ImageImageImageImage

OT - Cloverfield Movie No Spoilers

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MagicNolesFSU
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#21 » by MagicNolesFSU » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:02 am

Yeah he produced. Hes still a marketing genius though.

So wait they don't tell you anything about the monster? do you at least get to see the thing?

And if its Godzilla ima be pissed and prolly just spark up a blunt right there in the theater.
Illuminati wrote:MagicNoles is a g. Don't bring beef and there ain't no beef.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#22 » by Max Power » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:54 pm

As the official film student among the Magic board, I'll just leave it at this......Cloverfield sucked!!!! Plot was mindnumbing, camera work was utter garbage and the monster.....well lets just say it would have been better had MArsalis Wallace been the monster. A movie marketed to people who get excited over shiny things. JJ Abrams just needs to stick to TV, because Lost is pretty good still.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
darthcheech2000
Sixth Man
And1: 399

Post#23 » by darthcheech2000 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:55 am

All the hate.

Just got back from seeing it. I had low expectations and was blown away by the movie. I loved it.

But I am just an average Joe with no film credentials so, what the hell do I know.
MoGrAdY
RealGM
And1: 118

Post#24 » by MoGrAdY » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:33 am

I didnt see it. Wont see it. Sounds gay.
1eyedjake
General Manager
And1: 24

Post#25 » by 1eyedjake » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:38 am

Max Power wrote:As the official film student among the Magic board, I'll just leave it at this......Cloverfield sucked!!!! Plot was mindnumbing, camera work was utter garbage and the monster.....well lets just say it would have been better had MArsalis Wallace been the monster. A movie marketed to people who get excited over shiny things. JJ Abrams just needs to stick to TV, because Lost is pretty good still.

As the other official film student I agree %100.... except for the part about Lost.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,272

Post#26 » by Bensational » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:38 am

darthcheech2000 wrote:All the hate.

Just got back from seeing it. I had low expectations and was blown away by the movie. I loved it.

But I am just an average Joe with no film credentials so, what the hell do I know.

i don't know if this is sarcasm or not..... but either way, it's opinions like yours that make or break the film. there's only so many people with film credentials in the world that can have their say. if every average joe loves a movie and every film maker hates it, then it just goes to show that the filmmakers were off base.

for me it's just not a memorable film. for all the hype it carried it's not the kind of movie to ever go down as one of the greatest of it's kind (monster movies). and that's not saying much.

apart from that, it'll entertain an audience.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Bensational » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:42 am

1eyedjake wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

As the other official film student I agree %100.... except for the part about Lost.

where are you studying these days Jake?? done any writing/ made any shorts lately?
Max Power
Head Coach

Post#28 » by Max Power » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:28 pm

1eyedjake wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Ah, ok Jake, I will give it to you there, Lost has brilliance one moment and then the next it's all F'ed up. Your a film student? Cool. What school if you don't mind me asking?
darthcheech2000
Sixth Man
And1: 399

Post#29 » by darthcheech2000 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:27 pm

Bensational wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

i don't know if this is sarcasm or not..... but either way, it's opinions like yours that make or break the film. there's only so many people with film credentials in the world that can have their say. if every average joe loves a movie and every film maker hates it, then it just goes to show that the filmmakers were off base.

for me it's just not a memorable film. for all the hype it carried it's not the kind of movie to ever go down as one of the greatest of it's kind (monster movies). and that's not saying much.

apart from that, it'll entertain an audience.

Don't know how to use green font.

But I also wanted to know if anyone else saw the startrek trailor. Directed by JJ Abrams. Looked very interesting
MJallday59
Veteran
And1: 116

Post#30 » by MJallday59 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:04 pm

Hahaha....

To say stuff like "I'm a film student so I know what a good movie is". It's a bunch of crap. More than likely you're talking about frames, camera work, plot development etc. The average viewer is not familiar with it so chill out! Also, anyone who actually studied film would know that making a movie in first person view is somewhat Taboo. That's what makes it so interesting..... So please stop flaunting your degree from "Full Sail" . . .
otownflava21
Sixth Man
And1: 100

Post#31 » by otownflava21 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:39 pm

look, i'm no film major or something, but i absolutely LOVED the movie. i went with a group of 5 people, every single one of them said it was spectacular, and totally worth it.

the reason i feel people would knock on it, is the fact that the whole movie was viewed through first person(the guy recording the incidents), and that you dont really figure out the details of the monster. but it gave it such a real feeling. it actually made a plot where a monster attacks a city VERY plausible.

it was very intense, very emotional, and a lot of action. it was well worth it in my opinion. i definetely recommend it.
mattyBoi
Lead Assistant
And1: 860

Post#32 » by mattyBoi » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:14 pm

Max Power wrote:As the official film student among the Magic board, I'll just leave it at this......Cloverfield sucked!!!! Plot was mindnumbing, camera work was utter garbage and the monster.....well lets just say it would have been better had MArsalis Wallace been the monster. A movie marketed to people who get excited over shiny things. JJ Abrams just needs to stick to TV, because Lost is pretty good still.

