ImageImageImageImageImage

To those saying we need a second scorer...

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Harold_and_Kumar
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,656

To those saying we need a second scorer... 

Post#1 » by Harold_and_Kumar » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:09 am

Over the past while, many on this board have been talking about needing a second scorer to go with Bosh. Many of the players that have been proposed have obvious flaws, and that has led people to completely dismiss them, only looking for the perfect player. The reality is, the perfect player will never be available and if you could trade for him the only inevitability in that trade would be you getting fleeced.

From looking at our roster, there are two players that are capable of creating for themselves and meet the first criterion of belief in their shot-taking abilities. From looking at our current roster, I would suggest those two players are Jose Calderon and Carlos Delfino. I am not sold on Bosh's confidence down the stretch of games to make an outside shot.

Based on the theory i proposed above, I think Jamal Crawford is a very good option. Although he shoots a low percentage (not that horrible for a guard that shoots a fair amount, and also remember he plays on the knicks which equates to less open shots), we need a player that actually believes that he is going to make the shot he is taking down the stretch of games and has enough swagger and skills to hit it. His current stats are:

FG% - .410
3FG% - .324
PPG - 19.2
AST - 4.6
REB - 2.9
STL - 1.1

One of our problems is in the clutch of games when we need to make a basket, and Bosh is not producing, we fall way behind because everyone loses confidence. We need a player that can somewhat create for himself, and has a swagger to him.

Last year Crawford made 6 clutch shots for his team, which is actually ahead of Arenas, Terry, Bibby, Garnett and Billups as a few notables...
Rooster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11

Post#2 » by Rooster » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:43 am

Crawford's FG% and defence are terrible considering his contract. I'd only look at him if we weren't giving much back.

Also, check out the thread I posted in the OTC board, I updated it. Yes, you specifically.
Schadenfreude wrote:Not going to lie, if I found out that one of the seemingly illiterate morons we'd banned on the Raptors board was Primoz Brezec, it'd pretty much make my decade.
yaronlev
Junior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by yaronlev » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:05 am

I agree about the need for a 2nd scorer, and I like Crawford too.

But I think there's a better option out there, and his name is Ben Gordon.
I think I'd trade anyone not named Bosh, Parker or Calderon to get him.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#4 » by tecumseh18 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:40 am

yaronlev wrote:But I think there's a better option out there, and his name is Ben Gordon.
I think I'd trade anyone not named Bosh, Parker or Calderon to get him.

I'd love to see a backcourt of TJ and BG. And when I say "I", I mean every other playoff team in the Eastern Conference.
REM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#5 » by REM » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:16 pm

C-Maggs
AlvinWilliams_fan
Analyst
And1: 18

Post#6 » by AlvinWilliams_fan » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:24 pm

i like jc also. really think the guy is a 25 pt per game threat on a diff team then the knicks. so much offense this guy has but his def is another story. get er done BC
My Game is Raptors Basketball
FIRE BRYAN COLANGELO RIGHT NOW
Waylon Mercy wrote:DeMar please F*ck my Wife PLEASE!!!!!!!
rdtx2005
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#7 » by rdtx2005 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:26 pm

AlvinWilliams_fan wrote:i like jc also. really think the guy is a 25 pt per game threat on a diff team then the knicks. so much offense this guy has but his def is another story. get er done BC

you are smoking way too much weed there...
AlvinWilliams_fan
Analyst
And1: 18

Post#8 » by AlvinWilliams_fan » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:33 pm

rdtx2005 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

you are smoking way too much weed there...

4real man? you dont think so? i serisously think jc has that kinda threat hes so gifted offensively

k maybe not 25+ but at least 20
My Game is Raptors Basketball
FIRE BRYAN COLANGELO RIGHT NOW
Waylon Mercy wrote:DeMar please F*ck my Wife PLEASE!!!!!!!
rdtx2005
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#9 » by rdtx2005 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:04 pm

AlvinWilliams_fan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

4real man? you dont think so? i serisously think jc has that kinda threat hes so gifted offensively

k maybe not 25+ but at least 20

i saw he is about 18 ppg (though he is average close to 20 this year)
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#10 » by 5DOM » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:10 pm

the problem with our team is that we dont have much assets that can get us a good player.

here are players who are actually worth something (that might get us the second scorer we need):

bosh: untouchable
bargs: think BC is willing to wait a bit longer.
tj and jose: people love forderon.

and outside of these players, all we have are just good players (not enough to get us the second scorer). humps might have some value, we need him.

unless we add a pick or two, i cant see us getting a good player without giving up the four players mentioned.
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#11 » by Komodo » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:28 pm

I like Crawford but his FG% over his career is a concern.
bill russell
Pro Prospect
And1: 65

Post#12 » by bill russell » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:09 pm

our fourth quarter problems are ball movement and lack of penetration. bosh gets frustrated because he's double and triple teamed and no one else is a threat to get to the rim. Jose shouldn't be scoring more than about 16-18 a game when the offense is running properly.
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#13 » by supersub15 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:12 pm

With TJ out, our scoring depth chart, looks like this:
Bosh 21 ppg
Calderon 11.6 ppg
Parker 11.1 ppg

And the rest are under 10 ppg.

But the problem is not that none of our players is capable of dropping 18 to 20 ppg. The problem is that NONE of our players breaks the 35 minutes barrier. And apart from Bosh, none of them breaks the 10 FGA per game.

What that means is that Sam Mitchell will break the spirit of any player that we might get in a trade. If you think that Jamal Crawford will be allowed to hoist 16.4 shots per game (when Bosh only gets 15.5 FGA), then you are sorely mistaken.

I think we already have a good second scorer, and his name is Andrea Bargnani. Unfortunately, right now, due to his lackadaisacal defense and rebounding, he can't stay on the floor long enough. When he's played consistently enough, Sam has kept him on the floor. Statistically, he's been allowed to play more than 30 minutes in 11 games so far. In those 11 games, he's averaged:
33.7 minutes, 13.4 FGA (46 FG%), 16.8 ppg

If he can fight through his defensive and rebounding woes, he can help this team immensely, more than Crawford or any other high-volume shooting scrub you can come up with.
dinosaur_dan
Pro Prospect
And1: 30

Post#14 » by dinosaur_dan » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:24 pm

JC is a key component of an utterly dysfunctional disaster of a knicks team. He's a shot-happy ballhog who has never played on a winning team.

I don't care what his numbers are, and I don't care about his talent. I would not want him on the raps.
alysomji
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#15 » by alysomji » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:28 pm

dinosaur_dan wrote:JC is a key component of an utterly dysfunctional disaster of a knicks team. He's a shot-happy ballhog who has never played on a winning team.

I don't care what his numbers are, and I don't care about his talent. I would not want him on the raps.

Same here.

This guy's a born loser. He also gives up as much or more points on defense than he gives you on offense.

He's a skilled player but I don't like his game or attitude.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,921

Post#16 » by JN » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:16 pm

People who like Crawford should be deported from Canada.
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,559

Post#17 » by Mak » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:24 pm

Crawford would be a very good second scoring option.....on a LOTTERY TEAM.

Return to Toronto Raptors