Retired Mod
And1: 358

The state of Indiana 

Post#1 » by GYBE » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:02 pm

#8 Butler
#14 Purdue
#15 Indiana
#21 Notre Dame

I remember a couple years ago when no school from Indiana made the tournament. That was the low point in a decline from prominence for the state's hoops programs. Years ago, it wasn't unusual for 5-6 schools to regularly make it.

But with Matt Painter doing a wonderful job at Pudue, Mike Brey keeping ND an elite BE team and Butler having so much success, the small basketball-crazy state has more ranked teams than anyone.
cdash
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#2 » by cdash » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:55 pm

Oh, if only the Purple Aces or Sycamores could pull off a miracle in the MVC tournament...

PS: Indiana is 14th and Purdue is 15th.
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by GYBE » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:58 pm

I used AP, they're switched in the USA Today poll.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#4 » by Cammo101 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:17 am

They lead all states in text messages and 3 way calls as well.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
cdash
Analyst

Post#5 » by cdash » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:07 am

GYBE - Wasnt meaning to be a stickler. I am just a Hoosier fan...cant have those Boilers ahead of us :).
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by GYBE » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:13 pm

We got screwed this year with the tournament locations.

The Midwest regionals are in Detroit. Even the Washington and Omaha games would be closer. Indiana could have 4 schools with seeds in the Top 4 and none will get to play close to home.
cdash
Analyst

Post#7 » by cdash » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:44 am

Go figure. I really like the mini-renaissance basketball has made in Indiana. Makes me want to shove it in Pat Forde's face. He wrote a whole article a year or two ago on how pathetic basketball was at the high school, collegiate, and professional levels in the state. Good call there Forde. Only some of the best players in the nation have come from the Hoosier state in the past few years. Cant defend the Pacers though, they are in bad shape.
CircleCitysportsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 81

Post#8 » by CircleCitysportsfan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:11 am

I'm still waiting for a preseaon tourney single elimination between IU, PU, Butler, Ball State, Valpo, IUPUI, Evansville, Indiana State. At the fieldhouse over a weekend in november...that would rock!!!!!
Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 659

Re: The state of Indiana 

Post#9 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Thu Mar 6, 2008 6:14 pm

GYBE wrote:the small basketball-crazy state has more ranked teams than anyone.

That is good stuff for the state of Indiana for sure.

I am more amazed, though, that the non-basketball-crazy state of Tennessee has 3 teams in the top 8 of the RPI:

Tennessee
North Carolina
Memphis
Duke
Texas
Xavier
UCLA
Vanderbilt
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#10 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Mar 6, 2008 7:09 pm

CircleCitysportsfan wrote:I'm still waiting for a preseaon tourney single elimination between IU, PU, Butler, Ball State, Valpo, IUPUI, Evansville, Indiana State. At the fieldhouse over a weekend in november...that would rock!!!!!

Don't hold your breath on that. Butler won't even play IUPUI in a game in town. Do you really think that IU, Purdue, Butler, and (I'll add in) Notre Dame would really want to allow Ball State, Valpo, IUPUI, Evansville, and Indiana State into that type of tournament? There's really no reason for any of them to give games to those guys. It doesn't help them if they win, and hurts them tremendously if they lose.
CircleCitysportsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 81

Post#11 » by CircleCitysportsfan » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:42 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Don't hold your breath on that. Butler won't even play IUPUI in a game in town. Do you really think that IU, Purdue, Butler, and (I'll add in) Notre Dame would really want to allow Ball State, Valpo, IUPUI, Evansville, and Indiana State into that type of tournament? There's really no reason for any of them to give games to those guys. It doesn't help them if they win, and hurts them tremendously if they lose.

They always say yes in March Madness 2008. :wink:

Return to NCAA Basketball