DIRTY BASKETBALL TACTICS & BASKETBALL SKILLS

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

DIRTY BASKETBALL TACTICS & BASKETBALL SKILLS 

Post#1 » by W. Unseld » Thu May 15, 2008 7:14 pm

If anyone can find my "basketball skills instruction" thread please let me know, this is better off in that. I'm in a league where the refs don't blow the whistle for fouls...ever...so my teamates and I are coming up with tactics to use, here is what we have so far, feel free to add if you know of any:

1. Hand checking: Use your inside hand, not your outside. Don't stiff arm simply push off from time to time as needed. Do this around waist level, if you go much higher it will probably get called.

2. Dealing with a streaking shooter: a. Jab the shooter's elbow with your fingers on his release. You may get called the first time but it will effect his shot for the rest of the game--especially if you luck out and hit the funny bone. Think Harper guarding Jordan in the early 90's. b. Take up the space where the shooter is supposed to land and box out early.

3. Defensive Rebounding: Use the old Wes Unseld: turn, stick your forearm into the gut of the guy behind you, then box out. This usually knocks the wind out of them and allows for a much easier box out. Note: this tactic almost got me killed in a league a few seasons ago. The counter to this is the chicken wing.

4. Moving pics: Make good use of them until they start calling them.

5. Driving: Do the D-Wade and clear with your off hand while driving. Not only will this give you an advantage over the defender but it will also prevent the reach in.

6. The Steve Nash: The defender is chest-guarding/hand checking you and you can't get by. Grab the defender's jersey w/your non-dribbling hand and pull him in the opposite direction that you want to go. Note: I am not coordinated to pull this off, but it should work for some of you.

7. Push off to get open. Push in one direction go to the other. It's away from the ball so it's almost never, ever going to get called and it gets you open and helps keep the offense in motion.

8. Foot Step Post Up: Step on a taller or high jumping defender's foot to get your shot off--they will not be able to block it all though it's harder to convert than you would think.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#2 » by TheSecretWeapon » Thu May 15, 2008 7:33 pm

9. Go with the flow. If someone is posting you up, when he raises his arm to call for the ball, push his arm up from the elbow. When he pushes the arm down (resisting you), flip your hand over and push his arm down. It's unsettling to the guy posting up -- he generally will feel like he can't get comfortable in the post. Especially if you couple this tactic with dropping your knee on his calves now and then.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
BanndNDC
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#3 » by BanndNDC » Thu May 15, 2008 7:46 pm

10. Knees to thighs equal charley horses

That's a pretty damn good compendium of crafty veteran moves (ok ok dirty play).
Until Grunfeld goes there is no rebuild.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by W. Unseld » Thu May 15, 2008 7:57 pm

Interesting addition Kev (also, it should be noted that Kev gave me the Wes Unseld rebounding idea). Bannd, I like it but in practice I think it's tough to pull off. Every time I've banged knees w/anything it's been by accident.

Also, if I played in a league where they occasionally blew the whistle I would have added:

11. The Big Z: push the defender into your team mate while he's driving to ensure the foul.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#5 » by keynote » Thu May 15, 2008 7:59 pm

I'm going to print this out and distribute to everyone on my church league team. ;)
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#6 » by Wizards2Lottery » Thu May 15, 2008 8:05 pm

Just put on a LeBron jersey and travel everytime.
BanndNDC
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#7 » by BanndNDC » Thu May 15, 2008 8:10 pm

W. Unseld wrote:Interesting addition Kev (also, it should be noted that Kev gave me the Wes Unseld rebounding idea). Bannd, I like it but in practice I think it's tough to pull off. Every time I've banged knees w/anything it's been by accident.

I used to be able to pull it off. The key is not focusing on it and trying to do it but letting the happy accident occur by keeping your knees bent. it's actually a very good counter to some of the other moves. Which reminds me, a good combo with the Unseld is aggressively boxing out while the opposing player's knees are straight (note: especially effective on free throws).

