good stephen curry comparison

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

desiwun
Banned User
And1: 1
Location: GOOD JOB SilentH for stealing my sig idea, you are the most original poster on realgm!

Re: good stephen curry comparison 

Post#61 » by desiwun » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:31 am

a slightly worse jason terry
junot111
General Manager
And1: 2,813

Post#62 » by junot111 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:46 am

a mix of Wilt Chamberlain and Jerry West
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,442

Post#63 » by KF10 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:36 am

I don't understand the Bibby comparisons. Yes, there are similarities but not to an extent that it is a great comparison though.

Most people forget that Bibby was a spectacular floor general in his early years in the NBA. And Curry has questionable point guard skills. Can Curry improve? Yes, he can. But Curry is coming in as a combo guard and Bibby came to the league as a legitimate point guard. Bibby has leadership qualities that Curry may never attain. (Bibby was the main player that won the NCAA Championship for Arizona. And Bibby almost dethrone a dynasty in the Lakers all by himself). Bibby was actually more athletic than Curry and as well as have the better body i.e. rebounding attributes

Well, Curry was the better scorer/shooter than Bibby at this early stage. And I think Curry is more of a "natural" scorer than Bibby ever was. But Bibby was one of the best offensive point guards in the game for a while. So, I don't know.

I think it is more appropriate to compare him to, lets say to a variation of Jason Terry. I believe that comparison is far more closer than the Bibby comparisons.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,366

Post#64 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:50 am

I think the guy that made the Hornacek comparison may have hit it on the head, and I still like my Hersey Hawkins comparo too, although he was a serious defender.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
mavfan12
Bench Warmer
And1: 5

Post#65 » by mavfan12 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:24 am

I like the JET comparison. I think the Monta Ellis comparison is pretty good, which is why I kinda question that pick. I think he went 3-8 spots too high and jumped largely due to his tournament performance.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#66 » by NetsForce » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:27 am

I don't see the Ellis comparison at all, Ellis gets by due to his superb quickness and vertical. His mid-range game isn't bad, but Curry is going to be a shooter not an attack-the-basket-at-break-neck-speed kind of player...
John Doe [MIN]
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#67 » by John Doe [MIN] » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:50 am

Five pages and no one has even mentioned Chauncey Billups?

I think they could have very similar career arcs. Billups was kind of a combo guard coming in, took a good five years to master running an NBA offense, and then became the smart, hyper-efficient point guard that we know today. Where does Curry differ?
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#68 » by Esohny » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:29 pm

John Doe [MN] wrote:Five pages and no one has even mentioned Chauncey Billups?

I think they could have very similar career arcs. Billups was kind of a combo guard coming in, took a good five years to master running an NBA offense, and then became the smart, hyper-efficient point guard that we know today. Where does Curry differ?

Well, Billups will never be pushed over by a stiff breeze, for one thing. Curry will not be drawing a lot of fouls either posting up or driving, and I don't know if he ever sees the floor like Billups. And Billups is big and strong enough to at least guard SGs...Curry won't guard anyone effectively.

Honestly, Curry is probably going to be a shooter off the bench. Not that he can't be effective as an offensive spark, but he's not really that much like Billups. The only place he might be sorta similar is that he could learn enough to be more of a distributor as he gets older. The style isn't really close though.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
RoyalCourtJestr
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#69 » by RoyalCourtJestr » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:36 pm

Mike Bibby as a cap? Maybe in terms of scoring. Bibby was an underrated passer, it wasn't his fault he played his career with Webber/Divac, two of the best passing bigs of their generation, and Aldeman always ran the ball through the bigs (and then Miller...).

Bibby makes sense scoring wise (and even defensive wise, as neither Bibs nor Curry are good defenders) - but Curry will never been a 6-9 assist man. He just doesn't have point skills. He did fine in college - mainly because as teams double/tripled him, it left open teams for him to pass to. Is this gonna work in the NBA? Is he such a distinct scoring threat here that as he drives or is open at the top, teams will slack off others to worry about him? Definetly not. And he's not a good enough passer to make it up otherwise... Steve Nash comparisons? You have GOT to be kidding.

