ImageImageImageImageImage

The amazingly sucky Darius Songaila Thread TM

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

The amazingly sucky Darius Songaila Thread TM 

Post#1 » by Benjammin » Sat Feb 2, 2008 2:14 am

If there is already such a thread, please merge, otherwise, it is now long overdue.
Tiny Too
Sophomore
And1: 5

Post#2 » by Tiny Too » Sat Feb 2, 2008 2:15 am

Double post, double post!!
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#3 » by Dat2U » Sat Feb 2, 2008 2:22 am

Damn Ben, you beat me to it. I've been meaning to make this one for a while.

Songaila was a waste of a free agent signing. One of EG's biggest mistakes. There was no market for this scrub who got the LLE from Chicago and followed it up with an injury plagued season only to get payed more than $20 mil by EG.

He's no better than an 11th or 12th man off the bench. He should never ever ever play C. He's like a poor man's Christian Laettner circa 2002.

I'd love it if EG could find a way to deal this bum for an expiring before the trade deadline.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#4 » by Benjammin » Sat Feb 2, 2008 2:40 am

Dat, you didn't like the signing at the time. I was agnostic on it. When he doesn't make his mid range J he is pretty useless. His passing has even been poor. Defensively and on the boards he is a major liability.
newslowsad
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#5 » by newslowsad » Sat Feb 2, 2008 2:42 am

d song was an underwhelming signing. as it stands, he is an underwhelming player who has no potential left to explore. opec is taller, younger, and hopefully can grow into a better version of song as many have speculated.
newslowsad
Veteran

Post#6 » by newslowsad » Sat Feb 2, 2008 2:59 am

i can't believe he's still in the game.
Tiny Too
Sophomore
And1: 5

Post#7 » by Tiny Too » Sat Feb 2, 2008 3:32 am

Yes, EVERYONE agrees that he is truly "amazingly sucky." The real question is... where does he rate in the recent Wizard Amazingly Sucky Hall of Fame??

Please rank the following candidates, mindful of their $ cost (ie. real value or lack thereof), in their suckiness relative to their competition:

Darius Songaila
Jared Jeffries
Juwan Howard
Michael Ruffin
Etan Thomas
Jarvis Hayes
Ike Austin
Kwame Brown

Also, please nominate (and rank) anyone else I have forgotten. Thanks.
go'stags
Sixth Man
And1: 29

Post#8 » by go'stags » Sat Feb 2, 2008 3:41 am

I would honestly rate Songaila, with the way he is playing right now, as the worst of that list. Certainly not the most disappointing, but the worst. He offers nothing to us right now.
LyricalRico wrote:
Speaking of giant penises, what's up with Bobby Simmons?.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#9 » by miller31time » Sat Feb 2, 2008 3:43 am

One of the worst players in the NBA at the moment.

Horrible rebounder, horrible defender, average passer, horrible shooter (this season at least).

A complete and total detriment when he's in the game, on both sides of the court.

"Amazingly sucky" just doesn't do him justice sometimes.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,299

Post#10 » by nate33 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 3:53 am

He is indeed amazingly sucky this year.

I'm still not going to be too hard on EG for the signing though. He played pretty well last year despite a bad back. I looked forward to him being a solid veteran role player for us this year. Instead, he is playing some of the worst basketball this team has seen in ages. I just can't figure out what happened to him.
lupin
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by lupin » Sat Feb 2, 2008 3:53 am

someone had to replace Ruffin...
------------------------------
New RealGM :: New Coke :: is the suck.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#12 » by MJG » Sat Feb 2, 2008 3:54 am

I really want to know what happened to the guy. You spend your career being a decent role player, then suddenly decide one season to become a giant puddle of awful. What brings that kind of thing on?
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#13 » by miller31time » Sat Feb 2, 2008 3:58 am

I never knew (prior to his Wizards career) just how plodding and slow he was. The man can't move, it seems. The position he gives defenders is horrible (his opponent can literally get any kind of offensive position they want - and there's a 99% chance they'll either get a made basket, a foul, or the dreaded "both").

On offense, when his jumper isn't falling (aka: always), he is forced to attack the basket, but the problem is that (like defense) he's so damn slow that the defender has plenty of time to anticipate his move and defend it well.

Ugh...we're paying this guy near the MLE? :puke:
wateryd
Freshman

Post#14 » by wateryd » Sat Feb 2, 2008 4:15 am

it's the disappearance of his jump shot that's been the main problem this year. he'll never win any awards for athleticism but he's always shot at least 48% from the field; he shot 52% last year. down to 44% this year is simply unacceptable. you'd like to think that the law of averages will balance that out over the second half. actually, you'd like to think it won't because he won't get enough attempts to make a difference because he won't be seeing more than 10 mpg.

dude's been a solid role player for his entire career but it's just not happening these days. him and AD seemed to be clicking earlier in the year but that's not the case anymore. he really needs to be parked on the bench for now.
tkunit
Head Coach
And1: 7

Post#15 » by tkunit » Sat Feb 2, 2008 4:20 am

he is slow, doesn't get boards, and can't play D anymore. Also we go to him in the post a lot. It is not good.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#16 » by hands11 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 4:23 am

Hurry back Etan. Could Songaila suck bad enough to rally the troops to call for Etan to get back soon?

EG, its all you baby. Get that magic going and get us a back up PG for AD and get ride of this sucky Songaila.
Soup's Uncle
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#17 » by Soup's Uncle » Sat Feb 2, 2008 5:02 am

terrible
F Street = Wall Street
Wiz Fo Champz
Banned User

Post#18 » by Wiz Fo Champz » Sat Feb 2, 2008 5:12 am

I've been getting frustrated at him all season long. He can't even hit wide open jumpers anymore. At least last year when we had Ruffin, he would make bad decisions but he would hustle. All I've seen from Songaila is missed layups, dumb fouls, and yelling at the refs. He shouldn't be playing at all but when you have 9 active players that's not an option.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#19 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Feb 2, 2008 5:13 am

nate33 wrote:He is indeed amazingly sucky this year.

I'm still not going to be too hard on EG for the signing though. He played pretty well last year despite a bad back. I looked forward to him being a solid veteran role player for us this year. Instead, he is playing some of the worst basketball this team has seen in ages. I just can't figure out what happened to him.

This reminds me SO MUCH of DeShawn Stevenson's playoff slump and his CRAP shooting the first few games this season.

I for one am going to be the one to say Songaila's got talent or EG wouldn't have signed him.

Darius is IMO injured and laboring up and down the court. He probably has been out of so many games he's trying to go now, regardless. That and being floor bound and slow would tend to hold the guy down a bit.

Blatche is a better option and probably Pecherov, too, but, hopefully, Songaila bounces back just like DeShawn.

I have faith in EG and in what Darius showed glimpses of in the past.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#20 » by LyricalRico » Sat Feb 2, 2008 12:51 pm

^ I dunno, CCJ. The guy played better coming off of back surgery. He was effective in the post, he ran the pick-n-roll flawlessly with AD, passed well, and made open shots.

Now, after having an entire offseason to get fully healthy and learn the system, he all of a sudden reeks of suckiness? Maybe he's just done. Otherwise how do you explain him losing ALL of his abilities at the same time?

Return to Washington Wizards