And1: 0

Post#41 » by lpsevier » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:13 am

Well that was fun.

See you guys soon :lol:
eviL
Lead Assistant
And1: 12

Post#42 » by eviL » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:33 am

Package Heilman with whoever else and use Smith as our set up guy.
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#43 » by mjhp911 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:56 am

DDV wrote:last year was an abberation well always be the braves bytches

Oh well... time to wait for October and the Knicks season! :lol:

How does Atlanta do it? I had this strange sensation about the Wild Card being our avenue to the postseason again before the season began (and between 85 and 90 wins). But I really did think our pitching would be our weak link. We're not bad. We're good, in fact. It's just that the Braves might be very good again.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,226

Post#44 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:13 am

mjhp911 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

How does Atlanta do it? I had this strange sensation about the Wild Card being our avenue to the postseason again before the season began (and between 85 and 90 wins). But I really did think our pitching would be our weak link. We're not bad. We're good, in fact. It's just that the Braves might be very good again.

This team is better than 85-90 wins. Offense is sick. Pitching is good, Bullpen is very good (despite what happened today). Obviously, I could be wrong, and that could happen.

But Alou is hitting - Green is hitting. Reyes is lights out. Beltran is lights out. Wright is too good not to produce - even if Wright hits 300 and gives us 10-15 homers (his worst season) - that's still good.

If/when we bring up our guys from the minors - we should have good depth there too.

If Pelf doesn't make it as a starter right away, CHan Ho will replace him. Maine & Perez & Glavin & El Duque all look good. The Braves are a good team, well managed, well put together, but the Braves alone won't cause the mets to win less than 90 games. We've got a great ballclub. (my opinion ofcourse - I could be wrong).

We also have Mota available after game 50 and we have enough depth to pull off a beneficial trade should we desire.

Don't let some losses to the braves turn us into disbelievers.
Go NY Go NY Go
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,576

Post#45 » by Lord Commander » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:58 pm

I'm not ready to concede that yet. I think they were very lucky with a couple wins so far. As I said on their board when someone said that they "own the Mets," there are 13 games remaining - lets not be so hasty. They are not a deep team at all - at least not as deep as we are. One major injury to say, Larry who's injury prone, can reverse fortunes in a hurry. I think better things are to come for us: Pedro's return, Wright finanlly starting to hit (man, does he suck right now), Delgado finding his groove. Also despite own great pitching so far, I expect, barring injury, for El Duque, Maine, and Ollie to get better.
Lord Commander
Head Coach

Post#46 » by Lord Commander » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:46 pm

Am I the only sick bastard or was anyone else hoping that McCanns broke his hand trying to bunt yesterday? :lol:
eviL
Lead Assistant
And1: 12

Post#47 » by eviL » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:05 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:mjhp911 wrote:
-= original quote snipped =-

Oh well... time to wait for October and the Knicks season!

This team is better than 85-90 wins. Offense is sick. Pitching is good, Bullpen is very good (despite what happened today). Obviously, I could be wrong, and that could happen.

But Alou is hitting - Green is hitting. Reyes is lights out. Beltran is lights out. Wright is too good not to produce - even if Wright hits 300 and gives us 10-15 homers (his worst season) - that's still good.

If/when we bring up our guys from the minors - we should have good depth there too.

If Pelf doesn't make it as a starter right away, CHan Ho will replace him. Maine & Perez & Glavin & El Duque all look good. The Braves are a good team, well managed, well put together, but the Braves alone won't cause the mets to win less than 90 games. We've got a great ballclub. (my opinion ofcourse - I could be wrong).

We also have Mota available after game 50 and we have enough depth to pull off a beneficial trade should we desire.

Great post, this is something everyone should follow.
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by lpsevier » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:27 pm

ToHoleWithSoul wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'm not ready to concede that yet. I think they were very lucky with a couple wins so far. As I said on their board when someone said that they "own the Mets,"

Wasn't me, I don't make statements like that.

there are 13 games remaining - lets not be so hasty. They are not a deep team at all - at least not as deep as we are. One major injury to say, Larry who's injury prone, can reverse fortunes in a hurry.

Very true, but the same can be said for any team. Chipper is our best hitter, assuming you think Reyes is yours, an injury to him could be relatively catastrophic.