Also, if I played in a league where they occasionally blew the whistle I would have added:

11. The Big Z: push the defender into your team mate while he's driving to ensure the foul.

and
12. The LeBron: lock arms with defender (using his body to shield the view), using your leverage push forearm into gut pinning the man down and then rip arm free. has the side benefit of potentially hurting the opposing player but the harmful side effect of slapping yourself in the face.
Until Grunfeld goes there is no rebuild.
mzaretsk
Bench Warmer
And1: 5

Post#8 » by mzaretsk » Thu May 15, 2008 8:14 pm

wes unseld technique could also be used when looking for position to post up.

when posting up a smaller/lighter guy, get low as he is trying to chest guard/bump you and use the elbow of your non-dribble arm as the ball comes up on the bounce. nice, short elbow on every bounce will get you room for a short jumper or a spin move. it doesn't look bad because it is with the flow of your body.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,302

Post#9 » by nate33 » Thu May 15, 2008 8:14 pm

keynote wrote:I'm going to print this out and distribute to everyone on my church league team. ;)

Yeah. This stuff is gold.

Without question, the most effective tactic is moving screens off the ball. You can make all the backdoor cuts you want using moving screens and if there's only one ref, he's never going to see it.
mzaretsk
Bench Warmer
And1: 5

Post#10 » by mzaretsk » Thu May 15, 2008 8:25 pm

the footstep sounds like a bad idea - you have as much chance of hitting the shot as you do of twisting your ankle.

not sure if this one is dirty enough - when you got a guy who's all over you to deny the entry pass and forcing you to step out, once you catch the ball, do a quick turn while raising the ball above your head. you are likely to catch him with the elbow to the head. make sure its quick so that it looks like he ran into it and doesn't seem intentional. pretend like you're looking for a pass to make it more believable. also use it when coming off screens.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#11 » by fishercob » Thu May 15, 2008 8:30 pm

As the game starts to get more physical, use the offensive player's momentum against him in the post --> as he leans in for position (anticipating contact/resistance) just fall backward or move out of the way. Great way to throw someone's rhythm off down low.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#12 » by keynote » Thu May 15, 2008 9:04 pm

fishercob wrote:As the game starts to get more physical, use the offensive player's momentum against him in the post --> as he leans in for position (anticipating contact/resistance) just fall backward or move out of the way. Great way to throw someone's rhythm off down low.

The ol' Rick Mahorn "pull the chair away" move. Classic.

I'm actually pretty good with the old man physicality--the leaning, the grabbing, the knee in the back of the calf for leverage, etc. But as a "Big," I need to learn how to flop more--especially to draw over-the-back calls, like the one Okur tried to draw on Gasol last night. The NBA refs didn't call it, but that gets called 9 times out of 10 in my league.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by W. Unseld » Thu May 15, 2008 9:42 pm

daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 547

Post#14 » by daSwami » Thu May 15, 2008 10:03 pm

I favor the"tony Danza" maneuver. As your oppontent attempts to back you down in the post keep whispering "who's the boss?" in his ear. He'll get confused, turn his head around, at this moment, you donkey punch him in the face and then scream TONY DANZA!!! Works every time. (also effective wit da ladies in bed).
:banghead:
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: DIRTY BASKETBALL TACTICS 

Post#15 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu May 15, 2008 11:43 pm

W. Unseld wrote:If anyone can find my "basketball skills instruction" thread please let me know, this is better off in that. I'm in a league where the refs don't blow the whistle for fouls...ever...so my teamates and I are coming up with tactics to use, here is what we have so far, feel free to add if you know of any:

1. Hand checking: Use your inside hand, not your outside. Don't stiff arm simply push off from time to time as needed. Do this around waist level, if you go much higher it will probably get called.

2. Dealing with a streaking shooter: a. Jab the shooter's elbow with your fingers on his release. You may get called the first time but it will effect his shot for the rest of the game--especially if you luck out and hit the funny bone. Think Harper guarding Jordan in the early 90's. b. Take up the space where the shooter is supposed to land and box out early.

3. Defensive Rebounding: Use the old Wes Unseld: turn, stick your forearm into the gut of the guy behind you, then box out. This usually knocks the wind out of them and allows for a much easier box out. Note: this tactic almost got me killed in a league a few seasons ago. The counter to this is the chicken wing which Danny can demonstrate.

4. Moving pics: Make good use of them until they start calling them.

5. Driving: Do the D-Wade and clear with your off hand while driving. Not only will this give you an advantage over the defender but it will also prevent the reach in.

6. The Steve Nash: The defender is chest-guarding/hand checking you and you can't get by. Grab the defender's jersey w/your non-dribbling hand and pull him in the opposite direction that you want to go. Note: I am not coordinated to pull this off, but it should work for some of you.

7. Push off to get open. Push in one direction go to the other. It's away from the ball so it's almost never, ever going to get called and it gets you open and helps keep the offense in motion.

