A Glimpse Ahead: Big Man Returns at 35

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,796

A Glimpse Ahead: Big Man Returns at 35 

Post#1 » by floppymoose » Sat Feb 2, 2008 11:20 pm

Coming back to the franchise where it all started, the big man doesn't have much to say about his disagreements with the coach at the start of his career.

"That's all behind me. I just want to help out the team. I like the brand of basketball they play."

Winding down his all-star studded career, it remains to be seen how much he has left to offer his first team, but we'll find out soon when Patrick O'Bryant finishes out his career with the Golden State Warriors.

-Janny Hu, Jan 30, 2022
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#2 » by turk3d » Sat Feb 2, 2008 11:29 pm

Saying all the right things, so far. Who knows?
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#3 » by FNQ » Sat Feb 2, 2008 11:39 pm

If Hu is still the beat writer in 2022 ... :banghead:
Subaculta
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#4 » by Subaculta » Sun Feb 3, 2008 12:41 am

you're trying to provoke LF aren't you?

thanks for the sig Boogie!
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#5 » by Sid the Squid » Sun Feb 3, 2008 1:03 am

I'd love to see sign with the cavs this summer.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#6 » by floppymoose » Sun Feb 3, 2008 1:14 am

Not trying to provoke anyone. It just hit me that there were some parallels in the two situations. Webber is coming back just as another big man is leaving; one who seems promising but isn't working out with Nellie.
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#7 » by Sid the Squid » Sun Feb 3, 2008 1:21 am

floppymoose wrote:Not trying to provoke anyone. It just hit me that there were some parallels in the two situations. Webber is coming back just as another big man is leaving; one who seems promising but isn't working out with Nellie.
It's going be interesting to find out if Nellie was right about the kid........I don't see it..Even if Patrick never changes his current attitude..I see him as NBA backup C at the very least..If the light bulb ever goes off in his head? Seriously this guy could be a force.

Why not pick up that option?
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#8 » by old rem » Sun Feb 3, 2008 2:35 am

LF75 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It's going be interesting to find out if Nellie was right about the kid........I don't see it..Even if Patrick never changes his current attitude..I see him as NBA backup C at the very least..If the light bulb ever goes off in his head? Seriously this guy could be a force.

Why not pick up that option?

Why not ,indeed. It's a case of a "logic" that's either subliminal,has priorities that have nothing to do with POB,or is simply...not logical.

The freaky part...why decimate his trade value? We could have done the option,gave him some showcase minutes,said a few kind words and traded him..getting first rounder value.

It's now assumed that POB and Pietrus.....2 young recent lotto guys....walk-and we get ZERO back. Join the club guys.

In a year...Murphy-Dunleavy-Foyle-J Rich-Diogu,all former Warrior LOTTO picks,have been shipped out. Biedrins will be the last survivor....unless he's part of the purge. Wright..technically....was a Bob's pick and Belli was non-lotto,so maybe they get immunity.

:rofl2:

Pretty hard to figure the plan out when things get done backwards or seemingly for no reason at all. :dontknow:
CENSORED... No comment.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by FNQ » Sun Feb 3, 2008 2:40 am

Every former lotto pick you mentioned was given game experience to improve at all. I'd say of the 5 you listed, 2 improved over time. Dun and JRich. The rest have sucked and stayed that way for a while.

Good coaches get natural, physical talent like that on the court however possible.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#10 » by floppymoose » Sun Feb 3, 2008 2:59 am

I think Foyle was a bit underrated in his prime. Prime Foyle on a decent team with an offensive PF would have been ok. Like Take last years Clips, and put prime Foyle in place of Kaman, and I think the Clips would have done just as well or better - even though everyone would say Kaman is the better player.

Foyle was drafted too high, but I wouldn't say he didn't improve.
-bob-
RealGM
And1: 41

Post#11 » by -bob- » Sun Feb 3, 2008 3:43 am

Webber was rookie of the year under Nellie, avg 17/9. I see POB following the Przybilla path, good back-up C at best.
GSWbandwagon
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#12 » by GSWbandwagon » Sun Feb 3, 2008 4:42 am

i don't see the webber / cheesecake parallels. as bob said, webber was a force as a rookie. pob struggled to be a force in the dleague as a rookie. webber left getting us a young prospect and 3 future 1st round picks. if/when pob leaves, he'll do so as a free agent getting very small money by nba standards. pob leaving won't have the same destructive effect on the franchise either.

i disagreed with not picking up the option. that was just stupid unless they're convinced they can resign him for even less. but his situation is nothing like webber's.

i don't think murphy was a lotto pick. iirc he was one pick outside the lotto. we got him with indiana's pick.
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#13 » by St.Nick » Sun Feb 3, 2008 10:16 am

If Patrick applies himself, he has the potential to be an excellent cake baker one day.

Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#14 » by Sleepy51 » Sun Feb 3, 2008 6:24 pm

[hypocrisy alert]
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#15 » by St.Nick » Sun Feb 3, 2008 6:53 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:[hypocrisy alert]

Thanks for the warning. Go ahead and be hypocritical now. :lol:
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#16 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Feb 4, 2008 9:21 am

Rem, it's interesting that you mention POB and Pietrus in the same breath... yeah, they were both lotto picks. But Pietrus stuck around four years, and what has it gotten us? An eighth man off the bench, by default? No trade value? Might the Warriors even have been better off by cutting the cord with Pietrus a couple years ago? An open question, to be sure.

I think the Warriors made the right decision by not taking POB's option... either because they can resign him for less, or (more likely) put that three million dollars to better use. Is there anyone, for instance, who wouldn't say Matt Barnes (at ~$3 mil) is of better use to the team than Patrick?

No reason to throw good money after bad.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#17 » by turk3d » Mon Feb 4, 2008 9:56 am

The problem is not that Pietrus has no value, the unfortunate thing for him is that we've always been so deep at the position(s) he plays. This is the first year that he hasn't been behind J-Rich and he holds out (bad luck on his part) and we get the emergence of Monta (and Azebuike at the beginning of the season). The biggest problem for Pietrus is that he is expendable. The aqcuisition of Jack didn't help his cause either.

The guy never really had a chance on the Warriors to log starter minutes and that is why in 4 1/2 years he's never been able to flourish. Miami definitely wanted him this offseason but was unable to make a deal. I don't know whether it was because the Warriors wanted too much or Miami was willing to give up too little. I bet they're sorry they couldn't work something out. I've said it all along and I'll keep saying it, Pietrus is going to turn out to be a solid NBA player some day, unfortunately it just won't be with the Warriors.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#18 » by St.Nick » Mon Feb 4, 2008 10:47 am

Pietrus is a trainwreck. Yes, he is an athletic trainwreck, but he is still a trainwreck, whether it be in GS, Miami, or wherever you want to put him.
mistatwo mayn
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by mistatwo mayn » Mon Feb 4, 2008 5:01 pm

Pietrus will be a solid player (damm did I say that?!?!?!)
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by FNQ » Mon Feb 4, 2008 5:43 pm

mistatwo mayn wrote:Pietrus will be a solid player (damm did I say that?!?!?!)

Some team will pick him up.. there's still plenty of hope for the guy, to be honest. He'd make a good 8th man on a team or so... maybe a change of pace high energy defender.

But not here...

Return to Golden State Warriors