ImageImageImageImageImage

Name your All Star Reserves

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

gs7101
Pro Prospect
And1: 0
Location: Oakland CA native, living in San Antonio TX; of course, I'm a die-hard Warriors' fan--over 40 years!

Post#21 » by gs7101 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:07 pm

I think Davis will be a sentimental choice (even though he's deserving) to get selected as an all-star reserve. After all, the game is being played in New Orleans--a city where he was a former star player. The Western Conference will have five guards to make room for Davis. Besides, it has been a long time since a Warriors' player was selected to play in the game. I hope the coaches do the right thing and pick Davis next week!
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#22 » by Mylie10 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:22 pm

Based on the Warriors playoffs last year and the excitement the team is providing the league, they should and will have at least one representative going to the game.

Roy has many all stars to come, if he doesn't make it this year, then he'll be there in the future.

Ginobili and Parker are the ones that piss me off.

Paul deserves it and he makes his team and team-mates better. He doesn't need numbers to beat you. He might be the smartest point going.

He's better than Nash because of his defense.

I'd take Paul over any point in the league.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
The_Believer
Pro Prospect

Post#23 » by The_Believer » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:52 pm

Thugleavy34 wrote:
Paul can't guard stronger players like Baron can or drive at will and would get abused by the guys Baron takes on all the time.

and Baron can't guard quicker players like Paul can and would get abused by the guys Paul takes on all the time.

If Baron drove more, he'd be an MVP. But that's his problem.

Who does Paul take on that Baron can't guard? Could Paul hold AI to 5-16 and 12 pts like Baron did? Can Paul guard any top 30 offensive players?
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#24 » by Mylie10 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:57 pm

It's cool you love Baron, but don't let it cloud your perception.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
The_Believer
Pro Prospect

Post#25 » by The_Believer » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:18 pm

Mylie10 wrote:It's cool you love Baron, but don't let it cloud your perception.

I'm not saying Baron is better at everything than Paul is, but Paul usually guards 3rd tier players like Devin Harris or TJ Ford / Rafer Alston, which obviously helps to increase his defensive ability. I do, however, agree, that CP does have better playmaking abilities and his age factor makes him one of the top franchise players in the league.
Thugleavy34
Analyst
And1: 300

Post#26 » by Thugleavy34 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:33 pm

The_Believer wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Who does Paul take on that Baron can't guard? Could Paul hold AI to 5-16 and 12 pts like Baron did? Can Paul guard any top 30 offensive players?

Paul is recognized around the league as one of the top defensive point guards. He is actually better matched up with AI than Baron, small sample size of one game aside. Baron can guard twos like Ben Gordon but that doesn't make him a better defensive player. It's nice and all, but not really a priority. Baron often times gets lazy on defense, Paul doesn't. He's the more efficient player.
The_Believer
Pro Prospect

Post#27 » by The_Believer » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:46 pm

When Baron is actually trying on defense and not being lazy, he's a better defensive player. (See vs. Kobe LAL this year or vs. Wade or any of the other 2's or 3's Baron has slowed). He can guard players MUCH better than Ben Gordon when he's trying. It's just that Baron is like Vince Carter 2.0 at times; he just doesn't use his full ability but is very very talented.

And why isn't defensive versatility important? It causes huge matchup problems for opposing teams. Just wondering.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#28 » by Mylie10 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:49 pm

Operative word; TRYING
Khoee wrote “
Chris Cohan
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#29 » by Chris Cohan » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:08 pm

Belief and its Discontents
Thugleavy34
Analyst

Post#30 » by Thugleavy34 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:10 am

The_Believer wrote:When Baron is actually trying on defense and not being lazy, he's a better defensive player. (See vs. Kobe LAL this year or vs. Wade or any of the other 2's or 3's Baron has slowed). He can guard players MUCH better than Ben Gordon when he's trying. It's just that Baron is like Vince Carter 2.0 at times; he just doesn't use his full ability but is very very talented.

And why isn't defensive versatility important? It causes huge matchup problems for opposing teams. Just wondering.

I'll take the guy who puts out the consistant effort, any day.
Thugleavy34
Analyst

Post#31 » by Thugleavy34 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:12 am

And Vince Carter is a herb. Don't ever bring him in to help your argument ever again.
dajrichshow
Sophomore

Post#32 » by dajrichshow » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:16 am

I don't remember exactly where or when, but I remember Nellie saying earlier this season that when the time came and Baron was on the borderline of being an allstar, he would call up some old pals and call in some favors to help Baron's chances of making the allstar game.
The_Believer
Pro Prospect

Post#33 » by The_Believer » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:05 am

^^^ Reebok also said they were trying to get Baron to the ASG.
And Baron has given a consistent effort, for the most part that is. BTW- I never said I liked Vince at all.
Thugleavy34
Analyst

Post#34 » by Thugleavy34 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:10 am

Re: effort, I was talking about his defense. And I never thought you liked Vince. I still stand by what I said...vehemently. Never, ever, go down that road again.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#35 » by Hopper15 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:10 am

West: Chandler, Nowitzki, West, Paul, Nash, Davis, Roy

East: Sheed, Bosh, Butler, Billups, Calderon, Pierce, Turkoglu

Amare's too big of a liability on defense. The Hornets need at least two in this game, but I went with all three. Calderon's one of my favorites in the league. It was tough leaving Boozer off, but Utah's not a playoff team right now.

I would have gone with Camby over Chandler, except them getting three in this game wouldn't be right. Too bad Melo got in.
Subaculta
Analyst

Post#36 » by Subaculta » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:47 am

Hopper15 wrote:West: Chandler, Nowitzki, West, Paul, Nash, Davis, Roy

East: Sheed, Bosh, Butler, Billups, Calderon, Pierce, Turkoglu

Amare's too big of a liability on defense. The Hornets need at least two in this game, but I went with all three. Calderon's one of my favorites in the league. It was tough leaving Boozer off, but Utah's not a playoff team right now.

I would have gone with Camby over Chandler, except them getting three in this game wouldn't be right. Too bad Melo got in.

The East is such a joke right now... I just spent the last 10 mins going over all the teams in the east to try and come up with better choices then Turkoglu and Butler... and its quite impossible.

without really taking the time to analyze it, you'd have to guess that there's at least 10 players in the West that would make the Eastern conference all star roster that will be left off the Western.

thanks for the sig Boogie!
Thugleavy34
Analyst

Post#37 » by Thugleavy34 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:49 am

Butler is the best SF not named Lebron right now. This is in the entire L, not just the east.
Subaculta
Analyst

Post#38 » by Subaculta » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:01 am

Thugleavy34 wrote:Butler is the best SF not named Lebron right now. This is in the entire L, not just the east.

I would think Jefferson and Granger both give Butler a run for his money in the East...

Out West... as much as I think Melo is an overrated player, he's one of the purest scoring machines in the NBA, and I'll take Josh Howard at the 3 over Butler.

Thats on top of having conversations about Pierce, Jackson, Marion (scoring is down, but rebounding and overall "glue" game have to be considered)... there's a few other 3's to consider as well.

thanks for the sig Boogie!
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#39 » by Hopper15 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:05 am

I'll take Josh over Melo in the West.
Chris Cohan
Banned User

Post#40 » by Chris Cohan » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:21 pm

Subaculta wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I would think Jefferson and Granger both give Butler a run for his money in the East...

Out West... as much as I think Melo is an overrated player, he's one of the purest scoring machines in the NBA, and I'll take Josh Howard at the 3 over Butler.

Thats on top of having conversations about Pierce, Jackson, Marion (scoring is down, but rebounding and overall "glue" game have to be considered)... there's a few other 3's to consider as well.

Howard may top my snub list if he's not a reserve. His continued improvement and consistent production as a key piece on a great team with proven historical success is undeniable. He may be the best 2-way SF in the West and I'm not so sure his near All-NBA D doesn't just make him the best SF not named LeBron, period. He's having his best season ever as a top-10 scoring option in the West.

The list of players in the West bettering Josh Howard's 20.8 PPG and 7.6 RPG: Boozer, Nowitzki, Yao, Stoudemire, period. David West is on the cusp of 20/10, though, and plays for the best team.

I won't cry too much if one of the bubble guards not named Paul or Nash doesn't make the cut but I'd like to see another sort of conventional SG make it besides Kobe. Roy is the guy if the coaches go that route even though Ginobili has had excellent moments for a .667 returning champion. But the Spurs will probably not get the free pass this year since they've been beatable in the first half as they nurse injuries and age on the bench. If Parker and Ginobili are on the team instead of players like Roy, Howard, West, Stoudemire, Camby, Chandler, or Baron, it's a shame.

Find me a better 2 guard in the West who has the credentials Roy does this year. Portland has a winning record against Western playoff contenders and is the second storyline behind New Orleans through the first half. They've been the first on more than one occasion and guys like Sloan, Karl, Scott, Wittman, Johnson, Iavaroni, Theus, Nelson, and Carlesimo who have been beaten by Roy are sure to consider him seriously for a wild card slot. The others who have seen him more than once probably will, too. Baron has strong competition, as great as some of his numbers have been.

All of the worthy talk of a deep guard crop has totally silenced talk about an actually very nice forward and center class and TOTALLY silenced talk about rebounding and defense. Howard is a major player. West is a major player. Boozer may actually need to be booted in favor of one or both of these two, considering the records, though Utah has played excellent overall basketball and is on fire currently. So is Houston, who got too little, too late from McGrady for All Star consideration but figure to get a LOT from him in the second half if early returns off the bench are any indication.

New Orleans is now officially undeniable and I agree completely with David West making the team, especially after what he and New Orleans did to Duncan and co. last night. He may not be a defensive wiz and he isn't a typical high percentage post scorer but he's clearly the Hornets' second go-to guy and the pivotal cog in their inside-out scoring attack throughout the course of the game. Chandler and Camby are both great, Camby's probably better but 3 Nuggets would suck (bad reason but them's the breaks), and Chandler could easily get the nod as the hometown favorite who anchors NO's interior D and lets West focus on scoring. But West has to make it now in his best season ever as the Hornets shake off all question marks besides health through the first half. West deserves it.

Rough year to be a Western coach with a ballot in your hands.

Return to Golden State Warriors