Rd 2, Pick 16 (48)
Rd 3, Pick 15 (79)
Rd 3, Pick 20 (84)
Rd 4, Pick 14 (114)
Rd 5, Pick 13 (149)
Rd 6, Pick 12 (185)
Rd 7, Pick 16 (225)
Rd 7, Pick 26 (235)

About time we get a thread up to talk draft with the Broncos. They've got themselves a plethora of picks, with defense the likely focus. I'd personally be very surprised to see the Broncos look to a QB in the first round. Tyson Jackson has been a popular name in Bronco circles.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,005

Re: Broncos Draft Talk 

Post#2 » by Pharmcat » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:30 pm

the first 3 picks need to address D, end of story
MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 531

Post#3 » by MHZ » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:21 pm

Whispers today that the Broncos are looking to trade for Sanchez. I expect that's likely smoke. We'll see.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#4 » by Pharmcat » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:31 pm

no sanchez isnt what den needs

they need to get players for the 3-4....i think they can get 2 value pieces at 12 and 18
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#5 » by Pharmcat » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:37 pm

DE, OLB, NT

are the 3 glaring needs

i would fill 2 of those first no questions asked...
MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by MHZ » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:40 pm

Knowshon Moreno at 12. What in the holy hell.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#7 » by Pharmcat » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:13 am

LMAO the denver FO is on crack
KM44
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#8 » by KM44 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:33 am

This was a very questionable draft for the first day. They had 5 picks, and I really think that only two of the picks were good.

Moreno wasn't necessarily a terrible pick, but we really needed to address our defense first, obviously, and with orkapo on the board, this pick can only earn at best a C grade for now.

Ayers was a great pick and he could turn out to be a great option. A on that one

Now the Alphonso Smith trade was ridiculous, because we are going to have a low pick next year, considering we suck, so we traded a first straight up for a second rounder. Smith was a possible late first, and I think he could be solid, but he was not worth a first. C+

Then this pick I thought was poor. William Moore is the better safety, and I think we could have gotten Paul Kruger, who is a very solid option for our OLB spot. This guy has to pan out in order for that to be worthwhile. D+

And finally, why did we trade up to get a TE? I don't know much about Quinn, but we already have grahm and scheffler. I don't think it was worth both of our 3rd rounders. D

If I was the GM, I would have taken Orakpo with 12, Ayers with 18, Maualuga with our first 2nd, Kruger with the second, and I wouldn't have pulled the trigger on the 5th trade. But oh well..
Nicky Nix Nook wrote:In two years:

Thompson > Aldridge
MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by MHZ » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:39 am

What an embarrassing day to be a Broncos fan. Our first rounder next year for a corner in the second round... good god.
DrSithMirth
Head Coach
And1: 11
Location: The Black Lodge. Raise up off me, lest you find yourself with us. Under the sycamore trees..

Post#10 » by DrSithMirth » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:24 am

Agreed. This is ridiculous.

Did you hear McDaniels' explanation for trading a first round pick for a second round?

"The value we saw had him going in the first round and we don't care about other teams' perspective on the value."

?!? What a pile of horse crap. You pay attention to what other perspectives are because that's how you get good value in trade. If McDaniels wanted to make that trade, he should have come out of it with at least another 3rd round pick. So meanwhile he looks absolutely foolish making that kind of trade.

This guys ego is out of control and he's freaking unproven. He's an arrogant arse and I want him fired.
Cheers, Dr. SithMirth
MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by MHZ » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:17 am

Well, with the moves he's making, it shouldn't take long. Either he's a genius beyond anybody's comprehension, or a moron. I'll go with the latter. Nice trade for a TE. Two thirds for a position we have absolutely no need for. This guy seems so far over his head right now, and he's bringing down a once proud franchise while he's content to play with Play-Doh and make moves that a 14-year-old wouldn't make in Madden '09.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#12 » by Pharmcat » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:34 pm

horrible draft for den

they couldve gone with this on day 1:

Brian Orakpo
Robert Ayers
Rey Maualuga or Ron Brice
William Moore
Jerron Gilbert

the d wouldve been vastly improved

mcdaniels and his staff are idiots and should be fired
KM44
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by KM44 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:54 pm

Actually, I'm blaming a lot of this on McDaniels, but the new GM is the one that holds a lot of this blame. Pharmcat has it right, I think that would have been an amazing first day of the draft. Actually, we could have gotten Moreno instead of Ayers, because no one would have picked him by then. And I would have taken Kruger where Moore would be picked. We need an OLB and Kruger is a stud. Watch in a few years when he's on baltimore and he gets 115 tackles and 8 sacks.

