Next Indiana Head Coach

Moderator: bwgood77

GLtrojans
Freshman
And1: 0

Next Indiana Head Coach 

Post#1 » by GLtrojans » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:19 pm

Looks like Sampson is on his way out and the Hoosiers are gonna need a new leader. Who do you guys think is the next coach at Indiana?
shakeandbake
Junior

Post#2 » by shakeandbake » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:54 pm

Bruce Pearl.
GLtrojans
Freshman

Post#3 » by GLtrojans » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:07 am

shakeandbake wrote:Bruce Pearl.

I dont see UT letting Pearl go for a while but his passion and enthusiasm would be great for IU and would finally give them some stability again that they havent had for a while
HeavyP
Starter

Post#4 » by HeavyP » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:45 am

Tony Bennett
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,026

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:17 am

Pearl would be great. He's got a history at Southern Indiana, and our current rivalry with Illinois certainly wouldn't go away (see Deon Thomas and his recruiting scandal). Dan Dakich (formerly of Bowling Green) will (likely) take over as the interim coach and if we finish strong, will get a strong look as permanent coach.

Steve Alford will always be mentioned, but I think his lineage with Bob Knight will ultimately hurt him, and not help him, in his interview for the job. His lack of success at a Big 10 program will also hurt him, though I'm sure he could recruit at Indiana a lot better than he did at Iowa. Hell, he probably wouldn't have to leave the state for the next 3 years.

Ray McCallum (on the staff currently) could get another look. He's got experience at Ball State and Houston. He rode Bonzi Wells to success at Ball State and suffered at Houston. However, the fact that he was on the staff that committed the violations could go against him. However, the fact that his son is likely to be a high 4*/5* recruit in 2010 could go in his favor (he wants to play for his dad as well).

Scott Skiles and Lawrence Frank will probably be mentioned. They each have a history either in the state (Skiles dominated Indiana high school basketball years ago) or at IU (Frank was a team manager at IU), but I think IU would rather go with a guy with college head coaching experience which both lack.

Brad Brownell of Wright State and Sean Miller of Xavier either have attachments to Indiana (Brownell is from Evansville) and Miller has apparently received rave reviews from AD Rick Greenspan at IU after knocking off IU this year and in admiration of his career thus far at Xavier. Both could be the type of mid-major coach to make the leap that could interest IU and they both recruit the midwest already.

Kevin Stallings apparently has connections to Rick Greenspan as well, but he played and later coached at Purdue. While former female basketball coach Sharon Versyp played at Purdue, coached at IU, and succeeded, I just can't see Greenspan dipping into the Purdue pipeline to lead IU. However, Stallings and John Beilein were the finalists when Sampson was hired, but the fact he was a Purdue guy hurt him and Beilein's buyout was what kept him from being the current head coach at IU.

Two very unlikely, but somewhat possible candidates could be Brad Stevens of Butler and Ron Hunter of IUPUI. Stevens would likely stay at Butler and while doing great so far there, is still untested. Hunter has completely built the IUPUI program into a contender in their conference, is beloved by Indiana high school coaches, is trusted by his players and recruits, and coaches with passion while being a very honorable man.

I'm sure many other names like Rick Pitino, Mark Few, and John Calipari may come up, but as last time, it'll probably just be so that they can get either facility upgrades or pay raises from their current schools.

Tom Crean would be a dream hire if he could be convinced to leave Marquette. His recruiting ability in the midwest is extremely strong, and he's completely rebuilt Marquette into a consistently strong team year in and year out. However, I doubt he'd be willing to leave since he already has strong facilities and a great contract.

The IU job will depend tremendously on what punishment IU receives from the NCAA in the Sampson violations. We have a great new practice facility that should be ready for next season, and then Assembly Hall is either to be renovated or bulldozed and rebuilt. We have a great history, although our last national championship is now getting further and further in the past. We have a great recruiting bed to raid here in-state and we're a basketball first school. The job could be great, but NCAA sanctions could really hurt the image of the job.
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#6 » by GYBE » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:28 am

I'm suprised I haven't heard anything about Mike Brey being looked at. He won Big East COY last year and is the frontrunner yet again. That's pretty good in a conference full of legendary coaches. He knows the state and has kept ND in the upper echelon of a tougher conference than the Big 10. All this with terrible facilities and at a school that was a basketball wasteland before he came.

Hey, I'm not complaining. As an Irish fan I hope no one wants him.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:09 am

I think if the youngest Zeller was committed to IU or still available, he'd be a huge option. However, we're still very early in any coaching search, and Greenspan probably hasn't had a chance to look at anybody yet. I think Brey would probably have his name in the hat, and he may end up a finalist, but I just don't know how he fits at IU. He has no past history there, and while I mentioned a few guys who also don't, it just doesn't seem to fit him best.

However, I'm also just mentioning names that were mentioned in the past or have a history in the state of Indiana. I'm sure Brey would also be considered, but we haven't heard any new rumors about Greenspan.

Whomever he picks will probably come out of left field, much like Sampson did. Sampson was never even mentioned as a coaching candidate, but somehow was named the head coach with the media only finding out about 2 hours before the announcement.
cdash
Analyst

Post#8 » by cdash » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:18 am

I posted this on the Pacer messageboard in response the Scoot's comments above:

Pearl would be a dream hire, I just dont see him leaving Tennessee. Yeah, he once stated IU was his dream job, he has Big Ten history, he coached at Southern Indiana, but I just cant see him picking up and leaving what he has started at Tennessee. True, men's basketball will always be miles behind football there, and probably behind women's basketball, but he seems to be a loyal guy and grateful that the Volunteers hired him.

Throw out Alford, McCallum, and Dakich. Alford couldnt succeed at Iowa, and was basically run out of town. McCallum is actually mentioned in the recruiting snafu with Sampson, so I cant foresee any scenario under the sun in which he becomes head coach...and that is not even mentioning his less than impressive head coaching resume. I dont think we will put our entire program in the hands of a guy just because his kid could be a solid recruit in two years. Dakich was bad at Bowling Green. His last few seasons there his teams were abysmal. Sorry, but I dont care how much ties to the university you have, if you cant win at the mid major level, then you wont be considered for one of the premier college coaching jobs in the nation. Besides, assuming he is named interim head coach the rest of the season, you remember what happened last time we promoted an assistant to head coach? Yeah....

I have heard the Skiles thing numerous times, and I just dont see it. Too many questions with him. He had drug issues when he was in college (not a big deal in my mind), and he has zero college coaching experience. I feel like he (and Lawrence Frank for that matter) are more "NBA guys" than college guys. Yeah, Skiles is from Indiana and currently lives here, but I really dont think that should matter one bit. Lawrence Frank I just cant see. Again, I think we want to make sure we get this one right, and taking a chance on a guy with no college coaching experience seems risky.

Brownell is okay, I honestly dont know enough about him. He seems to put competitive teams on the court and his record is pretty good, but I just think hes a question mark. Sean Miller, to be blunt, I love. I realize he took over a Xavier program still running strong from Thad Matta, but he completely outcoached Sampson in their rout of IU earlier this year, he seems to be a great game coach, and he has some pretty solid recruits lined up for Xavier for the next few years. I really think he would be a solid choice. Xavier coaches have a good track record of success and he is already recruiting much of the same area that he would be at IU.

I actually like Kevin Stallings too. He is a Purdue guy, which is a minus, but if you can win at Vanderbilt, that is impressive. He has done very well there and I honestly wouldnt mind him as head coach. He has signed some pretty good recruits at Vandy, imagine him at a power school like IU.

I dont think Brad Stevens of Butler has any shot whatsoever. He is coaching a mid major to a top ten ranking, but lets be honest, this team was inherited from Todd Lickliter (now at Iowa, obviously). If he holds it down for a couple more years and wins with his own guys, then I am all for it, but right now, not enough experience. I do think if he were offered, he would accept in a millisecond though. I think theres a better chance of Ron Hunter, but ultimately, there are better options out there.

Of course we are likely to hear Pitino, Calipari (Lets not forget he is a slimey guy; his only trip to the Final Four at UMass was expunged from the NCAA record books for his recruiting violations, and his players at Memphis havent exactly been model citizens.), and Few will be mentioned too. Again, cant see any of them leaving where they are at.

I dont really agree that Tom Crean is a "dream" candidate. I think you are giving the man an awful lot of credit for his work at Marquette. That program wasnt exactly in shambles, or even a bad program at all, before he got there. He's had success, but I dont think he is a slam dunk candidate. Again, in disagreement with you, I think he would absolutely leave Marquette for IU if the job were offered. Like I said earlier, IU is a premier college coaching gig. I think if you look at it, the best jobs in college basketball are (in no particular order): Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Indiana, Kentucky, and UCLA. Arguments could probably be made for a handful of other programs like Arizona and UConn, but at the end of the day the six I listed are probably still the best. Marquette is a stepping stone to a better job, and IU definitely qualifies.

