Woeffel Update - Bucks could hire coach before GM

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Woeffel Update - Bucks could hire coach before GM 

Post#1 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Apr 9, 2008 2:01 pm

Woeffel was on the radio this morning. Fill in what I might have missed.

He didn't offer anything new on the GM search other than the guys we are voting on in the poll thread. But he did seem to say there are some rumors (I hope he's not reading those here) that Herb Kohl knows he has to make a splash with a big hiring and that the GM's available aren't going to do that.

There is a school of thought that he'll hire a big name coach first. I think this is basically a re-hash of the Larry Brown rumor but who knows.....

The other thing is that Woeffel talked up Billy King a bit, saying he was part of the 2001 Philly team that beat the Bucks. Again, just poor memory. Larry Brown was running that team and picking the players, not Billy King. Once Brown left, that team imploded with questionable draft choices, bad trades and horrible contracts.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#2 » by europa » Wed Apr 9, 2008 2:05 pm

Woelfel also was quoted as calling Larry Harris "a shrewd draft evaluator" and then offering up Jason Hart as evidence of it. His research skills need more work - and that's definitely the case if he's hyping up Billy King.

Figures the Bucks would get this whole process ass backwards.

I love this team.
Nothing will not break me.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,907

Post#3 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Apr 9, 2008 2:05 pm

Please let's not do the hire a coach before a GM thing again. We did that before (Dunleavy) and it didn't work. Yes none of the available GM candidates will make a "Splash". So what? Hire the GM and let the GM hire the coach. It could still be Brown.

I really, REALLY hope Kohl doesn't think he can sell a King/Brown package by telling the fans that this is the duo that beat us in 2001.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
yoyomayoma
Pro Prospect
And1: 19

thanks for the update PP 

Post#4 » by yoyomayoma » Wed Apr 9, 2008 2:05 pm

I honestly can't think of a worse GM candidate than Billy King. I can't believe that guy would even get an interview let alone be a serious candidate for a job after what he did to that franchise. If Hammond or Griffin are at all interested, I hope to hell Kohl opens the checkbook for one of them.

Also I totally agree with MD. Don't put the cart before the horse. Bring in the GM and let him hire his guy.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#5 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Apr 9, 2008 2:08 pm

PP's post about Billy King in the poll thread needs to be repeated here:

Just look at what I've done in Philly: Since we made the 2001 Finals, I gave Mutombo a $68 million extension even though he could have been, like, 48 years old for all we knew. I gave $35.5 million to Aaron McKie. I gave $29 million to Eric Snow. I gave $18 million to Greg Buckner. I gave $40 million to Kenny Thomas and $25 million to Brian Skinner. I gave $25 million to Kyle Korver and $60 million to Sam Dalembert last summer. That's $300 million of contracts to guys who were either on the decline or never that good in the first place. Plus, I traded for other bad contracts, guys like Keith Van Horn, Glenn Robinson, Kevin Ollie, you name it. And then, last February, the pinnacle -- dumping three bad contracts for C-Webb, who everyone thought couldn't be traded because of his contract and because he ran with a limp. Now we have an aging team built around two past-their-prime stars and our cap space is killed through 2008. And we completely wasted Iverson's prime, when he was one of the best players of his generation.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#6 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Wed Apr 9, 2008 2:15 pm

So the GM won't be the one choosing the coach?? Just make Ron Walter the GM if this is how things have to go.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#7 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Apr 9, 2008 2:20 pm

adamcz wrote:So the GM won't be the one choosing the coach?? Just make Ron Walter the GM if this is how things have to go.

So what? Any quality GM candidate doesn't really want the hassle of picking a coach and any quality GM will welcome the owner and his cronies helping run things on a day by day (and hour by hour) basis.

We are after all, modeling ourselves after the Clippers organization.
pilprin
Pro Prospect
And1: 87

Post#8 » by pilprin » Wed Apr 9, 2008 2:21 pm

I'd still take the King/Brown combo. There are few experienced GM's that you can't point to bad decisions or bad contracts. You have to take risks from time to time. Sometimes is blows up on you.
europa
RealGM

Post#9 » by europa » Wed Apr 9, 2008 2:22 pm

pilprin wrote:I'd still take the King/Brown combo. There are few experienced GM's that you can't point to bad decisions or bad contracts. You have to take risks from time to time. Sometimes is blows up on you.

King destroyed a team. That's not just a bad decision or two. That's a number of bad decisions over time that resulted in the destruction of a Finals team. I want no part of anyone with that history.
Bucks_Revenge
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#10 » by Bucks_Revenge » Wed Apr 9, 2008 2:28 pm

europa wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

King destroyed a team. That's not just a bad decision or two. That's a number of bad decisions over time that resulted in the destruction of a Finals team. I want no part of anyone with that history.

I don't see how he destroyed a team the team he put together through all those decisions is in the playoffs and has the best record in the nba since the allstar break.

