Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Yi Jian Lian
Veteran
And1: 1

OT: Baron Davis on Framed (Full Video) 

Post#1 » by Yi Jian Lian » Sun Feb 3, 2008 6:23 am

If you guys haven't seen it already, here's the link to check it out:
http://explore.yahoo.com/reebokframed/
I wonder where we can watch his documentary about South Central.
zero
Junior
And1: 5

Post#2 » by zero » Sun Feb 3, 2008 7:51 am

the whole thing was one shot. pretty impressive. can't wait till the doc is viewable.
itsagreatimeout
Junior
And1: 18

Post#3 » by itsagreatimeout » Sun Feb 3, 2008 8:26 am

That was boring!
He should have at least tried to dunk it or something. Now that would have been impressive.
It's a great, it's a great time out!
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#4 » by St.Nick » Sun Feb 3, 2008 8:54 am

Kind of a stupid idea for a film. No words, no plot, just Baron rollerskating. It just seems like a wasted opportunity with a guy that is incredibly entertaining. Fortunately, Baron is a cool mofo that can keep you interested for a few minutes just by being himself. But that film seemed like a waste.

The Vince Young-Regina King film is absolutely hilarious.

The Thierry Henry-Paz Vega film is beautiful. I recommend watching this one. He seems like such a cool, grounded guy.
zero
Junior

Post#5 » by zero » Sun Feb 3, 2008 10:03 am

the impressive part was that the whole thing was done in one shot. that's extremely difficult to do. i guess i'm look at it purely from a filmmaker's perspective. but for a short it's not bad.
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#6 » by St.Nick » Sun Feb 3, 2008 10:10 am

It's not that hard to shoot a guy rollerskating for 3 minutes in one take.
zero
Junior

Post#7 » by zero » Sun Feb 3, 2008 10:16 am

i'm a film maker. trust me. i can go off on filmmaking, so don't get me stared here, but from a technical standpoint it is most definitely NOT easy. normal shooting with cuts is difficult enough, but doing it all in one take is a massive pain in the butt. definitely not easy.

the thierry henry is beautifully done though.
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#8 » by St.Nick » Sun Feb 3, 2008 11:02 am

I will defer to you in this case since you have experience and I don't. But honestly, I can't imagine that a guy on roller skates slowly skating around a basketball court would be that hard to film in one take. He wasn't even in the center of the frame for large stretches of it, as well.

BTW have you seen the movie Timecode? That, I believe, was a one take movie for 90 minutes with all improvised acting. Kind of a crappy movie, but fascinating when considering the process.
Reverse-D-Curse
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#9 » by Reverse-D-Curse » Sun Feb 3, 2008 6:08 pm

This film just shows how comfortable BD is in his own skin. Dude is a character.

I'm just glad he didn't injure himself while making this film.

Imagine the headline:

BARON DAVIS tears ACL while rollerskating in daisy dukes: A wedgie is said to be cause of fall.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#10 » by azwfan » Sun Feb 3, 2008 6:32 pm

I'm sure that was difficult to film and may be technically impressive, but the film was boring and pointless.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
zero
Junior

Post#11 » by zero » Sun Feb 3, 2008 10:08 pm

St.Nick wrote:I will defer to you in this case since you have experience and I don't. But honestly, I can't imagine that a guy on roller skates slowly skating around a basketball court would be that hard to film in one take. He wasn't even in the center of the frame for large stretches of it, as well.

BTW have you seen the movie Timecode? That, I believe, was a one take movie for 90 minutes with all improvised acting. Kind of a crappy movie, but fascinating when considering the process.

yeah, i saw TC years ago, but don't remember too much other than how they cut it together. but the best film i can think of that takes place with one shot is alfred hitchock's "rope." it stars jimmy stewart. there's really only one true cut in the entire film. the other "cuts" come when the film reels change.

what makes that - or anything done in one shot - so challenging is that so many things have to go right at the same time. they probably got away with a lot since the natural sound was so low, but there still was sound issue.

as baron moves, so moves the camera and a bunch of crew. every camera move requires at the very least, 4 people controlling that move - a camera op, director of photography, a dolly grip and the the director. if baron does something the camera's not ready for then oops we gotta start again. if any one of the crew messes up... crap "back to 1." the boom gets in the shot and causes any unwanted shadows - a do over. in the trailer they showed some point where they ran out of film during a take. that's a definite do over. if they had cuts they could save it and make it all fit together in the editing room.

there was just one focus pull that looked a little rushed, but if i'd shot that i'd be pleased with it. except for that one pull.

but if you really ever get a chance, and you like hitchcock, you should see rope on DVD. it's phenomenal. and the large cameras they used back then only makes it even more amazing. i'll have to check out timecode again.
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#12 » by St.Nick » Sun Feb 3, 2008 10:17 pm

Thanks for the info. Also, I will try to dl Rope.

I have to admit that I've not seen a Hitchcock movie since "The Birds" when I was a young lad. Old movies are typically not quick moving enough for my minuscule attention span. There was a great Kubrick BW Noir film I saw which I loved called "The Killing", but other than that...meh. I didn't even enjoy Citizen Kane.
nfmos
Veteran
And1: 3,540

Post#13 » by nfmos » Mon Feb 4, 2008 1:23 am

azwfan wrote:I'm sure that was difficult to film and may be technically impressive, but the film was boring and pointless.

+1

One, I think its much more difficult for Baron to continue skating for 3 minutes and each time hoping to make the shot at the end. All the camera guys have to do is make sure they keep shooting and make sure there is film (oops)

And I think this is an example of the concept trumping the actual subject. I would rather them use multiple cuts to show some of Barons more impressive moves and edit out some little hiccups than worry so much about the one shoot.

And whats the point of the one shot idea, if it doesnt connect the idea to Barons personality and background? I think the Henry video was a more revealing portrait.

But whatever...I still love Sloan, lol
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#14 » by Sleepy51 » Mon Feb 4, 2008 5:39 am

That was freakin awesome.

Anyone who doesn't get Baron after that is a complete poon. Dude is hilarious.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?

Return to Golden State Warriors