Purdue the favorite to win the Big 10??

Moderator: bwgood77

nymets1
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,427
And1: 666
Joined: Apr 18, 2004
Location: Florida
     

Purdue the favorite to win the Big 10?? 

Post#1 » by nymets1 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:56 pm

Purdue is on top of the Big 10 Conference with a record of 19-5(10-1 Conference).Purdue has beaten Louisville,Ohio State, Iowa(twice), Illinois(twice) and Wow Wisconsin twice.

Standings

TEAM CONF GB OVR
Purdue 10-1 - 19-5
Indiana #13 8-1 1 19-3
Wisconsin #8 9-2 1 19-4
Michigan State #10 8-2 1
Griff83
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,828
And1: 184
Joined: Dec 10, 2006

 

Post#2 » by Griff83 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:21 pm

id put Purdue ahead of both Wisconsin and Indiana as being the best team. They play with a incredible amount of energy and also play great defence and those things are invaluble come tournament time.

just goes to show how weak the big ten in this year.
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
Posts: 45,672
And1: 12,660
Joined: May 12, 2006
Location: Planet Earth. With more questions than answers.
     

 

Post#3 » by Polynice4Pippen » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:58 pm

I love Purdue and told anyone who would listen that they would be a major factor this year in the Big Ten even with all their youth. But they're 40th in the RPI and have a strength of schedule of 105. Also they lost at home to Wofford. And while they have beaten Wisconsin twice this year (and hopefully will be rewarded by winning the Big Ten regular season title) the Badgers have still had an overall slightly more impressive season in total. Their win at Texas without Hughes was more impressive than Purdue beating Louisville in Indianapolis. But the Boilers are playing their way up to a 5 or 4 seed and possibly a 3 if they go on and win the Big 10 and do well in the conference tourny.
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:
-G-
Analyst
Posts: 3,576
And1: 2,113
Joined: Jan 30, 2007

 

Post#4 » by -G- » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:23 am

Missouri Valley Conference>Big 10
User avatar
randomhero423
Head Coach
Posts: 7,013
And1: 1
Joined: Jul 09, 2006
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Contact:

 

Post#5 » by randomhero423 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:11 am

once gordon is 100% $amp$on'$s indiana will win.
My High School Basketball Articles:
www.nyhoops.com

My Sports Blog
myrandomsportsblog.blogspot.com
Griff83
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,828
And1: 184
Joined: Dec 10, 2006

 

Post#6 » by Griff83 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:25 am

randomhero423 wrote:once gordon is 100% $amp$on'$s indiana will win.


what a overrated team.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 26,824
And1: 3,251
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

 

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:18 pm

Well, this upcoming week will really tell the tale on IU. Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Purdue all in the next 7 days, and this after playing Ohio State yesterday.

The losses were to three teams, the worst of which was UConn who already has 18 wins (Xavier - 20 wins, Wisconsin - 19 wins).

Their wins have so far been against down teams like Southern Illinois, Kentucky, and the entire Big 10 not named Purdue and Michigan State (who they haven't played yet), nor Wisconsin (who they lost to at Wisconsin).


They've won a couple games that have generally been tough for IU to win recently including at Minnesota and at Ohio State. We just don't really know who IU is yet.
Griff83
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,828
And1: 184
Joined: Dec 10, 2006

 

Post#8 » by Griff83 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:57 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Well, this upcoming week will really tell the tale on IU. Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Purdue all in the next 7 days, and this after playing Ohio State yesterday.

The losses were to three teams, the worst of which was UConn who already has 18 wins (Xavier - 20 wins, Wisconsin - 19 wins).

Their wins have so far been against down teams like Southern Illinois, Kentucky, and the entire Big 10 not named Purdue and Michigan State (who they haven't played yet), nor Wisconsin (who they lost to at Wisconsin).


They've won a couple games that have generally been tough for IU to win recently including at Minnesota and at Ohio State. We just don't really know who IU is yet.


Ive watched 4 games of this team this season. First game was against Uconn where they got handled bigtime on there home court in the biggest games of the year. Next I saw them match up against Wisconsin and it was a blowout in the second half where the Badgers where up by almost 20 for most of that half and a late push by Indiana made the score look at least respectable. 3rd game was against a horrible team in Illinois but who play very well on there home court at times. Honestly Illinois more or less threw that game away with Pruitts huge free throws missed in both regulation time and in overtime where all he had to do was make 1 of 2 and Illionois would have won that game. Not to mention both Chester Frazier and Brian Randle didnt play any of the overtime it was hardly what Id call a decent win.

