ImageImage

1/12/2009 Woelfel: Conley deal waiting for Herb (poll added)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Are you in favor of the proposed trade (Conley for Sessions/JA)?

YES
49%
NO
51%

Total votes: 260

EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

1/12/2009 Woelfel: Conley deal waiting for Herb (poll added) 

Post#1 » by EastSideBucksFan » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:13 pm

WOW, Woelfel is making it sound like this is going to happen

http://my.journaltimes.com/post/woelfel ... _deal.html

Are Bucks set to play 'Let's Make a Deal'?
Posted by: gwoelfel on January 12, 2009 at 12:36AM EST

By GERY WOELFEL

It’s hardly a secret the Milwaukee Bucks have been working the phones to make a trade,

There have been continuous rumors forward Charlie Villanueva is being shopped and whispers about Michael Redd being dealt.

Backup guard Charlie Bell’s name has also been bandied about in trade talks and it is believed some teams have contacted the Bucks about the availability of veteran small forward Richard Jefferson.

The latest rumor to surface is the Bucks possibly trading backup point guard Ramon Sessions and forward Joe Alexander, who was the eighth overall selection in last June’s NBA draft, to the Memphis Grizzlies.

In return, the Bucks would obtain point guard Michael Conley Jr., who was the No. 4 overall selection in the 2007 draft.

The Bucks would also likely receive a future draft choice.

I’ve been told both teams have virtually agreed on the conditions of the trade and only Bucks owner Herb Kohl had to give his stamp of approval. Bucks general manager John Hammond, reached in North Carolina where he was on a scouting trip, said it was his policy not to comment on any trade speculation.

As a rookie last season, Conley played in 53 games and started 46. He averaged 9.4 points and 4.2 assists.

But Conley has struggled this season, starting only 18 of 37 games. He is averaging 7.5 points and 4.9 assists.

Sessions spent most of last season in the NBA's D-League with Tulsa before becoming the Bucks starting point guard when Mo Williams got hurt.

Sessions played well then and is playing well now, although he has been used primarily as a back up to Luke Ridnour. Sessions is averaging 10.8 points and 4.5 assists.

Alexander has played sparingly behind veteran small forward Richard Jefferson. He has appeared in 27 games, averaging 4.1 points.

Conley, who worked out for the Bucks before last year’s draft, is making $3.63 million this season. He’ll earn $3.88M next season with a team option for $4.91M the following season.

Alexander is being paid $2.4 million this season and Sessions makes $711,000.

While the Bucks and Grizzlies may be in agreement on the aforementioned deal, neither team is under any pressure to consummate it quickly since the league-imposed trading deadline isn’t until Feb. 19.

* Billy McKinney, the Bucks' scouting director, recently traveled to Europe and checked out several players, including Ersan Ilyasova.

Ilyasova, the Bucks' second-round pick in 2005 who played in 66 games during the 2006-2007 season, is playing in Spain for FC Barcelona. The Bucks still retain his playing rights.

McKinney watched Ilyasova play and went out to dinner with him. He came away suitably impressed with the combo forward.

"He played very well,'' McKinney said. "He's a nice, multi-dimensional player. I don't have any doubts he can play well at the NBA level.''

“It was good to see we have a very viable asset playing in our system.''

McKinney believes several other European teams will vie for Ilyasova's services after the season, but didn't dismiss the possibility of Ilyasova rejoining the Bucks.

What could work in the Bucks' favor is that Ilyasova's wife is from Milwaukee.

* So, who do the Bucks think should represent the Eastern Conference in next month's NBA All-Star Game in Phoenix?

Well, in a poll of eight Bucks, only two players were unanimous selections: small forward LeBron James of the Cleveland Cavaliers and center Dwight Howard of the Orlando Magic.

Former Marquette University and current Miami Heat star Dwyane Wade received seven votes and Boston Celtics power forward Kevin Garnett garnered six votes.

Rounding out the Bucks' Eastern Conference All-Star starting team was ex-University of Wisconsin star guard Devin Harris of the New Jersey Nets, who got four votes.

Others who received first team votes were Detroit guard Allen Iverson, Boston guard Ray Allen, Toronto guard Jose Calderon, Toronto forward Chris Bosh and Indiana forward Danny Granger.

The Bucks, who couldn’t choose any teammate, were also asked to pick seven reserves. No less than 14 players were chosen.

They were Boston forward Paul Pierce, Detroit guard Richard Hamilton, Atlanta guard Joe Johnson, Orlando forward Rashard Lewis, Washington forward Antawn Jamison, Detroit forward Tayshaun Prince, New Jersey guard Vince Carter, Orlando forward Hedo Turkoglu, Cleveland center Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Atlanta guard Mike Bibby, Boston guard Rajon Rondo, Orlando guard Jameer Nelson, Chicago guard Derrick Rose and Detroit forward Rasheed Wallace
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Re: 1/12: Woelfel: Conley deal waiting for Herb approval 

Post#2 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:20 pm

Whoa......

Amazing.

Well, if you need some help getting excited about this, check Conley's April stats last year. He was a really efficient PG.

I also give Hammond a ton of credit for realizing it was a bad move with Alexander. I'll give him a mulligan there.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#3 » by wichmae » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:22 pm

The marketing department has to be hating life right now. Coming off this big vote for Joe ordeal. The autograph pic night...Blah Blah Blah.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#4 » by EastSideBucksFan » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:22 pm

If he gets a first round pick back, I guess I'll be able to swallow this deal.

Hopefully a change of scenery and coaching will do Conley worlds of good.

I have to say Conley's man-love for Oden scares me. Add to the fact his dad is his agent as well as Odens agent and that has to be in the back of their mind of them trying to reunite in a couple of years.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,904

Post#5 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:24 pm

I've learned to dismiss April stats of players on bad teams. I don't like this deal at all.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#6 » by LUKE23 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:25 pm

I'm not saying I'm a fan of this deal because I'm not, but Conley will be RFA when he's up for FA, so we will pretty much have the choice if he stays or not. We will have cap space in Conley's QO year, it will be the same year Redd/RJ/Gadzuric all expire.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#7 » by wichmae » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:25 pm

Yeah, Im in the dont like this deal at all camp too...
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#8 » by aboveAverage » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:25 pm

I hate this deal as of now, but I do trust Hammond. Hopefully he knows what he's doing.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#9 » by LUKE23 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:27 pm

I think we should probably wait til it's final, but it looks imminent at this point. MTC....
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#10 » by aboveAverage » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:27 pm

Don't we need frontcourt help badly? I don't see why swapping backup point guards does us any good.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#11 » by LUKE23 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:28 pm

aboveAverage wrote:Don't we need frontcourt help badly? I don't see why swapping backup point guards does us any good.

If this goes down we are down another roster spot, so I could see a move there. But yes, we need frontcourt depth badly.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,904

Post#12 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:28 pm

I also don't like that Kohl has to give his approval. No More Meddling.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#13 » by Badgerlander » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:29 pm

A first round pick would make this deal easier to swallow but I'm betting it's a second. Who knows maybe we can trade Conley to Portland but I don't really want Outlaw either.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Andrew34r
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#14 » by Andrew34r » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:30 pm

Not a fan of thise deal. But I agree with ESBF that the pick needs to be a first round pick to even make it tolerable. If this deal is really just waiting the approval of Herb Kohl..assuming things have changed with him...it should be a done deal in a day or two.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#15 » by LUKE23 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:31 pm

Does anyone else think it's a bad sign that most of the Grizzlies fans off that link posted in the other thread want this deal to go down?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#16 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:32 pm

:rocking:

Put me in the camp that loves this deal, draft pick or not.

Moute made JA expendable. I wasn't comfortable with the idea of giving Sessions big money this summer. I really liked Conley coming out of Ohio State and I'm anxious to see what a change of scenery does for the kid.

I'd like this to be the first of a few moves made to rebuild this team. CV is in the same boat as Sessions. Nice offensively but I don't see him as someone you devote large dollars to. He should be the next to go. I'd like to see Redd and RJ follow him out of town.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#17 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:32 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Well, if you need some help getting excited about this, check Conley's April stats last year. He was a really efficient PG.

Haha, we're all trying to rationalize this however we can. For me though, it's the easy buckets he gave Oden in college, setting him up with lobs fairly often. Conley hasn't had a decent center in Memphis, but hopefully with Bogut, he can return to that style of seeing that his team takes high percentage shots.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#18 » by LUKE23 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:34 pm

I wasn't comfortable with the idea of giving Sessions big money this summer.

He wouldn't have gotten big money this summer, MLE max. The teams that have cap space beyond MLE are all saving it for the 2010 FA bonanza. He wouldn't have gotten more than the MLE.

This is only a good trade for the Bucks if Conley turns out the best player of the three involved (or the Bucks get a first and that player turns out the best of the four involved).
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Post#19 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:34 pm

This deal tells me Scott Skiles has far more power than might have been first thought. And that Skiles wants a ball-handling/defending PG and is not happy with Sessions in that role. And that he'd view Ridnour as merely a stop-gap for this year.

Let's see what the final deal looks like before we have a complete meltdown.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#20 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:35 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I also don't like that Kohl has to give his approval. No More Meddling.

It's my understanding that viritually every owner has to sign off on deals, and Hammond said he thought that was a good thing. I only want assurance that nobody else in Kohl's circle is being asked to look it over.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks