Ricky Rubio's best NBA comparison

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,954

Ricky Rubio's best NBA comparison 

Post#1 » by Optms » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:25 pm

Ricky Rubio being compared to Pete Maravich are some of the most arrogant observations you can ever hear. Sadly you here them all the time, especially from the media.

I was wondering who most do you guys think his game most likely resembles to a player we've seen or know of?
Promezclan
Starter
And1: 948

Re: Ricky Rubio's best NBA comparison 

Post#2 » by Promezclan » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:36 pm

Kidd is the best comparison in terms of style, although obviously not in level. Both are 6'4, both have extremely good court vision, both have strong defensive instincts and both are fairly mediocre shooters, but decent at spot-up threes. Rubio hasn't shown Kidd's great rebounding, though.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,522

Post#3 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:42 pm

Less athletic Kidd with a tinge of Nash's pick and roll play works for me

I have no idea where the Maravich comparison comes from. It's not even remotely accurate
Inc
Senior
And1: 58

Post#4 » by Inc » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:00 pm

Rondo

Skinny
Long arms
Bad shooters from long range
Good court vision
Suffocating defense
Can take their man off the dribble

Only major difference is that Rondo is black and the hair
Optms
RealGM

Post#5 » by Optms » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:00 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:Less athletic Kidd with a tinge of Nash's pick and roll play works for me

I have no idea where the Maravich comparison comes from. It's not even remotely accurate

Just sneak a peak at both their hairdo. Also, they're both short and have a pale complextion, go figure. I say Rubio shaves his hair once he comes to the US.
Promezclan
Starter
And1: 948

Post#6 » by Promezclan » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:07 pm

Rondo is also a solid comparison, but Rubio doesn't have nearly his quickness and athleticism (though he does have a few inches), although I think he has potentially better court vision and shooting.
SSUBluesman
Assistant Coach
And1: 778

Post#7 » by SSUBluesman » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:09 pm

Take away Kidd's rebounding and athleticism and what do you have? And Rondo? LOL. Yea, maybe if Rubio was athletic and a good rebounder/defender. Maybe people should wait until they see Rubio go up against players who are more athletic than he is in a setting that punishes contact on the perimeter and doesn't allow a bunch of stiffs to sit in the lane before they start raving about how awesome a defender he is. Or they can keep overrating him and then claiming he's not overrated.
2008 NBA Champions-Boston Celtics
2009 NBA ChampionsLos Angeles Lakers
2010 NBA Champions-Vacated due to lack of worthy recipients
Telfaire
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#8 » by Telfaire » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:36 pm

A smaller Shaun Livingston?
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#9 » by Smills91 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:54 pm

I like the Kidd comparison in style. I think that's the 'closest' you'll come to an NBA equivalent. Rubio's his own player, but his game is MOST like Kidd IMO.
Blasphemy
Bench Warmer
And1: 82

Post#10 » by Blasphemy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:04 pm

J-Kidd for sure

"A wise man told me don't argue with fools, because people from a distance can't tell who is who." - Jay-Z
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#11 » by EddieJonesFan » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:17 pm

Promezclan wrote:Kidd is the best comparison in terms of style, although obviously not in level. Both are 6'4, both have extremely good court vision, both have strong defensive instincts and both are fairly mediocre shooters, but decent at spot-up threes. Rubio hasn't shown Kidd's great rebounding, though.

Rubio is a good rebounder though. Post-microfracture Kidd except not quite as strong. Rubio really needs to improve his strength, it'll make up for a lot of his weaknesses.
Optms
RealGM

Post#12 » by Optms » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:37 pm

I'm surprised none of you have mentioned Nash yet. The very first ever film footage of his play overseas I saw, I was expecting him to resemble "pistol" petes game since that was all I heard on TV at the time about him but this was quite awhile ago and not at all what I saw and know now. I haven't seen much of his play at all compared to other players in this draft like most of you I'm assuming however.

That first minute of watching him, Steve Nash's passing game jumped out. Mostly the way he maneuvers through traffic and finds his teammates is very reminiscent of Steve Nash I think.
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#13 » by Smills91 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:40 pm

Optms wrote:I'm surprised none of you have mentioned Nash yet. The very first ever film footage of his play overseas I saw, I was expecting him to resemble "pistol" petes game since that was all I heard on TV at the time about him but this was quite awhile ago and not at all what I saw and know now. I haven't seen much of his play at all compared to other players in this draft like most of you I'm assuming however.

That first minute of watching him, Steve Nash's passing game jumped out. Mostly the way he maneuvers through traffic and finds his teammates is very reminiscent of Steve Nash I think.

I don't like the Nash comparison because it's TWO things: Hair and Passing that they have in common.
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#14 » by EddieJonesFan » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:27 pm

Smills91 wrote:
Optms wrote:I'm surprised none of you have mentioned Nash yet. The very first ever film footage of his play overseas I saw, I was expecting him to resemble "pistol" petes game since that was all I heard on TV at the time about him but this was quite awhile ago and not at all what I saw and know now. I haven't seen much of his play at all compared to other players in this draft like most of you I'm assuming however.

I don't like the Nash comparison because it's TWO things: Hair and Passing that they have in common.

Athletically, they're very similar.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#15 » by SeattleJazzFan » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:37 pm

Inc wrote:Suffocating defense

Good stuff. Seriously.
Genjuro
Sixth Man
And1: 220

Post#16 » by Genjuro » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:48 pm

This is an extremely interesting topic. I'm not sure there's any decent comparision in the NBA. Not at least for the current Rubio.

Average athelticism, bad shooting, limited strength, is there any successful PG in the NBA with that combination of flaws?

I'm not saying he will be a bust, anyway.
yehyeh82
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#17 » by yehyeh82 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:48 pm

Bob Cousy
Bill Walton after comparing a Lebron dunk to Angel Falls wrote: Now that is a big waterfall and that was a big throwdown
mattyj
Veteran
And1: 247

Post#18 » by mattyj » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:50 pm

Rubio isnt nearly the defender Kidd is...i like the smaller Livingston comparison
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#19 » by Bernman » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:46 pm

Mark Jackson
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,088

Post#20 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:56 pm

Jason Williams?
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."

Return to NBA Draft