ImageImageImage

Quit ripping on Ray Allen

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

CatNation
Banned User
And1: 0

Quit ripping on Ray Allen 

Post#1 » by CatNation » Sat May 17, 2008 6:53 pm

seriously they double him like hes kobe or something. thats why hes been ineffective
mr_sunshine
Assistant Coach
And1: 482

Post#2 » by mr_sunshine » Sat May 17, 2008 6:57 pm

Or the fact that's he's missing wide open shots non-stop? Or maybe it's because he's too slow to drive around Wally (which is pathetic)? He's useless. He deserves about 20 MPG off the bench until he stops playing with a dump in his pants.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,741

Post#3 » by meatball sub » Sat May 17, 2008 7:32 pm

Ray is the only starter who has yet to show up for a single game this series. We've heard excuse after excuse for Ray's poor play, why is it that he gets a free pass? He is the biggest reason out on the court why this series is going 7 games. The refs do play their hand in the matter but ultimately if Ray Allen was playing the way he is supposed to we'd be in the ECF already. Getting abused by Wally World is pathetic, inexcusable and downright nauseating. IMO, the criticism is well deserved.

It really boils down to three things:

1. He's injured and isn't telling anyone.

If Ray is hurt, somebody needs to remind him that we can't win it all playing 4 on 5 every time he's on the floor. I really hope this isn't the case because I thought this team left their egos in Rome and a selfish display such as this would be an even bigger disappointment than...

2. His game has significantly declined.

I almost hope this is the case over #1. In this scenario a bulk of the blame must be put on Doc for not adjusting. If this is the case, Doc needs to either limit Ray's minutes as a starter or bring him off the bench. His reputation shouldn't prevent him from losing minutes when his play hurts us, not when KG and Paul Pierce are also on the team.

3. He's in yet another slump.

He's a jump shooter, slumps happen. I really, really, really wish he would break out of it immediately because he is KILLING us. When his shot isn't falling it would be fine if he stepped up his game on defense but he is simply getting beaten on both ends of the floor.

We're all searching for answers, wondering where the hell the other Ray Allen went. I would love nothing more than for Ray to absolutely go off in game 7 and prove to everybody he just needs to get going early to be effective.

Will the real Ray Allen please stand up?
The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#4 » by The Rondo Show » Sat May 17, 2008 7:47 pm

I've been a big Ray supporter this year and the large amount criticism he received for his regular season play was unwarranted and ridiculous IMO, but his play has been unacceptable these playoffs and he deserves to be criticized and called out.

Ray is vastly underperforming and is capable of averaging (an efficient) 25 a game against Wally. He's just not bringin' it like he can.
elrod enchilada
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by elrod enchilada » Sat May 17, 2008 8:34 pm

Ray's game declined significantly this year in the regular season from his standard. That is true even if you factor in fewer touches.

In the playoffs his play has been astonishingly bad. The idea that this is due to opposing defenses is preposterous. It didn't take 12 years for other NBA teams to learn to play Ray, especially when he is now the third option, rather then the first option.

The fact is Ray just has declined sharply probably due to age. He plays like I would expected him to play in four years, when he is 36. Last night he could not drive on Wally, and Wally got around Ray with little difficulty. It was astonishing and appalling.

When the Cs get eliminated, be it tomorrow or by the Pistons, Ray's sharp decline will be the single most important reason.

I can't really fault Danny for the trade, because last year Ray was a 26ppg scorer and there was every reason to believe he had at least two or three first-rate seasons left in the tank. But once player get into their 30s it is always a roll of the dice for when their game slips. In Ray's case, Danny got a very bad roll.

I take no pleasure in saying this, but watching his "play" the past few weeks has been painful, and there are no grounds to expect a turnaround.

How pathetic is it? In game 5, after Ray had bricked up the joint, the announcers were howling when he managed to tip a ball to keep it alive. That is the sort of crap you cheer when Scalabrine does it. That is what Ray has been reduced to. It is like applauding the kid in elementary school play with spoecial needs because theyu remembered their line.

If Ray can even average 15 points per game from here on out, it would be cause for celebration. The notion that he could throw down a 35 or 40 point game at this stage of his career is preposterous. Last year it was commonplace.
TheCelticTruth
Analyst
Location: You Can't Handle the Truth, the real city of champions, again.

Post#6 » by TheCelticTruth » Sat May 17, 2008 8:46 pm

ive never seen ray play the terrible basketball hes been giving us since the playoffs started

i dont know whats up, but he doesnt deserve any defending unless there is a reason we dont know about

Sig by twolves4ever
Boston-Syracuse-North Carolina, Screw Duke and BC
"ubuntu"
bru87tr
Rookie

Post#7 » by bru87tr » Sat May 17, 2008 9:06 pm

sorry, Ray blows and has not looked like the ray of the reg season.

maybe he has been getting shooting tips from antoine walker ?
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#8 » by bruno sundov » Sat May 17, 2008 9:20 pm

Ray has been exposed for what he is, just a scorer. When that isn't happening his game looks that much worse. he has a below average handle and defensive skill.s the list goes on and on.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#9 » by canman1971 » Sat May 17, 2008 9:25 pm

It is amazing how fast our fans will turn on a player, especially a class act like Ray. He could be hurting, you don't know. I would hate to have some of you as friends, geez.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#10 » by ParticleMan » Sat May 17, 2008 9:56 pm

Ray has sucked, no question. Wally is actually a terrible matchup for Ray because Wally is bigger and stronger and can get a shot off with little space. Credit Wally for playing great on O. But Ray has sucked on offense, it's been a big reason why we aren't playing the way we did during the reg season.
Albanian Damien
Starter
And1: 639

Post#11 » by Albanian Damien » Sat May 17, 2008 10:05 pm

Ray is sucking because he's not playing his game. He's been taking shots out of his comfort and missing, which just makes the rim seem so much smaller with a shooter. We need to be setting screens for him to come off of, maybe even some pick and rolls. Ray needs to be more confident and take smarter shots. He's still the amazing shooter.
My Starting 5:

PG: Allen Iverson
SG: Paul Pierce
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Patrick Ewing
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#12 » by GuyClinch » Sat May 17, 2008 10:11 pm

I thought Ray was undervalued on this board in the regular season. But he has really been hurting us in the post season. At this point I want to see TA stealing some of his minutes. It's that bad.

It's not Wally's great D. It's not the Cavs. It's just that RA has been playing poorly. He has no lift. He has no first step. And he has been off with his jumper.

Ray Allen at his best is NOT just a shooter. He is an all around scorer kind of like Kobe. A more graceful version of PP so to speak. But so far he has been playing like Gerald Green coming off mutiple knee surgerys..

Personally I think something is going on with Ray - could be a personal problem. Maybe he had a fight with a teamate or a tough divorce. Or maybe it's an injury thing. But the drop-off from all-star to also ran is really dramatic. He should be KILLING one on one coverage. he is not.

This is actually a big story that the media really isn't picking up on that much, IMHO.

Pete
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#13 » by Tricky Ricky » Sat May 17, 2008 10:29 pm

He sucks right now totally disapeared and has been a letdown
Quote of the year
MyInsatiableOne wrote:Did we just seriously post Danny's personal address and phone # on the board? :o
s1ickd
Veteran
And1: 247

Post#14 » by s1ickd » Sat May 17, 2008 10:53 pm

i get the viibe that pierce and rondo dont like passing to him. they NEVER give him the ball. if you notice, Ray plays better when he's with the second unit because he actually gets touches.

Also, he does drive past wally at will. it's just that Ilgauskas and Wallace meet him at the hoop. Pierce is sometimes able to overcome this because he's got the physcal strength to go at them... not true in the case of ray. Ray needs to operate in a wide open, free flowing offense like he did in Miluakee and Seattle. He's absolutely not a halfcourt, grind it out player.

it's kind of like having nash play a half court game where he walks it up the floor every posession.... and then wonder why he wasnt as effective as he was while playing for pheonix and dallas.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,068

Post#15 » by Ed Pinkney » Sat May 17, 2008 11:32 pm

canman1971 wrote:It is amazing how fast our fans will turn on a player, especially a class act like Ray. He could be hurting, you don't know.

I agree. Name one player who is worthy of praise these playoffs. Most players have played well at times though not a single player is bringing it every night. Pierce has been equally as atrocious at times. I can't believe how many times he gets to the rim with "Pierce of old" move only to clang the layup.

Maybe if this team actually ran plays to their best players strengths such as post ups and pick and rolls for Garnett, isolations and post ups for Pierce, and pick and rolls and coming off screens for Ray.

Or maybe if we keep passing the ball around for 15-20 seconds then put up a contested jump shot, that might actually start working.

I don't know if this is Rivers fault, or the players just not running the plays properly.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#16 » by GuyClinch » Sun May 18, 2008 2:05 am

i get the viibe that pierce and rondo dont like passing to him. they NEVER give him the ball. if you notice, Ray plays better when he's with the second unit because he actually gets touches.

Pierce and Rondo are more then willing to pass to Ray Allen. But of late he passes up the shot or clanks up one. That's the reality. It's time for the excuses to stop and the production to start for Ray Allen.

Pete
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,816

Post#17 » by cdubbz » Sun May 18, 2008 2:52 am

Ray Allen just doesnt fit with boston.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,816

Post#18 » by cdubbz » Sun May 18, 2008 2:54 am

GuyClinch wrote:

Pierce and Rondo are more then willing to pass to Ray Allen. But of late he passes up the shot or clanks up one. That's the reality. It's time for the excuses to stop and the production to start for Ray Allen.

Pete

haha i agree that i get the vibe rondo doesnt like to pass to ray allen. seems like posey and rondo shoot way more thatn allen. Yeah allen hasnt been making his shots, but he hasnt been getting a lot at the same time. rondo takes tons of floaters and jumpshots while ray allen is only left with threes. doc rivers needs to run ray allen some rip hamilton type plays.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.

Return to Boston Celtics