Pavlovic Injured ***Wiretap***

Moderator: ijspeelman

TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Pavlovic Injured ***Wiretap*** 

Post#1 » by TheOUTLAW » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:37 pm

What seemed like a minor injury ends up putting Sasha out for 8 weeks. He was just starting to get his shot back and now he's sitting out a long period of time.

This kinda sucks as the team was just starting to get on a roll.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
localballah
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#2 » by localballah » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:40 pm

That does suck and it just wasn't his year with the all that has gone on with him.

Makes me wonder who will replace him in the starting lineup? Devin Brown? or Bobbie?
calibanPK
Pro Prospect
And1: 19

Post#3 » by calibanPK » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:41 pm

I say Brown should start next to Hughes and keep that tall starting lineup. Boobie off the bench.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#4 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:42 pm

Outlaw, I saw your response in the other thread, but I wanted to post it hear to see what others had to say. I didnt want to start a thread on your guys board.

from game thread
now Pavlovic is out 6-8 weeks...that really sucks for you guys since the team was rolling. What effect do you guys think this will have on your team? Is he that big of a piece?
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by TheOUTLAW » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:43 pm

I think that Gibson moves into the starting lineup which makes Jones the first guard off the bench and/or more time for Brown as well. To be honest I hope that Shannon starts getting a little more run. It's a daggone shame that he's been ignored as much as he has but clearly the Cavs don't play young players much until they've already proven themselves to be an asset.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by TheOUTLAW » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Donkey McDonkerton wrote:Outlaw, I saw your response in the other thread, but I wanted to post it hear to see what others had to say. I didnt want to start a thread on your guys board.

from game thread
now Pavlovic is out 6-8 weeks...that really sucks for you guys since the team was rolling. What effect do you guys think this will have on your team? Is he that big of a piece?

I have no problem if you start a thread on our board as long as it's not a game thread.

Sasha was a big piece last year but his terrible shooting so far this season has made it so that he's not an offensive threat at all. He had just gotten to the point where he was taking the ball to the rim and even sticking some jump shots and he gets injured. Not only that but his defense on 2's along with Hughes on 1's gives the Cavs versatility on defense.

Last year the Cavs started about every game for a month with tossing the ball into Z and the kickout to Sasha for the straight away open 3. He can make that shot pretty easily but he's been awful shooting the ball this year up until the last few games.
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,694

Post#7 » by Benedict_Boozer » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:59 pm

Sasha is replaceable, but losing him hurts our team chemistry and defense.

Everytime the team starts playing well it seems someone goes down with an injury. First Lebron, now Sasha.

This could be Shannon Brown's chance. As long as he can go out there and not hurt the team defensively, things will be OK. I wouldn't mess with the bench unit, they are in a good flow right now.
kiwibrindle
Starter
And1: 80

Post#8 » by kiwibrindle » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:24 am

Not only does this hurt Sasha for 8 weeks but when he comes back if on schedule he only has around 13 games to get back in game shape for the playoffs.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by TheOUTLAW » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:29 am

Heck it's taken him 40 games to get into shape so far this year. That might be a rap for him.
kiwibrindle
Starter
And1: 80

Post#10 » by kiwibrindle » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:43 am

Exactly
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#11 » by B Mac » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:42 am

This sucks for a large number of reasons, most of which have been listed already. Whats horrible is that he wont be able to keep his stamina up because he wont be able to run on his ankle... Meaning that once he eventually is cleared it will take him some time to get used to the pace of the NBA again. I actually did the same thing to my ankle in high school in a soccer game.. I kept playing on it for about 10 minutes before the pain was finally too much.. Later that night after my mom finally convinced me to go to the ER and my ankle was the size of a softball, I found out I was going to have to be off of it for about 6 weeks. Very tough injury because the thought of rolling it again is ALWAYS in the back of your mind. Heck mine still hurts occasionally and I hurt it over 5 years ago and have gone through a bunch of rehab for it.

I think we will miss him a lot more than we realize because his defense is absolutely crucial for this team. The last two games are perfect examples: against Miami Pavs was guarding all game and Wade didnt do anything, then Pavs sat in the 4th and Wade went crazy on us. Against the Wizar's Prune Juice couldnt do a thing against Pavs and really seemed to be bothered by his length and physicality. Also I think his outside scoring threat (even though he hasnt hit much this year) scares teams more than we realize. His struggles this year are well documented, but its also well documented that he has been our second best slasher outside of LeBron for the last year or so.

The team was just starting to click and now this.... ugh.

As for who will replace him in the starting lineup. I'd be willing to bet quite a bit it wont be Boobie. I cant see Coach Brown messing with our bench rotation that has really clicked over the last month, at least not taking so much offense away from the bench like that. I know many people are expecting Shannon to step up, but I think next in line is Newble. The guy is a big physical defender and if he gives you anything on the other end its gravy. He doesnt win you any games, but he doesnt lose any for you... The same cant be said for Shannon IMO.

I cant say enough how bummed I am about this injury.
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,694

Post#12 » by Benedict_Boozer » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:13 am

I don't want to see Shannon as a starter for 6-8 weeks...I'm not confident in his ability to defend SG's and Hughes is too weak physically to take on the Caron Butler's of the world.

Ferry needs to make a move and bring someone in with an expiring. There are teams like GS with like 6 wings, somebody will want to clear some cap
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by B Mac » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:30 am

I agree about looking for another player to bring in, but its gotta be somebody that at least pretends to play defense. I know it might be a pipe dream but with the Nocioni rumors coming out of Chi-town I think he would be a nice fit here.
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by B Mac » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:36 am

Well as nice as Noc would be... he also is owed 8.5 million this year. Doesnt look like we'll have the financial pieces to get it done. Would have been a nice couple month rental for us though.
Gordon Bombay
Head Coach
And1: 79

Post#15 » by Gordon Bombay » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:54 am

damn and we had a pretty good rotation going

sasha, larry and drew start...
hopefully they dont screw it up too bad...
gibson, varejao, jones/brown excell off the bench and all is well

get well soon pavs
Bamboozled
Sophomore

Post#16 » by Bamboozled » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:05 pm

It's a shame that we didn't pick up Shannon's option, because this could be a chance for him to get some significant minutes. He's definitely a better athlete than Sasha, but he's not as tall, so he wouldn't match up as well against taller guards. The guy is built like an ox though, so I can't see anyone backing him down. Letting him rot on the bench is probably the dumbest thing management/coaching has done so far. I think there's a decent counterargument to most other moves, but there's no way he's re-signing, and to let a talented guard leave simply because Sasha is there, is pretty dumb to me....
Go Cavs!
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by B Mac » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:00 am

B Mac wrote:
As for who will replace him in the starting lineup. I'd be willing to bet quite a bit it wont be Boobie. I cant see Coach Brown messing with our bench rotation that has really clicked over the last month, at least not taking so much offense away from the bench like that. I know many people are expecting Shannon to step up, but I think next in line is Newble. The guy is a big physical defender and if he gives you anything on the other end its gravy. He doesnt win you any games, but he doesnt lose any for you... The same cant be said for Shannon IMO.

This guy knows what he's talking about. :clap:

Actually after watching the Noobs play tonight, I may have to second guess the Newble in the starting lineup plug.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by TheOUTLAW » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:00 pm

Benedict_Boozer wrote:I don't want to see Shannon as a starter for 6-8 weeks...I'm not confident in his ability to defend SG's and Hughes is too weak physically to take on the Caron Butler's of the world.

Ferry needs to make a move and bring someone in with an expiring. There are teams like GS with like 6 wings, somebody will want to clear some cap

I don't think anyone is expecting Shannon to start. He's way too far the depth chart to be viewed as a starter unless Brown starts looking to make a shakeup.
Bamboozled
Sophomore

Post#19 » by Bamboozled » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:59 pm

It also doesn't make sense to play Shannon unless to raise his trade profile, as he's clearly leaving Cleveland after the season.
Go Cavs!

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers