ImageImageImage

C's keeping caproom open in 2010 for run at Lebron, Dwade?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

GonzoLays
Assistant Coach
And1: 185
Location: The strongest man is he who stands alone in the face of oppression and censorship.

C's keeping caproom open in 2010 for run at Lebron, Dwade? 

Post#1 » by GonzoLays » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:05 pm

By the summer of 2010, the only players CURRENTLY with a guaranteed contract for the Cs are Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and Kendrick Perkins. Total monies owed to those three players: 44 million. Probable cap number for 2010: 62 million. 18 million in free cap space. Scenario with the team giving Rondo 5th year qualfying number (3.8 million): 14 million in cap space.

Free agents of the C's that summer:

1 Ray Allen 19 millioin off the books
2 Brian Scalabrine 3 million off the books
3 Patrick O'bryant 2 million off the books
4 Tony Allen 2.5 million off the books
5 Eddie House 2.9 million off the books
6 JR Giddens 1 million off the books

Total: Roughly 30 million

I'm just sayin'.
Dave_From_NB
Starter
And1: 1,535

Re: C's keeping caproom open in 2010 for run at Lebron, Dwade? 

Post#2 » by Dave_From_NB » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:27 pm

If Lebron leaves Cleveland, the primary reason will be because they were unsuccessful building a team around him.

So if you strip the roster bare for the Celtics to gain cap space, why would Lebron come here to lose with a shell of a roster at less than maximum salary? You're sitting there with 5 players under contract and would need to pad the roster with whatever scrubs would sign for veteran minimum. That's not going to pull James in.

Maybe the Celtics could position themselves to be players in the James sweepstakes, but it'll only be by getting rid of some or all of the Big 3 for players that will complement James and make him a winner here. That would mean shelving the run at the championship over the next two years, which just doesn't seem likely.
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#3 » by Banks2Pierce » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:26 am

Garnett, Rondo, Pierce, and Perkins aren't enough to lure Lebron here?
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,743

Post#4 » by meatball sub » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:29 am

In my dreams.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#5 » by canman1971 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:30 am

Not sure if your numbers are correct, but even if they are, 14 mil/year won't be enough to get them.
Hydroponic3385
Rookie
And1: 138

Post#6 » by Hydroponic3385 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:47 am

44.7 million is actually a lot on the books compared to numerous other teams for 2010 (Cleveland for example currently has just Hickson, Gibson, and likely West; New Jersey, Minnesota, and many others have way less; etc.). Boston could definitely get a very nice free agent that year, but I highly doubt they have a shot at the top tier free agents (James, Wade, Bosh, Amare, etc.).
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#7 » by Celtics_Champs » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:05 am

Lebron is not coming here. In fact he will be a rival when he goes to a ny based team.

But there are a lot of guys who are FA's that year.

Dirk
Joe Johnson
Rip hamilton
Tracy McGrady
AK 47
Chris Bosh
Dwayne wade

Who knows who (if any) would take less for a chance at a ring.
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager
And1: 2,991

Post#8 » by CelticFaninLBC » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:07 am

Seems Ainge is angling to either sign a free agent in 2010 or trade some of the expiring contracts in 2009. Hence I can't see them signing anyone for more than 2 years..

Doubtful they can get Wade or LeBron in 2010, but they should be in position to get someone good.
Bluewhale
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#9 » by Bluewhale » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:35 am

Flexibility. Flexibility. Flexibility.

Ainge won't tie his hands for the BEST FA summer in the history.

And even we missed it(unlikely). We can still extend Ray and Rondo at reasonable price. And shoot 2011 FA(Durant) and 2012 FA(Howard)
Jimmy103
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#10 » by Jimmy103 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:09 am

I love it

LeBron won't want to come play with Rondo-Pierce-Garnett-Perkins

He'd rather play with Harris-Vince-Yi-Boone or Duhon-Gallinari-Randolph-Curry

Give me a break
Jimmy103
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#11 » by Jimmy103 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:10 am

Plus Boston could point out to LeBron that the following 2 seasons he could add yet another superstar as Pierce-Garnett come off in consecutive years. Not exactly a shabby situation for The King.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#12 » by Celtics_Champs » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:22 am

^^^ Well this is what I imagine bron is thinking.

Chance of winning

or

Face of new york basketball
money... a lot of money
Commercial Deals
Jay-z friendship or whatever that is.

