Ray Allen vs. Father time

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,621

Ray Allen vs. Father time 

Post#1 » by dockingsched » Sun May 18, 2008 11:00 pm

which other recent players have gone from all-star to over the hill as fast as ray allen?

i'm thinking gary payton in 2004
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Post#2 » by Troubadour » Sun May 18, 2008 11:15 pm

Shaq, Alonzo Mourning and somehow, Dwyane Wade.

I'm probably going to get a lot of slack for this, but, Dwyane Wade has seen the best days of his career.
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#3 » by ponder276 » Sun May 18, 2008 11:23 pm

agentzerotoTO wrote:Shaq, Alonzo Mourning and somehow, Dwyane Wade.

I'm probably going to get a lot of slack for this, but, Dwyane Wade has seen the best days of his career.

Not a Heat fan, apparently.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,443

Post#4 » by pillwenney » Sun May 18, 2008 11:32 pm

I don't think Ray's problem is that he's past his prime. I mean he might be a little, but this playoff series isn't a fair way to judge him IMO.

He's just in a monumental shooting slump right now. To say that it's because he's declining way faster than any pure shooter ever is pretty short-sighted.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#5 » by mohammed10 » Sun May 18, 2008 11:45 pm

mitchweber wrote:I don't think Ray's problem is that he's past his prime. I mean he might be a little, but this playoff series isn't a fair way to judge him IMO.

He's just in a monumental shooting slump right now. To say that it's because he's declining way faster than any pure shooter ever is pretty short-sighted.

I guess we'll see if Ray-Ray can do better against the Pistons. IMO, I think not.
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,446

Post#6 » by CBS7 » Sun May 18, 2008 11:51 pm

He was good in the first series and in the regular season. This was just a bad series, IMO.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#7 » by BrooklynBulls » Mon May 19, 2008 12:01 am

The word you're looking for is flak. But I'll cut you some slack.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,739

Post#8 » by meatball sub » Mon May 19, 2008 12:26 am

BrooklynBulls wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The word you're looking for is flak. But I'll cut you some slack.

:lol: Well played, sir.
nycballer718
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#9 » by nycballer718 » Mon May 19, 2008 12:56 am

i don't think so

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breakin ... 36301.html
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,769

Post#10 » by floppymoose » Mon May 19, 2008 1:12 am

It's a long season and Ray is pretty old. I guess it depends on what you mean by fast decline. I suppose it's possible he's washed up, but I think it's more likely that he has just reached an age where he needs to have played fewer minutes at this point of the season. He needs to be a 6th or 7th man, like Finley became. If they do that next season, he could be deadly again in limited minutes.
KyleCleric
Rookie
And1: 57

Post#11 » by KyleCleric » Mon May 19, 2008 1:49 am

Ray was having a tough time in this series with the physical play of Wally and the quick double teams, and just never got going. That could be very different when they play the Pistons.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,997
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#12 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon May 19, 2008 1:54 am

Wade did not decline nearly that much, he played a bit gimpy. He went from Flash, back to normal Wade. Ray went from Jesus Shuttlesworth, to Walter Allen... Walter :nonono:
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#13 » by The Rondo Show » Mon May 19, 2008 1:22 pm

mitchweber wrote:I don't think Ray's problem is that he's past his prime. I mean he might be a little, but this playoff series isn't a fair way to judge him IMO.

Agreed. He is declining a bit for sure, but nowhere near as much as some seem to think. He hasn't gone from All-Star to over the hill-- he's gone from All-Star to borderline All-Star/just below All-Star level. He was a very good player this year for the Celtics, he's just way off right now.

I don't see any real reason to believe he's gone from one of the best shooters in the NBA to a terrible one over night (since game 6 of the Atlanta series)? It's an 8 game sample size where he's missing shots he has hit all his life. He'll bounce back, whether it's the Detroit series, the NBA finals or next season.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,420

Re: Ray Allen vs. Father time 

Post#14 » by TrueLAfan » Mon May 19, 2008 4:43 pm

dcash4 wrote:which other recent players have gone from all-star to over the hill as fast as ray allen?

i'm thinking gary payton in 2004

You have to cut Payton a little slack. 2004 was his 14th season; he'd played something like 42 to 43,000 regular seasons and playoff minutes. When you've got a peak as long and consistent as that, a dropoff is expected. And Payton was still pretty good in 2004 (and 2005).

Ray Allen is a good 8000 to 10000 mintues behind Payton in minutes played. And the fact that Ray Ray is a shooting slump now highlights what's been going on for a few years; he's lost some quickness, which affects his D and (interestingly) his ability to pass out of double teams or tough D. he's a much more one dimensional player now than he was 2 or 3 years ago, and when his one dimension isn't going for him, he looks pretty average out there.
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,879

Post#15 » by ronnymac2 » Mon May 19, 2008 6:02 pm

How did Zo suddenly decline? He had a disease, and at his age, most people wouldn't have been able to come back and play a pro sport at a high level like he did. It's a testament to his work ethic and heart that he was able to come back after and play amazing defense in limited action. That's not a decline.

Sorry. couldn't cut u any slack for that one.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,342

Post#16 » by SOUL » Mon May 19, 2008 10:54 pm

Don't think he should of even been an all-star even though he did well in the game.. but he's not THAT BAD.. just sucked really bad this playoffs.. obviously his play is going to decline though.

Return to Player Comparisons