Here comes the Circus!! The trading deadline

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Here comes the Circus!! The trading deadline 

Post#1 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:30 pm

http://www.contracostatimes.com/warrior ... ck_check=1

Here's a breakdown from Marcus Thompson.

My list is:

Sam Cassell
Kurt Thomas
Ron Artest
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
St.Nick
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#2 » by St.Nick » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:49 pm

Dang required registration!

Well, I don't see anyone that I'd really like to add. If we sign Webber then we're pretty much done, I think.

Regarding the players listed...

Cassell I'd take in a heartbeat but only in exchange for Pietrus and a 2nd rd pick, which LA would never do. They'd want more but we'd only offer enough to get a 12mpg backup PG. So that one isn't likely.

K.Thomas...sure, I'd love to have him. But I think his impact would be similar to that of Webbers. And his contract (in exchange for our TPE) would likely put us in lux tax territory. So I don't see him coming aboard.

Artest is bat **** crazy. If he wasn't I'd offer A LOT for him, since his skills at PF would be fantastic for us. But if you want to talk about a potential clubhouse destroyer, look no further than Ron-Ron. Not worth the risk, IMO.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#3 » by turk3d » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:06 pm

I'd do Payton and Webber, see how we do and where we're at at the trade deadline. If we've gotten where we want to be then I say do nothing but if we're not quite where we like to be and there's something really good available for the right price, then we pull the trigger. I say wait until the deadline before doing anything outside (or what we're looking at right now).
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Quackenboss
Rookie
And1: 8

Post#4 » by Quackenboss » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:07 pm

Miami can get under the tax line by sending us J Williams or Ricky Davis. No one's first choices, I'm sure, but guys who would help us this year--plus Miami would probably "pay" us to take one of them.

Same potential situation with San Antonio and Elson. Pietrus for Elson doesn't get them out of the tax though.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#5 » by FNQ » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:26 pm

J Williams is a stump... forget that guy.

Give the Clippers Buke and a 2nd for Cassell... Sterling is pretty cheap and that might get it done. Don't think they will re-ink Cassell this offseason anyways.

Artest would be a good move, though volatile. And w/SAC improving, they'd want a solid young piece in return... not worth it considering he's likely bolting to NY.

Can Kurt Thomas pass? Shoot the 3? He'd be a backup here... Id take him for the TPE and thats all..

Nocioni is my #1... he's built in the Harrington mold, would be a good fit here. I'd give an unprotected #1 to see him here. His defense, like Al, at most times is forgivable, sometimes good, sometimes bad... if you can spot him up for 3, he's wayyyyy better than that 36% career # behind the arc...

Selfishly, I just want Noc to gain C eligibility in fantasy leagues :roll:
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#6 » by Left*My*Heart » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:56 pm

I would take Artest. Yeah he is a headcase, but you have to admit that Jack, CWebb and Artest would make things interesting.

I wouldn't mind trading for Kidd if it didn't break up the core of Baron, Jack, Ellis and Biedrins.
GSWhoopfan
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#7 » by GSWhoopfan » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:58 pm

Artest would make us True Contenders instead of playoff fighters which we are right now. His toughness is part of our new rejuventated culture.
Lets Go Baron Davis...i dont care what jersey you put on. Lets go.
Big Smooth is focused and ready to handle the centers of the league.
Curry and Ellis will be a top 5 back court this season. 6/25/2010
realfung
Assistant Coach
And1: 44

Post#8 » by realfung » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:08 pm

I am not sure if we will trade before deadline, but we will sign Webber ..
Quackenboss
Rookie
And1: 8

Post#9 » by Quackenboss » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:29 pm

I like Nocioni too, but Chicago would have to take Harrington if we're going to pay all our guys.

Artest will probably opt out, thinking he's gonna get a max contract, but I bet Sacramento's asking for more than we're willing to give up.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#10 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:00 pm

I don't think we could get Noch without giving up talent. He's great though. Would love to have him.

I'm for using the Trade exception and maybe our pick for the guys I listed.

Cassell probably won't be back in LA as a Clipper next year. He only makes 6.1 which is a huge bargain. The Clipps want to save as much money as possible to grab somebody in FA who they can add to Brand, Livingston, and Kaman.

Kurt Thomas for the trade exception works for us, but Seattle would want a pick or 2. Thomas can play DEFENSE which is one thing Webber can't do.

Artest for the exception and probably a pick. He's out and the Maloofs need money for next years off season. They've found something in Udrih, Martin, and Salmons. They need to bring someone in via FA.

Each of those guys are playoff tested and each adds toughness off the bench. They also provide injury protection.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Rio to the Bay
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#11 » by Rio to the Bay » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:46 pm

I don't think Baron and Kidd would work on the same team. Not enough ball to go around. [/quote]
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#12 » by Sid the Squid » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:02 pm

Rio to the Bay wrote:I don't think Baron and Kidd would work on the same team. Not enough ball to go around.
[/quote]exactly...awful pairing...Monta fits in great with either Kidd or Baron..Baron and Kidd together? A W F U L
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#13 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:17 am

St.Nick wrote:Cassell I'd take in a heartbeat but only in exchange for Pietrus and a 2nd rd pick, which LA would never do. They'd want more but we'd only offer enough to get a 12mpg backup PG. So that one isn't likely.

I saw rumored in the Boston media that LA might buy out Cassell. Don't believe it though.

Kidd? He would make a great PF here.

I'm thinking that the roster we've got, with a re-signed CJ and Webber, will be the roster for the rest of the year, and there won't be any trades. Warriors just don't have many players left who they're willing to part with, and who have value around the League.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#14 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:57 am

Why would the Clips wanna buy him out when we could give them a trade exception that gives them a year of flexibility and possibly a draft pick?

Cassell and Webber make for nice additions.
Khoee wrote “
ticknyler
Junior

Post#15 » by ticknyler » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:36 am

I would like to see webber on the warriors for vet minimum

Trade Pietrus for Villanueva, cheap and worth a shot...pietrus has no future here anyways and its worth the risk. Add Obryant to the Deal.

Signing Gary Payton for a little more insurance behind Watson, although i would still like watson to see playing time and use payton more for insurance in case Baron gets hurt.

Baron/Payton/Watson
Monta/Buike/Belinelli
Jackson/Barnes
Harrington/Webber/Wright
Biedrins/Villanueva/Croshere

PG-Baron-35 min--Payton-8min--Watson--5min
SG-Monta-35min--Buike-10 min--Jackson 3 min
SF-Jackson 35 min--Barnes 13 min
PF-Harrington-30 min--Webber--13 min--CV--5 min
Biedrins-33 min--CV--10 min--Webber--5 min

Obviously minutes vary based on who on and who's not. Maybe Barnes taking minutes away from Webber with us going small or something of that variety.

I just think are starters need to stop playing 40+ minutes night in and night out.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#16 » by old rem » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:24 am

510Reggae wrote:J Williams is a stump... forget that guy.

Give the Clippers Buke and a 2nd for Cassell... Sterling is pretty cheap and that might get it done. Don't think they will re-ink Cassell this offseason anyways.

Artest would be a good move, though volatile. And w/SAC improving, they'd want a solid young piece in return... not worth it considering he's likely bolting to NY.

Can Kurt Thomas pass? Shoot the 3? He'd be a backup here... Id take him for the TPE and thats all..

Nocioni is my #1... he's built in the Harrington mold, would be a good fit here. I'd give an unprotected #1 to see him here. His defense, like Al, at most times is forgivable, sometimes good, sometimes bad... if you can spot him up for 3, he's wayyyyy better than that 36% career # behind the arc...

Selfishly, I just want Noc to gain C eligibility in fantasy leagues :roll:

Buike for cassell? Maybe Buike for a lottery pick but not foer an aged backup PG you want because of what he USED TO BE. USED TO BE is not what we need...GONNA BE is what we need.

Kurt Thomas is best deployed inside where he's useaful as a Power scorer and rebounder. If we are okay with spending what he costs..he'd do as much as Webber--and probably more. If you just want a perimeter J..play Croshere or POB. Beyond 15 ft-either shoots as well as Kut ( or Webber----except Webb chucks even if he's ice cold)

I like Nocioni. Nellie would play him. It would doom Wright to more delay and it would mean a $$ pinch next year...so we really get him for a #1 and Barnes and ? The hidden cost makes it a bit less ideal,not bad but really not too good. For the 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 years while Nellie is the coach...we do okay. What the next guy has to work with would be less...
CENSORED... No comment.
Rio to the Bay
Sophomore

Post#17 » by Rio to the Bay » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:29 am

From what I have been hearing, there does not seem to be any realistic deals for Pietrus that would be of any benefit to our team. Elson and Jwill do not seem like they could help much and would not be enough value in return for Pietrus. As much as I would like to get rid of Pietrus, I hope it's not for any of those guys.

I don't think there is anything available that would help our team right now, but then again I didn't see us making such a good deal with Indiana either! :rofl: I hope Mully can pull off another move out of his A**.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#18 » by Left*My*Heart » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:16 pm

I think Pietrus for Villanueva is something the Warriors would like to do.
St.Nick
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#19 » by St.Nick » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:42 pm

Villanueva was benched in MIL last game, I believe. He may be had for cheap, ie an expiring contract.

Harrington/Villanueva
Biedrins/Webber

Not a bad looking PF/C rotation.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#20 » by turk3d » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:43 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Why would the Clips wanna buy him out when we could give them a trade exception that gives them a year of flexibility and possibly a draft pick?

Cassell and Webber make for nice additions.

Two broken down players are a bit much as far as I'm concerned. Thud is gone which is good. Cro is still on the roster, may be done. Webber we don't know, but Webber and Cassell + Croshere? That's two many roster spots which would be questionable. We'd be very susceptible to having our season going down the tubes if one of our starters went down for whatever reason for an extended period of time. Right now our two starters at guard are playing at the highest level in the entire league. We don't need someone like Cassell who is going to want to take their minutes. We have CJ who seems to be adequate thus far. I'd wait until around the trade deadline and see how we are and then perhaps go for someone like Cassell if it's really needed. Right now it seems we may be getting on a bit of a roll. Let's see where we are two weeks from now before making any more serious moves.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice

Return to Golden State Warriors