ImageImageImageImageImage

Warriors please explain the POB situation once and for all!

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#41 » by FNQ » Mon Feb 4, 2008 4:33 am

He has obvious talent... what he doesnt have is the blessing of Nellie..

POB was a Mully pick only. Monty was still officially the coach..

Nellie knows he doesnt have time for a big man like POB, doesnt even know what to do with him really. He seems to have it in for the youngsters as a backlash to the whole Webber ordeal. Ever since him, he's only really buddied up with one rookie (Dirk), one who he had his eye on for a long time.

Even with the young guys who can play... when does Tay get a majority of the 4th Q touches? When does Beans get any, really? Even when Jax and Baron we're clearly struggling, the offense was to be run only through them... one of the long term consequences of the Webber debacle is that Nellie does not want the young kids to believe the team revolves around them...

As for POB personally, he was just a victim of being in the wrong place at the wrong time... he'll make Nellie look foolish later on. Wright on the other hand still has a chance... Nellie could retire?
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#42 » by Sid the Squid » Mon Feb 4, 2008 4:51 am

I got to say Nellie's great with small forwards down to point gaurds..Monta's improvement under Nellie has been a joy to follow...Belinelli has a chance to make it big because of Nellie's coaching...Baron is a far better player now than he was 15 months ago...Jackson has sharply improved after one quick talk with Nellie...Nellie is a wizard when it comes to coaching 6'8 and below players.

Marques Johnson
Paul Pressey
Sidney Moncrief
Ricky Pierce
Chris Mullin
Mitch Richmond
Tim Hardaway
Latrell Sprewell
Steve Nash
Monta Ellis
Stephan Jackson

Who am I missing?
warrioratbirth
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#43 » by warrioratbirth » Mon Feb 4, 2008 5:01 am

Michael Finley maybe?
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,720

Post#44 » by floppymoose » Mon Feb 4, 2008 5:05 am

Jason Terry
mistatwo mayn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#45 » by mistatwo mayn » Mon Feb 4, 2008 5:18 am

howard
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#46 » by Sid the Squid » Mon Feb 4, 2008 5:28 am

Hot damn!! :o
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,656

Post#47 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Feb 4, 2008 6:48 am

Nellie has changed since he coached the Bucks. He used to play his bench a lot more. Randy Breuer, Paul Mokeski, Pat Cummings, and Harvey Catchings got significant minutes from Nelson even in the playoffs. I don't know if the current Don Nelson would play those guys even if he had them.

Pat (not Terry) Cummings, and Randy Breuer played for Nelson as rookies in the Playoffs and I don't think they were as Talented as POB. Alton Lister Played 20 minutes a game in the playoffs as a rookie for Don Nelson. Alton Lister was very talented but he made so many stupid plays. POB looks like he understands the game and defensive rotations better than young Alton Lister did. It was a long time ago, so maybe I am not remembering those guys correctly.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,074

Post#48 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Feb 4, 2008 8:32 am

I don't understand what it is some of you guys see in Patrick O'Bryant. In answer to Nick's similar question, I have to think it's because people don't like "small ball," and see a seven footer on the bench as some adequate response to the small ball "problem."

Personally, I think Nellie would love to run more bigs out there (and we may see that soon... say, a lineup of Baron, Jackson, Harrington, Webber, and Biedrins). But the problem is finding bigs who can actually play - they're a rare breed.

Patrick LOOKS good in a uni because he's long, lean, and athletic (for a seven footer). He has a nice jump shot, is a decent free thrower, has a pretty hook shot... but otherwise, is very uncoordinated for a basketball player (witness his traveling on a 4' drive), and subpar on defense. Yeah he can block your shot if you try to shoot it right in his face... but he otherwise looks lost out there and out of position.

It takes more to merit time on an NBA court that being seven feet tall and able to shoot a nice jumper... especially on a .600 team battling for playoff position.
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#49 » by St.Nick » Mon Feb 4, 2008 9:01 am

LF75 wrote:I got to say Nellie's great with small forwards down to point gaurds..Monta's improvement under Nellie has been a joy to follow...Belinelli has a chance to make it big because of Nellie's coaching...Baron is a far better player now than he was 15 months ago...Jackson has sharply improved after one quick talk with Nellie...Nellie is a wizard when it comes to coaching 6'8 and below players.

