ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Gasol to the Lakers

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

nbenmargi
Senior
And1: 1

Post#61 » by nbenmargi » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:17 pm

I hate trades like this. This trade is so horribly lopsided you've got to wonder what's really going on. Memphis basically gave up their best player for cap space. My only hope is that this move will at least **** the Lakers up financially.
mistatwo mayn
Lead Assistant

Post#62 » by mistatwo mayn » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:24 pm

Owners should veto this trade... its just a bad bad bad bad deal. At least get draft picks in 2015... unprotected.
moneyman
Freshman

Post#63 » by moneyman » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:37 pm

Owners should veto this trade... its just a bad bad bad bad deal. At least get draft picks in 2015... unprotected.

Yes, almost as bad as Speedy Claxton and Dale Davis for Baron Davis. Teams at bottom scrap salary and start over. No since in being bad and broke. The real question is Mike Miller to the Warriors for trade exception and future pick the next move. In line with new Grizz stategy...however it may be more salary then Cohan can stomach with anticipated extensions.
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 828

Post#64 » by marthafokker » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:47 pm

Hey... just noticed.... Memphis gets to keep a Gasol. :rofl2:

Guess there is no Gasol reunion tour.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Post#65 » by azwfan » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:51 pm

I wouldnt mind doing that if we unload Belineli and Kosta in the move.

Kosta, Pietrus, and Belineli for Mike Miller. We'll add $6 million to our cap next year by giving them our top prospects Kostaneli.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#66 » by ILOVEIT » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:56 pm

The next idiot that says there is NO WAY their star will be traded unless they get a star in return should be laughed off the face of the earth.

Gasol for Sh#$ is about what the trade amounts to.

But look at the last major trades....

Baron Davis for Speedy and expiring contract
KG for Al Jefferson and garbage (although Gomes turned out well) expiring contracts

Now Gasol for garbage/expiring contracts and two future LOW first round picks....

Bottom line.....GMs now want to save money over getting decent players back.....

Mullin and Nelson are going to need to get their A#$ in gear to keep the Warriors contending....and I just absolutely HATE to see the Lakers getting better again so fast.... And yes...Jason to them for Lamar is of course a very natural next step....ugh.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Tivon
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#67 » by Tivon » Fri Feb 1, 2008 11:06 pm

that deal just screwed the western conference all the **** up!

Bynum, Gasol, Odom, Kobe, Fisher?

thats ridiculous...all they lost was crittingtons upside? (IF THAT)

**** memphis that was a backdoor buddy deal...I wish they had a veto system like fantasy league lol

**** gasol already detroys us, Kobe already destroys us...Together?

I hope they have chemistry issues...or gasols gimpy ass remains injured

( i dont like wishing injury on people) but damn...

Great move on the lakers behalf.

:banghead:
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,302

Post#68 » by Sleepy51 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 11:13 pm

Tivon wrote:**** memphis that was a backdoor buddy deal...

One has to wonder . . . :nonono:
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
Reverse-D-Curse
Sophomore

Post#69 » by Reverse-D-Curse » Fri Feb 1, 2008 11:20 pm

1st another Warriorless All-Star game, now this.

I'm suddenly feeling sick.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,552

Post#70 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Fri Feb 1, 2008 11:26 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:The next idiot that says there is NO WAY their star will be traded unless they get a star in return should be laughed off the face of the earth.

Gasol for Sh#$ is about what the trade amounts to.

But look at the last major trades....

Baron Davis for Speedy and expiring contract
KG for Al Jefferson and garbage (although Gomes turned out well) expiring contracts

Now Gasol for garbage/expiring contracts and two future LOW first round picks....

Bottom line.....GMs now want to save money over getting decent players back.....

Mullin and Nelson are going to need to get their A#$ in gear to keep the Warriors contending....and I just absolutely HATE to see the Lakers getting better again so fast.... And yes...Jason to them for Lamar is of course a very natural next step....ugh.

Well, the KG deal doesn't really belong in this list. There is a big difference between getting expiring contracts and getting Al Jefferson and expiring contracts. For that matter, even the complementary pieces in that deal are more interesting.

I was shocked that we got Baron as cheaply as we did, and I'm shocked that Memphis gave up Gasol as cheaply as they did. Even if they don't want big contracts, wouldn't you imagine they could have (for example) said, "Fine. You want Gasol, go get us some cheap guys from Golden State. I don't care how." Odom into the trade exception, Buike and POB to Memphis, whatever. Memphis gets exactly what they got plus a little bit more, and the Lakers upgrade from Odom to Gasol. Which of course they'd rather upgrade from nothing to Gasol, but why they had that option is a mystery to me.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
sanddude909
Bench Warmer

Post#71 » by sanddude909 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 11:28 pm

There is another bit of bad news for the Warriors.

Per hoopshype dot com, the Grizzlies are at 44 million for next year. that includes Swift's option but not Collins's.

That means that they might well be in the market for a center, now that Gasol is gone.

Depending on how much more salary they unload, they may have enough cap room to make Andiris $12-13 million per year contract in which case Gasol for cap space = Gasol for Biedrins.

if we match, we may not have enough money to re-sign Andris and Monta.

And if we lose Andris, then shame on Mullin for not signing Andris to the 5-year, $45 million deal that was rumored to be acceptable to Andris and his agent last fall.

then we'll all have the fun of watching the lottery again.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#72 » by Sleepy51 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 11:30 pm

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:, but why they had that option is a mystery to me.

When Jerry West is hired as president of basketball operations for the Lakers you'll understand.

This is horse s :censored:
Pootie41
Banned User

Post#73 » by Pootie41 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 11:53 pm

Was this a deal generated by Pau's agent? They say agents run Hollywood. I have felt this was the case in the NBA recently, too. Are there any common agents of Pau's and some LA star?
timlin500
Starter
And1: 124

Post#74 » by timlin500 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 11:55 pm

Is it April fools day? I hate my life :(
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#75 » by Sleepy51 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 11:57 pm

Anybody remember Kobe and Buss meeting in spain this year?

Remember the quickly dissapated news coverage of Kobe spending some time with Gasol during that same period? This has been in the works for some time. That West chips in for such a ridiculous fleecing just adds to the stench.

At what point does something like this become tampering if it's anyone but the Lakers?
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,074

Post#76 » by Twinkie defense » Sat Feb 2, 2008 12:01 am

I just can't see the Warriors letting Biedrins or Monta go for monetary reasons... that's one big reason they've made the moves they've made over the last year, to keep the young core intact.

Does this Lakers move put more pressure on Dallas to bring in more talent? Jason Kidd?

I don't know if the Lakers would move Odom to get Kidd at this point. They've got another star, and their triangle offense has less need for a good PG than other systems. Plus, what a daunting front line, with Bynum, Gasol, and Odom. Warriors only hope will be to run those guys right off the court.

Gasol's salary is too big for the Warriors' TPE. If that weren't the case, I bet the Grizzlies would have rather taken a couple of the Warriors firsts, Belinelli, and expirings. But I'm not sold that Gasol is a great fit for the Warriors. Gimme Rasheed instead!

It's too soon to say whether this was a good or bad move by the Grizzlies. They've got some good young talent, are going to have a very high pick in the draft, and cap room to bring in a FA. They also need cap relief, things weren't working with Gasol, and by the time the young guys are peaking, Gasol is likely to be on the downside of his career. Plus, again, I don't know if Gasol is the best fit for Iavaroni's fast-paced offense.

Now that the Grizzlies are officially reloading, though, I pray that Mike Miller becomes a Warrior - Belinelli and a first. Having consistent, high-percentage perimeter shooting, with range well beyond the arc, could do more for the Warriors than a solid PF.
sanddude909
Bench Warmer

Post#77 » by sanddude909 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 12:09 am

Now that the Grizzlies are officially reloading, though, I pray that Mike Miller becomes a Warrior - Belinelli and a first. Having consistent, high-percentage perimeter shooting, with range well beyond the arc, could do more for the Warriors than a solid PF.

I couldn't agree more.

Having Miller come off the bench to replace Monta and Jackson would give the Warriors what they have been lacking all year: a consistent jump shooter.

Monta will be that next year, but Miller is better than Monta as a jump shooter this year.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,718

Post#78 » by floppymoose » Sat Feb 2, 2008 12:44 am

THIS JUST IN: WARRIORS BONED AGAIN
NuWarriors
Lead Assistant
And1: 715

Post#79 » by NuWarriors » Sat Feb 2, 2008 12:45 am

Man this bites... but good to see the trade season start off with a bang.
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#80 » by Sid the Squid » Sat Feb 2, 2008 12:48 am

sanddude909 wrote:I pray that Mike Miller becomes a Warrior -.
I feeling like that little guy who runs Iran...I now ban prayer on basketball message boards. :nonono:

Return to Golden State Warriors