There game against OSU was the best ive seen them play but what was more alarming was how bad ohio state played and really how mediocre of a team they are. OSU has almost no athletcism and when Butler isnt making his shots or putting up big scoring numbers this team can be downright awful. To me Indiana has done nothing to deserve that #13 ranking and if they were in a tougher conference like the Big East or Pac 10 they would be a #4-#5 ranked team inside there own conference or even lower.

I think Indiana is a prime team to pick for a first or second round loss.
Pacersin2007
Sophomore
Posts: 235
And1: 0
Joined: Apr 22, 2006

 

Post#9 » by Pacersin2007 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:10 pm

Okay, you asked for it bud.

Pac 10? How is that working? UCLA goes down against Washington... ouch. ALL of IU's losses are against teams ranked in the top 20 or at the worst top 25. Washington? Seriously?

Just because you've happened to see 2 of IU's terrible games (which every team has at some time) and a good win in the most hostile environment in college basketball this year (yes, above UNC-Duke) and a good win on the road against a good OSU team.

OSU didn't play well? Last I checked, KK went for 18 and 9. For a freshman big against DJ White I'd say that's good.

Since when is a win by less than 10 points a "bad win?". No matter who you are playing, a win is a win, nothing more and nothing less. North Carolina mightily struggles against Clemson (2 times, I believe) and as well I believe Florida State over the weekend. Oh yeah, Duke ran them out of the gym.

Don't mess with fire, your gonna get burned.
Griff83
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,828
And1: 184
Joined: Dec 10, 2006

 

Post#10 » by Griff83 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:33 pm

Pacersin2007 wrote:Okay, you asked for it bud.

Pac 10? How is that working? UCLA goes down against Washington... ouch. ALL of IU's losses are against teams ranked in the top 20 or at the worst top 25. Washington? Seriously?

Just because you've happened to see 2 of IU's terrible games (which every team has at some time) and a good win in the most hostile environment in college basketball this year (yes, above UNC-Duke) and a good win on the road against a good OSU team.

OSU didn't play well? Last I checked, KK went for 18 and 9. For a freshman big against DJ White I'd say that's good.

Since when is a win by less than 10 points a "bad win?". No matter who you are playing, a win is a win, nothing more and nothing less. North Carolina mightily struggles against Clemson (2 times, I believe) and as well I believe Florida State over the weekend. Oh yeah, Duke ran them out of the gym.

Don't mess with fire, your gonna get burned.


So one lower ranked team beat the best team in the conference, how is that any different from Penn state beating MSU in penn state. Washington is also a tougher place to play then in Penn state(at least washington is a team over .500). Pac 10 is a much much better coference then the big ten this season and all the prognosticators agree. Who cares if all there lose's are only against top 25 ranked teams when the fact of the matter is that the only good teams youve played all year where (Xavier, Wisconsin, UConn). Sorry I dont consider which was a terrible kentucky team at the time a good win nor do I consider beating up on teams like G tech, Minnesota, Iowa and Michigan impressive wins.

Ya Champaigne is a tough place to play but you can thank Shaun Pruitt more for giving you that game seeing he could have put the game away twice not only in regulation but overtime. Illinois also missed 2 of there betters players for the last 15 minutes of the game in chester frazier and brian randall. That Illinois team is terrible this season and going into that enviroment and getting a win is becoming a normal thing for visiting teams where it use to hardly ever happen. Sorry but Duke is easily a more hostile enviroment then Illinois's.

OSU is really not that good and they havent beaten anyone significant besides Florida. Koufus played well sure but does one players performance dictate how well the entire team played?. Why dont you go look up Jamar Butler#'s from that game or how about Othella Hunters #'s or even David Lighty's numbers. 3 of there best players played like hot garbage and this team was chucking airballs in the clutch (literally they threw up 2 airballs in the last 4 minutes of the game). The team shot 39% from the field and 25% from three. That doesnt sound anywhere close to a decent home performance.

sorry but when your ranked #13 overall in the nation and your only quality wins are @Kentucky, @OSU and @Illinois lets just say im not impressed. Im nice enough to even consider that win at Illinois quality seeing Illinois had 2 chances to win that game with free throws and they were also missing 2 of the teams best players, I wouldnt consider this that great a win considering Illinois's record is 2-9 in the big ten haha.

Big Ten is bad this year and Indiana is overrated when they are carrying a ranking like that around. You also really gotta drop those corny one liners.

Return to NCAA Basketball