ImageImageImageImage

On the Dan Sileo Show Otis......

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

magictreat
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

On the Dan Sileo Show Otis...... 

Post#1 » by magictreat » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:10 pm

I was listening this morning to Dan SIleo, on 540AM, and Otis Smith was interviewed as part of the Inside Magic segment, this guy is oblivious, to the problems the team roster has.
When asked by Sileo if he see any need to make some changes , inmediately he said no, he do not believe, in quick fixes, and what the players need to do is maximize their potential.
Also Sileo presented him with an hypotetical scenario, for a trade for Jason Kidd, involving Jameer and Hedo plus fillers, the answer no way.
So I guess we are stuck with what we have, I still have the hope , Otis was only bluffing, but if he was telling the truth, then we Magic fans will experience another rollercoaster season, because this team roster, have more holes than a piece of swiss cheese. :pray:
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#2 » by theTHIEF » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:13 pm

sounds like we'll be getting Jason Kidd any day now, yes!
Rick Rolled
General Manager
And1: 3,705

Post#3 » by Rick Rolled » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:15 pm

Bring back Puck......

Bucs80
Analyst
And1: 1

Re: On the Dan Sileo Show Otis...... 

Post#4 » by Bucs80 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:28 pm

magictreat wrote:I was listening this morning to Dan SIleo, on 540AM, and Otis Smith was interviewed as part of the Inside Magic segment, this guy is oblivious, to the problems the team roster has.
When asked by Sileo if he see any need to make some changes , inmediately he said no, he do not believe, in quick fixes, and what the players need to do is maximize their potential.
Also Sileo presented him with an hypotetical scenario, for a trade for Jason Kidd, involving Jameer and Hedo plus fillers, the answer no way.
So I guess we are stuck with what we have, I still have the hope , Otis was only bluffing, but if he was telling the truth, then we Magic fans will experience another rollercoaster season, because this team roster, have more holes than a piece of swiss cheese. :pray:

I hate otis
litex wrote:I'm pretty sure that, no matter what he does, Lebron will never have "tittles" like Shaquille O'Neal does, or for that matter, Chales Barkley.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,133

Post#5 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:49 pm

Why bother listening to Otis? He double talks and keeps his cards close to him. Just because he says there is no trade in the works dont mean he hasent explored it. I remember him saying that he was happy with Francis and a week later he was gone. The Ariza trade came out of nowhere. No one knew it was gonna happen. I dont know why people put emphasis on what Otis mumbles.
aka: prorl
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Post#6 » by UCF » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:50 pm

I don't get all the hate on Otis, you guys act as if he should come out and lay his cards down for all to read. This guy got us a better coach, got dwight signed to a long term contract, brought in a very solid player in Lewis(whom I think will get better), etc.

Yes we need a better pg, but so does more than half of the league. Get over it. I wouldn't want J-Kidd here either, he's getting old and costs wayyy too much.

The historically successful teams are the ones who have been together playing for a while. Give them time to get it together.
pikimagic
Analyst
And1: 2

Post#7 » by pikimagic » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:54 pm

^^^agree with UCF ..to much hate and I think we are in the first 4 in the playoff seed ....
Chorro e' locos!
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#8 » by theTHIEF » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:02 pm

i actually like Otis...

:uhoh:
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#9 » by MagicMadness » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:06 pm

Possibly Otis has tested the waters and there aren't any great trades out there?

He'll make a move if it's best for the team. With rare exception (Celtics), championship-caliber teams aren't built in a year. We're leading our division. Enjoy it.
MagicFan3
Banned User
And1: 19

Post#10 » by MagicFan3 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:17 pm

I'm starting to miss John Gabriel.
Hairy Midget
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#11 » by Hairy Midget » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:25 pm

Wait, so he's supposed to say what players he wants to trade?

You guys are **** (Please Use More Appropriate Word)
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#12 » by Max Power » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:54 pm

Yeah, I'm sure Otis wants to go Hey, we got Jameer and Hedo on sale for the cheap, because we hate Nelson and Hedo is our only valuable piece" right on live media outlets. Our team has holes, and I know Smith knows that. Did anyone ever think there may not be a whole lot out there to be traded for. Maybe the rest of the NBA doesn't want what the Magic offer.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
mttingly2391
Sophomore

Post#13 » by mttingly2391 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:58 pm

Otis is a terrible GM. I agree that he should not publicize his intentions regarding the trade deadline, but c'mon. Great he got Dwight signed to a long term deal. What a surprise. Dwight is the king here and he plays on a competitive team. Did anyone think he would pass up a max offer. Anyone could have gotten that done. He signed Rashard...I agreed and still agree with that signing. But its not like other teams were throwing him the kind of money we were. There was not compeition for Rashard. It was not like when we signed TMac and G Hill (what happened with them in the long run has nothing to do wit this post).

To get a real grasp on Otis you have to look at what his moves have done for our team long term.

Jameer: how can you give this guy an extension after last season was way worse than the season before. Terrible move.

Francis trade to NY: this deal turned into overpaying for Rashard and basically just getting Mo Evans since B. Cook will never crack our rotation.

Cato to Det: Great at the time. But we lost Darko (terrible considering he signed for only 7mill/season) and lost a good draft pick.

Fran Vasquez: Don't get me started.

JJ: another wasted lottery pick. The GM has to make sure that he is drafting a player that the coach will absolutely play.

Battie: No one mentions how his contract is one of the worst in the league. Forget that he is injured this year, but he is making almost the same amount of money as Turk. When healthy he isn't even close to a starting PF.

Ariza: terrible trade. At the time it looked good, but how can you pick up B. Cook if SVG isn't going to ever play him. Evans has maxed out his potential and Ariza is already just about as good as he is and will get better.

*Drafting Dwight and signing Van Gundy are the only two moves that Otis has made that are good. Otis has no clue what he is doing. When he makes moves that initially look appealing for this team, he manages to screw them up in the long run.
MagicNolesFSU
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#14 » by MagicNolesFSU » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:03 pm

you guys are dumb if you actually want otis come out and say yeah im trading JJ and expirings.......
Illuminati wrote:MagicNoles is a g. Don't bring beef and there ain't no beef.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,179

Post#15 » by cedric76 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:11 pm

mttingly2391 wrote:
Jameer: how can you give this guy an extension after last season was way worse than the season before. Terrible move.

Francis trade to NY: this deal turned into overpaying for Rashard and basically just getting Mo Evans since B. Cook will never crack our rotation.

Cato to Det: Great at the time. But we lost Darko (terrible considering he signed for only 7mill/season) and lost a good draft pick.
darko wasn't obviously in his plan

was teh best big man available

JJ: another wasted lottery pick. The GM has to make sure that he is drafting a player that the coach will absolutely play.
he needed someone to spread the floor

Battie: No one mentions how his contract is one of the worst in the league. Forget that he is injured this year, but he is making almost the same amount of money as Turk. When healthy he isn't even close to a starting PF.
battie has one of the best contract in the league for a C

Ariza: terrible trade. At the time it looked good, but how can you pick up B. Cook if SVG isn't going to ever play him. Evans has maxed out his potential and Ariza is already just about as good as he is and will get better.
evans is fitting our team better than ariza and cook might be a great back up PF as we saw yesteray

*Drafting Dwight and signing Van Gundy are the only two moves that Otis has made that are good. Otis has no clue what he is doing. When he makes moves that initially look appealing for this team, he manages to screw them up in the long run.
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#16 » by theTHIEF » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:13 pm

not to mention the Francis trade was BRILLIANT...
mattyBoi
Head Coach
And1: 877

Post#17 » by mattyBoi » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:24 pm

mttingly2391 wrote:Otis is a terrible GM. I agree that he should not publicize his intentions regarding the trade deadline, but c'mon. Great he got Dwight signed to a long term deal. What a surprise. Dwight is the king here and he plays on a competitive team. Did anyone think he would pass up a max offer. Anyone could have gotten that done. He signed Rashard...I agreed and still agree with that signing. But its not like other teams were throwing him the kind of money we were. There was not compeition for Rashard. It was not like when we signed TMac and G Hill (what happened with them in the long run has nothing to do wit this post).

To get a real grasp on Otis you have to look at what his moves have done for our team long term.

Are you my long lost twin???

You forgot to mention the fact that we hired Stan Van Gundy by chance and were actually going to sign Billy Bail Out.

And the fact that Weisbrod actually drafted Dwight.

Although i dont agree about Battie...Thats my boy.
doct3r dr3
RealGM
And1: 2,494

Post#18 » by doct3r dr3 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:24 pm

mttingly2391 wrote:Otis is a terrible GM. I agree that he should not publicize his intentions regarding the trade deadline, but c'mon. Great he got Dwight signed to a long term deal. What a surprise. Dwight is the king here and he plays on a competitive team. Did anyone think he would pass up a max offer. Anyone could have gotten that done. He signed Rashard...I agreed and still agree with that signing. But its not like other teams were throwing him the kind of money we were. There was not compeition for Rashard. It was not like when we signed TMac and G Hill (what happened with them in the long run has nothing to do wit this post).

"I get no respect, I tell ya..."
BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.
mttingly2391
Sophomore

Post#19 » by mttingly2391 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:34 pm

Cedric:

-Obviously Darko wasn't in his plan, but that was a big mistake. I know he is not having a great year, or even a good year, but he is exactly what this team lacks now. He worked well with Dwight too.

-Fran Vasquez: you think Fran was the best big available? Sean May and David Lee were available. I have inside sources that say the Magic never even asked if he was ready to come over here. Plus , I know he is not a big but Danny Granger was on the board too.

-JJ: You're right we did need someone to spread the floor. But you have to know that your coach is definitely going to play someone you take at 11.

Battie: Kendrick Perkins, ZaZa Pchulia, Reggie Evans, Brendan Haywood, Diop and Chris Mihm all of better contracts than Battie. Battie is making Nick Collison money...who would you rather pay that money to?

Ariza: Evans only fits our team slightly better because he is a decent outside shooter. Ariza fit our team because we need someone with his wingspan to guard top players that are killing us (Gerald Wallace). I thought Cook would fit in nicely with our team, but let's not say he might be a great back up PF after he has one good game in 2 months. He didn't even play last night. Obviously he doesn't fit into SVG way of thinking.
mattyBoi
Head Coach
And1: 877

Post#20 » by mattyBoi » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:37 pm

Ariza would be a great trading chip right now

Return to Orlando Magic