Marques Johnson
Paul Pressey
Sidney Moncrief
Ricky Pierce
Chris Mullin
Mitch Richmond
Tim Hardaway
Latrell Sprewell
Steve Nash
Monta Ellis
Stephan Jackson

Who am I missing?

Dirk...wait...d'oh! He's too tall.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#50 » by turk3d » Mon Feb 4, 2008 9:49 am

jrhester wrote:I don't understand what it is some of you guys see in Patrick O'Bryant. In answer to Nick's similar question, I have to think it's because people don't like "small ball," and see a seven footer on the bench as some adequate response to the small ball "problem."

Personally, I think Nellie would love to run more bigs out there (and we may see that soon... say, a lineup of Baron, Jackson, Harrington, Webber, and Biedrins). But the problem is finding bigs who can actually play - they're a rare breed.

Patrick LOOKS good in a uni because he's long, lean, and athletic (for a seven footer). He has a nice jump shot, is a decent free thrower, has a pretty hook shot... but otherwise, is very uncoordinated for a basketball player (witness his traveling on a 4' drive), and subpar on defense. Yeah he can block your shot if you try to shoot it right in his face... but he otherwise looks lost out there and out of position.

It takes more to merit time on an NBA court that being seven feet tall and able to shoot a nice jumper... especially on a .600 team battling for playoff position.

Mbenga? C'mon JR, and he can't even shoot a jumper.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#51 » by St.Nick » Mon Feb 4, 2008 10:44 am

turk3d wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Mbenga? C'mon JR, and he can't even shoot a jumper.

This is a testament to how horrible POB is. Would Nellie really want to screw our team so badly as to have to seek out players like Mbenga and Croshere (who actually I kind of like, but still) or a 35 year old Chris Webber? Of course he'd rather play a bad ass, young, stud center who we've got on the cheap.

The problem is...POB is (Please Use More Appropriate Word).

It's no blood vendetta by Nellie (who wants to win more than anyone on our team), its a problem with POB being unable to fulfill the basics towards being a rotation center for the Warriors...ie, grab rebounds, stay in good defensive position, play tough, play smart.

Perhaps we should have held onto POB for a few more years to see if he could pan out, but if Mully and Nellie--who have about 70 years of NBA experience between them-- decided that the kid is not close to where he needs to be, then its probably true.

I know its all exciting to speculate about the unknown and assume that POB is some hidden gem that will make all of our dreams come true, but the most sane thing to do would be to believe that he's glued to the bench for a good reason. Time to get serious about him and about every other young, raw player that cycles through the NBA--making the imaginations of fans run wild, but ultimately crapping out due to not having "the right stuff."
turk3d
RealGM

Post#52 » by turk3d » Mon Feb 4, 2008 3:38 pm

Sometimes it might just be "not having the right stuff" for a particular coach. POB apparently had the right stuff for Mullin and Monty (who I'm sure Mullin had discussed POB with before making the decision to draft him). At the time, I'm sure the consensus was that the Warriors needed a big man which is why he was chosen (you don't see Seattle trying to dump Sene who is a lot worse than POB trying to dump him do you?).

POB just had the misfortune to get a replacement coach who completely change the entire team philosophy. This was no fault of POB. It's not a matter of "liking" or disliking small ball, it's having underutilization of players who the team has large investments in. If you want to tell me we have to take the "good" with the "bad" as far as Nellie concerned, I'm in total agreement (no different from "good" verse "bad Baron"), but to say that POB "sucks" just because Nellie doesn't play him when all the evidence shows otherwise, that I won't be convinced of.

All his years of experience and basketball knowledge really do not tell the story, all coaches have their own personal predujices, whatever they might be. This does not take away from the fact that POB has talent. What really "sucks" to me regarding the whole situation is that 1) POB can really help this team in terms of depth and help rebounding which is our greatest weakness and 2) a decent young man is getting screwed because of very little fault of his own.

I'd like someone to give me one "fact" of anything he's done to deserve this kind of treatment. Everything that I've heard is pure speculation:

a) he must suck because Nellie doesn't play him
truth - He doesn't play because Nellie prefers to play small.

b) he has a bad attitude
truth - he has a great attitude, always cheering his team on, never seen him complain.

c) he's out of shape
truth - maybe last year, he was hurt during pre-season. He worked out with Baron over the summer, and came into camp in excellent shape.

d) he doesn't hustle
truth - he hustles on the boards, dives for loose balls, is very active and constantly moving (unlike Bellinelli at times, who I've seen just standing around at times).

e) He makes dumb mistakes.
truth - He's 20 years old, all young players make mistakes from time to time, especially when they get such few minutes of playing time.You want to see mistakes? Look at Petey, usually 2 or 3 big ones per game. Everyone makes mistakes. Why does he get to play? You could say it's because he's a vet, but it's also because he's not a 7 footer. Mistakes are to be expected with any first or second year player especially one who rarely sees the floor.

