ImageImageImage

Poll: Would you do Larry Hughes for Zach Randolph?

Moderator: ijspeelman

Would you do Larry Hughes for Zach Randolph in a straight up swap?

Yes! OMG do it RIGHT NOW! I need to get Danny Ferry on the phone right now!
36%
I would do that and Jones/Hughes for Randolph.
9%
Hell no.
33%
I would want to do Jones/Hughes for Randolph/Fred Jones instead but would do the other one too.
21%

Total votes: 33

marik1234xx
Senior
And1: 0

Poll: Would you do Larry Hughes for Zach Randolph? 

Post#1 » by marik1234xx » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:15 am

Add Damon Jones if you want.
Knicks!
LeQuitterNotMVP
Analyst

Post#2 » by LeQuitterNotMVP » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:20 am

I voted for #4, I could see this move happening if we trade Gooden for a PG.
L&H_05
RealGM
And1: 94

Post#3 » by L&H_05 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:26 am

NO KNICKS !!!!!!
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#4 » by TheOUTLAW » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:35 am

LOL, are we back to the whole "No Knicks" thing? I think that Randolph would be an interesting addition. Not necessarily a good one, but it definitely would be an interesting one. He'd give the Cavs more of a post presence since neither Z or Gooden really have the strength or post moves that Randolph has. That being said it would be interesting to see how this changes the teams dynamic. It isn't normally good to bring in a non passing poor defensive player.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#5 » by B Mac » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:56 am

Where is that old No Knicks thread? We need to bump that bad boy back up. Hell no we dont want Randolph, even to get the benefit of getting rid of Hughes I wouldnt do it.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#6 » by Icness » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:41 pm

I wouldn't throw Randolph in with the whole "No Knicks" thing though--he is a reluctant Knick, never wanted to be there.

Having said that, I'm not sure he really fits with the team. His game is similar to Z--not a lot of running, not much defensive rotation, needs help to scoer but can be very effective at it. I just think that if you pair Zach and Z you're going to have a very plodding, slow-down team that athletic frontcourts will abuse. Good player, not a good fit IMO.
Bamboozled
Sophomore

Post#7 » by Bamboozled » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:31 pm

I view Zach Randolph as an upgrade to Drew Gooden. Bot are scoring power forwards with a decent midrange jumpshot, and both can crash the boards. That said, they're both blow-by defenders who can't block a shot. But Randolph's stats are better, and as long as the Cavs can trade Gooden for at least a scrapy guard who can play defense (and maybe contribute something else too), they'll definitely come out ahead in the deal.
Go Cavs!
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#8 » by mg » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:31 pm

The basic premise of trading Hughes for ZBo and then dealing Gooden for a PG or defensive minded/shooting guard sounds good.

However, Randolph's contract runs thru 2011.. As others mentioned he's a post presence but needs touches..alot of them...and is a poor defender. I just can't see the Cavs tying themselves to Randolph's contract. He's not that big of an improvement over Gooden .... Actually, because of his plodding style he could be a worse fit than Drew.

Now Jamal Crawford is another matter but I don't see the Knicks trading him.
Bamboozled
Sophomore

Post#9 » by Bamboozled » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:21 pm

Randolph's plodding style seems to emulate Z's style too. But Randolph is a better scorer, and if you pair him with Varejao, that's an excellent pairing for the next 5 years. Granted, Drew is better at defending the screen and roll, but he's never on the court finishing games, in part because he can't guard post players (like Randolph), part because he doesn't have any serious go-to moves, and in part because we've all seen Drew make some absolutely boneheaded plays. It also doesn't seem like Lebron has any trust in him.
Go Cavs!
eyejayem
Pro Prospect

Post#10 » by eyejayem » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:28 pm

I think I would do this if we had a Drew for Bibby thing in the works and possibly Webber or PJ Brown on the phone to come off the bench.
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by B Mac » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:44 pm

Guys, have you watched Randolph play? Dude is a worse black hole now then he was on the Blazers... Yes, he's talented, but come on fellas, he is not the kind of guy that we need.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#12 » by TheOUTLAW » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:28 pm

The issue that has been around with Gooden is that he's more of an offensive player and therefore not a particularly good fit with Z, that just gets amplified with Randolph. And as quiet as it is kept, Randolph is a worse defender as well.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
Bamboozled
Sophomore

Post#13 » by Bamboozled » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:53 pm

That's definitely true about Randolph being a bad fit with Z, but try and compare him more with Varejao, because while Z is having a great year, I don't think he's keeping up this level of play for the next 3 years. I really could see him replacing Z's output long-term, and I'm not sure if the Cavs have a ton of chances to pick up a guy as talented as Randolph in exchange for someone as unproductive as Hughes.....
Go Cavs!
jeremy1215
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#14 » by jeremy1215 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:30 am

Why would Zach Randolph want me to "do" Larry Hughes?!?!?!?
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by B Mac » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:52 am

I'll give you your credit. Funny stuff.
bigtyme
Sophomore

Post#16 » by bigtyme » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:59 am

Zbo is a jumpshooter. He jacks up shots all over the floor. He rarely goes to the low post, but is highly effective when he does. Defensively, and I am not a Drew Gooden fan, at least Gooden gives effort. Zbo just plays like he figues he'll get it back on the other end.

Z, Zbo, bron, jone, bibby? Wheres the defense? Thats to many z's anyway...
Bamboozled
Sophomore

Post#17 » by Bamboozled » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:51 pm

I think that a guy like Randolph would definitely duplicate a lot of what Z provides. But he's only 26, and has a fairly refined offensive game. And while he doesn't defend well now, so much of defense comes down to effort, and he's never played on a decent team before. I think that the combination of a defense oriented coach and a clear-cut alpha dog in the locker room would make him a much better and motivated player.

Also, keep in mind now that he's one borderline crazy guy on a team with several borderline crazy guys. If he were in Cleveland, he wouldn't have any other crazies to tip things overboard.

Think about the Bulls in the 90s. Rodman was a cancer on the Spurs (why else would they accept only Will Perdue from Chicago in exchange for him?), but he was great on the Bulls. Be it Randolph, Ron Artest or someone else, I think the Cavs are one of the few teams in the league that could afford to take on a talented, yet unstable player.
Go Cavs!
kiwibrindle
Starter
And1: 80

Post#18 » by kiwibrindle » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:22 pm

I would do this move for the fact that Randolph is an additional scoring option against teams in the playoffs and over time this may help keep LBJ fresher longer. Having said that, the real problem with this suggestion is that Mr. potatoehead can't draw up plays for anyone. Therefore, if Randolph came here he would have to create his own I fear and that may upset Bron. God I wish we had a real coach.
Bamboozled
Sophomore

Post#19 » by Bamboozled » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:39 pm

you're right about the playcalling. Getting 2 post scorers enough looks requires a pretty solid gameplan and a good distributor. and Brownie doesn't have either one right now......
Go Cavs!
Clincher
General Manager
And1: 694

Post#20 » by Clincher » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:06 pm

As a Knicks fan, I wouldent dare do this move.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers