ImageImageImageImage

SVG and his frankness

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

thepantypeeler
Sophomore
And1: 0

SVG and his frankness 

Post#1 » by thepantypeeler » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:42 am

Tonight during the post-game quotes Stan van Damme said something that really struck a chord with me. Talking about Rashard being more aggresive and showing the others sides of his game, he specifically said that it is all the his own/the coach's fault that Rashard has been taking too many 3's and seems passive. That he is just doing what he is being told to do and I loved this.

This is completely SVG being a big time coach and deflecting all the attention away from Rashard and onto himself. So while it may definitely be Rashard being too passive (or it may not), he totally puts it onto himself.

with that being said, Rashard definitely has been playing more aggresive and I love it.

I feel that SVG definitely has us on the right track and it's going to take a little bit for everyone to settle into their roles. We have to realize this is SVG's first season, Rashard's first season, and Dwight and co.'s first season in this system.
TooNice00
Banned User

Post#2 » by TooNice00 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:50 am

the question is as rashards role expands will hedo suffer?
MagicFan3
Banned User
And1: 19

Post#3 » by MagicFan3 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:57 am

TooNice00 wrote:the question is as rashards role expands will hedo suffer?

Does it matter? Hedo will still have a role on this team... it doesn't make a difference who out of Rashard and Hedo is doing the best... and quite frankly, it may be for the best that the guy we're paying $118 mil is the one to succeed.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,514

Post#4 » by DiplomaticMagic » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:00 am

STOP PLAYING FULTZ
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,416

Post#5 » by UCFJayBird » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:29 am

I've been telling people since the start that Rashard is not to blame. He's playing out of position and being told be SVG to shoot a lot of 3s. It's not hard to see why his play has struggled this season so far.
darthcheech2000
Sixth Man
And1: 399

Post#6 » by darthcheech2000 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:36 am

I would love for Rashard to post up more. He is pretty much money everytime.

Say we traded for a better PF and let Shard go to SF. He could over power most SF posting up and let it rain threes a little less often.

Just an idea but what would it take to get a guy like Al Harrington?

Nelson
Turk
Lewis
Harrington
Howard

One can dream.
let paid professionals do their job, don't you try and do it for them...
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 956

Post#7 » by Devin 1L » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:53 am

This is exactly why I like Stan so much.
TheRevTy
Starter

Post#8 » by TheRevTy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:24 am

darthcheech2000 wrote:I would love for Rashard to post up more. He is pretty much money everytime.

Say we traded for a better PF and let Shard go to SF. He could over power most SF posting up and let it rain threes a little less often.

Nelson
Turk
Lewis
Harrington
Howard

One can dream.

Harrington seems to be in and out of the starting lineup in GS, so maybe he's a little more available? I always wonder about guys like Troy Murphy, Boris Diaw, Harrington, Charlie V. They seem like they would be such great fits with the team (unless I am misinformed and they play Garrity defense, which, if such is the case, disregard)
TNMagicFan
Head Coach
And1: 243

Post#9 » by TNMagicFan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:28 am

It's refreshing to have a coach who tells it like it is
huge4
Senior

Post#10 » by huge4 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:50 am

darthcheech2000 wrote:I would love for Rashard to post up more. He is pretty much money everytime.

Bingo.

I've lived in Seattle the last 11 years and while I was never that high on Shard, the version we've seen in Orlando this season is not the player we signed.

I said this from the go when people were talking about playing him at the PF (in fact people on this board slammed a thread I started this summer about it). The reason Lewis was an allstar caliber player for the Sonics was more about his post up game than anything else. He can deystroy most SFs in the post. Making him play the PF is like tying one arm behind his back.

Believe it or not, he is the Magic's best post player right now. He's just too light to do it against bigger players. He will be worth his contract (well, close too) to this team if we can move him back to the 3.[/i]
“There are maybe a handful of players in the history of the NBA who could’ve made that play.”
-Spurs play-by-play after Dwight posterized Duncan for the game winner
Hairy Midget
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#11 » by Hairy Midget » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:19 am

Stan Van Gundy is a coach that you keep around for 10 years.

And not in the Jerry Sloan mold. SVG is a guy that will roll with the changes of the NBA and do whatever it takes to win with whatever he has.
thepantypeeler
Sophomore

Post#12 » by thepantypeeler » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:58 am

we are in dire need of a big strong point guard who can stop the penetration to the hole. we also are in dire need of a big strong PF who can rebound. Since that seems like the easier thing to get, I think we need to make a trade to accomplish this. We will not be serious contenders until we do one of these.

My ideal player : Udonis Haslem

Miami needs so much help right now, I feel like we could package something for them. Definitely include J.J. (replacing Kapono who played so well for them last year) and someone else. ****, I would give some serious thought to trading Hedo for Haslem and someone else. On second thought, the only two players on that team that would start on another team in the league are Wade and Haslem and they aren't giving him up

Anyone else have some ideas for a PF?
MagicNolesFSU
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#13 » by MagicNolesFSU » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:26 am

Nelson
Turk
Lewis
Harrington
Howard

One can dream.

the only thing i dont like about this line up is there is noone on the floor to guard the other teams best player.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Post#14 » by drsd » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:54 am

Back to the Rashard comments by StM, we can see that already this is reality.

Lewis went to the foul line often against the Bulls. That's a sign of aggressive play being rewarded.
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#15 » by NEM » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:34 pm

i would expect alot more from someone who makes 118 million than 36 million
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
paperboymafia
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#16 » by paperboymafia » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:01 pm

shard is making me v happy of late
CraZyPraiZ
Starter
And1: 700

Post#17 » by CraZyPraiZ » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:34 pm

Joakim noah is probably very available.
knappy
Junior

Post#18 » by knappy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:55 am

I think Stan is a phenomenal coach - doing well without another big man to go along with Dwight.

We really do need a pick up at PF and put Lewis back to SF - Hedo can find minutes off the bench - he can play the 2 and some minutes at the 3 - I think you can find 25 minutes plus for Hedo
LiteHedded
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by LiteHedded » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:19 pm

CraZyPraiZ wrote:Joakim noah is probably very available.

he rubs me the wrong way
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#20 » by mhectorgato » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:02 pm

CraZyPraiZ wrote:Joakim noah is probably very available.

For what reasons though?

Do those reasons make him more desirable?

There are reasons why things are sold at loss ...
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.

Return to Orlando Magic