I can't blame Bennett

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

TheUrbanZealot
Junior
And1: 4

Re: I can't blame Bennett 

Post#21 » by TheUrbanZealot » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:00 pm

Sweezo wrote:
TheUrbanZealot wrote:All these people saying they would never root for players just because they are on OKC are just being childish and stubborn.

You have no business calling people names after they've just lost their team. They're free to react how the want...who are you to tell someone their emotional reaction is incorrect?

Saying people are childish and stubborn is "name-calling"? Dude, are you in pre-school? People ARE being childish and stubborn, that is a fact, not some attempt at being malicious. My God, I know the team is gone, but let's not resort to hyper-sensitivity to quell our frustrations.

The reality is that people are acting as though the Pacific Ocean just parted. A basketball team left the city. Calling innocent OKC residents names, abandoning the players who had absolutely nothing to do w/ the move, throwing general insults out at people IS very childish and misdirected. I mean how many times is saying F--- Bennett going to help make things better? We get the point already. Please don't act like you aren't guilty of at least one of the aforementioned...

The point is while my empathy goes to all Seattle fans, myself included (I've been one since I first went to the Coliseum as a 6 yr old in 1982), you have to put things in perspective. While I am not surprised at some of the reactions, I do find them a little disturbing and I would hope that it's just a matter of merely using the internet as a venting portal. If someone's life is seriously affected to the point in which it causes displacement of 1's disposition, emotions, physical well being (all of which people have alluded to on here), then i would hope some serious counsel is on order.
Kane2111
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#22 » by Kane2111 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:37 pm

This will note be a popular post... I apologize in advance.

Sadly I think the OP might be a little right. The move to OKC is obviously very very painful for all the people on this board. But you have to understand that the 10-20 people who frequently post on this board are an aberration. These are the most hardcore of the hardcore Sonic fans. Yes, I know SOS was able to gather several people in displays of support for the team, but ultimately the general population in Seattle just does NOT care about the Sonics. I know that's a painful and disturbing thing to think, but it's a sad fact. Aside from the people on this message board, I personally don't know anyone who really cares about the Sonics moving. I work with dozens of people. I have plenty of friends. I go out to local clubs and bars in Seattle and the U District every weekend. I talk to locals at the pool constantly. I can't think of one single person who I would label a "Sonics fan".

I do, however, have plenty of friends who love the NBA and follow it passionately. But oddly they are Celtic fans, Laker fans, Houston fans, Portland fans, etc. Those people will say things like, "man it's a real bummer about the Sonics leaving", but ultimately those people really don't care. I'll come across Seattle folk who will say, "f oklahoma" in reference to the Sonics leaving, but in all seriousness, these people really do not care. Sad truth, but Seattle is not a sports town. They'll jump on the bandwagon and support a winning team (1996 Sonics was an epic experience. Same with the 1995 Mariners and in some ways the Superbowl contending Seahawks), but people in this town aren't like Detroit, Boston, New York or Philly. There's this aura of sports apathy in this city. The general population will go buy some jerseys late in the season when it looks like a contender is brewing and the local news media jams it down their throat, but the average public would have a hard time even telling you who Kevin Durant is.

To the people on this board... this is in no way representative of YOU. You guys are the EXCEPTION. You guys are obsessed. You wouldn't be on a realgm message board if you weren't obsessed. And for you guys, I share in your pain. But unless all the Sonics fans were converging in some cult somewhere, I certainly haven't been seeing them around Seattle. It may have something to do with all the people who relocated to this city. Most the sports nuts I know weren't raised in Seattle. And it seems like for the Seattle-raised coffee-drinking natives, sports just isn't a priority. It's not ingrained into the culture. This is one of the main reasons our general population let this team go.

As for Oklahoma... I don't really know. I don't know enough about the area. I do know that they have an obsessive sports culture based on the Sooners and that their rabid support of the Hornets is a good indicator that they'll fully embrace this squad. Obviously Bennett/Stern and the NBA had it in their mind that the sports culture and potential fanbase there was intense enough or they wouldn't have pulled all these strings, done all these dirty dealings and robbed Seattle of a franchise they had for 41 years. I have to assume that they are under the assumption that even though Oklahoma is a small market, it has the ability to sustain a professional franchise and they made every effort possible to make it happen. The belief is that they'll end up like the Green Bay Packers of the NBA. And you know what... maybe that rabid sports culture deserves an NBA team as much as an apathetic bunch of Seattleites. I know this is a very unpopular concept and belief on THIS board, but please understand that THIS board is not a true representation of the rest of Seattle.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. OP has a point. It's a sad, frustrating and depressing point, but true.

