Corey Brewer for AK

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,088

Corey Brewer for AK 

Post#1 » by jazzfan1971 » Sun Oct 5, 2008 8:16 pm

Jazz trade
-------------
AK
Fesenko
Almond

Minny trade
------------
Brewer
Collins
Cardinal

Why for Utah: Utah gets cap relief and a good young player to develop in Brewer. This should help them resign Boozer and company.

Why for Minny: Minny gets a talented 3/4 in AK along with two promising young guys in Fes and Almond. This should help them compete for a playoff slot in the talented West.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Re: Corey Brewer for AK 

Post#2 » by loserX » Sun Oct 5, 2008 8:23 pm

I don't think the Wolves are anywhere near enough to competing for a playoff spot that they would take on Kirilenko's contract. They are the wrong team to be seeking cap relief-type contracts from, and I suspect the only player in the deal that really interests them is Fesenko.

(Also, the thought of the Collins boys together on my team makes me shudder :D )
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#3 » by BrooklynBulls » Sun Oct 5, 2008 8:31 pm

I think Minny should be uninterested in this deal, despite the high value. Love/Jefferson are sure to eat up most if not all of the minutes at the 4, not to mention Craig Smith, Ryan Gomes need minutes there as well. Mike Miller seems to be the defacto 3 there, and I'm not sure AK is better than he is.

Minnesota seems to be clearing cap for 2010, just as everyone else, and AK interferes with that. Not only that, but they're not in the process of winning now anyway. Miller came along simply as extra value for trading down for the player they REALLY wanted in Love.

If you're thinking of moving Kiri, I think Cleveland, with a Wally+incentives package, is the only real candidate. With everyone tightening their belts for 2010, and Utah pretty much needing pure expirings and cheap contracts for AK, its a tough fit to manage. I say pure expirings b/c I think Boozer will command more than 12.3 million in his first year, and with fewer than 13 players under contract and ALREADY most likely in the tax, the Jazz simply have got to shed some salary somehow someway. And this doesn't even take into account Milsap, who they seem sure to lose unless AK's contract is almost completely liquidated.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#4 » by ecuhus1981 » Sun Oct 5, 2008 9:03 pm

See, I can't see the Cavs being interested in AK7 unless Wallace is headed out.

But in any case, 1971, what would ever make you think that the Wolves would want to add Kirilenko? This trade is terrible for a rebuilding team. Think about it: they have been trying to pawn off Jaric for years, and as soon as they do, hey acquire Andrei??? Makes zero sense, plus they are already LOADED with forwards who DO fit their youth movement, including Corey.

Make no mistake, the value is pretty much staggering (Kyrylo and Morris are quality youngsters). It's just that MIN shouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#5 » by Basti » Sun Oct 5, 2008 10:22 pm

I really really like AK47 as a player but I don't think he'd fit in Minny. simple as that.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by jazzfan1971 » Sun Oct 5, 2008 10:25 pm

Well, if the value is good, but, the fit is poor, perhaps a 3 way would work better.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#7 » by shrink » Sun Oct 5, 2008 10:40 pm

Good analysis by previous posters. I'd also say the initial trade probably has the value right as well.

I onlt posted to point out that if anyone read on FoxSports that MIN was trying to move Corey Brewer, it probably isn't true. FoxSports simply quoted an open-source website called "Bleacher Report" that had some fan write an article on what he thought was going on the conference. As fans of RealGM can understand, when you have a site where naybody can post, you're going to get a share of bad information. In fact, this very story talked about Brewer being squeezed for playing time because of guys like Kirk Snyder, who isn't even on the team this year.

Nobody on our boards has heard anything about the front office trying to trade Brewer.
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#8 » by ponder276 » Sun Oct 5, 2008 11:20 pm

Very good value for a contending team, but it doesn't make a ton of sense for Minny. Not only are they in more of a "rebuild" than "win now" mode, but Jefferson and Love are already natural PFs, and AK is easily at his best at PF as well. A 3-way could maybe work.
shrink
RealGM

Post#9 » by shrink » Mon Oct 6, 2008 12:30 am

loserX wrote:(Also, the thought of the Collins boys together on my team makes me shudder :D )

I don't remember the deal, but a few months back there was some proposal out there that re-united the Twins. Maybe I'm only intrigued because I live in Minneapolis-Saint Paul, but even if pairing the two didn't improve them with sibling rivalry (nobody wants to be the "bad" twin), it seems like there'd be some marketing potential there.

Anyone remember the deal?

Have identical twins ever been on the same NBA team before?
shrink
RealGM

Post#10 » by shrink » Mon Oct 6, 2008 12:39 am

Unnecessary internet info:

At the 1992 Olympic Games, U.S. synchronized swimmers and identical twins Karen and Sarah Josephson won gold in the duet. Ironically that same year, Canada won silver with a team of identical twins, Penny and Vicky Vilagos.

Hmm .. maybe there's a marketing angle. Collins brothers vs Lopez brothers in synchronized swimming bit. NBA Action -- catch it.
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#11 » by loserX » Mon Oct 6, 2008 12:44 am

shrink wrote:Hmm .. maybe there's a marketing angle. Collins brothers vs Lopez brothers in synchronized swimming bit. NBA Action -- catch it.

As long as they're not trying to play basketball, I support the Collinses in whatever venture they choose to pursue.

On the other hand, maybe the twin thing has some value. We could swap them in and out of the game without the referees noticing, just like pro wrestling. "Hey, I thought you fouled out!" "Not me, ref."
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#12 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Oct 6, 2008 1:41 pm

shrink wrote:
loserX wrote:(Also, the thought of the Collins boys together on my team makes me shudder :D )

I don't remember the deal, but a few months back there was some proposal out there that re-united the Twins. Maybe I'm only intrigued because I live in Minneapolis-Saint Paul, but even if pairing the two didn't improve them with sibling rivalry (nobody wants to be the "bad" twin), it seems like there'd be some marketing potential there.

Anyone remember the deal?

Have identical twins ever been on the same NBA team before?

Yep, that was me. I have an affinity for cutesy trades, if you haven't noticed.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#13 » by I_Like_Dirt » Mon Oct 6, 2008 5:17 pm

Geez, I guess I'm in the minority here but I think this would be an excellent deal for the Wolves. Yes, they are rebuilding but AK is still only 27. They would have a solid frontcourt of:

Jefferson/Love
Kirilenko/Love
Miller/Gomes

That's pretty damn good, and Smith gives them even more depth.

They'd still be a mess in the backcourt, but they already are a mess back there. If Foye, McCants and/or Telfair could ever become solid rotation players or better I think that they'd be a really talented team.
Bucket! Bucket!
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#14 » by deeney0 » Mon Oct 6, 2008 5:27 pm

I want to at least see what Corey can do this year. He's got a good head on his shoulders and good physical tools. Guys in his mold have all taken several years to mature - Prince, Pippen, Posey to name a few. He needs to work on his offensive decision making and hit open shots at a decent clip this year, and I think he can do that. Word is he's bulked up a bit over the offseason- he's always going to be a toothpick, but every little bit helps him get pushed around a little less.

Sure, I'd love AK on this team, but not with that contract. Wolves aren't only trading away Brewer in this deal, they're trading away their ability to sign a top FA in 2010.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#15 » by john2jer » Mon Oct 6, 2008 7:35 pm

What if Mark Madsen was included in the deal? It's an extra couple mil cleared. Yeah it lessens what we can do in 2010, but I think we're looking at a 2nd or 3rd tier star anyways.

At work so I can't run the numbers exactyly, but if you add Madsen to the original deal and maybe a protected 2011 1st round pick from Utah going to Minnesota to make up for the money being paid AK47?

C - Jefferson/Hoffa
PF - Love/Smith
SF - Kirilenko/Gomes
SG - Miller/McCants
PG - Foye/Telfair

Loves outside game improves the spacing. AK's help defense makes up for Jefferson and Loves short comings on defense. AK can run the floor for Love. I don't hate it.

shrink, you mind figuring out what we'd be looking at for available cap dollars in the summer of 2010?
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#16 » by john2jer » Mon Oct 6, 2008 7:40 pm

Nevermind, quick math says this puts us at 60mil, with the cap in the neighborhood of 65, once our draft picks are signed, we have 0 dollars left. Why in the world is AK getting paid 17mil? That's insane. Is McHale an advisor for the Jazz?
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by jazzfan1971 » Mon Oct 6, 2008 10:03 pm

I think you are highlighting what LoserX said. Just a bad fit for Minny. Salary wise.

I'm not sure I think you guys can attract a big free agent there to begin with. It's very difficult for us small market teams to lure the big fish. That being said, a 2nd or 3rd tier guy will probably go for the $$$.

I wish Corey well in Minny, he's a guy I think has a bright future, I hope he can make it happen in an Timberwolves uniform.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#18 » by old rem » Tue Oct 7, 2008 12:25 am

deeney0 wrote:I want to at least see what Corey can do this year. He's got a good head on his shoulders and good physical tools. Guys in his mold have all taken several years to mature - Prince, Pippen, Posey to name a few. He needs to work on his offensive decision making and hit open shots at a decent clip this year, and I think he can do that. Word is he's bulked up a bit over the offseason- he's always going to be a toothpick, but every little bit helps him get pushed around a little less.

Sure, I'd love AK on this team, but not with that contract. Wolves aren't only trading away Brewer in this deal, they're trading away their ability to sign a top FA in 2010.

Miller at SF and Brewer at SG is ideal for both. AK? I don't see him as overall as good as Love or Miller.
Factor in the $ and that Gomes+ Smith are solid F depth and the Wolves won't bite.
CENSORED... No comment.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Oct 7, 2008 12:44 am

I see AK better than either Love or Miller. And I haven't even seen Love play. But, I have seen Miller. He's a little better Kyle Korver. And while that's nice, it doesn't come NEAR to having the impact that AK's defense, steals, blocks, and passing have on the game.

I guess you are just more swayed by PPG, and less by anything else. But, if you are that concerned about PPG check out AK's production when he's the #1 option on the Russian team. It's a little better when he's the go to guy and not hte 4th option.
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#20 » by the_bruce » Tue Oct 7, 2008 3:01 am

As a wolves fan I'd be tempted here.

Return to Trades and Transactions