Give the kid two three years - he'll be a undersized SG who scores 13-20 points as a camper behind the three point arc (hum... sounds like 3/4 the Warriors lineup :D )

A one trick pony - shooter. Good at it, and still a fine player - but no star.
mprose wrote:And that leaves me with the conclusion that DMC is the Sarah Palin of the NBA.
Sid the Squid
Banned User

Post#70 » by Sid the Squid » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:56 pm

Lightning Strike wrote:Mike Bibby as a cap? Maybe in terms of scoring. Bibby was an underrated passer

but Curry will never been a 6-9 assist man. And he's not a good enough passer .

:o

Booby Knight thinks different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JyTIQq5H-g
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#71 » by Smills91 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:20 am

Steve Kerr.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#72 » by TB » Mon Oct 5, 2009 6:26 am

first post is still the best...

Mark Price
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,366

Post#73 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Oct 5, 2009 8:31 pm

TB wrote:first post is still the best...

Mark Price

Mark Price was an amazing pass 1st point guard, Curry is just learning how to become a point guard period, so no, I don't think the comparison is very viable at all.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Post#74 » by treefi » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:37 pm

everyone will soon realize stephen curry is the best player from this draft class. he can be a superstar in a few years. i see him putting up 12ppg - 2rpg - 6apg - 2spg this year in 25-28mpg and 24ppg - 4rpg - 9apg - 3spg in his prime.

i've been on board since his very first game against north carolina. he's special. the real deal. it's so obvious... most of you are so blind.

stephen curry >>> o.j. mayo
Sinistar6
Starter
And1: 125

Post#75 » by Sinistar6 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:50 pm

To me Curry is a scrawny shooting guard in a point guards body. He has decent athleticism, good BBall IQ and a hall of fame jumper...

Im going to go with Ben Gordon without the pythons.
Next time the cult's spaceship lands we'll all be wearing black Starburys.

-mcwelk
Sid the Squid
Banned User

Post#76 » by Sid the Squid » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:27 pm

Curry with 14-6-10-6 and +41 on the +/- last night

But he's not a PG LOL
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,882
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#77 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:44 am

After the way he did the Hornets, I don't see how he doesn't become the greatest PG of all time. Too bad Anthony Randolph has the PG spot locked down for the next 15-25 years, depending on how long he continues to get taller.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#78 » by NetsForce » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:06 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:After the way he did the Hornets, I don't see how he doesn't become the greatest PG of all time. Too bad Anthony Randolph has the PG spot locked down for the next 15-25 years, depending on how long he continues to get taller.

I think you meant Lebron James. Not only is Lebron James a better power forward than Karl Malone, he's a better point guard than Magic Johnson. Easily. (Anthony Randolph is 2nd in both positions).
KnicksScholar24
RealGM
And1: 287

Post#79 » by KnicksScholar24 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:22 pm

My pre-draft comparison was Mike Bibby. Curry may have less ball-handling, but he may have a bit more court vision.
It's hard being a Knicks fan...
Don
Rookie

Post#80 » by Don » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:23 am

Esohny wrote:
John Doe [MN] wrote:Five pages and no one has even mentioned Chauncey Billups?

Well, Billups will never be pushed over by a stiff breeze, for one thing. Curry will not be drawing a lot of fouls either posting up or driving, and I don't know if he ever sees the floor like Billups. And Billups is big and strong enough to at least guard SGs...Curry won't guard anyone effectively.

Honestly, Curry is probably going to be a shooter off the bench. Not that he can't be effective as an offensive spark, but he's not really that much like Billups. The only place he might be sorta similar is that he could learn enough to be more of a distributor as he gets older. The style isn't really close though.

Exactly. No comparison in their games.

Return to NBA Draft