ImageImageImageImage

OT - Cloverfield Movie No Spoilers

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MJallday59
Veteran
And1: 116

OT - Cloverfield Movie No Spoilers 

Post#1 » by MJallday59 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:32 pm

What's up everyone!

Good friend of mine saw the movie and said it was awesome! From what I'm hearing---it's definately worth the hype! Anybody going to see it on opening day?
mattyBoi
Lead Assistant
And1: 860

Post#2 » by mattyBoi » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:35 pm

What is the monster!!!!!
MJallday59
Veteran

Post#3 » by MJallday59 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:37 pm

No fun in spoiling it for you.... You won't be dissapointed.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#4 » by magicman123 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:42 pm

from what i heard, the movie was absolutely stupid, the story and everything was dumb and the camcorder gets annoying...but i havent seen it yet, just heard from a few different people..everyone has different taste though right? could be good
LiteHedded
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#5 » by LiteHedded » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:46 pm

all the reviews I've seen so far on AICN are positive
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Post#6 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:47 pm

I saw the trailer the other day when i went to see Sweeney Todd and honestly I got dizzy because the camera moves around soo much. I dont know how I can watch the whole movie.
aka: prorl
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#7 » by magicman123 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:51 pm

prorl wrote:I saw the trailer the other day when i went to see Sweeney Todd and honestly I got dizzy because the camera moves around soo much. I dont know how I can watch the whole movie.

how was sweeney todd?
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#8 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:53 pm

magicman123 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

how was sweeney todd?

It was so so. I didnt like the way it ended. And the chick i was with didnt like it.
recko321
Pro Prospect
And1: 168

Post#9 » by recko321 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:07 pm

prorl wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It was so so. I didnt like the way it ended. And the chick i was with didnt like it.

BUT. did she like you? thats the real question.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#10 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:13 pm

recko321 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

BUT. did she like you? thats the real question.

Man what kind of question is that? Heck yea she did.

:D
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#11 » by damo[23] » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:06 pm

Is it just me or does Sweeney Todd look like a cross between Edward Sisscor Hands and Captain Jack Sparrow, and Moulin Rouge thrown in for good measure.
MagicNolesFSU
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#12 » by MagicNolesFSU » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:22 pm

I hate going into a movie and having no idea what its about. Ive seen the commercial like three times and still dunno whats goin on.

can you tell us what the plot is without spoiling it for us?
Illuminati wrote:MagicNoles is a g. Don't bring beef and there ain't no beef.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by damo[23] » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:25 pm

MagicNolesFSU wrote:I hate going into a movie and having no idea what its about. Ive seen the commercial like three times and still dunno whats goin on.

can you tell us what the plot is without spoiling it for us?

Without seening a trailor for it since transformers I think its something along the line of:

Big gribbly thing attacks new york, everyone runs around scared, and 1 person records it on a home camera, while running around scared.

Sprinkle some random heroics, ultra hot hottie that hooks up randomly with the main character, despite the bed wetting fear, and probably a dog, they all have dogs now these movies and you've got your self another mindless action movie, which we'll see in 6 to 8 months, shot at a different time of day with a slightly different rehashed 70's monster and/or robot?

Am I close?

Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#14 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:28 pm

I can see some people walking out thru the middle because they got dizzy of the shaking camera.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by damo[23] » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:31 pm

prorl wrote:I can see some people walking out thru the middle because they got dizzy of the shaking camera.

Wasnt doom like that? I never saw it.

I heard stories that in the original version of the movie before it got editted etc.. that people were literally vomitting from motion sickness during test screenings.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#16 » by Bensational » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:22 pm

Cloverfield.... meh. that's about all it is. meh.

i saw it yesterday and was actually expecting it to be the worst movie ever (because NOTHING can live up to hype like that). because my expectations were so low i could only really be surprised. i came out of it with the same feeling i had when i came out of Independence Day.

these things bugged me:

*camcorder is way overdone and disorientating. i couldn't handle it in Blair Witch and i only just managed to handle it in this.

*absolutely no information on the monster. no discussion of what it is, where it's come from or anything like that (helllllooooooo sequals.....)

these things i liked:

*the camcorder effect was actually brilliant in the parts where they run through streets and through conflict. it's like being in a really engaging first person game.

*it didn't go overboard with showing the monster, which kept you in suspense and actually made me crane my neck a few times hoping i'd get a better look (yeah, like one of those (Please Use More Appropriate Word) kids who moves the controller when he plays video games).

all in all..... meh. you won't be too disappointed if you watch it. you won't be blown away either.
MJallday59
Veteran

Post#17 » by MJallday59 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:29 am

Bensational wrote:Cloverfield.... meh. that's about all it is. meh.

i saw it yesterday and was actually expecting it to be the worst movie ever (because NOTHING can live up to hype like that). because my expectations were so low i could only really be surprised. i came out of it with the same feeling i had when i came out of Independence Day.

these things bugged me:

*camcorder is way overdone and disorientating. i couldn't handle it in Blair Witch and i only just managed to handle it in this.

*absolutely no information on the monster. no discussion of what it is, where it's come from or anything like that (helllllooooooo sequals.....)

these things i liked:

*the camcorder effect was actually brilliant in the parts where they run through streets and through conflict. it's like being in a really engaging first person game.

*it didn't go overboard with showing the monster, which kept you in suspense and actually made me crane my neck a few times hoping i'd get a better look (yeah, like one of those (Please Use More Appropriate Word) kids who moves the controller when he plays video games).

all in all..... meh. you won't be too disappointed if you watch it. you won't be blown away either.

Movie was good overall! Without spoiling too much..

1. Monster is not Godzilla

2. Yes the girls are hot

3. There is a subplot of some sorts

4. JJ Abrams is both a Marketing Genius and a Directing Genius

I'll post a well written review tomorrow morning...not written by me but a critic from NYC.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#18 » by Bensational » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:22 am

MJallday59 wrote:4. JJ Abrams is both a Marketing Genius and a Directing Genius

i'd tend to agree, but i haven't seen any of the figures yet for box office sales.

every nerd on the net was talking about it (me included), but how many have gone to see it? i think the fact that the story was good (minues any explanation of the monster what-so-ever) and the good reviews will probably help bring the audiences in.
1eyedjake
General Manager
And1: 24

Post#19 » by 1eyedjake » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:00 am

MJallday59 wrote:
4. JJ Abrams is both a Marketing Genius and a Directing Genius

I'll post a well written review tomorrow morning...not written by me but a critic from NYC.

JJ Abrams did not direct, he produced. It's a common marketing tool for movies with a known producer and unknown director to attach 'from the creator/director of' and refer to the producer. So, yes, he is a marketing genius.
1eyedjake
General Manager
And1: 24

Post#20 » by 1eyedjake » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:02 am

damo[23] wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Without seening a trailor for it since transformers I think its something along the line of:

Big gribbly thing attacks new york, everyone runs around scared, and 1 person records it on a home camera, while running around scared.

Sprinkle some random heroics, ultra hot hottie that hooks up randomly with the main character, despite the bed wetting fear, and probably a dog, they all have dogs now these movies and you've got your self another mindless action movie, which we'll see in 6 to 8 months, shot at a different time of day with a slightly different rehashed 70's monster and/or robot?

Am I close?

Pretty much spot on.

Really, it wasn't that good. Lots of people like big, dumb movies though, so those people will like it.

Return to Orlando Magic