Plus a trio of LeBron, Devin Harris, and Vince carter is not that bad a team. Better then the cleveland team that went to the finals in my opinion.
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#13 » by Datruth345 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:34 am

lebron is not coming
"...That, Mr. James, is etched in stone.” - Bill Russell
Bluewhale
General Manager

Post#14 » by Bluewhale » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:44 am

Jimmy103 wrote:I love it

Give me a break

The beauty of Nets is that they can sign TWO SUPER STAR. How about
Harris-Vince-James-WHO_care-Dirk? And they have Vince's salary off next season to try Durant.
LarryBrdismyDad
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#15 » by LarryBrdismyDad » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:54 am

GonzoLays wrote:By the summer of 2010, the only players CURRENTLY with a guaranteed contract for the Cs are Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and Kendrick Perkins. Total monies owed to those three players: 44 million. Probable cap number for 2010: 62 million. 18 million in free cap space. Scenario with the team giving Rondo 5th year qualfying number (3.8 million): 14 million in cap space.

Free agents of the C's that summer:

1 Ray Allen 19 millioin off the books
2 Brian Scalabrine 3 million off the books
3 Patrick O'bryant 2 million off the books
4 Tony Allen 2.5 million off the books
5 Eddie House 2.9 million off the books
6 JR Giddens 1 million off the books

Total: Roughly 30 million

I'm just sayin'.

First of all we are going to extend Rondo. We aren't going to make him play for a one yr qualifying offer and then become an unrestricted FA in 2011. Kirk Hinrich received a 5 yr 47.5 mil dollar contract and I think Rondo is already better then him. Devin Harris signed a 5 yr 42 mil dollar extension and it could be argued that Rondo has done more then he has in his career. I figure Rondo will get anywhere from 40 to 50 mil in a 5 yr deal. Let's say the first yr of his deal Rondo gets 8 mil a yr that put us at 52.7 mil in total salaries. If the salary cap came in at 64 mil, we would have roughly 11.3 mil in cap space. To sign someone we would have to renounce our rights to Allen, Scal, House, TA, POB, and Pruitt. We would also only be able to sign Powe to a one yr deal in the summer of 2009 if we want max cap space. I think this is all reasonable so far. Here are some guys I would target assuming that Lebron, Wade, Bosh aren't possible to get because of money.

1. Joe Johnson - After playing in ATL for years I figure Johnson will want to get the hell out of town. Does anybody like playing there? They have a horrible fan base and an even worse ownership group. I think Johnson is very likely going to be leaving in the summer of 2010. He will only be 29 yrs old two summers from now and I would love to sign him to a 4 yr deal. He currently makes 14 mil a yr so he wouldn't be taking a large paycut. I think by the time hes 29 yrs old he will want to win especially after all the years of losing in ATL. He killed us in the first round this yr and I think he is a very good player. He would bring way more to the table then Ray Allen as hes a better slasher, passer, ball handler, rebounder, and is way more athletic. He is also a solid defender.

2. Tracy McGrady - In the summer of 2010 TMac will be 31 yrs old. That is currently the same age as Pierce and we all saw how great he was last season. I would only give Mcgrady a 3 yr deal because of all of his injury history. I think he has got a bum rap for being a losing player. He played his ass off the past few seasons and didn't go anywhere in the playoffs because of the players around him. Not because of his perfroamnce. It is not his fault that Yao gets hurt a lot too or that their role players simply aren't good enough to win a round in the West. It also wasn't his fault in Orlando that Hill could never stay healthy. McGrady does everything well and is a perennial all star in this league. He is currently one of the top wing players in the NBA IMO. The only guys I would rather have then him on the wing right now are Pierce, Kobe, Lebron, and a healthy Wade. I think if he doesn't get out of the first round within the next 2 yrs that he will want to get the hell out of town. Houston doesn't really have much of a future as they made one of the dumbest trades in the past 10 yrs trading Battier for Rudy Gay :rofl2: Mcgrady may want to come to a winning team and team up with Pierce and KG for a shot at a ring. He has already made tons of money in endorsements and yearly salary (he is making 48 mil the next 2 yrs) that he could afford to take a paycut. The only reason I have Johnson higher is because I think he is more likely to leave ATL as well as because McGrady may be to beat up by 2010 to still be playing at an elite level while Johnson will only be 29.

3. Michael Redd - (18 mil Player Option) This kid is basically a Ray Allen clone. He is one of the elite shooters in the NBA and is great coming off of screens. He is a scoring machine just like Allen was in Mil but neither of their teams ever win anything. In 2010, he will be 31 yrs old and will still have atleast 3 yrs left. I think he actually handles the ball better then Allen does too. His defense is pretty mediocre to bad but I think he could improve a lot in Boston with Thibodeau in his ear and KG and Perk behind him. He would be taking a paycut to come here but after never really playing for anything in Mil he may want to play for a winner.

