ImageImageImageImageImage

Here comes the Circus!! The trading deadline

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#21 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:16 pm

Are you friggen crazy Turk?

Cassell still has alot left in the tank. He's the type of guy who shines the best the bigger the game is. He wouldn't come in here looking to take either Baron or Monta's spot. Cassell is the ultimate team player.

Why does Boston want him if he's so broken down?

Cassell is an expiring. If Baron were to go down with an injury for a period of time, Sam is the type of guy who could step right in.

He's a big guard and can post people up.

6.1 million is chump change for a player of his caliber.

I don't get you guys some times.

CJ's OK, but Cassell >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CJ.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
St.Nick
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#22 » by St.Nick » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:33 pm

Cassell would be great, but what do you trade to get him?
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#23 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:58 pm

Trade exception and a first round pick

Some will say, "Yikes a first rounder for a rent a player?"

I'd say that this is one year where the first rounder isn't quite as important to us.

We will need to incorporate Wright and Belli into the rotation next year, so the mid first this year won't mean much. We'll probably want to save ourselves from paying the first round money anyhow.

I have no problem with trying to find the diamond in the rough second rounders anyhow.

There's always deals that can be made before the draft if we want to get into the mix.

The Clippers have a nice core if they can resign Brand.

Livingston
Thorton
Brand
Kaman
Mobley.
Maggette (possibly)

Freeing up money to grab a guy in free agency should be their game plan. Our trade exception gives them the option of money saved or using it to do a future deal for them. Also the pick would give them young options to go with their core.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,798

Post#24 » by floppymoose » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:08 pm

Yikes a first rounder for a rent a player?
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#25 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:13 pm

floppymoose wrote:Yikes a first rounder for a rent a player?

:rofl:

Yes that's right you heard me!
Khoee wrote “
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#26 » by St.Nick » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:14 pm

I gotta disagree on the 1st rd pick. Even with Sam we could easily be in the 15-20 range of the next draft. There are lots of athletic PF's in the draft, plus some decent PG's that could become long term backups for us.

If Baron was injured, I'd consider throwing in the pick. With him healthy and Cassell looking at only about 10mpg, I think the price is too steep.

Now a few 2nd rd picks I'd do. But I think LA can do better than that.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#27 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:30 pm

Where do find the room for another 15-20 pick?

Maybe we get lucky and some gem falls, but you have to pay those guys.

We have last years 1sts that need to get into the lineup next year.

You can trade or sign guys that are the 15-20 caliber players.

Personally for a guy as good as Cassell who protects Baron and Monta, then I do it everyday of the week.
Khoee wrote “
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#28 » by St.Nick » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Next year our roster will be:

Baron
Monta
Biedrins
Wright
Harrington
S-Jax
Belinelli
Kosta

That's only eight spots guaranteed. Imagine we re-sign Azu, perhaps Cro, maybe Barnes...thats still only 11 guys. We'd need to add three more: One 1st rd pick, one 2nd rd pick, one cheap FA.

In other words, we need guys to fill up the roster. And a rookie picked in the middle of the first round will offer a lot more value than a cheap FA pickup or D-League call up, in terms of talent, salary, and potential.

So you simply can't trade away mid-first round picks unless you know that you are getting something back VERY special now and for something that is likely to help you into the future, as well.

For all these reasons, we would not trade a 1st rd pick for Sam Cassell.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#29 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:33 pm

Barnes and Azu come back, Cro doesn't.

Why would we resign Cro if his back is acting up this year?

If Webber were to work out decently you might want to bring him back.

Same with Cassell.

I also believe that Nellie coaches next year.

Listen, if we keep our pick so be it. But you should bring in guys every year that can potentially get you over the hump.

All good team make mid-season aquisitions. If you don't you get left behind.

If Casell was no good, then how come so many teams will want him?
Khoee wrote “
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#30 » by St.Nick » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:38 pm

I've said many times that Cassell would be a nice addition and I'd love to have him. But we would not offer enough for the Clips to get him. If they demand a 1st rd pick they can kiss off.

That's just the unfortunate reality of the situation for us in acquiring Sam Cassell.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#31 » by turk3d » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:58 pm

turk3d wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Two broken down players are a bit much as far as I'm concerned. Thud is gone which is good. Cro is still on the roster, may be done. Webber we don't know, but Webber and Cassell + Croshere? That's two many roster spots which would be questionable. We'd be very susceptible to having our season going down the tubes if one of our starters went down for whatever reason for an extended period of time. Right now our two starters at guard are playing at the highest level in the entire league. We don't need someone like Cassell who is going to want to take their minutes. We have CJ who seems to be adequate thus far. I'd wait until around the trade deadline and see how we are and then perhaps go for someone like Cassell if it's really needed. Right now it seems we may be getting on a bit of a roll. Let's see where we are two weeks from now before making any more serious moves.

Look at my last statement Mylie. If a couple of weeks down the road (at the trade deadline) and it turns out we're not looking that good, and if Sam-I-Am is still avalailable, and point guard turns out to be our most pressing need, then I say let's go but right now I like we're at and I just don't think that Cassell is the same player he was a few years ago. As a matter of fact, I liken him to Webber in a sense, except we'd be paying substantially more than the minimum for him and no way is he worth a #1 draft pick to me. I know it's only Cohan's money but I can't see him spending it for someone who maybe entirely unecessary at this point.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#32 » by ATRAIN53 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:18 pm

I could totally see Cassell on the Warriors-
and it is a tough call if he's worth giving up a young talent/future pick.

I think i might, esp since i see the Warriors as a team that has a legit shot at the title now. Cassell has been there before and that's the kind of experience/leadership that is keeping San Antonio on top.

think back to Miami a couple of years ago and how Payton/Mourning and even Walker all did little things that made a difference in that Dallas series and put them over the top.

Nocioni would also be a good pick-up - he would match-up very well against Ginobli. remember Ginobli is a very physical player and you need a guy like Noch to fight him off. Noch is probably one of the few NBA players that can give his fellow countryman fits. Noch would also help with Bowen.
rutheredfox
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#33 » by rutheredfox » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:23 pm

add devon hardin to the roster for next year.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#34 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:37 pm

turk3d wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Look at my last statement Mylie. If a couple of weeks down the road (at the trade deadline) and it turns out we're not looking that good, and if Sam-I-Am is still avalailable, and point guard turns out to be our most pressing need, then I say let's go but right now I like we're at and I just don't think that Cassell is the same player he was a few years ago. As a matter of fact, I liken him to Webber in a sense, except we'd be paying substantially more than the minimum for him and no way is he worth a #1 draft pick to me. I know it's only Cohan's money but I can't see him spending it for someone who maybe entirely unecessary at this point.

The thread is "the trading deadline", geez!

I give up the first this year, you don't. big deal you're no more or less right than I am.

I say do it whether we're looking good or not.
Khoee wrote “
Rio to the Bay
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#35 » by Rio to the Bay » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:46 pm

I like Villanueva. Is Pietrus for Vallanueva really do-able?

What will happen to Harrington don't they pretty much have the same game? Don't know if I could stand to watch two Al Harrington's on the court at the same time!

Return to Golden State Warriors