ImageImageImageImage

Some weaknesses - needing improvement

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

knappy
Junior
And1: 0

Some weaknesses - needing improvement 

Post#1 » by knappy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:41 am

Some areas where the Magic are coming up short ...

Passing - many players on the team are doing a poor job at passing - Hedo can make a nice pass, but has some mental lapses and may throw the ball out of bounds and he doesn't know how to make a bounce pass.

The problem with the passing is that it leads to turnovers.

Jameer, not taking or looking for his shot enough - he can get open looks, but he is looking to distribute too much. I think he'll figure it out, but we need him to play well for this team to click and we have suffered from his funk - I think he'll come around, but I expected more of him this season.

JJ, you need to give the guy a shot to play - you can't say we have defensive stoppers on this team - give the guy a shot or trade him for a decent big man - package him for a solid strong big man to help inside.

Mental aspects - I think Stan will get this team on track, but they need work with their mental games - they don't have that attitude of wanting to win every game and bringing it at all times. They need to pick up the intensity and put teams away. They can get big leads, but they can't keep it going.

Dwight, has got to get better with his turnovers and passing - he is showing improvement, but he has to be willing to kick that ball out and I don't know what you do about the free throw shooting - he looks like he should be shooting around 75% and he isn't. Hopefully, it will come around.

Defense, it needs to get better. Sometimes I see the effort, but too often other teams are getting dunks or shots right at the basket or a wide open three - more so I see the easy baskets by the rim. Also, the Magic are giving up too many offensive rebounds.

SVG, I think is doing a great job, but it is not translating into wins. I think he is an excellent coach.

The management and GM, although better from what we had to deal with for about 15 years prior, still are making a lot of mistakes that will hurt this team - over paying for Lewis (restricts us on getting other talent), letting Darko walk - so stupid - he should have been signed the year prior, and many mistakes in past years.

We need some defensive hustle guys.

Anyway, I don't know where I am going in this thread - I really saw passing as a big problem and the main cause of the turnovers - can't they do some passing drills?

Any comments? Problems you see along with the solutions to fix them?
Hairy Midget
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#2 » by Hairy Midget » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:45 am

The biggest problem is everyone sags off of their man when they don't have the ball. You don't need to play help defense on every person that touches the ball. Just stick to your **** man so he doesn't catch it and make an uncontested three because you're a dumbass.
grayson11
Bench Warmer
And1: 58

Post#3 » by grayson11 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:54 am

Well when it comes to Dwight passing out of the low-post: I think small runs towards the basket by our backcourt has been helping Dwight develop some sort of vision while he's workin' his man. (eg. Mo's run's while Dwight's taking on his man really helps remind Dwight that his teammates are open and can score. I really saw some easy baskets as a result of this as of late... for Evans at least)
TooNice00
Banned User

Post#4 » by TooNice00 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:00 am

improvement needed? no more arroyo and keyon.
Hairy Midget
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#5 » by Hairy Midget » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:00 am

I think some people are also forgetting that this team isn't done yet. We are not in our prime until Dwight Howard is in his prime.

We've still got trade assets and MLE's to use. Once Dwight gets even better, FAs will flock to us not only because of Dwight, but because it's in sunny Orlando.

This isn't the end result of our team. We still have a long way to go. We've done pretty well considering our schedule.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,430

Post#6 » by DiplomaticMagic » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:01 am

I'm glad you mentioned Jameer Nelson. His shots is way down. And if u look at his percentage. He's not shooting bad at all. And nobody really realized this. We need a true pg for Jameer to come off the bench. Giving him the opportunity to score and not relying his game too much on distrubuting.
Stop playing Fultz
Play AB and Goga
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,430

Post#7 » by DiplomaticMagic » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:05 am

The Magic rely on offense too much that they can't be wear themselves on the Defensive end that much. That's what the problem is. And we are counting on jumpers to win the game. When our shooters aren't even that consistent. Dwight should be involved in 85% of our possesions. He needs to get better in knowing where the open player is and kick the dish to him.
Stop playing Fultz
Play AB and Goga
TooNice00
Banned User