I think better things are to come for us: Pedro's return, Wright finanlly starting to hit (man, does he suck right now), Delgado finding his groove.

Obviously pure speculation, but I'm quite sure those things will happen. I think your starting rotation will prove to be your weakness as the season progresses, even though your start would tend to disagree with me. Wright is going to hit, and its feasible that Delgado has a less productive year than last, year - but he will certainly pick up the pace from where he is now.

Also despite own great pitching so far, I expect, barring injury, for El Duque, Maine, and Ollie to get better.

Also speculation, and I 100% don't agree.

All in all, I think our teams are pretty evenly matched.

Its going to be an interesting year, and I think it comes down to the wire.
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by lpsevier » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:28 pm

ToHoleWithSoul wrote:Am I the only sick bastard or was anyone else hoping that McCanns broke his hand trying to bunt yesterday? :lol:

Well now that wasn't very nice.

You should enjoy watching the best catcher not named Mauer play this wonderful game of baseball :wink:
Lord Commander
Head Coach

Post#50 » by Lord Commander » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:35 pm

lpsevier wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Also speculation, and I 100% don't agree.

All in all, I think our teams are pretty evenly matched.

Its going to be an interesting year, and I think it comes down to the wire.

Don't get me wrong, last year was dull running away with the division and kicking the crap out of everyone. I mean, I still want to win 97 but it would be great drama if the next team [insert "Braves" here] was less than 10 games behind us. :lol:
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by lpsevier » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:23 pm

Don't get me wrong, last year was dull running away with the division and kicking the crap out of everyone. I mean, I still want to win 97 but it would be great drama if the next team [insert "Braves" here] was less than 10 games behind us. :lol:

Dude you think THATS dull?!?

Trying beating the **** out of everyone for 14 STRAIGHT YEARS!

:D
Lord Commander
Head Coach

Post#52 » by Lord Commander » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:47 pm

Dude you think THATS dull?!?

Trying beating the **** out of everyone for 14 STRAIGHT YEARS!

:D

I could be wrong but you never finished 12 games up on any second place team. And while we're on the subject, how in the hell do you win 14 straight division championships and only come away with one WS championship? I've always wanted to ask a Brave fan that question but you're the first one I've ever been civil with :lol:
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#53 » by mjhp911 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:56 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:

Yes, I was trying to say we're better than I initially thought we were (though I still think if Omar doesn't shore up our starting pitching by the deadline and get us a frontline starter, we could start breaking down late), but the Braves might be a tad better. So much so that even if we win 90+ games, we'd have to win the Wild Card to get in (and the Braves always stink in the postseason anyway). I'm just so annoyed that they're back in contention again to possibly mess things up for us.
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by lpsevier » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:04 pm

I could be wrong but you never finished 12 games up on any second place team. And while we're on the subject, how in the hell do you win 14 straight division championships and only come away with one WS championship? I've always wanted to ask a Brave fan that question but you're the first one I've ever been civil with :lol:

2002 - 19 games in front of the 2nd Place Expos
1998 - 18 games in front of the 2nd Place Mets
1995 - 21 games in front of the 2nd Place Mets

So yeah, its happened a few times
8)

Although I cherish the one world series Championship, the rest of the years became pretty frustrating.

It pretty much boils down to not being hot at the right time, relief pitching, and luck - alot of bad luck.
Lord Commander
Head Coach

Post#55 » by Lord Commander » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:14 pm

2002 - 19 games in front of the 2nd Place Expos
1998 - 18 games in front of the 2nd Place Mets
1995 - 21 games in front of the 2nd Place Mets

So yeah, its happened a few times
8)

Although I cherish the one world series Championship, the rest of the years became pretty frustrating.

It pretty much boils down to not being hot at the right time, relief pitching, and luck - alot of bad luck.

Right! Guess I wasn't paying attention back then - the dark years. I guess we weren't the first dominant regular season team not to win the WS. You guys have a patent on that.
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by lpsevier » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:29 pm

Right! Guess I wasn't paying attention back then - the dark years. I guess we weren't the first dominant regular season team not to win the WS. You guys have a patent on that.

So how's life on the wagon?

:rofl:

Return to New York Mets