8. Foot Step Post Up: Step on a taller or high jumping defender's foot to get your shot off--they will not be able to block it all though it's harder to convert than you would think.

The essence of all dirty basketball is however you gain an illegal advantage, keep doing whatever it is until it gets called.

Bruce Bowen rushes in feet first when a guy is airborne, and has caused at least a couple of rolled ankles that way. He probably isn't trying to injure anybody but boy he's so good at "accidentally" hurting guys he's got a reputation. He has to slow certain guys down a bit because they're scared of what his moves can do to their lower extremities.

Bowen even kicks dudes more than occasionally.

Key thing is he's an elite defender and gets away with it. His tricks aren't called.

Another guy with an illegal move: When he has the ball, Kobe throws elbows a lot. He holds them tight to his body to the point it looks like he's just doing a ball fake or a head and shoulder move, but he's in reality clocking the crap out of defenders who play him too close. Rarely gets called.

Rip Hamilton propels himself into guys when he's running off the ball. That's one thing that enables him to bounce off and have separation to get his shot of. He's sort of like a receiver who jams a DB. Subtle gets away with offensive fouls left and right.

Not necessarily dirty basketball, but tricks that have proven to get over time and time again.
Bye bye Beal.
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#16 » by FreeBalling » Fri May 16, 2008 1:45 am

Your link led me to "Bad Questions to Ask a Transsexual: The Director's Cut "

You have to be kidding.
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#17 » by doclinkin » Fri May 16, 2008 8:30 am

Sadly the Old School tips and trick from the masters thread is lost in the archives. Link from the previous links thread here, but it's dead.

Legal stuff:
From the Worm Dennis Rodman: on Offensive boards (when playing with a glass backboard especially) you get a better eye for angles if you drop way underneath the board, even out of bounds. No defender will mark you and you get momentum heading to the spot where the ball is going to be, and/or incidentally clear the defender off the spot. Just make sure you turn and clear them with your backside otherwise the ref calls you for the foul. Rodman could do this because he was never an option on offense. On defensive boards though it's rare that you can afford to give up the low-post spot to see the ball in the air, but you can still use the out-of-bounds drop to ensure you get inside position if you're in place before the ball is dumped down low.

Bruce Bowen footwork, the safe version: if he picks up his dribble overhead, step inside his footwork and plant your feet, arms out or up. Pretty much any move he makes here will draw an offensive foul.

Hacker tactics:
Also from the Worm: A low handcheck + fistful of the guys shorts will keep him groundbound or steer him out your way when he jumps. Or he'll drop one hand to keep track of them pants and you can worm right by, get your ball.

Stockton style, make 'em pay for a pick: fighting over the top of a pick is a great place to hook 'em to the kidneys with an accidental elbow. You're just trying to use their body to push off get momentum to catch your man, but don't mind a small satisfaction hearing that 'grunt'. Just be sure to keep your head on a swivel for that next pick since he's bound to try to blindside you or crack you back---make sure to flop 'loud' when the retaliation comes. If you're scrawny and strong with natural bad intentions you start to look forward to picks, sharp elbows forearms shins and knees work to your advantage, Muay Thai style. Just play awkward the rest of the game and any contact looks incidental, any retaliation is bad sportsmanship on their part.

Watch the Argentinians in international ball, they're the masters at using the refs as though they were teammates. The guy who retaliates is always the one who gets the whistle.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#18 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri May 16, 2008 8:51 am

Robert Horry's gone from Big Shot Bob to Cheap Shot Bob.

He took out Nash last year with a hip check and that pretty much sealed the deal for a Spurs championship.

Tonight, he took out David West from the blind side. From hockey style hit last year to football style hit. West compared it to a quarterback being blindsided.

Robert Horry's a dirty baller with 7 rings.
Bye bye Beal.
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#19 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Fri May 16, 2008 12:48 pm

If I don't get there in time to properly contest the shot I like to lunge at the man's groin because that inevitably throws him off, but a swift kick to the head always works as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhTjSrZi91Y
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#20 » by fishercob » Fri May 16, 2008 10:53 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Robert Horry's gone from Big Shot Bob to Cheap Shot Bob.

He took out Nash last year with a hip check and that pretty much sealed the deal for a Spurs championship.

Tonight, he took out David West from the blind side. From hockey style hit last year to football style hit. West compared it to a quarterback being blindsided.

Robert Horry's a dirty baller with 7 rings.

I have to agree. I don't what was worse -- the body check or the celebration of the injury by the redneck fans.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin

Return to Washington Wizards