Post#8 » by TooNice00 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:07 am

yeah we are not a finished product. but it is very frustrating watching flurries of turnovers, mental mistakes, and complete breakdowns.
MoGrAdY
RealGM
And1: 118

Post#9 » by MoGrAdY » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:12 am

Your all wrong, our biggest weakness is that we suck.
TooNice00
Banned User

Post#10 » by TooNice00 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:17 am

^lol thats the truth. no need to be making excuses for this team.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#11 » by KingRobb02 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:22 pm

The Blazers are far from a finished product as well, and they don't lose games at home or blow 15 point leads. Just face it. This team came out the gate hot, and now we just look fatigued.
LiteHedded
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by LiteHedded » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:22 pm

Hairy Midget wrote:The biggest problem is everyone sags off of their man when they don't have the ball. You don't need to play help defense on every person that touches the ball. Just stick to your **** man so he doesn't catch it and make an uncontested three because you're a dumbass.

bingo
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Post#13 » by fendilim » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:08 pm

I love you knappy.

edit. no homo. lol

anyway, this team is far from being a contender, IMO. It needs to be consistent first.
Magicalltheway
Analyst
And1: 134

Post#14 » by Magicalltheway » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:21 pm

DiplomaticMagic wrote:I'm glad you mentioned Jameer Nelson. His shots is way down. And if u look at his percentage. He's not shooting bad at all. And nobody really realized this. We need a true pg for Jameer to come off the bench. Giving him the opportunity to score and not relying his game too much on distrubuting.

Couldnt agree more. Jameer makes an excellent 2 tier pg, not a starting pg.

What this team lacks is a burning desire, that fire, that attitude of we must win or else, yes kind of like KG's attitude. Not one person on our team has that hunger. Some one to kick the chair in the locker room when we lose.
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#15 » by theTHIEF » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:29 pm

when was the last time a team extended a PG, and then signed a starting caliber PG and had the previous extended PG come off the bench?
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Post#16 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:17 pm

This team needs that one leader like Darrell that would fire them up and get them to look up when a team makes a run. The Magic up by 19, about 7 mins later the game is tied. The team looked soo freaking deflated i knew they had no chance to win. Giving up 2nd half double digit leads to Mem, NJ, Indy, and now Cha all in the same way. All collapses, all mental.
aka: prorl
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#17 » by craig01 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:46 pm

Lack of depth killed this team last night.

Along with lack of "D" and of course the Magic bread and butter "O".

Give Wallace and Richardson credit, their wing play was devastating.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#18 » by theTHIEF » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:48 pm

it's the same thing game in and game out...every time we lose, it's the exact same thing...

no bench, no defense, no heart, too many turnovers etc. etc. it just frustrates me that we cant learn from 22 games and work on some of these issues...
Magicalltheway
Analyst
And1: 134

Post#19 » by Magicalltheway » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:03 pm

thEthIEf wrote:it's the same thing game in and game out...every time we lose, it's the exact same thing...

no bench, no defense, no heart, too many turnovers etc. etc. it just frustrates me that we cant learn from 22 games and work on some of these issues...

exactly, when a team loses by making certain mistakes, they go back realize what mistakes they make and CORRECT them. It starts from individual effort. I hate to say it but is it lack of IQ or meer laziness.
TooNice00
Banned User

Post#20 » by TooNice00 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:26 pm

our problem is basically what every person predicted. we have no bench (seriously you could probably make a case now that bogans is the best player off our bench which is just sad) and we have a horrible back court. and we have problems on defense because battie got injured. lets face it this team sucks and the only reason we are even half way decent is because of howards play this year. but we don't even try to make him the focus of our team which is just utterly stupid. instead we would rather let freakin hedo turkoglu chuck up the most shots. really? why hedo took more shots(despite playing 8 less minutes) than dwight howard vs charlotte i will never understand. and this happens daily.

Return to Orlando Magic