A guy that you didnt mention which I have seen Andy Katz and a few others chirping is Tony Bennett at Washington State. He took over that program from his dad and immediately turned them around, and he has midwest ties to boot. His sister (Kathi) was the IU women's coach for a little bit, although she didnt have a great deal of success. I like Bennett, and while I would like to see a little more experience, I think he is one to keep an eye on.

Another guy that will probably be mentioned is Scott Drew of Baylor. He has Indiana ties (which seem to mean something to people--I couldnt care less personally) from coaching at Valparaiso, and he has done a masterful job since taking over at Baylor. The situation he walked into was awful. The program almost got the death penalty from the NCAA and its not like they had any sort of success in the past. That scandal there with the murder and the cover ups and all the sleazy things Dave Bliss was doing is a hundred times worse than this phone call extravaganza we have going on at IU. He has them competing for the tournament this year in a pretty solid Big 12, and he has some really solid recruits (especially for Baylor) lined up for next year.

I dont think the sanctions will have a great impact on the desirability of the job. Since we are likely to reprimand Sampson ourselves by relieving him of his coaching duties, the NCAA will see that as action and lessen the penalties on the school. I think getting rid of his whole staff at seasons end would be a good sign that we want to cleanse ourselves of the situation. Thats why I dont think even if Dakich takes us deep in the tournament that he will get much consideration for the job. I know he wasnt listed on the report, but still. Basically, at worst, I think we will lose a few scholarships, be put on probation, and Sampson will have a "just cause" (or whatever its called) stamped on him for future coaching positions. Its possible that we could get a postseason ban, but I doubt it.
NYK_UNLV
Bench Warmer

Post#9 » by NYK_UNLV » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:28 pm

Whoever they decide looking for... I hope they leave Lon Kruger alone :P

As for Alford... he is showing he is a bit better of a coach than anticipated. He may legitimately win the MWC coach of the year honors... though I think Kruger should win it (and should be in contention for national CoY given the team he is working with). But Alford shouldn't be looked over. An internal hire would just ruin the excitement of the coaching wheel!
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#10 » by Cammo101 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:18 am

IU will hire a guy with ties to the school. Period.
cdash
Analyst

Post#11 » by cdash » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:09 am

Cammo101 wrote:IU will hire a guy with ties to the school. Period.

Yeah, since they did that the last few times they hired a coach...

I guarantee you that the next Hoosier coach does not have any direct ties to the school. By direct ties, I mean: he is not an alumni and has not been a part of the Hoosier staff at any point.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#12 » by Cammo101 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:25 am

cdash wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yeah, since they did that the last few times they hired a coach...

I guarantee you that the next Hoosier coach does not have any direct ties to the school. By direct ties, I mean: he is not an alumni and has not been a part of the Hoosier staff at any point.

Sampson was the first coach in forever without ties to the school. That went well.
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 503

Post#13 » by raleigh » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:22 pm

Please take Mike Woodson, Hoosiers.

:nod:
cdash
Analyst

Post#14 » by cdash » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:42 am

Cammo101 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Sampson was the first coach in forever without ties to the school. That went well.

Well, I will defer to you, since you are know so much about IU basketball and all...
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#15 » by Cammo101 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:24 am

Actually, I am hearing a lot of talk about Thad Matta ending up at IU assuming they do not get hit too hard by the NCAA.
cdash
Analyst

Post#16 » by cdash » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:31 pm

Yeah I heard that too actually. I dont really know why he would leave Ohio State for Indiana, but I am not going to complain. Matta is a fantastic coach.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#17 » by Cammo101 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:32 pm

cdash wrote:Yeah I heard that too actually. I dont really know why he would leave Ohio State for Indiana, but I am not going to complain. Matta is a fantastic coach.

Agreed on all counts.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:06 pm

Cammo101 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Completely untrue. Bob Knight had no connection to IU other than he played basketball at another Big 10 school (Ohio State). He came from the Military Academy (Army) to coach IU. Davis was an assistant under Davis, and Sampson had no ties to IU. Thus, 2 out of our last 3 coaches have been from completely outside the program (2 out of 4 if you count Dakich as an "official" head coach and not just an interim coach).
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:07 pm

Thad Matta would be great, but as (I think cdash on the Pacers forum) someone suggested, Bryce Drew at Baylor could be a great option. He has ties to the state, and has done a fantastic job at building some sense of stability at a school that desperately needed it. IU could use someone like that.
James_Dolan
Banned User

Post#20 » by James_Dolan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:01 am

Hopefully it's Isiah Thomas when he's fired.

Return to NCAA Basketball