ImageImageImage

OT: 11 Yr Old Bsktball Star in Making- He's amazing (video)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Barry Lird
Junior
And1: 0

OT: 11 Yr Old Bsktball Star in Making- He's amazing (video) 

Post#1 » by Barry Lird » Sat Feb 9, 2008 2:12 pm

Unreal basketball skills for his age. Check this out:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=869_1201052822
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#2 » by canman1971 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 2:30 pm

The title is a little misleading, so I'll change it. Pretty neat. Kid could be good, but I hate seeing little kids get exploited at such a young age. Let him be eleven.
P2
Banned User

Post#3 » by P2 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 2:43 pm

Yeah, we've seen that video about a 100 times.
Barry Lird
Junior

Post#4 » by Barry Lird » Sat Feb 9, 2008 3:11 pm

Well, in that case, move along, folks. Nothing for you to see or comment about here.

It was a first for me though, and very impressive.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,876

Post#5 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat Feb 9, 2008 3:26 pm

First time for me too. Thanks for posting.
BrokenLeftyJumper
Pro Prospect

Post#6 » by BrokenLeftyJumper » Sat Feb 9, 2008 3:35 pm

C's need to start trading for those 2014 first rounders so they can scoop this kid up. Forget Rondo, we need Jaysaun Agosto.
GoGoCeltics
Pro Prospect
And1: 52

Post#7 » by GoGoCeltics » Sat Feb 9, 2008 4:12 pm

First time for me. That kid is amazing.

It would be a terrible shame if he turned out to not grow tall enough to play competitively, but I don't think that would be a problem.
jjwalker
Junior

Post#8 » by jjwalker » Sat Feb 9, 2008 4:48 pm

the kid better hope he grows a lot. he looks tiny for his age.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,741

Post#9 » by meatball sub » Sat Feb 9, 2008 5:26 pm

That kid is going to be a very good player if he does the following:

1. Doesn't get injured
2. Continues to stay motivated and love basketball and work at it.
3. Stays away from drugs.

As long as he doesn't settle for being the best NOW and wants to be the best LATER this kid has some real potential. Forget small, look at that work ethic! He's eleven and does those drills three years before a coach would expect a normal freshman in high school to do them. Not only that but does them at a very high level.

Wait until this kid actually grows to even a normal 5'7 or so and not to an NBA height, he could be like sophomore Nic Weis at Arizona. Nic is 5'7 but isn't extremely athletic, he's quick and skilled. He's got great skills with the basketball and around the rim on the drive/break. You can still be a top player for your age group in middle school and just never grow taller and become a star.

We don't know how tall he will be, which is why I stated the above but if he does grow to normal NBA PG height it will be interesting.
sittinOnGreen
Freshman

Post#10 » by sittinOnGreen » Sat Feb 9, 2008 5:32 pm

thats extremely impressive.. with that said, if you work on your game for 4 hours a day when you were 11 years old, you damn well better be outstanding.
ICanOutreboundWalter
Rookie

Post#11 » by ICanOutreboundWalter » Sat Feb 9, 2008 5:35 pm

I bet that kid owns on 11 year olds, but apparently I'm the only one here who watches that and doesn't think, wow this kid is going to make it.

I mean he might make it, but I think its a lot more likely he doesn't even play D1 ball...
stretch
Analyst
And1: 223

Post#12 » by stretch » Sat Feb 9, 2008 6:14 pm

no doubt he's unbelievable. unprecedented skills for his age

but we've seen players stand out before around the ages of 14-18. The list is HUGE. Telfair stood out in high school. There was that guy who scored 100 points that never made it big in the league. OJ Mayo has great skills...

none of that translates. What made KG so good out of high school was his defensive and passing skills. Already, those were his two biggest skills.

I don't know why we find ball handling and scoring skills that impressive. This kid shouldn't be looking to become AI. He should be looking to become Chris Paul.

Move past the Jordan/Kobe era. We need more Larry Birds and Magic Johnsons who play real basketball.
toecutter
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#13 » by toecutter » Sat Feb 9, 2008 6:18 pm

Ho hum.

At that age, I used to attend summer basketball camp at Umass, and I saw bigger and better 11-yr old basketball players that weren't nearly as hyped as Jashaun. I thought the ball-handling stuff in the video wasn't very impressive, even for 11 years old.

