ImageImageImageImage

We Need a PF now before we suffer another wasted season

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

knappy
Junior
And1: 0

We Need a PF now before we suffer another wasted season 

Post#1 » by knappy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:49 pm

Last year the Magic kept BHill when they should have fired him around this time.

Now we have a good coach that is not the problem, but we don't have a good PF. Get us a good PF now so that we don't throw away the season.

With SVG we might pull it together and do decent, but to go far in the playoffs we need a solid PF. I guess they may wait until next year, but I'd like to see a move now - we have pieces we can move - JJ, Arroyo, Dooling, Garrity (with cash) - they'll take his cap relief if we'll pay them to take him, and we could even move Evans (I don't think anyone would take him - he is better than Garrity though).

If we move Arroyo we do need another PG to backup Nelson. Anyway, I'd like to see something happen - a PF that is tough and strong and can play defense and can score. He doesn't have to to be a star - just better than Tony Battie and that would probably work.
mttingly2391
Sophomore

Post#2 » by mttingly2391 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:58 pm

Yeah we need Darko..just kidding for everyone that was with me in the last one. I agree. We should tinker with this team a little to beef it up for the second half. I would hate to watch this season waste away and have to wait until next year again.
Fonzy1410
Freshman

Post#3 » by Fonzy1410 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:00 pm

I agree, we also need Trevor Ariza back...
TooNice00
Banned User

Post#4 » by TooNice00 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:01 pm

something should be done with the expirings if able. otherwise you are just throwing away your assets. it doesn't have to be for a PF but at least for someone good. however the sooner arroyo is gone the better and that probably goods for keyon too.
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#5 » by mhectorgato » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:01 pm

Fonzy1410 wrote:I agree, we also need Trevor Ariza back...

So that he can opt out at the end of the season?
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
Fonzy1410
Freshman

Post#6 » by Fonzy1410 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:02 pm

Good point, hopefully he does and re-signs with the Magic. SVG sits him on the bench and we trade him to the Lakers AGAIN, this time Jordan Farmar
Fonzy1410
Freshman

Post#7 » by Fonzy1410 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:05 pm

I'll bet you Chris Wilcox can be had for the right price
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,475

Post#8 » by DiplomaticMagic » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:11 pm

We're not going to win a championship this year. I'm hoping for a playoff run and at least a 2nd round appearance. And next year we'll get Battie back and hope Fran can come over. And watch Gortat, Auggie, Cook develop.

Right now we need a pg. Whether it's a starting pg or back-up pg. We need an upgrade over Arroyo and Dooling.
Stop playing Fultz
Play AB and Goga
MoGrAdY
RealGM
And1: 118

Post#9 » by MoGrAdY » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:15 pm

Too bad we cant ever find guys like Jmax an Millsap in the draft..
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#10 » by EasternMagic » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:23 pm

mhectorgato wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

no we need ariza right now so we can put together a worthy trade. ariza was our bait and it was garbage to trade him by himself for mo and cook. i love mo but if we would have kept ariza till now and put him in with the rest of our expirings we couldve gotten a good power forward
Versubio
Veteran
And1: 209

Post#11 » by Versubio » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:39 pm

DiplomaticMagic wrote:We're not going to win a championship this year. I'm hoping for a playoff run and at least a 2nd round appearance. And next year we'll get Battie back and hope Fran can come over. And watch Gortat, Auggie, Cook develop.

Right now we need a pg. Whether it's a starting pg or back-up pg. We need an upgrade over Arroyo and Dooling.

According to the Spanish newspapers, It looks like Franny will finally join the Magic next season.
mhectorgato
RealGM

Post#12 » by mhectorgato » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:39 pm

EasternMagic wrote:no we need ariza right now so we can put together a worthy trade. ariza was our bait and it was garbage to trade him by himself for mo and cook. i love mo but if we would have kept ariza till now and put him in with the rest of our expirings we couldve gotten a good power forward

How much would he have been playing?

Would his not playing impacted his trade value?

The longer we hold on to him, the more he turns into an expiring contract, there by lessening hid value.

BTW - I consider the trade of a bench sitting expiring <<<< expiring rotation/starting player.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
mhectorgato
RealGM

Post#13 » by mhectorgato » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:40 pm

Versubio wrote:According to the Spanish newspapers, It looks like Franny will finally join the Magic next season.

muy bien!!
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#14 » by EasternMagic » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:57 pm

[quote="mhectorgato"][/quote]
well we will never know if his playing time was going to go up or not but his time was increasing before he was traded and even with low playing time trevors athletic abilities were no secret teams had seen him play last year and theres no point in even arguing that we couldve gotten a much better trade if we had kept him and shown him off a little.
OMPunk
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#15 » by OMPunk » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:20 pm

Fran FINALLY coming over next season could be helpful, however we desperately need a big tough PF. We need a Chris Wilcox or Udonis Haslem type guy soon. Even someone like Etan Thomas would be extremely helpful.

I don't understand why Otis doesn't see this? If he does, then hopefully he is using these valuable expiring contracts we have to try and get one.
Random Laker Fan wrote:Glad to have Dwight on my team but dude is a fraud and a clown at the same time. He's like one of those guys that makes up stories to get a reaction from people who he thinks cares.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#16 » by revprodeji » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:01 am

MoGrAdY wrote:Too bad we cant ever find guys like Jmax an Millsap in the draft..

Craig smith could be brought in with a decent trade. I know the Orl/MIN trade talks have been discussed all year.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#17 » by craig01 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:01 am

D12J14 wrote:
I don't understand why Otis doesn't see this? If he does, then hopefully he is using these valuable expiring contracts we have to try and get one.

I'm sure he does.

The expiring contracts are valuable only in "our" minds. To most, they represent garbage.

You can't get talent unless are willing to give up something of value as well.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
magictreat
Pro Prospect

Re: We Need a PF now before we suffer another wasted season 

Post#18 » by magictreat » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:14 am

knappy wrote:Last year the Magic kept BHill when they should have fired him around this time.

Now we have a good coach that is not the problem, but we don't have a good PF. Get us a good PF now so that we don't throw away the season.

With SVG we might pull it together and do decent, but to go far in the playoffs we need a solid PF. I guess they may wait until next year, but I'd like to see a move now - we have pieces we can move - JJ, Arroyo, Dooling, Garrity (with cash) - they'll take his cap relief if we'll pay them to take him, and we could even move Evans (I don't think anyone would take him - he is better than Garrity though).

If we move Arroyo we do need another PG to backup Nelson. Anyway, I'd like to see something happen - a PF that is tough and strong and can play defense and can score. He doesn't have to to be a star - just better than Tony Battie and that would probably work.
Panick time lol
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#19 » by Bensational » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:18 am

mhectorgato wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

no, so he can get no playing time again. he can keep JJ company.
zuppafly
Assistant Coach
And1: 990

Post#20 » by zuppafly » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:30 am

revprodeji wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Craig smith could be brought in with a decent trade. I know the Orl/MIN trade talks have been discussed all year.

Really? Now that would be someone I'd love to get on the Magic for a couple of expirings.

Return to Orlando Magic