I think King knew what he was doing. I don't know how he destroyed the finals team the 2 best players were mutombo and AI.

I have seen you guys dis like one guy like this before...kind of interesting. I am not trying to defend him but you guys make me think.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,823

Post#11 » by worthlessBucks » Wed Apr 9, 2008 2:32 pm

Herb, stick a For Sale sign in the ground.

As for the Sixers team of 2001, I posed this question before, but wasn't Pat Croce essentially running the show as VP? He was really tight with Iverson and Brown as I recall.

I wouldn't have believed you if you told me a month ago that Billy King would creep in as the front runner for the GM position, I should have though.
Go Bucks!
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#12 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Apr 9, 2008 2:40 pm

Bucks_Revenge wrote:I don't see how he destroyed a team the team he put together through all those decisions is in the playoffs and has the best record in the nba since the allstar break.

Again, I think it bears noting that the Sixers success right now is due to Andre Miller. Larry Brown after he left New York came in and was an advisor to the sixers pushing that deal.

From what you read, King wanted to trade Miller and install Louis Williams as starting PG.

Bucks_Revenge
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#13 » by Bucks_Revenge » Wed Apr 9, 2008 2:47 pm

You guys want a sports writer to be GM .....how can I take anything you guys say seriously ..

with that said I dont want Billy King and never did I just didn't understand the hate.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#14 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Apr 9, 2008 2:58 pm

Bucks_Revenge wrote:I just didn't understand the hate.

I think the hate is the fact that our team has stunk for 20-years because of terrible management by Herb Kohl and Ron Walter......and five years of Larry Harris.

Guys like Rick Sund and Billy King are proven losers.....and guys who have had plenty of time and plenty of chances. How dumb would Kohl have to be to hire either of these guys?

If our choice is Bill Simmons or either of those guys, I'm going Simmons all the way.

EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#15 » by EastSideBucksFan » Wed Apr 9, 2008 3:01 pm

This sort of information eerily reminds me of the Marquette name change.

Hear me out.

Everyone wanted them to go back to Warriors, but the alum wouldn't do it. So they gave them such a stupid name, the Gold, that everyone was happier than a pig in **** to be named Golden Eagles.

Right now we are all fighting about how stupid Rick Sund and Billy King are...so if/when Herb strikes out finding a really good GM, we will all be relieved/happy when Babcock takes over.
europa
RealGM

Post#16 » by europa » Wed Apr 9, 2008 3:03 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:This sort of information eerily reminds me of the Marquette name change.

Hear me out.

Everyone wanted them to go back to Warriors, but the alum wouldn't do it. So they gave them such a stupid name, the Gold, that everyone was happier than a pig in **** to be named Golden Eagles.

Right now we are all fighting about how stupid Rick Sund and Billy King are...so if/when Herb strikes out finding a really good GM, we will all be relieved/happy when Babcock takes over.

I'd rather have King than Babcock. I can't begin to put into words how badly I do not want to see another internal retread get the GM job. That proved to be a failure with Harris. I don't want anyone else getting another shot.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,723

Post#17 » by Licensed to Il » Wed Apr 9, 2008 3:05 pm

I enjoy reading Bill Simmons basketball columns so much, I doubt he has a bigger fan (of his basketball work) than me. But even so, I didn't take his interest in the job serious for one second, and the way he has gone about it and talked about Milwaukee (and our organization) has actually been insulting to me.

I'll tell you another thing, Kohl never even thought about the possibility of ENTERTAINING interviewing Simmons for a millasecond.

I think the reason many here are open or hopeful for the idea of Simmons in charge... is that they are so sick of how boring and predictable things have gotten that they want to be entertained by the Bucks like they are by Simmons. So it is easy for the mind to make the connection that Bill Simmons could theoretically put a team out there that would make us laugh and enjoy basketball like we do his columns. But thats not how it would work, the only guy that will put an entertaining team on the court is a qualified canidate with expereince in basketball scouting and evaluation, as well as a background in management and finance.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#18 » by WEFFPIM » Wed Apr 9, 2008 3:06 pm

Bucks_Revenge wrote:You guys want a sports writer to be GM .....how can I take anything you guys say seriously ..

The fact that you have yet to realize that no one (except for maybe 1 or 2 really stupid people) actually want Bill Simmons as a GM should worry you.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#19 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Apr 9, 2008 4:00 pm

I don't want another internal hire either but I'd take an unproven Babcock to a proven loser like King.
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 417

Post#20 » by smauss » Wed Apr 9, 2008 4:10 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I don't want another internal hire either but I'd take an unproven Babcock to a proven loser like King.

Although personally, I'd rather see Babcock prove he's an inept loser as a GM somewhere else. He does need to earn the right to have his name spoken in the same sentence as King's.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator

Return to Milwaukee Bucks