ImageImageImageImage

On the Dan Sileo Show Otis......

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

mattyBoi
Lead Assistant
And1: 860

Post#101 » by mattyBoi » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:42 pm

Jameer is pretty much getting Devin Harris money.

Which would equate to starter money.

And Jameer is no starter.

He is a spark plug off the bench ala Lindsey Hunter.
mattyBoi
Lead Assistant

Post#102 » by mattyBoi » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:43 pm

If we wouldve signed darko before the deadline he was asking for MUCH less.

I guarantee we wouldve still got Rashard.
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#103 » by mhectorgato » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:45 pm

mattyBoi wrote:And no matter what i believe it was otis that showed grant the door this summer.

He thought he had everything he needed and he was wrong.

We signed a starting SF with $hard. Was Grant going to be happy on the bench? Was Grant going to be happy with play out of position again?

I've changed my mind on the matter some what ... I think it was a mutual parting of the ways.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#104 » by theTHIEF » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:47 pm

mattyBoi wrote:So theif how do you explain trading an expiring and 1st round pick, for arroyo and darko.

Then not signing darko to an low extension when he had the chance.

Then going on to lose darko and have Detroit pick a nice player with our pick.

Not to mention the cap space Cato wouldve brought.

luckily for me, it's not my job to do the explaining...

i can give tidbits on my own thoughts, but they are not that of your's and are ultimately not the answers you seek...i think some people get so furious with things they start viewing everything with a 1 point perspective, even i have been guilty of this, but you just have to step back now and then...in a perfect world, we would know everything there is to know, and we would have an open channel of communication with Otis, and Otis would listen to us and take our ideas, and do what we say...

but that isn't how things work...he's in control...let him do what he does, and just wait to see what he comes up with...IMO we have not given the man enough time...

like i stated previously, there have been errors in hindsight...there absolutely have...but when you make a decision, you are sometimes FORCED to live with it...

today, the only think I am upset about are the draft picks...

Darko was a gamble to begin with, he was a flop up there, they knew what they had, other teams wanted to give him minutes thinking that Det. was wrong, Otis was praised for "stealing" him away, we traded what we could to acquire a young big man with loads of potential. it didn't work out...it happens...

Darko got impatient, and thought he should be top priority...someone didn't think the same way...Darko let his agent kill his chances of being included in the plans here...and im glad that came to light, so we could see what we were dealing with...

Otis was reserving funds for things, I cant tell you how to account for every dollar bill in the Magic's pocket, but Otis can...he had a plan...maybe it backfired...maybe it hasnt even all been unveiled yet...

im still waiting...

rome was not built in a day?

im not trying to go to the mat for Otis...not defending him or anything...like I stated, I have my own issue...but just dont be so harsh at this stage...there is not a one of us that is as informed as they'd like to believe when it comes to the facts here...
mhectorgato
RealGM

Post#105 » by mhectorgato » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:49 pm

mattyBoi wrote:If we wouldve signed darko before the deadline he was asking for MUCH less.

I forgot, how much was he asking for at that time? How much did he want later? How much did he sign for?

Had we signed his original offer, we'd not have the cap space to outright sign Shard. That being the case, we'd have deal with the Base Year issues which would have made the deal 1000% harder.

mattyBoi wrote:I guarantee we wouldve still got Rashard.

Well as long as you guarantee it ... :rolleyes:
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
mttingly2391
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#106 » by mttingly2391 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:50 pm

Look Otis screwed up on Darko big time. I wanted Grant to stay, but he might have been out the door no matter what Otis did for him anyway.

The Rashard signing is a great signing; but not for the money that he is getting. We could have easily signed him for 2/3 of what we are paying him. Plus to think that we just did the sign and trade to give him an extra year when he didn't even ask for it. He already agreed to the contract before that was thrown in there.

You're right about Jameer. He is not started. He wasn't even a pg in college. He played a lot of off guard. He will never be a true pg.

I like carlos a lot. And he is a solid back up, but Otis screw up on that deal. Everyone here said that its okay we traded our first rounder because Darko was in essence our first rounder last draft...if we would have resigned him. But Otis really screw that one up. He traded away a solid draft pick for a Darko rental and a back up pg. Not good.
mattyBoi
Lead Assistant

Post#107 » by mattyBoi » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:53 pm

mhectorgato wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

We signed a starting SF with $hard. Was Grant going to be happy on the bench? Was Grant going to be happy with play out of position again?

I've changed my mind on the matter some what ... I think it was a mutual parting of the ways.

I see what your saying and all but, to me, i dont think playing out of position would have much to do with it.

He played SG for a long time and pretty much plays SG in Phoenix.

Theres really not much of a difference between SG and SF.

Now im not saying Bogans can play SF, but for a guy like Hedo and Grant, its not that different.

