ImageImageImageImageImage

Warriors please explain the POB situation once and for all!

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#61 » by FNQ » Mon Feb 4, 2008 6:19 pm

What really fries me is that if we dont sign Kosta, couldnt that money be free to sign our lottery pick big man?

We must be the only franchise that lets our talent-filled lottery pick C walk so we can ink our 7' stiff from across the world, a mild success in Euroball...

Have to laugh when people think our FO has it together at all.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#62 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Feb 4, 2008 11:11 pm

If the Warriors won't sign or play POB then they should trade him to Minnesota for conditional second round pick that the Warriors only get if Minnesota resigns POB this summer. POB can go wherever he wants this summer, but he is from Minnesota and Minnesota does not have a Center unless you call Jefferson a Center.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#63 » by Sleepy51 » Mon Feb 4, 2008 11:26 pm

510Reggae wrote:What really fries me is that if we dont sign Kosta, couldnt that money be free to sign our lottery pick big man?

We must be the only franchise that lets our talent-filled lottery pick C walk so we can ink our 7' stiff from across the world, a mild success in Euroball...

Have to laugh when people think our FO has it together at all.

That would piss me off.

If Cohan told Mullin "Fine, I'll pay your Eurostiff but I'll only pay one project backup center above league minimum, so get rid of the other guy" and that's why Obee is being renounced then a couple of snatch kicks are deserved. One for Cohan for being cheap, and one for Mullin giving the wrong guy the dough.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#64 » by Mylie10 » Tue Feb 5, 2008 1:07 am

I like how me wanting them to explain the demotion in a clear way is some how above and beyond asking of the guys who make the decisions.

Yes I can read between the lines, but saying he's (Please Use More Appropriate Word) is not either true or helpful as to why.

There's a good stroy there for a situation that's been fumbled.

Even if he turns out to be Kostarded, then why drive down his value? Why is he worthy of being picked in the top ten, but has zero value here?

The answer if I read between the lines is, "I don't have time to groom any rookies. I'm outta here any minute you dumb bastards!"

But is that responsible from our FO (as Reggae would say)?

Get value if you're not gonna keep him.

Play him to actually see if there's a future. Nellie has fallen for guys he previously had a hard time playing in the past. Big Vic would drive him nuts, but he also got something out of him.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy that Benga's better than him.

I've seen with my own two eyes that he has potential. If Nellie won't play him, then increase his value and trade him for something we can use.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by FNQ » Tue Feb 5, 2008 2:20 am

Sorry Mylie, you are just a fan and even though you have proven yourself to know what you are talking about...

Mbenga > POB.

Mbenga was just more ready.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#66 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Feb 5, 2008 3:07 am

Mbenga was no savior, but at least he brought size, strength, defense, and hustle. Phil Jackson has brought Mbenga in for two 10-day stints so far (where he's averaging a little more MPG than he did in GS). But I guess Phil doesn't know how to properly evaluate talent, either - Maybe 510 and Mylie can get together and give him some pointers.

One big reason I think Patrick is on the outs, in fact, is he was supposed to be an advanced DEFENSIVE player. And he's just not. Like it or not, Mbenga is a better defender.

Of course nothing is going to resolve this until (if) Patrick earns a chance somewhere else for a year or two.

I don't see many people here hyping Ike Diogu anymore. But you know who you are... a lot of the same guys blaming others for Patrick's lack of success now. I'm looking forward to seeing how the saga of POB plays out, but I have a feeling you're all going to be quiet, or have selective memory, when that comes about... just like you've been with Ike.

Mylie, there's no "story" regarding Patrick's play, playing time, or development - that's why the media don't ask about it. Most people don't care about the guy, because they've seen him on the court, and on the very end of the bench. If you really think there's some hidden agenda there, take it up as your cause - not by railing on it here, but by calling in to ask Tom Tolbert, or have Tom ask Nellie, or have Adam Lauridsen or a reporter ask for you, or even try to get Patrick to speak on it himself.

PS For whoever was asking, I've watched probably 75% of the Warriors games since 1989.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#67 » by Sleepy51 » Tue Feb 5, 2008 3:11 am

jrhester wrote:PS For whoever was asking, I've watched probably 75% of the Warriors games since 1989.

75%?

you pu :censored: y
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#68 » by FNQ » Tue Feb 5, 2008 3:27 am

jrhester wrote:Mbenga was no savior, but at least he brought size, strength, defense, and hustle. Phil Jackson has brought Mbenga in for two 10-day stints so far (where he's averaging a little more MPG than he did in GS). But I guess Phil doesn't know how to properly evaluate talent, either - Maybe 510 and Mylie can get together and give him some pointers.

:rofl:

Yeah... signing a player off the wire and then playing them just makes a -tad- more sense when your starting C is out for the rest of the regular season.

