ImageImageImageImage

Chad Ford: Magic have chance at Curry

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#21 » by craig01 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:57 pm

The Knicks would dump Curry before Randolph.

I don't think any scenario involving Curry to here is realistic.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,402

Post#22 » by Bensational » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:22 am

yuck. first off, Chad Ford is (Please Use More Appropriate Word). how does he propose that Dwight and Curry both play in the post? neither of them have a strong enough mid-range jumper to step out yet.

secondly, i don't see the Knicks just clearing cap space with one of what they'd think to be their biggest assets.
Orium
Assistant Coach
And1: 349

Post#23 » by Orium » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:36 am

For a guy to go that out of shape for his whole career, there's something wrong there mentally. He's just the lazy-ass type of person and doesn't have the work ethic to succeed. And he never will, that's just how those people are. Anyone who is ever going to expect anything from Curry at this point is just setting themselves up for disappointment. Big pass for me.
The curse of Fran Vasquez lives on
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#24 » by magicfan4life05 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:43 am

craig01 wrote:The Knicks would dump Curry before Randolph.

I don't think any scenario involving Curry to here is realistic.

exactly they are trying to get rid of randolph asap....
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Post#25 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:59 am

I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring Curry in. Just because we get him does not mean we have to start him. He would be a great guy to have in there with our second rotation. When Dwight leaves the game we have no inside threat, Eddie would be able to do that and be our 6th man.
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#26 » by theTHIEF » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:05 am

well, that shows how much pull I have with big media...
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#27 » by magicman123 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:31 am

not thrilled about curry, the lines are already long enough at mc'donalds
1eyedjake
General Manager
And1: 24

Post#28 » by 1eyedjake » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:45 am

Curry would not be the best fit here... if he came for the cost of a couple of expirings I'd consider it though. I've got to admit, I liked his potential as a HS-er, he's shown very little work ethic to live up to it though.

I'd like to think Dwight could push him into the gym and make him work but it's no certainty.

The real problem would be the same one the Knicks have with him - he can't do anything besides operate in the low post.
Effectively, he'd take up Dwight's space. IF he could learn to work the weakside post off of Dwight's double teams and IF we had a decent point guard it would have more chance of working. However, neither Dwight or Curry are playmakers, so there's another problem with it working with the current team.
1eyedjake
General Manager
And1: 24

Post#29 » by 1eyedjake » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:48 am

magicman123 wrote:not thrilled about curry, the lines are already long enough at mc'donalds

hahaha.

Nice.
Driguez
General Manager
And1: 2,022

Post#30 » by Driguez » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:05 am

the question is, do u take curry or webber? give me webber...
"We all we got"- SVG
DaveMustaine
Junior
And1: 10

Post#31 » by DaveMustaine » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:30 am

For the package that was written about, Orlando would be fools not to take that trade.
DaveMustaine
Junior
And1: 10

Post#32 » by DaveMustaine » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:36 am

However, I would throw in a first with the previously mentioned package, and see if you could swing Randoph instead. Then Orlando could make a trade to get Andre Miller. Imagine a linup of:

C:Howard
PF: Randolph
SF: Lewis
SG: Hedo
PG: Miller

Orlando would run away with the East.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,402

Post#33 » by Bensational » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:41 am

1eyedjake wrote:Curry would not be the best fit here... if he came for the cost of a couple of expirings I'd consider it though. I've got to admit, I liked his potential as a HS-er, he's shown very little work ethic to live up to it though.

I'd like to think Dwight could push him into the gym and make him work but it's no certainty.