Harsh words, do u think you could have done it better?

If so, why havent you made a movie, or why not make the sequel?

You should a little respect for someone whos made it in the business and obviously has talent.

If you were to meet this guy youd probably be sucking his D&$#...No offense i dont mean it literally, but you know what i mean.

Anyways, this movie was made for the public to enjoy and it fully accomphishes that.

I agree with Bensational, he does leave alot of things out in the open and i think a sequel or prequel is in the works.

I found this earlier today, pretty interesting prequel videos.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/01/06/vid ... by-slusho/
otownflava21
Sixth Man
And1: 100

Post#33 » by otownflava21 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:54 pm

whoa those prequel videos look pretty awesome.
MJallday59
Veteran
And1: 116

Post#34 » by MJallday59 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:07 pm

mattyBoi wrote:

You should a little respect for someone whos made it in the business and obviously has talent.

If you were to meet this guy youd probably be sucking his D&$#...No offense i dont mean it literally, but you know what i mean.

Anyways, this movie was made for the public to enjoy and it fully accomphishes that.

I agree with Bensational, he does leave alot of things out in the open and i think a sequel or prequel is in the works.

I found this earlier today, pretty interesting prequel videos.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/01/06/vid ... by-slusho/

Co-sign!
Max Power
Head Coach

Post#35 » by Max Power » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:31 pm

mattyBoi wrote:

No Matty, those were harsh words. I'm not saying I only have the right to criticize it because I study film, anyone can. My opinion is that it could have been better. I didn't like things about it, and those things come from a movie goers perspective, not a student. That skaky-cam thing was nauseating. Why people think it's innovative I don't know. I didn't like it in the Bourne Series, and that was in small doses, Cloverfield has a lot more of it.

As for Abrams himself, I wouldn't do as you say with him, as I don't conduct myself like some drooling fanboy. I respect some of his previous work. In it's first couple of years Lost was brilliant. I just think Cloverfield was way overhyped, the final product was a dud. There Will Be Blood, which I saw the same day, was much better than Cloverfield.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,829

Post#36 » by Last Guardian » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:38 pm

I saw this movie.......in 1988.
Magicman76
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#37 » by Magicman76 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:19 am

Bensational wrote:Cloverfield.... meh. that's about all it is. meh.

i saw it yesterday and was actually expecting it to be the worst movie ever (because NOTHING can live up to hype like that). because my expectations were so low i could only really be surprised. i came out of it with the same feeling i had when i came out of Independence Day.

these things bugged me:

*camcorder is way overdone and disorientating. i couldn't handle it in Blair Witch and i only just managed to handle it in this.

*absolutely no information on the monster. no discussion of what it is, where it's come from or anything like that (helllllooooooo sequals.....)

these things i liked:

*the camcorder effect was actually brilliant in the parts where they run through streets and through conflict. it's like being in a really engaging first person game.

*it didn't go overboard with showing the monster, which kept you in suspense and actually made me crane my neck a few times hoping i'd get a better look (yeah, like one of those (Please Use More Appropriate Word) kids who moves the controller when he plays video games).

all in all..... meh. you won't be too disappointed if you watch it. you won't be blown away either.

Did you pay attention to the end?
Go Magic!
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Bensational » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:55 am

Magicman76 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Did you pay attention to the end?

i thought so. what did i miss???
JigenDaisuke
Starter
And1: 74

Post#39 » by JigenDaisuke » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:25 am

I think this was a great idea for a movie, and was executed very well. I like that it didn't try and explain the monster. It was being shot from people that had no idea what was going on and no way of finding out. It was like being stuck in the middle of New York on 911 and thinking that the world was about to end. If something like that happened, you really wouldn't be worried about why it was happening you would just try to survive and worry about it later.

Some people that see movies and film as art forget that they are designed to make money. It doesn't matter how many awards or accolades a film gets, if it doesn't turn a profit it's a failure. And if director or actor's films do poorly it means they aren't working any more. You have to design a movie with the audience in mind, are they going to enjoy it or is it going to get an Oscar for cinematography but lose 50 million dollars in the process.
mattyBoi
Lead Assistant
And1: 860

Post#40 » by mattyBoi » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:34 pm

Sorry if i spoil but does anyone think that the two at the end will end up still being alive, leading to a sequel?

Return to Orlando Magic