ImageImageImage

Kidd to the Mavs??

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,886

Post#81 » by SuperDeluxe » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:10 am

It looks like Devean George is kinda mad. Look at his stat line tonight: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2008021306
eloper
Starter
And1: 82

Post#82 » by eloper » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:11 am

threrf23 wrote:Perhaps Devean George was asked to decline the trade? Maybe this is similar to GP not reporting to the C's, now the Nets have to take back Hassell and give Antoine Wright (I'm not convinced that Antoine Wright's improvement this season has nothing to do with the fact that its a contract year for him).

Anyways, IMO this was a bad trade for the Mavs to begin with, Devean George can only do them a favor by exercising his rights IMO.

Antoine Wright improved? I'm pretty sure he's the same efficiency disaster he's always been.

I initially thought about the GP thing as well, though I'd be utterly shocked if this blocked the deal. Too bad for Dallas fans, who are getting screwed royally. I'm sure Kidd will improve their 2nd rated offense with his 37% shooting...ugh and they're getting Antoine Wright. Poor Dallas.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,393

Post#83 » by threrf23 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:13 am

GeraldGreen5 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Antoine Wright improved? I'm pretty sure he's the same efficiency disaster he's always been.

I haven't watched him much. I was just under the impression he had been playing noticeably better this year, at least earlier in the season
Al n' Perk No Layups!
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#84 » by Al n' Perk No Layups! » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:17 am

threrf23 wrote:Perhaps Devean George was asked to decline the trade? Maybe this is similar to GP not reporting to the C's, now the Nets have to take back Hassell and give Antoine Wright (I'm not convinced that Antoine Wright's improvement this season has nothing to do with the fact that its a contract year for him).

Anyways, IMO this was a bad trade for the Mavs to begin with, Devean George can only do them a favor by exercising his rights IMO.

NJ was giving Wright anyways (it was going to be in a separate deal, Wright for a second, Dallas uses TPE).
eloper
Starter
And1: 82

Post#85 » by eloper » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:36 am

threrf23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I haven't watched him much. I was just under the impression he had been playing noticeably better this year, at least earlier in the season

He started off the year playing almost passably, after that it's been straight downhill. To my surprise really, I expected him to be a quality player coming out of college, but he hasn't shown any signs of life. At this point, he may be the worst player in the league playing over 25 minutes a game (Jeff McInnis, QRich, and Pavlovic give him a run for his money though).
francishsu
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#86 » by francishsu » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:06 am

Just heard that Devean George would lose his Bird rights if traded. Also that his agent is Mark Bartelstein. I think Bartelstein is arguably the best agent out there. The guy got us to overpay Blount. He orchestrated the largest trade in NBA history, getting his client Antoine Walker on the Miami Heat. And he got a scrub like George a no-trade clause written into his contract.
Celtic Thug RIP @ Healthpoint
Al n' Perk No Layups!
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#87 » by Al n' Perk No Layups! » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:24 am

francishsu wrote:Just heard that Devean George would lose his Bird rights if traded. Also that his agent is Mark Bartelstein. I think Bartelstein is arguably the best agent out there. The guy got us to overpay Blount. He orchestrated the largest trade in NBA history, getting his client Antoine Walker on the Miami Heat. And he got a scrub like George a no-trade clause written into his contract.

George doesn't have a no trade clause. If George gets traded, he would have to wave his bird rights, and he won't do that.
Pogue Mahone
Head Coach
And1: 738

Post#88 » by Pogue Mahone » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:51 am

Al n' Perk No Layups! wrote:George doesn't have a no trade clause. If George gets traded, he would have to wave his bird rights, and he won't do that.

Exactly.

Essentially, it is akin to Boston acquiring Joe Dink, rotation player, via free agency and signing him to a two year deal, with a player option. Boston is pleased with his performance but Dink elects free agency. After testing the market, Boston and Dink agree to a second contract, for one year (so as not to eat into Boston's MLE.) Boston re-signs Dink again, for one year (for the MLE reason above.) In the third year, Boston has a chance to make a trade but needs salary filler to make it work, so they attempt to include Dink in the trade. They would need to get Dink's permission because he would lose his bird rights.

Except, in this case, George is the Dink.

Seriously, though, George did Dallas a favor by signing what amounts to three consecutive one year contracts so that in the last two years they could retain their MLE.

It would be no different then if, after this season, Posey declines his option, tests the market and re-signs with Boston for another year. In the summer of 2009, he signs on again for one more year (to allow Boston to preserve it's MLE and the latitude to utilize it to strengthen the roster.) If Boston attempted to trade him in 2009-10, we would need his permission.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,051

Post#89 » by Dogen » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:51 pm

Al n' Perk No Layups! wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

George doesn't have a no trade clause. If George gets traded, he would have to wave his bird rights, and he won't do that.

Further explaination:

Although Kobe Bryant is the only player in the league with a specific no-trade clause in his contract, league rules dictate that players on a one-year contract -- but who are also eligible for Early Bird free-agent rights at the end of the contract -- cannot be traded without their consent. George, who earns $2.4 million this season, is one of 18 such players in the league at present, afforded the right to either approve or veto trades because those Bird rights are lost if they do get traded.
Hey you! Can we come together?
tombattor
General Manager
And1: 807

Post#90 » by tombattor » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:28 pm

chakdaddy wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
When did I say I haven't watched Harris. All I've ever seen is a fast guy with decent size, ok shooter, ok playmaker, all the makings of an ok player. Certainly not terrible, better than Marcus Williams...but no Jason Kidd.

We'll see what happens to New Jersey. In this case, it is possible that they couldn't have done better. But I doubt it. But Kidd was only going to decline further, while Gasol wasn't anywhere near the end of his career.

I bet you thought Tim Perry was a big pickup for the Sixers back in the day, since you're no novice.

No, I thought Tim Perry was a serviceable PF and Andrew Lang was an alright C, but the package the Sixers got didn't have a guy like Devin Harris, who was a budding star. Hornacek was pretty good, but he was a secondary guy. Also another huge difference was that Barkley was still pretty much in his prime when he was traded, vs. Kidd who's definitely at the twilight of his career.

Return to Boston Celtics