I'm sure you have a few more reasons, but all of them can be responded to as well. The bottom line is that we won't really be able to know one way or another whether POB is a player or not until he goes somewhere else but what WE DO KNOW is that he absolutely will never get a chance while he's on the Warriors. That's the only thing which we can be certain of regarding POB.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#53 » by Mylie10 » Mon Feb 4, 2008 3:49 pm

I'm convinced that JR and St. Nick don't have access to actual games.

They might pick one up here and there, but overall, they're basing their takes on POB strictly from the Nellie dissing.

It's not the looks good in a uni at all. It's called being destroyed inside on a regular basis and having a guy who earned the back-up role this pre-season and then poof! nothing.

What happened? There just hasn't been an adequate response from management or any investigative journalism from the local media.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
shucknjive
Starter
And1: 3

Post#54 » by shucknjive » Mon Feb 4, 2008 3:56 pm

jrhester and St.Nick=Joy Nelson
thanks dude, ...i knew well what a crap of a man is "holly"
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#55 » by St.Nick » Mon Feb 4, 2008 4:22 pm

Mylie10 wrote:I'm convinced that JR and St. Nick don't have access to actual games.

They might pick one up here and there, but overall, they're basing their takes on POB strictly from the Nellie dissing.

It's not the looks good in a uni at all. It's called being destroyed inside on a regular basis and having a guy who earned the back-up role this pre-season and then poof! nothing.

What happened? There just hasn't been an adequate response from management or any investigative journalism from the local media.

What do you think happened Mylie? If you can provide a better theory as to why POB can't see the floor than my theory that he sucks, then come out with it. If you are just going to ask questions and not provide answers then you really shouldn't criticize.

BTW, you don't really expect the front office to come out and talk about why they don't believe in POB with the media, do you? You need to read between the lines a bit when Nellie, Smart, or Mully talks about him. From what I've gathered, they think he's (Please Use More Appropriate Word).
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#56 » by St.Nick » Mon Feb 4, 2008 4:30 pm

Ok, Turk. I can accept that the book has not yet been written on how POB can turn out.

A lot of what I write is more in response to what some of the jokers on the board write about how wonderful POB is and how his decidedly fantastic NBA career is being derailed by a stupid old man with vengeance in his heart for anyone over 6'8. So take any extreme opinion that I have with a grain of salt. I'm just trying to keep things balanced on here.

BTW: that draft two years ago is turning out to be one of the worst in modern history, so the fact that Mully did not do his homework to find the best player for us doesn't bode well for POB's reputation as a "former #9 pick." That I've said from day one.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#57 » by FNQ » Mon Feb 4, 2008 5:41 pm

Mylie10 wrote:I'm convinced that JR and St. Nick don't have access to actual games.

I'm with ya.. POB obviously has talent and the people here have no idea how to bring it out...

Another lottery pick down the tubes... Our picks are becoming literally lottery picks... we just hold on to the ticket and hope its a homerun then throw it on the ground when its not the million dollar winner...
mistatwo mayn
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by mistatwo mayn » Mon Feb 4, 2008 5:49 pm

Well... love him or leave him... if he's active and Kosta is not someone is getting screwed.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,302

Post#59 » by Sleepy51 » Mon Feb 4, 2008 6:07 pm

mistatwo mayn wrote:Well... love him or leave him... if he's active and Kosta is not someone is getting screwed.

I think this is what drives people nuts. There are some obvious inconsistencies in how he's been/being handled. The contract situation basically amounts to being cut (what would your work look like if your employer gave you 8 months notice?) But then they keep him active over another similar player with a longer deal? that's kind of weird.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
turk3d
RealGM

Post#60 » by turk3d » Mon Feb 4, 2008 6:16 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I think this is what drives people nuts. There are some obvious inconsistencies in how he's been/being handled. The contract situation basically amounts to being cut (what would your work look like if your employer gave you 8 months notice?) But then they keep him active over another similar player with a longer deal? that's kind of weird.

Who knows, maybe there's even a little guilt there. :blank:

Return to Golden State Warriors