The real problem would be the same one the Knicks have with him - he can't do anything besides operate in the low post.
Effectively, he'd take up Dwight's space. IF he could learn to work the weakside post off of Dwight's double teams and IF we had a decent point guard it would have more chance of working. However, neither Dwight or Curry are playmakers, so there's another problem with it working with the current team.

i guess he never really has been surrounded by hard working, winning personalities before.

maybe a change of scenery could do him welll. i just don't think we're the change he needs. there's no room for him in our system.
jonskilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 85

Post#34 » by jonskilly » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:46 am

DiplomaticMagic wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

knicks wont

knicks is known for doing the unthinkable
Shaheen
Suspended

jonskilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 85

Post#35 » by jonskilly » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:48 am

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring Curry in. Just because we get him does not mean we have to start him. He would be a great guy to have in there with our second rotation. When Dwight leaves the game we have no inside threat, Eddie would be able to do that and be our 6th man.

Curry is no threat in the middle. 5rb and 0.5bpg? i'll take foyle.
Shaheen
Suspended

gooGD
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#36 » by gooGD » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:05 am

Knick fan here...

Curry for 2 expiring contracts and a SG??

WHERE CAN I SIGN UP and WHICH AIRPORT SHOULD I DRIVE HIM TO????
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#37 » by drsd » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:08 am

Whether you like Curry, or not, the proposed trade by Ford is a fantastic asset upgrade for the Magic.

Bogans/Garrity/Redick for Curry???

There is no way in heck GM Smith could avoid pulling that trigger.

Basically there is proposed trade of an overachiever/a-has-been/might-never-be for a legitimate NBA big man.

Even if all the Magic did was trade Curry in the off season for another piece, this trade would still be made.

But what if two Centers could be worked out (a new twin-towers!). Curry has a respectable 15 pg in 28 mpg. He shoots at around 55%. His rebounding is a bit soft (Hedo has more boards per this year!). But 5 is 28 is not horrible.

At $8M per season, he is a steal as a NBA starter.

For those who are concerned that the Knicks are bad when Curry plays (which is probably true), the Knicks are worst when he does not. (He has a -2 production, and the Knicks are -10 when he sits) (side point: wow the Knicks stink).

Eddie Curry for Bogans/Garrity/Redick?!?!?!?!?
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#38 » by MagicMadness » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:00 pm

On paper, it seems like a very good deal - I'll agree.

But like most here, I'm very hesistant to add Curry to the line-up. He's basically been a disapointment from the get go. He's lazy, seemingly unmotivated, and one of those guys who makes dumb mistakes on the court. I remember just recently, he didn't start a game, and afterwards, he actually complained to the media when asked. His team is a horrible embarrasment, and he actually complains about not starting that night. :nonono:

Curry is a joke.

Edit - I just read this over at the Knicks board:

The latest insult to Curry comes from his peers. Sports Illustrated asked 242 N.B.A. players to name the player who
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 435

Post#39 » by OrlandoMagic » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:27 pm

id rather have zach for garrity bogans and jj
than trade nelson and dooling for miller
than sign c-webb

Miller/Carlos
Evans/Hedo
Lewis/Zach
Webber/Auggie
Howard/Foyle

Starting 5 would be great, 2nd unit would be big and the load would come from Zach and Hedo.
magicfanejc42
Analyst
And1: 23

Post#40 » by magicfanejc42 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:28 pm

See the thing is, New York, would probably do something more of this, and I'll explain why.

Bogans
Dooling
2nd

for

Curry

Why- well, with the fact tht NYK seems to be in a corner, and desperate to restart and or get some help, the Magic are at an advantage. Curry and Isaiah don't get along, so either way one or both are gone. Expiring salaries could all do the trick, due to the fact of them being WAY over cap.
They have an injury to their starting PG and their starting SG is about to take his place. The Knicks have a full roster and have no space for a player such as JJ. Plus, he doesn't fit their system. But Bogans comes in and is their instant starter, and Dooling would be a player that Isaiah and the whole organization would love. Due to his heart, and hustle.

I also just think that, Curry is at such a low price right now it's unbelivable and that we can get him even cheaper than previously stated.

I do think though, that this team is going to HATE having him. Whther we get him for cheap or not. He is a one dimensional player and is slowloy eating himself out of the league. I wouldn't mind doing the trade due to it being like a test drive, and we wouldn't lose too much. But he is a JJ type big man, only one thing he does well, score.

Return to Orlando Magic