Sources: Wizards get 2 guards in trade

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Sources: Wizards get 2 guards in trade 

Post#1 » by Blame Rasho » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:06 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3759656

The Washington Wizards, Memphis Grizzlies and New Orleans Hornets have agreed to a three-team trade that will bring two new guards to the Gilbert Arenas-less Wizards, according to NBA front-office sources.

The Wizards will receive New Orleans' Mike James and Memphis' Javaris Crittenton in the exchange, with the Hornets acquiring Washington's Antonio Daniels and the Grizzlies coming away with a future first-round pick.
RTM
RealGM
And1: 173

Re: Sources: Wizards get 2 guards in trade 

Post#2 » by RTM » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:16 pm

I like this deal a lot. NO finally gets an able backup point, Washington swaps one reserve for another while picking up a prospect, and the Grizz trade a player who wasn't in their plans for their pick back. Sounds good, IMO.
UrbanLegendMD
General Manager
And1: 11

Post#3 » by UrbanLegendMD » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:20 pm

Dee Brown released? He was a starter. Illini Prince on the move again.
First the federal government borrowed money; then gave the money to Bank of America; then I borrowed some of that money from Bank of America and gave it to the federal government; then the federal government gave the money back to Bank of America.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#4 » by Blame Rasho » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:21 pm

Antonio is about as solid as you can get for a point guard and he can see spot duty at shooting guard.

I don't really care for James, but Crittention is an interesting guy with alot of physical tools that you desire from a point guard.

Ekk... just noticed that James has a Per of 6... If you are Bruce Bowen you can live with that, but not when you are Mike James.

Grizz with a pick... great...

I like the deal for everyone.
Trilogy
RealGM
And1: 3,584

Post#5 » by Trilogy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:22 pm

Good deal all around.

I'm interested to see how Crittenton does.
realball
Head Coach
And1: 3,162

Post#6 » by realball » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:31 pm

This wouldn't be a three-team trade, right? It would be two trades for Washington. Crittenton for the pick, and Daniels for James. I don't see why Washington is doing NO a favor by swapping Daniels for the inferior James.
jimij
Analyst
And1: 18

Post#7 » by jimij » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:39 pm

realball wrote:This wouldn't be a three-team trade, right? It would be two trades for Washington. Crittenton for the pick, and Daniels for James. I don't see why Washington is doing NO a favor by swapping Daniels for the inferior James.

James contract is a bit smaller than Daniel's so by making the trade and cutting Dee Brown, Washington will be able to stay under the luxury tax threshold when they add Crittendon.
He Hate Me
Starter
And1: 2

Post#8 » by He Hate Me » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:49 pm

i really liked antonio daniels... and until now was not fond of mike james, who by the way will be a disaster if/when gilbert does come back. Antonio and Gilbert played plenty of minutes on the court together splitting pg duties so that Gil could go balls to the wall as a scorer.

I remember thinking Gasol got traded for Crittenton so he must be ok, but the emergence of Marc sorta pushed that out of most of our heads. He seems like a score-first pg too. We certainly have a type here in DC. 6'10 elbow shooters and scoring PGs
I'm just trying to get into heaven, it's not like I'm gonna run for Jesus.
bill curley II
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#9 » by bill curley II » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:49 pm

realball wrote:This wouldn't be a three-team trade, right? It would be two trades for Washington. Crittenton for the pick, and Daniels for James. I don't see why Washington is doing NO a favor by swapping Daniels for the inferior James.

Maybe the pick is from NO? Without looking at contracts, I would think that that would be the fair trade considering Daniels is a step up from James, so NO would have to give up something extra.
eslr
Assistant Coach
And1: 25

Post#10 » by eslr » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:50 pm

Memphis wouldn't take salary back and the Wiz didn't have a TPE, so they had to find a thirs team to take some salary to make this work.

I'm not a huge fan of this for the Wiz. The pick for Critt seems fair, but then they take a big downgrade from Daniels to James.
He Hate Me
Starter

Post#11 » by He Hate Me » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:52 pm

yeah any news on this pick? Was has one of MEMs picks from the JCN trade. If that's the pick that goes I remember it being pretty well protected when we got it, if we did trade it did we re-protect it? ie. top 20 protected for them, now being pick 20-25 protected. Could we get this to be the most protected pick ever?
Kobay
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#12 » by Kobay » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:07 pm

Wallace...guy cleans up salary, gets mayo and another (possibly) top pick.
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#13 » by ponder276 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:19 pm

This is incredibly cheap from Washington's point of view. Daniels is signed for 2 years, making $6,200,000 this year, and $6,600,000 next year. Mike James is also signed for 2 years, making $6,049,400 this year, and $6,466,600 next year. Downgrading from Antonio Daniels to Mike James just to save $150,000/year? Even if they're in the luxury tax, that's a bit ridiculous.

Good trade for Memphis (Critt wasn't doing much anyways), and New Orleans make out like bandits - Daniels should be a great backup to Paul.
He Hate Me
Starter

Post#14 » by He Hate Me » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:36 pm

Yeah I am really not understanding the Daniels for James swap from WAS point of view. At best it's a quick fix for scoring issues that should dissapear with the emergence of Young at SG and the eventual return of Arenas. And they give up a pick from MEM that while fairly well-protected was sold for well-under what MEM would have paid, esp. when some of that protection drops.
CITYOFANGELSX3
RealGM
And1: 151

Post#15 » by CITYOFANGELSX3 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:37 pm

Daniels sucks, NO fans better recognize you just downgraded in backup PG.
He Hate Me
Starter

Post#16 » by He Hate Me » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:43 pm

Daniels is better than James at PG/passing and involving teamates. James is better at SG/scoring in general.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#17 » by loserX » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

ponder276 wrote:This is incredibly cheap from Washington's point of view. Daniels is signed for 2 years, making $6,200,000 this year, and $6,600,000 next year. Mike James is also signed for 2 years, making $6,049,400 this year, and $6,466,600 next year. Downgrading from Antonio Daniels to Mike James just to save $150,000/year? Even if they're in the luxury tax, that's a bit ridiculous.

Very wise Wizards poster nate33 pointed this out on the trade board:

The Grizzlies clearly did not want to take ANY salary back. In order for Washington to take on additional salary while over the cap, they either had to have a Traded Player Exception (which they didn't have), or send out salary so that they could take back 125% of that amount. James plus Crittenton came out to less than 125% of Daniels' salary, so it was legal.

(Now, were there other, less destructive ways of doing this? Who knows. But that's why the swap was in there...to facilitate an over-the-cap trade where another party refused to take back any salary. Not so much the tax avoidance.)
He Hate Me
Starter

Post#18 » by He Hate Me » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:50 pm

oooh so that's why we traded our starting PG and dropped the backup pg...
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#19 » by Rasho Brezec » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:12 pm

Nice deal for everyone. I really hope Crittenton will get some PT. I think this guy can play if he gets a chance.
Alex_De_Large
Lead Assistant
And1: 45

Post#20 » by Alex_De_Large » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:20 pm

Daniels is much better than James, Hornets are big time winners here.

Return to The General Board