ImageImageImageImage

Gortat will not play this year

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Gortat will not play this year 

Post#1 » by drsd » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:41 pm

It might seem a little early for a wait-until-next-year theme, but reserve C Marcin Gortat, the rookie from Poland, already has set his sights on the 2008-09 season. Gortat is the only healthy player on the 15-man Magic roster who hasn't played in a game this season. And it doesn't look like he will. Van Gundy just doesn't think he's ready for NBA prime time, and he has told him.

"It's kind of weird hearing that you're not going to play but I've accepted it, and I'm already thinking about next season," Gortat said. "I'm going to keep working as hard as possible and improve enough to play. I practice against the best big man in the league [Howard] every day. I'm going to get better."

"I will come back next year more ready to play," Gortat said.

O-Sen: Gortat not ready for prime time

THis make a lot of sense. Marcin is not an NBA Center. He was brought over to practice for a year. Next year, he could develop into an OK player, if the Magic even have a roster spot open.
Jiwol
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,293

Post#2 » by Jiwol » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:00 pm

Sad panda :cry:
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#3 » by mhectorgato » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:02 pm

Gotta love his attitude though.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,528

Post#4 » by Furinkazan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:35 pm

Once again he rejected an invitation from Polish national team.
This shows his devotion to the Magic.
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#5 » by theTHIEF » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:37 pm

Marcin might be a surprise when he gets minutes, he was very productibe in the summer league and he seemed to have a decent 10-12 foot shot, some power and some hustle...then again, Mario Kasun?
mhectorgato
RealGM

Post#6 » by mhectorgato » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:38 pm

~Snoopy~ wrote:Once again he rejected an invitation from Polish national team.
This shows his devotion to the Magic.

If only a certain Spaniard showed the same desire ...
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
Furinkazan
General Manager

Post#7 » by Furinkazan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:43 pm

Also Im not sure about 2008/09 season.
With Battie back and who knows..Fran?:D
But you never know...
if somebody will get hurt he will fill Auggie's place from this season.
Then when his 2 yr contract is over he will either go back to Poland(as Cezary Trybański)or if he has a good manager he will try somewhere else in the NBA.
Furinkazan
General Manager

Post#8 » by Furinkazan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:47 pm

dunno why I see his nba career in black shades....but..ehm well ..lets hope im wrong...
on the positive side his desire is NBA itself not the money(as for now)
which is opposite to Trybański and Lampe
Gerhalt11
Assistant Coach
And1: 827

Post#9 » by Gerhalt11 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:48 pm

The Polish Hammer goes back in the toolbox. Sad day...
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Post#10 » by Optimus_Steel » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:53 pm

He has a great attitude and sounds committed to the team. Maybe if the Magic wrap up a playoff spot early, why not give him some time in the last game or 2 of the regular season.
aka: prorl
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Post#11 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:16 pm

I am just happy that he is still positive. That is a great sign in itself.

Best case scenario...and how nice it would be:

Battie comes back next season ready and healthy. Fran comes over and is not a complete bust. Gortat is ready to contribute.

We would go from a glaring hole at PF to being set early on...and would even give us the ability to make a move for a better starting PF.

Then use the MLE on a defensive minded shooting guard...bind band boom we have a much, much better team.

(Then we just wait for J-Kidd to sign for the MLE the following year)
paperboymafia
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#12 » by paperboymafia » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:36 pm

would be funny if he does improve and then fran decides to make an appearance and then sees that gortat owns him.
drsd
RealGM

Post#13 » by drsd » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:54 pm

Watching Gorat play up close, one thing is clear. Marcin loves basketball!

If he can develop a PF's game, he might stick in the league. He is active and is welling to be the hustle guy.
Toyman7777
Junior
And1: 1

Post#14 » by Toyman7777 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:20 pm

Well, not to sound rude, but my thought is, can he really be that much more unskilled than adonal foyle or auggie? I mean really, what would it hurt to give him a few minutes here or there.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
mhectorgato
RealGM

Post#15 » by mhectorgato » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:23 pm

Toyman7777 wrote:Well, not to sound rude, but my thought is, can he really be that much more unskilled than adonal foyle or auggie? I mean really, what would it hurt to give him a few minutes here or there.

Sure. The guys getting PT in the NBA (and other major bball leagues) are the top class. It's the pick of the litter talent wise as it were.

As bad as we think a player may be (ex: PJG) they would light us, and the vast majority of players, up on a court.

Plus there's also an adjustment period from international ball to NBA style.
Furinkazan
General Manager

Post#16 » by Furinkazan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:59 pm

haha funny thing
Gortat wont play for national team but he is encouraging Dan Dickau to play for Polish national team :P
I guess he wants to make some good deeds^^despite he wont play for Pl team he still want to help in some way :)
drsd
RealGM

Post#17 » by drsd » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:29 pm

Toyman7777 wrote:Well, not to sound rude, but my thought is, can he really be that much more unskilled than adonal foyle or auggie? I mean really, what would it hurt to give him a few minutes here or there.

Foyle: strong yes. Marcin is league below Adonal. Foyle is a big body who plays well disciplined team defense. Marcin is a thin-chested, overly ambitious project that could not come cles to guarding any Center in the NBA.

Augustine: a thinner yes. James like Marcin are on the fringes of the NBA. But James has some miles in already, and understands the process of the NBA.

But, as for some minutes, Marcin can only improve if in blowout wins/loses he gets some looks and touches. Right now he understands how to work in and around the Magic bigs. But he has not encountered the diversity of players. That experience only comes on court.

So your central thesis as to court time is well supported.
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 343

Post#18 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:02 pm

Gotta give him props on the attitude though! It would have been nice to see Gooden have that attitude when asked about Dwight being Drafted. They + Varejao would have made a nice rotation...
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#19 » by craig01 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:56 pm

Not very surprising.

He's got a good attitude about it though.

Inevitably, it may not matter much.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
magicmamma
Assistant Coach
And1: 30

Post#20 » by magicmamma » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:25 pm

Otis said they were disappointed with Marcin's performance in D-League. He didn't rebound and couldn't stay out of foul trouble. In contrast, when Auggie went to D-League last year he dominated -- D12 type domination. He still couldn't get on the floor last year, but he learned enough to get some time as a reserve this year. With his attitude, Marcin should develop this season. He seems to be a really nice guy and I hope he makes it.

No comparison to Foyle, who brings a lot of skill, energy, toughness, and experience to the floor.

Return to Orlando Magic