If I was on a Michael Jackson forum and said, "you know what, folks?... people think Michael Jackson is a freak" the obsessed MJ fans would be extremely defensive. But a Michael Jackson fanpage is not representative of the rest of the world. This forum, Sonicscentral, SOS, etc... are NOT representative of the rest of Seattle. People in Seattle do not care about the Sonics the way you guys do. Even more interesting is that it seems a good 50% of the posts on this board in the last month were from outsiders sending their sympathies.
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#23 » by jenn_gp » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:14 pm

Kane are you actually a Sonics fan? Are you honestly from Seattle?
I can't help but notice the day you joined the forums. I have also been reading your posts, and whenever I do, I feel something fishy about you. Your comments tend to lean towards a pro-OKC side, just to let you know. And I'm not the only one who feels that way. It would be pretty twisted and messed up if you were an OKC fan trying to mess up our board.

Just remember..there is a ZERO tolerance policy between us and the OKC board. I'd hate for you to be banned, your days at RealGM have just started.

Have you ever watched a game of Sonics basketball before? I caught your post on the OK board, saying the Sonics should win 42 games this year. Your reasoning is based off LeBron and Melo's production their first couple of years. I mean, is that logical? Do you think it matters at all what type of players surround Durant? Who's coaching the team? I think if given the squad is the same as it was last year on opening night, this team will be lucky to win 25-30 games.

I don't want you to get defensive about the questions I'm asking. I think they are valid, and I just like to see some honest answers. Urban/Ajonez is easier to believe because he's been here a while. You are a different story since you are so new. Everyone of your posts have been very deflating towards the general mood of the board since you started.
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Post#24 » by Ex-hippie » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:38 pm

jenn_gp wrote:Kane are you actually a Sonics fan? Are you honestly from Seattle?
I can't help but notice the day you joined the forums. I have also been reading your posts, and whenever I do, I feel something fishy about you. Your comments tend to lean towards a pro-OKC side, just to let you know. And I'm not the only one who feels that way. It would be pretty twisted and messed up if you were an OKC fan trying to mess up our board.

Kane is quite plainly an OKC troll and I've been ignoring him/her up to this point.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#25 » by jenn_gp » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:15 pm

Not sure how much this counts, but Charles Barkley believes that part of the move is Bennett's fault. From Realgm Wiretap, courtesy of the Seattle P-I:

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... _travesty/
He went on to be candid about who's to blame for moves such as this.

"They always talk about the players being greedy; the owners are the greedy ones. It's really sad for me. They had the best fans. You were intimidated at that place when you went in there, and it's a great city, too," Barkley added.

I never cared for Barkely as a person or player, but he also had some nice things to say about us too.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#26 » by wiff » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:21 am

Kane is 100% an OKC troll and is enjoying throwing salt on our wounds. Sure would be nice if we could get some of that Zero Tolerance policy BS around here working.

Apparently the OKC board has a "zero tolerance" rule but we Seattle fans keep getting a steamer dropped on our heads.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#27 » by Downtown » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:25 am

SoyBoy, I've said in the past that I rarely agree with anything you say and this is no exception. When history looks back at the timeline for the Seattle Sonics death it will begin with the day that Howard Schultz cast the majority vote to sell the team. There were others that didn't want to sell, and some that wanted to sell but wished to see the team in the fold of local ownership.

I would rather hang him from a tree than get behind those fans that are now cheering him on and making him out as some kind of hero. That makes me sick to my stomach. Honestly.

But Clay Bennett lied to the previous ownership group and smugly went into court and shrugged his shoulders in order to get out of Seattle as fast as he could and the way he makes monetary offers and believes that his wealth somehow puts him above everybody else is far more devious and rotten than the naive sad sack joke that is Howard Schultz.

Clay Bennett has nothing but disdain for you SoyBoy and you actually say you don't blame him? I pity you.
BenjaminH
Assistant Coach

Post#28 » by BenjaminH » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:37 am

wiff wrote:Kane is 100% an OKC troll and is enjoying throwing salt on our wounds. Sure would be nice if we could get some of that Zero Tolerance policy BS around here working.

Apparently the OKC board has a "zero tolerance" rule but we Seattle fans keep getting a steamer dropped on our heads.

At least she (or he) is being civil. Unlike other OKC fans, she really hasn't said anything to warrant a suspension. We can engage her in argument or ignore her.
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Post#29 » by Ex-hippie » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:20 pm

BenjaminH wrote:
wiff wrote:Kane is 100% an OKC troll and is enjoying throwing salt on our wounds. Sure would be nice if we could get some of that Zero Tolerance policy BS around here working.

At least she (or he) is being civil. Unlike other OKC fans, she really hasn't said anything to warrant a suspension. We can engage her in argument or ignore her.

Civil, but not completely forthright. Nobody's buying her claims that she lives in Seattle. Still, you are right that this is not suspension-worthy, and that "we can engage her in argument or ignore her." I'm choosing the latter.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#30 » by jenn_gp » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:33 pm

That reminds me, what happened to the ignore button? What does it look like, or is it not a function of the new RealGM?
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#31 » by Sweezo » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:27 pm

wiff wrote:Apparently the OKC board has a "zero tolerance" rule but we Seattle fans keep getting a steamer dropped on our heads.

If people are thinking Troy McClure was banned because of something relating to the Sonics or OKC...he wasn't. He made a comment on the another board entirely about a different subject entirely.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#32 » by Bulltalk » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:51 am

Who is this "kane" moron? Seattle not a sports town? LOL Last I heard the Seattle Sounders soccer team to make its debut in 2010 has already sold 17,000 season tickets. The Mariners draw an enormous amount of fans to Safeco Field and they pretty much have sucked for awhile now. The Seahawks pretty much sell out every game. The Sonics, even when they've sucked the last hunk of years, consistently drew over 90% capacity to their games, except for the last year.

Get the f*ck out of my face.

Who in the hell is going to want to play ball in OKC? LOL

Troll.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Kane2111
Banned User

Post#33 » by Kane2111 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:43 pm

jenn_gp wrote:Kane are you actually a Sonics fan? Are you honestly from Seattle?

Just remember..there is a ZERO tolerance policy between us and the OKC board. I'd hate for you to be banned, your days at RealGM have just started.

Have you ever watched a game of Sonics basketball before? I caught your post on the OK board, saying the Sonics should win 42 games this year. Your reasoning is based off LeBron and Melo's production their first couple of years. I mean, is that logical? Do you think it matters at all what type of players surround Durant? Who's coaching the team? I think if given the squad is the same as it was last year on opening night, this team will be lucky to win 25-30 games.

I don't want you to get defensive about the questions I'm asking. I think they are valid, and I just like to see some honest answers. Urban/Ajonez is easier to believe because he's been here a while. You are a different story since you are so new. Everyone of your posts have been very deflating towards the general mood of the board since you started.

I joined the forum to offer my support. I'm rather surprised by how paranoid and reactionary you guys have been. I haven't logged on for a few days and all the posts I'm seeing is "Kane is from Oklahoma!!! BURN HIM ALIVE!". Calm down. I live in Lynnwood. I have supported the Sonics since I moved to this region in the early 90s. I practically had season tickets in 1996. I use to skip school so my father and I (we didn't have much money) could sit in line outside the Key Arena ticket office before a game. Back then they would have these "family fun pack" tickets that they sold prior to every game. For 7 dollars you could get a ticket to the game, a voucher for a free hot dog and soft drink. It was a great deal. But the lines were massive and they had limited seats. I probably saw 20-25 games that year. I still have all the game programs.