I think that was just brought up as an excuse.
mttingly2391
Sophomore

Post#108 » by mttingly2391 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:54 pm

We could have still signed Rashard in the offseason and signed Darko for his 3yrs/21mill. But Otis burned those bridges already with Darko and his agent.

Now I know, we don't like all that pro athlete whining. And what was Otis supposed to do, apologize and give Darko a hug and make him feel like he was needed....YES. That is what it takes sometimes in pro sports. Whether you like Otis or not, he is somewhat cocky. He feels like he can do things however he wants to and just ignores how things work sometimes. If he needed to call up Darko and buy him some flowers he should have.
mhectorgato
RealGM

Post#109 » by mhectorgato » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:55 pm

mttingly2391 wrote:We could have still signed Rashard in the offseason and signed Darko for his 3yrs/21mill. But Otis burned those bridges already with Darko and his agent.

Now I know, we don't like all that pro athlete whining. And what was Otis supposed to do, apologize and give Darko a hug and make him feel like he was needed....YES. That is what it takes sometimes in pro sports. Whether you like Otis or not, he is somewhat cocky. He feels like he can do things however he wants to and just ignores how things work sometimes. If he needed to call up Darko and buy him some flowers he should have.

His new head coach called him a couple times and Darko didn't even return the calls.

Darko's only public statement was for his agent to do his job.
mattyBoi
Lead Assistant

Post#110 » by mattyBoi » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:57 pm

[quote="thEthIEf"][/quote]

Hey im with you brother, i hope he does have a plan and i hope he can make some moves within this next year to change my mind.

Its just so far he has been very mediocre as a gm.
mttingly2391
Sophomore

Post#111 » by mttingly2391 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:00 pm

mhectorgato: Do you not want to admit that Otis screwed up the Darko situation. I think if you like Otis or not everyone here can agree that that situation was messed up and that we obivosly needed him this year.
mattyBoi
Lead Assistant

Post#112 » by mattyBoi » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:08 pm

mattyBoi wrote:
If we wouldve signed darko before the deadline he was asking for MUCH less.

I forgot, how much was he asking for at that time? How much did he want later? How much did he sign for?

Im not sure of the exact number they were talking about but i know it was substantialy less. I dont wanna make a guess cause im not positive but if i can find ill post it.

It couldve happened, but otis chose to wait the season out, thus allowing darko to gain confidence and demand a huge contract.
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,331

Post#113 » by MagicMadness » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:26 pm

mttingly2391 wrote:mhectorgato: Do you not want to admit that Otis screwed up the Darko situation. I think if you like Otis or not everyone here can agree that that situation was messed up and that we obivosly needed him this year.

I wouldn't even consider it Otis "screwing up" the Darko situation.

Darko seems to be an angry headcase; I'm not sure I'd want him to be on the Magic at this point anymore. Don't get me wrong, he's a solid big man who still has potential, but there's just something about him I don't like. He's not exactly tearing it up in Memphis either, even though he's now a starter.
MoGrAdY
RealGM
And1: 118

Post#114 » by MoGrAdY » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:35 pm

Why are ppl still complaining about not having Darko? Dude is proving right now in Memphis he aint ****. Hes a bum.
TooNice00
Banned User

Post#115 » by TooNice00 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:44 pm

^lol. i know right. i am glad darko is gone. he is putting up 7ppg 6rpg and shooting 42% and getting paid 7 million. equivalent to he sucks. there is no potential left in him. he has been in the league 5 years and hasn't done anything.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#116 » by Cammo101 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:47 pm

MoGrAdY wrote:Why are ppl still complaining about not having Darko? Dude is proving right now in Memphis he aint ****. Hes a bum.

Agreed.
TooNice00
Banned User

Post#117 » by TooNice00 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:47 pm

no point in complaining about the darko situation. otis smith traded cato(useless) and a 1st for carlos and darko which was a good move. he didn't resign darko which was a good move. and hopefully carlos will be traded or not resigned which will be a good move. he didn't make out really good out of the deal but he didn't screw us over by signing darko and his lazy and psychotic ass.
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#118 » by theTHIEF » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:02 pm

could you imagine the talks if Otis had given Darko what he wanted and he played like this, AND we signed Shard? holy cow...now while there is a possibility Darko would play better next to Dwight etc. etc. I am so happy we got to let things rise to the surface and see just what Darko was made of, before we mortgaged anything else on a 7' junior high phenom...
mttingly2391
Sophomore

Post#119 » by mttingly2391 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:54 pm

Even if Darko played like this on our team this year we would be better off...who else is average 6rpg on our team besides Dwight? Only Turk. Plus darko was comfortable here I would think that he would be having a better season.
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#120 » by theTHIEF » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:04 pm

Rashard Lewis? he's averaging over 5...

Return to Orlando Magic