ImageImageImageImageImage

A peek at next season... what to do?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

mistatwo mayn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

A peek at next season... what to do? 

Post#1 » by mistatwo mayn » Fri Feb 1, 2008 8:20 am

A couple of picks....2nd rounder + a 1st round pick.... how will the Warriors looks?

Locks:
Baron
Ellis
Harrington
Jackson
Biedrins
Wright
Belli
Kosta

Bargin buys:
Buke
CJ
Barnes- 5 years at 250K lol..

The Vets:
Croshore
Webber

On the outskirts:
Pietrus
POB (personally, I don't think he's leaving)

Leaving us with a probable 13 players set.
Assuming we swing Petey for someone at the trade deadline, there is only one open roster spot open for 2 draft picks.... which brings the point:

How much is the pick really valued?

Could an imitation Chinese Artest (R. Patterson... or hell... the real deal Artest?) make this team like the deep end of the pool?
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#2 » by St.Nick » Fri Feb 1, 2008 9:09 am

We need a SF to build with for the future, a true PG to take over for Baron eventually, or a bulky PF.

I think we should aim for a SF--someone that can shoot like Brandon Rush-- with the first pick and the BPA with the second pick.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#3 » by Left*My*Heart » Fri Feb 1, 2008 2:29 pm

Depending on what happens by the trade deadline, our off season will be extremely interesting.

I don't think that Biedrins and Ellis are locks to still be on the team. They may price themselves out of a Warrior uniform. I'm very concerned about Biedrins and how far apart they are in negotiations. The Warriors appear to have established hard line cap amounts for each position. This appears to be the strategy of several teams and the free agent money last year was very tight.

That said, there was some teams that overpayed Magic and Bobcats for instance. I'm afraid that someone with cap space will try and lure Biedrins away. If the offer is crazy, I don't see the Warriors matching.

With all of this, the Warriors have a lot of options. IMO that the Warriors are becoming more attractive to free agents. I don't think they will attract any big free agents, but they are a contender as long as the core four are in place.

If Nellie is still here, the draft will be very interesting. We would still have the TE, if it wasn't used at the trade deadline, and a guy who likes to pull the trigger on big deals. I would love to see Michael Beasley in a Warriors uniform.
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#4 » by Sid the Squid » Fri Feb 1, 2008 3:09 pm

Nice Story is a *lock* to accept his player option..Are you kidding me? He stinks..He's a Bakersfield scrub....He's a short 2 gaurd with zero court vision....
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,303

Post#5 » by Sleepy51 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 3:33 pm

LF75 wrote:Nice Story is a *lock* to accept his player option..Are you kidding me? He stinks..He's a Bakersfield scrub....He's a short 2 gaurd with zero court vision....a rocksteady 3ball, can finish, and rebounds like a PF.

Fixed.

If he learns to be at all competent on D, then he has a place in this league. There's a lot of career left ahead of him and he could progress into a nice player.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
Sid the Squid
Banned User

Post#6 » by Sid the Squid » Fri Feb 1, 2008 3:37 pm

I'm sure the truth lies somewhere inbetween on Azubuike..I was just doing my shock jock routine ...Hoping Laki will read this..He's hiding in the HOShame right now
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#7 » by Sleepy51 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 3:43 pm

LF75 wrote:I'm sure the truth lies somewhere inbetween on Azubuike..I was just doing my shock jock routine ...Hoping Laki will read this..He's hiding in the HOShame right now

So here's a question:

Should Bukie learn not to embarass himself on D, how do we find PT for Belli next year?
Carl_Monday
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Carl_Monday » Fri Feb 1, 2008 3:44 pm

Unless he has a horriffic knee injury, Buike is opting out. His PO is for the minimum; he's worth more than that and he'll get it.

Left*My*Heart, I know a lot can change in other teams' financial situations between now and the deadline, but as it stands there won't be a team out there under the cap to throw big money at either Ellis or Beans. The only team (as of now) that would have that kind of cap room is the 76ers, and they won't ge after Beans because they've already got a $10 mil per center in Daly, and I don't see them going after Ellis, because they've got a poor-man's Ellis in Louis Williams that they need to re-sign. They're priority will be to go after a 4 (Brand?).

If I had to bet, I'd say both of those guys lock up long term contracts this summer, but I am a little worried about Beans. Considering that they're so far apart, and considering the direction that the NBA is going with regards to Restricted Free Agency, there's a decent chance that no deal will get done and Beans will play for the QO. This is huge because there projects to be a few teams angling for cap space in the summer of 2009, and Beans would be Unrestricted, meaning we could lose him for nothing and not have a say in the matter.

