Oregon State Makes Shameful History

Moderator: bwgood77

KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Oregon State Makes Shameful History 

Post#1 » by KingInExile » Sun Mar 9, 2008 12:37 am

Up to this season, no team in the Pac-10 has ever gone the full season without a conference win. That has now changed With Oregon State's loss today to Arizona State. The Beaver's shameful 0-18 conference record is a milestone...but it is a milestone I and every other OSU alum would be thrilled to not own. It is amazing how far this team has fallen from the days of Gary Payton and Brent Barry.

Well, time for baseball...and a run at a third-straight College World Series title.
This space needs to be filled with a new sig...but I'm too lazy to make one.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#2 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Sun Mar 9, 2008 6:36 am

As gleefully excited as I am that the Beavers suck at a major sport, this is disappointing. Arguably their most winnable game was against Washington at Gill and they got blown out by 38. We knew this Beavs team would be bad...but not THIS bad.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#3 » by Milkdud » Sun Mar 9, 2008 7:20 pm

Its pretty damn shameful, and honestly kind of shocking that the athletic department couldn't see how horrible Jay John was running the program. Hopefully it will jump start to something positive.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,923

Re: Oregon State Makes Shameful History 

Post#4 » by JN » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:36 pm

KingInExile wrote:Up to this season, no team in the Pac-10 has ever gone the full season without a conference win. That has now changed With Oregon State's loss today to Arizona State. The Beaver's shameful 0-18 conference record is a milestone...but it is a milestone I and every other OSU alum would be thrilled to not own. It is amazing how far this team has fallen from the days of Gary Payton and Brent Barry.

Well, time for baseball...and a run at a third-straight College World Series title.

The team has been arguably the worst BCS program the last 10 years, so if I could pick one school to do it, it was them unfortunately.

There best season was 8-10... I think other then that they have never won more then six games.

They probably compete with Northwestern for worst BCS basketball program in last 10 years.

Were they even a tournament team in the Brent Barry era? They must have been good with Payton... but I don't remember. I do remember seeing some old polls, and seeing Oregon St consistently at the top for a series of years in the early 80's IIRC.
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Post#5 » by Polynice4Pippen » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:51 am

Well, Kevin O'Neill will be available. Whoever takes that job will obviously have a lot of work to do though. Still we all said the same thing about Washington State a few years back when the Bennett's came to town.
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#6 » by worthlessBucks » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:00 pm

Going into the year knowing that they were going to get Giles I had assumed they could at least win 1 game. On their behalf, the Pac 10 is oh so tough, it's hard to say this wasn't a possibility and I'm sure they would have won some games in a different league. Marcel Jones appears to have had a bad year, I thought he would improve upon last year.

It would be nice to see them give a good effort against Arizona on Wednesday night.
Go Bucks!
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#7 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:32 pm

I saw a stat that might be of interest: Oregon State's average conference record since 1991 is 5-13. That's a 28% winning percentage against the Pac-10.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
riehldeal
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#8 » by riehldeal » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:30 pm

repeat after me OSU.....NOLAN RICHARDSON
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#9 » by Milkdud » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:48 am

riehldeal wrote:repeat after me OSU.....NOLAN RICHARDSON

He would be a massive upgrade over what they have currently. OSU biggest problem at least IMO is there inability to recruit. At the time Jay John was hired they mentioned his ability to recruit as a big positive for him. Well in his time here he didn't recruit much of anyone in fact his first 2 season he did a marginal job with the talent left my Richie McKay. I think whoever they bring in needs to be able to attract atleast marginal players to come to OSU (sadly marginal players is an upgrade). Whoever it may be needs to have an area where he can pull talent local, international or from some region that doesn't have a big program with a strangle hold on the area. Much like in football where OSU is able to get kids from Nevada by playing the Pac-10 card they need to do something similar.
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Re: Oregon State Makes Shameful History 

Post#10 » by KingInExile » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:04 pm

JN wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The team has been arguably the worst BCS program the last 10 years, so if I could pick one school to do it, it was them unfortunately.

There best season was 8-10... I think other then that they have never won more then six games.

They probably compete with Northwestern for worst BCS basketball program in last 10 years.

Were they even a tournament team in the Brent Barry era? They must have been good with Payton... but I don't remember. I do remember seeing some old polls, and seeing Oregon St consistently at the top for a series of years in the early 80's IIRC.

Since you are so ignorant to not understand that the BCS has nothing to do with basketball, I am not going to waste my time with you.
This space needs to be filled with a new sig...but I'm too lazy to make one.
RebelSun
Junior
And1: 0

Post#11 » by RebelSun » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:04 pm

They should swap them with Boise State in the Pac-10.

Return to NCAA Basketball