Statistic to Measure a Low Post Defender's Man Defense?

Moderator: Doctor MJ

Rod700
Pro Prospect
And1: 3

Statistic to Measure a Low Post Defender's Man Defense? 

Post#1 » by Rod700 » Thu Nov 5, 2009 6:39 pm

Does anyone know of a statistic that isolates and measures a low post defender's effectiveness in playing one-on-one defense. I will use Josh Smith as an example. He is a great roving defender, but is pushed around by the bulkier big men in the league in the post. Is there a stat that would demostrate his ineffectiveness in such match-ups? I'd actually like to use it to identify effective role playing post defenders though. I appreciate any links, feedback, etc. Thanks guys.

EDIT: I should have specified that I need to know where to locate these statistics as well. Thank again.
Pointing Out What Is Wrong With Other People's Posts Is Easy, Helping Them Develop Their Ideas Takes Skill
Rod700
Pro Prospect

Re: Statistic to Measure a Low Post Defender's Man Defense? 

Post#2 » by Rod700 » Thu Nov 5, 2009 7:14 pm

Another acceptable measure for my purposes would be measuring a defender's effectiveness by the opposing team centers' FG% when the player is in the game. Defense against opposing centers is of particular interest to me. Thanks again.
Pointing Out What Is Wrong With Other People's Posts Is Easy, Helping Them Develop Their Ideas Takes Skill
Rendezvous
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#3 » by Rendezvous » Thu Nov 5, 2009 7:19 pm

maybe the peopole in statistical analysis will help u
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,874

Post#4 » by Last Guardian » Thu Nov 5, 2009 7:50 pm

Opp PER is close I guess. Usually if you are a good post defender, the opp PER will be pretty low. Not always the case. But I know Yao had a ridiculous opp PER for years. It was in the single digits when the average was 15.

It isn't perfect though because obviously sometimes your man will score or get a rebound because you had to help on somebody else.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,474

Post#5 » by pillwenney » Thu Nov 5, 2009 8:02 pm

Yeah, there's actually a new board just for this kind of stuff, so I'm going to go ahead and move this there.
Rod700
Pro Prospect

Post#6 » by Rod700 » Thu Nov 5, 2009 8:03 pm

Rod700 wrote:Another acceptable measure for my purposes would be measuring a defender's effectiveness by the opposing team centers' FG% when the player is in the game. Defense against opposing centers is of particular interest to me. Thanks again.

I will give it a shot. I just noticed that no one hardly ever posts there, and I thought the question would likely go unanswered.
Rod700
Pro Prospect

Post#7 » by Rod700 » Thu Nov 5, 2009 8:03 pm

Solid Snake wrote:Opp PER is close I guess. Usually if you are a good post defender, the opp PER will be pretty low. Not always the case. But I know Yao had a ridiculous opp PER for years. It was in the single digits when the average was 15.

It isn't perfect though because obviously sometimes your man will score or get a rebound because you had to help on somebody else.

Good deal. I appreciate it man.
Rod700
Pro Prospect

Post#8 » by Rod700 » Thu Nov 5, 2009 8:04 pm

mitchweber wrote:Yeah, there's actually a new board just for this kind of stuff, so I'm going to go ahead and move this there.

Ah, it's a new board. That's why there haven't been many posts yet. Moving the thread sounds good.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,420

Post#9 » by TrueLAfan » Fri Nov 6, 2009 9:40 pm

Have you checked www.82games.com? For individual players, you can click on "by position," and get a breakdown of how opponenet (supposedly) did against the player. For instance, for Josh Smith, the breakdown says he was terrific against SFs, got pushed around some by PFs, and got abused pretty heavily by Cs.

http://www.82games.com/0809/08ATL11.HTM#bypos
rrravenred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 547
Location: Pulling at the loose threads of arguments since 2006

Post#10 » by rrravenred » Sun Nov 8, 2009 11:13 pm

Inexact figures, really. I suppose the only way to usefully assess is to manually identify post players on opposing teams and assess their interior FG% as opposed to their normal average. This, of course, makes assumptions of a one-to-one relationship between your nominated player (e.g. Josh Smith) and the performance of your nominated low-post offensive player (e.g. Carlos Boozer).

If on-off figures ever get fine grained enough to assess different types of shots (in the paint, mid-range) during a player's time on-court, and include stats like steals (once again, against manually determined post players), blocks and turnovers, you'd get closer.

I'd love to get my hands on 82 games raw data, fwiw.
ElGee wrote:You, my friend, have shoved those words into my mouth, which is OK because I'm hungry.

Got fallacy?

Return to Statistical Analysis