My prediciton for this summer: lock up Tay and Beans, but it takes the team right to the luxury tax threshold and they basically fill out the rest of the roster with vets on the minimum. Buike, Pietrus, POB, and Barnes all gone (though the only one with a sliver of a chance to re-sign is Barnes). If the front office locks up Monta and Beans to reasonable deals, and the team is left with something that resembles depth, I'd call that a successful summer considering the circumstances. :dontknow:
Sid the Squid
Banned User

Post#9 » by Sid the Squid » Fri Feb 1, 2008 4:03 pm

Carl_Monday wrote:Unless he has a horriffic knee injury, Buike is opting out. His PO is for the minimum; he's worth more than that and he'll get it.

I'll bet you 10 realgm bucks on that one :nod: ...Buike is barely hanging on right now to his last bit of playing time.
Sid the Squid
Banned User

Post#10 » by Sid the Squid » Fri Feb 1, 2008 4:06 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

So here's a question:

Should Bukie learn not to embarass himself on D, how do we find PT for Belli next year?
Ive seen enough of Azubuike to know he doesnt fit with a running team...Nice Story really struggles in the open court...Belinelli still has a chance to be something..I mean how many minutes have any of us actually watched of him? He's still breathing...
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#11 » by Sleepy51 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 4:10 pm

LF75 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Ive seen enough of Azubuike to know he doesnt fit with a running team...Nice Story really struggles in the open court...Belinelli still has a chance to be something..I mean how many minutes have any of us actually watched of him? He's still breathing...

Ok, I can see that.

Belli's handle gives me a stiffy. I have no idea why he says he doesn't like ball pressure. He should be dying to torch guys off the dribble - that damn Euroleague high school harry ball!!!!
Left*My*Heart
RealGM

Post#12 » by Left*My*Heart » Fri Feb 1, 2008 4:32 pm

I doubt Buike opts out...where is he going to go? His play is too inconsistent and his defense is suspect.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM

Post#13 » by Left*My*Heart » Fri Feb 1, 2008 4:44 pm

I believe that Buike has a team option for next year, not a player option.
mistatwo mayn
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by mistatwo mayn » Fri Feb 1, 2008 4:46 pm

Nice Story and Cinderella will not be priced nearly high... I'd doubt they can ask for more than 1.3

Dre is not leaving. Mullin said it himself. The whole CATCH is if you can sell them as a duo for about 16-7 million. If you can do that... you're in great shape.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM

Post#15 » by Left*My*Heart » Fri Feb 1, 2008 4:54 pm

Mullin said that he wasn't trading JRich too.
Sid the Squid
Banned User

Post#16 » by Sid the Squid » Fri Feb 1, 2008 5:46 pm

Left*My*Heart wrote:I believe that Buike has a team option for next year, not a player option.
I wish you were right...but :nonono:
Carl_Monday
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#17 » by Carl_Monday » Fri Feb 1, 2008 5:52 pm

LF75 wrote: I'll bet you 10 realgm bucks on that one :nod: ...Buike is barely hanging on right now to his last bit of playing time.

:thumbsup:

10 realgm bucks it is.

There's so many marginal players in this league, you don't think that some team will offer him more than the vet minimum? Despite his flaws he does have some strengths to his game (relative to other bench players). He's got a lot of publicity this year, and he is a "nice story" after all. :wink:
MightyReds2020
Analyst
And1: 12

Post#18 » by MightyReds2020 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 8:55 pm

LF75 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I kinda agree Buke doesn't really fit with the Warriors. Couple of weeks ago I said Buke is exactly like a JRich - good scorer but doesn't fit Warriors' style.

Then again, I looked back at Monta's career and see how he's grew to a capable ball-handler and defender, and wonder if it won't happen with Buke sometime in the near future.

I will still take Buke over Marco in next 3 years. Actually that's not fair because Buke is more of a SF/SG (albeit undersized) and Marco is more of a combo guard like Monta.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#19 » by FNQ » Fri Feb 1, 2008 9:13 pm

Buke = JRich without the decent D, and without the ability to create good shots for himself
MightyReds2020
Analyst
And1: 12

Post#20 » by MightyReds2020 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 9:21 pm

510Reggae wrote:Buke = JRich without the decent D, and without the ability to create good shots for himself

Yea but, Buke in his second season > JRich in his second season.

Return to Golden State Warriors