ImageImageImageImageImage

*Welcome Back JR*: Cats [18-28] @ GSW [28-19] Fri 2/1 7:30PM

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

DeeZi
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#441 » by DeeZi » Sat Feb 2, 2008 7:36 pm

I agree that CJ is not as pure of a point guard as many would've liked. He plays within himself, very Bukie-like. But in comparison to Jasikevicius and Thud, I like him better than both. He's not a superb 3rd string pg but a lot better than what we've had recently. I would compare him to a more reliable McLeod, or what McLeod was in Utah (honestly, not that bad before he came here).
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#442 » by Sleepy51 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 7:44 pm

I think your being misled by his boxscore against REALLY bad competition. His play did not facilitate for the other guys. There were passes to be made when he was forcing up his own shot. It was pure summer league garbage, and it will not help us against any decent teamin any minutes that count.

The key is that our emergency PG can't try to be a mini-Baron or a mini-Monta. If they had the skills to replace that point production against decent competition they wouldn't be available as a #3. The guy filling the taxi spot for us doesn't need to be entertaining in garbage time. They need to be able to set the table for the better players and defend the position well enough not to get us crushed should we find ourselves without Baron or Monta for any extended period.

If we ever have to ride out a stretch with CJ playing 10-15mpg he's going to kill us.

Go get another passer Mulson.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#443 » by Sleepy51 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 7:47 pm

I would DEFINITELY prefer Mcleod to CJ.

Where's Dew?
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#444 » by turk3d » Sat Feb 2, 2008 8:00 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:I think your being misled by his boxscore against REALLY bad competition. His play did not facilitate for the other guys. There were passes to be made when he was forcing up his own shot. It was pure summer league garbage, and it will not help us against any decent teamin any minutes that count.

How many times during this season have we seen Andris (or someone else) open and they are either passed up or passed to late (this goes for Jack, Baron and Monta)? Last game may have been the best OVERALL passing game they've had all season long and we still saw some of this a few times. So to single out CJ in this regard is just not fair imo.

The biggest thing to me is that he had many touches this game but 0 turnovers. If our point guards (or any or any of our guards for that matter) shoots 50% and has 0 turnovers, I'm not going to complain one iota. You may be right, maybe he WILL suck for the rest of this season, but I cannot see how you dis him after he put together a somewhat decent performance. After all, the guys 3rd string. You want someone better, I can see that but I'm not sure that's likely going to take place so all I'm saying is that I think I can live with him at this point.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
mistatwo mayn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#445 » by mistatwo mayn » Sat Feb 2, 2008 8:04 pm

Hey what did Baron say to Morrison?

If POB was as mean as Hollins (I didn't mind it) he'd be a HOF
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#446 » by Sleepy51 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 8:21 pm

turk3d wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

How many times during this season have we seen Andris (or someone else) open and they are either passed up or passed to late (this goes for Jack, Baron and Monta)? Last game may have been the best OVERALL passing game they've had all season long and we still saw some of this a few times. So to single out CJ in this regard is just not fair imo.

I'm singling out CJ because he's not going to be able to score against real NBA players (not Charlotte's dregs.)
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#447 » by turk3d » Sat Feb 2, 2008 8:44 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'm singling out CJ because he's not going to be able to score against real NBA players (not Charlotte's dregs.)

That's probably true Sleepy but when the Warriors play like they were Friday, it can open up some nice looks for the 5th man and one thing appears to be true about CJ, he can hit the open jumper (as indicated by his D league shooting percentages and his 3 pt percentage thus far in the NBA).

I definitely do not think he will be able to get his own shots here (doesn't need to, nor do we want him to) but it's more about decisions on when to shoot, and getting good shots I believe is what we want out of him. We really don't need him to score for this team, that was one of the problems we had with Thud (too much chucking and not making), we just need him to protect the ball and make good decisions, maybe taking an occasional shot when a good one's available.

I agree with you that we could run into a problem is one of our starters goes down which no doubt is a risk but I'm confident that with Jack (as our backup) and possibily Bellini (you seem to indicate that you think he can handle the backup point duites if necessary) we'll be able to manage. I just don't see us coming up with anything much better at this point, I'm still more concerned about our big man situation and I'm hoping that Webber will be able to help along those lines.

I kind of like what we have now, I just wish Nellie would go to his bench more (like he did last night) and utilize more of his players (especially the bigs). I think that if he did that we would win some of the games we lose and would probably increase the number of points we win by.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#448 » by Twinkie defense » Sat Feb 2, 2008 10:11 pm

What is it with posters getting all riled about third-string, end of bench players like CJ and POB? Either they're obvious stars and Nellie just doesn't get it, or how on earth could the FO extend a (very small) contract to this obvious scrub?
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#449 » by Sid the Squid » Sat Feb 2, 2008 10:18 pm

jrhester wrote:What is it with posters getting all riled about third-string, end of bench players like CJ and POB?
Is there anything you dont get all mixed up? :confused:

CJ is not a "end of the bench player"...That's the problem
..He's in the rotation...He comes in the games...
GSWbandwagon
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#450 » by GSWbandwagon » Sat Feb 2, 2008 10:18 pm

i was at the game. watson was pretty bad running the team. he was definitely trying to score 1st, score 2nd, and set up others maybe 7th or 8th.

belli didn't run the team in garbage time. he did in the last few minutes and looked pretty good doing it with 2 exceptions, but for the first 5 or 6 minutes he was out there belli was totally ignored. he played the pietrus corner shooter role minus the occasional attempt. eventually nellie switched belli to point and things went better.

i was also upset with buike in garbage time. you already have a spot in the rotation. there's really no need to be a stat whore.

it's garbage time. more looks for the rookies, less for the d leaguers. this isn't summer league; you already made the team.

the warriors cheated me. they combined webber with richardson so it was harder to boo. when webber came out for warmups there was an initial cheer and then a boo as everyone kind of recognized what happened. neither was anywhere near as loud as the reaction jason got.

pietrus had a really nice game. when charlotte cut into the lead, nellie called time and brought pietrus in for barnes. we doubled the lead again after that.

we came out playing terrible defense. i was screaming for andris. we gave up backdoor cuts, layups every which way, etc. once andris came in we asserted dominance. charlotte just played atrocious defense throughout.

i think someone asked earlier in this thread why belli gets a louder reaction than wright. i think its because belli is struggling with his confidence (or that's my perception of him). i think its just that he seems to need the encouragement more than wright does.

one more note on belli: he has a weird need to add a degree of difficulty. he didn't try a single jumper just going straight up. everything was leaning and moving.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#451 » by Mylie10 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 11:02 pm

Good to finally see Belli creating like he showed flashes of in Summer League. That's the kind of play we want to see from him, not the fans shouting for him to bomb away as soon as he touches it.

We need more PG play from Belli, he'll still get some open looks that come in the context of the game.

Brandan's so athletic. He needs to play much more than he does. I'd so much rather see more Wright than pete, but that was a nice effort from Mickael.

Was disappointed in how the scrubs ran offense in garbage. That was the perfect time to see them run plays that they've no doubt learned together.

I thought they were often out of control and to much attempts come from guys who actually get minutes. We should have made an effort to run some pick and roll plays with Belli and a big.

O'Bryant is so long, I don't comprehend why we don'e use that length more. It's clear that Wright and Obee get to balls that others have no shot getting. The shot blocking alone is what this defense of ours is crying for.

Patrick has always had a nicer jump shot than BW, and it looked good last night.

Alot of dumb fouls, but consistant playing time takes care of that crap.

Jax on fire!

Nice game for Webber to see before he gets in there.

The Bobcats have no bench and Boykins, McInnis, and DAnderson were horrible.

Take the win with a grain of salt, but nice to have going into the Gasol/Break. You know we will be thinking Lakers going down as a major focus.

Poor Jason. That was definitely not what he was hoping for.

I hope the Bobcats win every single game they play against the West now.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,562

Post#452 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Sun Feb 3, 2008 4:15 am

Bellinelli came out doing exactly what he's been doing that drives me nuts. I swear we should just send him out on the floor with a folding chair, because he goes to the three point line and just sits there.

After he'd been out there a few minutes, I'm not sure what got to him, but he knocked it off. He started moving more. Started taking it to the basket. And lo and behold, he started getting more touches.

Maybe it is chicken and egg. You can claim he camps at the three point line because noone will pass poor Marco the ball. But I'd contend that if he's gonna do that, then he's done for and is never going to get it, so he needs to play right and move. I have hope for the guy, but I was finding it hysterical how much blind, inexplicable love he gets from the crowd. I was really happy to see him get involved and start earning some of the cheers.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly

Return to Golden State Warriors