The best part of the vid. is the end, when the reporter talks about his freakish endurance and 4:51 mile. That's actually extraordinary. If it's indeed true, the kid is practicing the wrong sport.
BrokenLeftyJumper
Pro Prospect

Post#14 » by BrokenLeftyJumper » Sat Feb 9, 2008 7:05 pm

I mean he might make it, but I think its a lot more likely he doesn't even play D1 ball...

If the kid keeps working hard, that kids gonna play D1 doesn't matter if he doesn't grow past 5'8.

Ho hum.

At that age, I used to attend summer basketball camp at Umass, and I saw bigger and better 11-yr old basketball players that weren't nearly as hyped as Jashaun. I thought the ball-handling stuff in the video wasn't very impressive, even for 11 years old.

Come on. Thats just kinda stupid to say. You saying you played with better 11-yr olds based on one set of video clips. You have no idea how good the kid really is. He might actually not be good or he might be great, its just kinda silly to say you played with better players at 11 based on one set of video clips (not to mention, clips where the kid never misses, shows off some ridiculous handles, and reveals that he's a world class athlete).

Seriously, I know we all like to think those cats we balled with back when we were young were really nasty. But thats cuz the memory is from the mind of an 11 year old. No matter what age you are now, you have to admit that kid has some nasty skills.

And how bout his name? Jaysuan Agostino? That just sounds like NBA.
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#15 » by rsavaj » Sat Feb 9, 2008 7:29 pm

Wow....what a beast.
John Locke
Sixth Man
And1: 38

Post#16 » by John Locke » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:59 am

toecutter wrote:Ho hum.

The best part of the vid. is the end, when the reporter talks about his freakish endurance and 4:51 mile. That's actually extraordinary. If it's indeed true, the kid is practicing the wrong sport.

I'm coaching 10 and 11 year olds. I've been in coaching conferences in Europe and seen a lot of guys play. This kid is very, very talented. And this ball handling stuff is impressive.

But that is just so far from being enough. One on one skills mean nothing.

That's why I find guys like Derrick Rose so good. He is a 5 on 5 player with all the tools.

This kid needs to learn to play defense.

But what's up with playing on such big baskets with regular balls for so young kids? In Europe we have lower baskets and smaller balls for these kids to play with.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#17 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:29 am

I can school this kid in a game of 1 on 1.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#18 » by campybatman » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:56 am

He reminds me of Riley Freeman from The Boondocks.
toecutter
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#19 » by toecutter » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:39 pm

BrokenLeftyJumper wrote:

If the kid keeps working hard, that kids gonna play D1 doesn't matter if he doesn't grow past 5'8.

Ho hum.

Come on. Thats just kinda stupid to say. You saying you played with better 11-yr olds based on one set of video clips. You have no idea how good the kid really is. He might actually not be good or he might be great, its just kinda silly to say you played with better players at 11 based on one set of video clips (not to mention, clips where the kid never misses, shows off some ridiculous handles, and reveals that he's a world class athlete).

Seriously, I know we all like to think those cats we balled with back when we were young were really nasty. But thats cuz the memory is from the mind of an 11 year old. No matter what age you are now, you have to admit that kid has some nasty skills.

And how bout his name? Jaysuan Agostino? That just sounds like NBA.

One video? Come on now. There are tons of videos of this kid on youtube (and his name is Jashaun Agosto, by the way.) Sorry if this is the first time you've heard of him or seen him, but don't project your ignorance on me.

Jashaun's parents have uploaded tons of heavily edited game clips on youtube and they've created a myspace to showcase him as well. The hype is unprecedented and hints of desperation. Read the profile on him and have a chuckle at the reassuring statements that Jashaun's father is 6' 2 and that, surely, Jashaun will grow to this height as well.

Sorry, count me slightly impressed, but not bowled over. Speed dribbling and two-hand drills are old hat. Maybe in Europe, individual skills are less regarded and less premium is placed on them, but I can walk onto any YMCA court or park and find a similarly-aged player to reproduce the tricks in the OP's video link.
Albanian Damien
Starter
And1: 639

Post#20 » by Albanian Damien » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:20 pm

I'm not gonna say hes is NBA bound because:
1. There are plenty of GREAT ball handlers not in the NBA
2. I have no idea how well he can shoot/finish. We just saw highlights, everyone looks like a star shooter in their highlights.

With that said though this kid has made a terrific start. If he continues practicing the way he is and continues putting the effort in he has a good chance of making it.
My Starting 5:

PG: Allen Iverson
SG: Paul Pierce
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Patrick Ewing

Return to Boston Celtics