I'm just going out on a limb here though. I'm no NBA coach..
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#69 » by Mylie10 » Tue Feb 5, 2008 3:51 am

Benga's a man, Obee's a kid There's your only difference.

Benga was agressive, I liked that in him. Beyond that he is/was a trainwreck. Bull in the China shop.

That in no way means he's more talented.

My so-called railing is for those who choose to respond. you don't have to and you probably shouldn't. We all know you hate him. We all know Nellie can do no wrong in your eyes.

I very much like/ love Nellie and feel fortunate that he's back and we're winning. but many of his moves deserve to be analyzed. We as fans have the right to question things we see as inconsistant, or downright wrong.

Picking a kid 9th, bringing down his value, dangle a carrot, pull the football away before he can kick it, give him some pitty time he does well, then resign a bum the day after to take any crumbs he might get, put him in for 1 minute of a crunch game, Watch him play well in Milwaukee, then forget about him.

Not a very consistant way to go about breeding success in your young players.

Every guy is not the same in the league. Some need different coaching. You don't handle everyone the same.

But I understand. Nellie has no time for youngsters who can play but might need coaching. His window is closing.

Why is it such a problem to want to hear the motivations behind the questionable moves?

And JR and St Nick, we've heard your tired responses. you've given nothing but the he can't play card. Thanks.

Alot of us have seen him play. I'm not sure what you see when you watch a game?
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#70 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Feb 5, 2008 4:06 am

Well, I definitely don't hate Patrick, and I would way rather have him explode in the 2nd half than prove any point, because that would help the Warriors win.

What have I seen in Patrick's play? A couple of nice shots and blocks here and there, and a fair amount of uncoordination, poor team defense, and mental lapses. And when I add that to public statements from Nellie, Keith Smart, and Patrick himself... well Patrick's play is going to have to do a lot of speaking to overcome that.

But I like that you're putting the issue on Patrick's play on the court at the center with your question above, because that's something we can all have access to, whereas talking about hidden agendas and conspiracy theories... by their very nature I don't think we'll ever come to a resolution on those questions, which I believe to be absurd.

edit: oops, I guess you changed your mind about asking us what we've seen in Patrick's play on the court to believe what we believe about his game. So a lot of my answer above is now moot. But I'm disappointed that you decided to take the question off of his actual play on the court.
St.Nick
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#71 » by St.Nick » Tue Feb 5, 2008 7:15 am

If Nellie really does believe that rookies are worthless and wants to sacrifice our future to win now, then why did he consent to the J-Rich for Brandan Wright deal?

That's a tough one to explain, no?
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#72 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Tue Feb 5, 2008 7:24 am

St.Nick wrote:If Nellie really does believe that rookies are worthless and wants to sacrifice our future to win now, then why did he consent to the J-Rich for Brandan Wright deal?

That's a tough one to explain, no?

Maybe it was part of trying to acquire K Garnett. Maybe Cohan told Mullin that he had to dump some salary.
magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,400

Post#73 » by magee » Tue Feb 5, 2008 8:00 am

The first time O'Bryant was worked out by Golden State was by Chris Mullin and Mitch Richmond in New Jersey before the draft.

The kid is young. He's a small town kid from Minnesota. There are a lot of personalities on this team. Big men usually don't rbeak out untilt hey're 24-26. The Warriors, although they should, can't wait that long and won't publically recognize it. O'Bryant needs playing time. If he isn't traded, look for him to sign with Minnesota, play on their Summer league team and make their roster. He needs playing time. He won't get it in Golden State. Simle as that.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by FNQ » Tue Feb 5, 2008 9:14 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Maybe it was part of trying to acquire K Garnett. Maybe Cohan told Mullin that he had to dump some salary.

Of course it was a salary dump... that's all it was. Wright was the BPA... you think we really targeted him? If we did we would have traded up to a#5 or so... no one in their right mind thought Brandan was going lower than that.

We wanted Yi... that was Nellie's plan. We didn't get him, we took who Mullin wanted, and we're going to sit on him, unless he busts out and just takes PT away from whatever SF we're playing at PF.

Nellie wanting a mostly inside big man? Get real... when Yi was taken by MIL it sent shockwaves through our war room... This smokescreen crap is just an excuse.
St.Nick
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#75 » by St.Nick » Tue Feb 5, 2008 10:05 am

Wright was the BPA... you think we really targeted him? If we did we would have traded up to a#5 or so... no one in their right mind thought Brandan was going lower than that.

We wanted Yi... that was Nellie's plan. We didn't get him, we took who Mullin wanted, and we're going to sit on him, unless he busts out and just takes PT away from whatever SF we're playing at PF.

Nellie wanting a mostly inside big man? Get real... when Yi was taken by MIL it sent shockwaves through our war room... This smokescreen crap is just an excuse.

Wow! What a scoop! Where'd you get this info on what was going on in the war room?

Return to Golden State Warriors