These are the only guys I could see coming here and even these guys are longshots. I see no way that LBJ, Wade, and Bosh come here when we can't even offer them the Max. Also, Ginobili I won't want by then as he will be 33 and has a lot of tread on his tires. Same story with Richard Hamilton as he will be 34 yrs old with a lot of playoffs games on his wheels. Tyson Chandler I would love but isn't realistic with CP3 and West still in NO. That team will win a title within the next 5 yrs IMO. Dirk will be 32 yrs old and plays the same position as KG. He also doesn't play defense and isn't tough. I doubt he opts out of a 21 mil dollar deal too as he is tight with Cuban. Cuban once said he was the best player in the league :crazy: :laugh: Amare Stoudamire plays in beautiful Phoenix and I doubt he leaves regardless of how bad or good they are by then. Pho should have cap space with Shaq and Nash coming off the books. Amare also plays the 4 which is where KG plays and I doubt he takes a paycut.
Hydroponic3385
Rookie
And1: 138

Post#16 » by Hydroponic3385 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:58 am

Bluewhale wrote:
Jimmy103 wrote:I love it

Give me a break

Harris-Vince-James-WHO_care-Dirk? And they have Vince's salary off next season to try Durant.

The Cavs can sing two superstars (including Lebron) and will be able to much easier than any other team. Right now they'll have about 11 million for West, Boobie, and Hickson and that's it. Plus they can go over the cap with Lebron by signing the other superstar first. They can also offer Lebron more than any other team, he'll be in his hometown which he said he wants to play for, and don't worry he'll still rack up as many in endorsements as he could desire. So don't forget the Cavs when you mention the Nets and their chances.
Bluewhale
General Manager

Post#17 » by Bluewhale » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:26 am

Hydroponic3385 wrote:
Bluewhale wrote:

The Cavs can sing two superstars (including Lebron) and will be able to much easier than any other team. Right now they'll have about 11 million for West, Boobie, and Hickson and that's it. Plus they can go over the cap with Lebron by signing the other superstar first. They can also offer Lebron more than any other team, he'll be in his hometown which he said he wants to play for, and don't worry he'll still rack up as many in endorsements as he could desire. So don't forget the Cavs when you mention the Nets and their chances.

Actually, the Cavs cannot go over the CAP with James by signinning the other superstar first. Check the CBA board if you like.

Cavs can offer longer and higher rise in contract for James. But since James won't really worry about the SECURITY at all at age 26. So the more year doesn't matter. The difference in the rise of salary is marginal for his income, to be honest.

The true advantage of Cavs is that they can sign THREE SUPER STAR at 2010 since they only commit 4 M of salary now, as long as they manage the CAP carefully.
Bluewhale
General Manager

Post#18 » by Bluewhale » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:01 am

LarryBrdismyDad wrote:First of all we are going to extend Rondo.

I love Rondo. But if it's James or Rondo, I will drive Rondo to airport by myself.
Dave_From_NB
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#19 » by Dave_From_NB » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:05 pm

Banks2Pierce wrote:Garnett, Rondo, Pierce, and Perkins aren't enough to lure Lebron here?

Garnett and Pierce are both in declining years, you're talking about 2010 when another 2 years of roadwear will be on them. Knock 5 ppg and 2 rpg off each, and that's what you've got going into the 2010 season. 2 more seasons of extended playoffs is going to accelerate the decline, as compared to the relatively short seasons they had until this year. On this board, we'll be discussing the values of their expiring contracts by that time I would predict, not their liklihood of being all-star selections.

Perkins frankly isn't going to sway anybody. Perhaps Rondo is an elite PG by then, but he'll be the only asset the C's likely have who is going to be a top tier player with Lebron for a number of years.

The entire remainder of the roster will be padded with late first and second round youngsters, and although there may be some nice role players there, the chances of us dragging future all-stars out of 2'nd round picks is pretty unlikely.

Lebron is a great player, I'd love to have him on the Celts. But I think the team is not well positioned at all to get him.
Bluewhale
General Manager

Post#20 » by Bluewhale » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:52 pm

I think you underestimate KG. If there is anyone who could be as longevity as Karl Malone, who lead the team to Final at age 34 and 35, it's KG.

Pierce is likely to be in the decline, though. But I think Pierce would be still a borderline All Star at 2010. KG+Pierce can match any other possible combo in 2010 to attract James. I didn't say this is the no-brainer for James, but it is definitely a package qualified on his table to review.

The only problem is that we may need to give up Rondo to clear enough CAP space.

Return to Boston Celtics