I've supported them since. Gary Payton was my hero. And i'm not understanding what these posts you are referring to. All these lynchmob reactions are shocking and offensive. I was playing devil's advocate in the post in this thread. In my experience here in Lynnwood (work in Edmonds)... I don't really come across Seattle SuperSonic fans. You guys are the hardcore of the hardcore. I share your pain.
Kane2111
Banned User

Post#34 » by Kane2111 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:44 pm

Bulltalk wrote:Who is this "kane" moron? Seattle not a sports town? LOL Last I heard the Seattle Sounders soccer team to make its debut in 2010 has already sold 17,000 season tickets. The Mariners draw an enormous amount of fans to Safeco Field and they pretty much have sucked for awhile now. The Seahawks pretty much sell out every game. The Sonics, even when they've sucked the last hunk of years, consistently drew over 90% capacity to their games, except for the last year.

Get the f*ck out of my face.

Who in the hell is going to want to play ball in OKC? LOL

Troll.

OH ok. I stand corrected. It's a sports town. Clearly. And yes, I know several Seahawk fans. They became Seahawk fans when they started winning. They act the part though.

I'm offended, hurt and rather shocked that you 10 Sonic fans are dismissing my entirely valid comments as just "OKC! BURN HIM!". I couldn't even point out Oklahoma on a map. I'm all Seattle. I shouldn't have to defend my allegiance to this city just because my views are slightly different from the rest of the mob. It's a forum. Debates and discussion are the basis for a forum. Everyone was ripping the original poster of this thread so I felt that It would be good to offer up a valid and logic-based post that supports the original posters argument. I prefaced my post with, "this will be an unpopular sentiment", but I didn't expect the outright dismissal of my comments as "OKC!!! BURN HIM!!"

Ease up on the witch hunt.
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Post#35 » by Ex-hippie » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:03 am

Kane - your persecution complex is as unconvincing as everything else you've said. Professing horror is just ridiculous. No one's saying "BURN HIM!" You'd have to be relevant for people to say that. We don't care enough about you to form this "lynch mob" that you pathetically talk about. We're more amused at how silly and useless you are.
Kane2111
Banned User

Post#36 » by Kane2111 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:34 am

Ex-hippie wrote:Kane - your persecution complex is as unconvincing as everything else you've said. Professing horror is just ridiculous. No one's saying "BURN HIM!" You'd have to be relevant for people to say that. We don't care enough about you to form this "lynch mob" that you pathetically talk about. We're more amused at how silly and useless you are.

hippie im mortified by this conduct. Lets keep the topic on the Seattle SuperSonics and stray away from all these disruptive personal attacks being lobbied towards me.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#37 » by Sweezo » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:14 am

"Mortified?" My God...overreact much?
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#38 » by jenn_gp » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:57 pm

Kane2111 wrote:I joined the forum to offer my support. I'm rather surprised by how paranoid and reactionary you guys have been. I haven't logged on for a few days and all the posts I'm seeing is "Kane is from Oklahoma!!! BURN HIM ALIVE!". Calm down.

I thought my post was very calm...I was simply just asking you a few questions and warned you about the zero tolerance policy we have going on between us and OKC.

And the reaction from us hasn't been as dramatic as you think. If I recall, several people said they had been ignoring you up to this point. I was trying, but each time you posted, your tone became quite clear.

As Sweezo said, move on. I honestly don't know how people are going to take you seriously after this though.
Kane2111
Banned User

Post#39 » by Kane2111 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:41 pm

jenn_gp wrote:
Kane2111 wrote:I joined the forum to offer my support. I'm rather surprised by how paranoid and reactionary you guys have been. I haven't logged on for a few days and all the posts I'm seeing is "Kane is from Oklahoma!!! BURN HIM ALIVE!". Calm down.

I thought my post was very calm...I was simply just asking you a few questions and warned you about the zero tolerance policy we have going on between us and OKC.

And the reaction from us hasn't been as dramatic as you think. If I recall, several people said they had been ignoring you up to this point. I was trying, but each time you posted, your tone became quite clear.

As Sweezo said, move on. I honestly don't know how people are going to take you seriously after this though.

Jenn. I'm not personally pointing out anyone. I know that one poster in particular called me a toothless, uneducated OKC and I should "go back to OKC". Another guy just started a thread (that is locked, thankfully) basically cussing me out for no apparent reason. I really don't get it. It seems like there is a lot of pent up frustration and anger and everyone is looking for someone to attack. I just don't appreciate being made a villain for a slightly opposing view to the mob. I'm suffering through this just like everyone else, but I'm taking the moral high ground here. There is a LOT for us to be appreciative for.