This sucks

Thompson > Aldridge
DrSithMirth
Head Coach
And1: 11
Location: The Black Lodge. Raise up off me, lest you find yourself with us. Under the sycamore trees..

Post#14 » by DrSithMirth » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:48 pm

Ok, I've taken some time to read up on the evaluations of the players the Broncos took, and I'm not so upset any longer.

My understanding is that their draft board did not have many DE's on it in the first place, and they refuse to reach for players. I can buy that. I can also buy the argument that, from a value standpoint, the players drafted are good picks. I think that the vast majority of them will be in the rotation for the team (btw, I think Scheffler will be traded), and I think they'll play well.

But in terms of his argument for trading a First rounder for a Second rounder (and he did something similar in order to get the first pick in the 6th round), I still think that's poor, self-centered reasoning , and in the long run that kind of reasoning costs a large number of draft pick positions. For instance, the pick they gave up, what if it ends up being in the top ten next year? Piss-poor reasoning might cost the Broncos big time next year.

So the players, good deal. The logic behind the trading of picks? Embarassingly poor.
Cheers, Dr. SithMirth
KM44
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by KM44 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:06 pm

That's the thing, the logic on the trading of the picks is non-existant. In such a logic-driven event, being stupid is going to cost you big time.

Thompson > Aldridge
berserker
Rookie
And1: 25

Post#16 » by berserker » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:28 pm

Here's my take:

First of all, I actually haven't seen mentioned yet the CHARACTER of the guys we drafted. I think that is important to build a cohesive unit, guys that are willing to sacrifice for the good of the team and not personal accolades.

Second, guys, the D line aint' gonna be as bad as people think. We have three young DT's in Marcus Thomas, Ron Fields (from SF), and Carlton Powell (last years 4th) that should at the very least help us shore up the middle.

At DE, I like the pickup of Ayers, and we still have Crowder/Moss/Dumerville, even though the latter are moving around in the 3/4 as potential hybrid linebackers. We still need help here.

At LB, I think we have a nice rotation - Andra Davis/Bailey/DJ/Woodyard/Larsen/Winborn, we're ok there.

Our Secondary got a LOT better: Champ/Renaldo/Dawk/Goodman is a great group, backed up by some quality YOUNG depth. Jack Williams/Josh Barrett have a year under their belt, and we drafted an underappreciated corner in Rd 2.

On offense, guys, let's remember that McDaniels system is predicated on short routes, a running game, and an intelligent pocket QB. I think we have all of the pieces on offense to succeed in that system.

Given Moreno, the nice addition of the WR from South Carolina, our already solid WR core, another young solid blocking TE (which allows us to trade Scheffler, perhaps for Dline help?), and our already solid Offensive line, I'm thinking we may actually suprise quite a few teams this year.

I hated the Cutler trade, I hated seeing Shanny go. However, I'm giving MCD a chance....and I actually think the direction we are starting to head may not be as bad as everyone is spewing........
MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by MHZ » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:31 pm

Actually, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on the Cutler trade, but I just don't understand how few defensive players they took in that draft. Sure, you don't want to reach, but this defense literally had holes everywhere outside of three guys. You can't tell me there weren't defensive players available that could have been had.

And trading their first next year for a cornerback, I just don't get it at all. There had to have been a lesser offer that would have been acceptable.

Ultimately, it'll all depend on how they perform this season, sure. Their schedule is brutal, they have a question mark at QB, and it remains to be seen if their defense is better or not. If they don't have success this year, it's going to be a bloodbath amongst fans and the media for the Boy McWonder.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#18 » by Pharmcat » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:17 pm

no way im buying this was a good draft

they had to redo their D, 3-4, starting from inside and building out

i can let moreno pick slide, but after ayers, it was bad

the biggest sin was giving a 1st for a 2nd, which makes ZERO sense, for a guy who isnt 5'10" and will get ABUSED by wr
berserker
Rookie
And1: 25

Post#19 » by berserker » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:00 pm

Pharmcat, don't forget - Darrent (RIP) wasn't all that tall either, but was a hell of a player.

I'm actually thinking we'll be a better team BY FAR this year.

We have a running game. We have receivers who can run short routes, receivers with speed and HANDS. We have a blocking TE and a receiving TE. We have the best young LT in the game, and a QB who can manage the type of offense that McDaniels will be playing

Defensively, I can't help but note the improvement. We've made some major FA acquisitions in Dawkins, Ron Fields, Andra Davis.....and those can only help strengthen our special teams as well. We're more talented across the board.

Give McDaniels a chance. Whether giving up a 1st was smart or not will remain to be seen. Personally if this CB is as good as I've heard, then it's worth it.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#20 » by Pharmcat » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:35 pm

our D problems are at the front 7...nothing was done to improve that

Return to Denver Broncos