I have a short story that I'd like to share with everyone that might make everyone feel a small bit better. It sure as heck has made me feel better about this whole mess. It's along the lines of this thread's spirit so I think it's a relevant to our discussion.

The day after the Boston Celtics absolutely demolished the Lakers in embarrassing fashion, I went out with a bunch of my friends to a bar called "Time Out" in Kirkland (we were on the east side and it was the only place with people in the middle of the week). My friends are all NBA fans. A few of them were wearing Celtic gear. They thought it would be fun to go out to the bar dressed in Celtic gear and gloat about the victory. We bumped into a few Laker fans at the bar which made for some light-hearted fun faux fighting. In the middle of the celebration, some old man came up to my buddy. My buddy happened to be wearing a Paul Pierce jersey and was giddy from the victory.

The old man went right up to my buddy wearing the Boston jersey and said to him, "I still say Cincinnati is better".... my friend looked confused and gave a little courtesy laugh for what he perceived was just a silly/dump nonsensical joke. But the old man had a sly little smirk on his face and repeated it again. "I'm serious. I still say Cincinnati is better than Boston". At this point you could tell my friend was thinking, "haha... crazy old drunk is obviously a fan of the Reds and wants to pretend his favorite baseball team is better than my Celtics". At this point I started laughing too, because I knew what the old man was trying to do. The old man looked at me and said, "Do you know what I'm talking about? Cincinnati is way better". And I says to him, "Of course. I hear you. The Royals would kick the Celtic's butt!" The oldtimer looked shocked that some young whippersnapper actually knew what he was talking about. Next, he looked at me and tested my historical bball knowledge further... "Best point guard ever", he said. I responded with, "Oscar Robertson... guy averaged a triple double. He was like LeBron before LeBron". The old man got a big ol grin on his face, shook my hand and walked away pleased. My young Seattle friend was still dumfounded and confused.

I've felt better about the Sonic's situation ever since. The point is, the Seattle SuperSonics may be effectively as dead as the Cincinnati Royals, but they will continue to live on in our hearts and memories. They might cease to exist... that team in Oklahoma might own the identity as much as the Sacramento Kings currently own the identity of the "The Big O"'s former team, but that will not kill those memories. 30-40 years from now we can stumble drunkenly into a bar after a Chicago Bulls title, walk up to some young whippersnapper and tell him, "I still say Seattle is better. Best defensive point guard ever". They might look at us with perplexed looks, but we'll know.... SuperSonics. Gary Payton. 1996 will live on forever. We can look up at the sky with a big ol grin and wink at the stars. We know the real deal. The franchise might be dead, but not to us. And that's all that really matters. I'll always cherish my time at Key Arena in the mid 90s. I still have a Squatch poster somewhere in my closet. That fact that Seattle will inevitably be a forgotten footnote in the history of the NBA doesn't matter to me. It doesn't take away those experiences from me. GP Glove with the steal... driving into the lane (best finisher in the NBA) followed by the sound of tire tracks screeching. Det draining a silky smooth shot. Sam Perkins with his infamous line drives. In the midst of a comeback the jumbotron showing Kemp bellowing, "The Sonics Baby!!! YEaaah... YEAAAAH..... YEAAAAAAH!!!! (which, incidentially, they played some years later in the middle of a Sonic/Blazers game that I attended while Kemp sat on the Portland bench festering in a drug-enduced sulk. Funniest moment of my entire Sonic fandom -- until the Blazers ended up putting Shawn into the game and he inexplicably rattled off 11 straight points to massive cheers from the Seattle crowd.). I'll always remember those amazing moments. They will linger on forever.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#40 » by wiff » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:33 pm

Kane2111 wrote:I joined the forum to offer my support.

You know what's funny about this? All the regulars think you are a troll. Now that must be one hell of a way to show support.

I guess it's just me who thinks it a little ironic that you happened to join a basketball forum to talk about the Seattle Sonics on the day they were officially moving to OKC.

Let me say this now Kane. THANK YOU, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!!!

I'm not sure if I could have made it through this last week and a half without your unbridled support for the fans of the former NBA team known as the Seattle Supersonics.

You have really been a blessing to the forum.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball