[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Hail To The Redskins

Moderator: LyricalRico

WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Re: Hail To The Redskins 

Post#1401 » by WizStorm » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:32 pm

W. Unseld wrote:I don't buy that theory b/c i)it probably works if the Giants don't call time out and put new personal in and ii)he lucked out the last time he went with the exact same play coming out of a timeout.
The real shortcoming of that play call is that the Giants' defenders failed to count to 3 Mississippi before rushing in.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1402 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:09 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
mzaretsk wrote:someone post zorn's presser, where he defends the play. i think he was giggling.

Yeah, somebody in today's Post speculated that it might have been essentially a middle finger from Zorn to Snyder as payback for putting him in a position to fail. They guy will never be a head coach in the NFL again, so what does he have to lose?

If Zorn was that unprofessional, he'd never get a job doing anything in the NFL. I don't think he's a competent head coach, but I think he is a consumate professional - and certainly wouldn't do anything to intentionally make his team look grossly incompetent.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#1403 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:11 am

I really would love to see DHall shipped out asap. Apart from a few picks here and there, the guy brings nothing. He doesn't hit, doesn't cover well, sits way back off the line. Runs his yap plenty though.

I just hope Allen watches enough tape to see the guys who play with heart all the time: Lorenzo Alexander, Rock Cartwright, London Fletcher and a few others.

None of these guys are through the roof talented, but man you need a healthy dose of these guys to win in the NFL.

Who else would you all add to that list?
In Rizzo we trust
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 369

Post#1404 » by Silvie Lysandra » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:57 am

How about the guy who plays with heart all the time AND is through the roof talented? Rak is going to be a top 5 lineman in the NFL for a decade. And he hates to lose.

Overall, I still think we'll be fine once we get a o-line and a real defensive coach; the Giants were playing with their backs absolutely against the wall against a team that they own; I wasn't unsurprised at all it wasn't close. (though not 45-12, I thought we'd lose by two TDs minimum).

JC should be tendered, and kept if at all possible. This QB class is garbage; Bradford is the only semi-sure pick; I like McCoy but he has too many question marks. We need to come away from the offseason with 3 rookie linemen who will be expected to potentially start within 2 years.

If Cooley wasn't such an amazing character guy, amazing leader, top 5 TE, and an overall winner I'd trade him because Davis will likely be as good if not better. But Cooley is a "heart and soul" player, and you can't trade those guys.

I think in the long-term we'll be fine - Bruce Allen is GREAT at finding players to fill the lines. He drafted 3 Pro Bowl caliber linemen (Sears, Trueblood, Joseph) with a skeleton staff - now he has Danny Boy's resources and a green light from the General that this is his show. We'll likely bring in Shanahan, have him stabilize things on the field, while we groom a long-term successor (Kyle Shanahan? Gary Kubiak again?).
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#1405 » by verbal8 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:54 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:I really would love to see DHall shipped out asap. Apart from a few picks here and there, the guy brings nothing. He doesn't hit, doesn't cover well, sits way back off the line. Runs his yap plenty though.

I just hope Allen watches enough tape to see the guys who play with heart all the time: Lorenzo Alexander, Rock Cartwright, London Fletcher and a few others.

None of these guys are through the roof talented, but man you need a healthy dose of these guys to win in the NFL.

Who else would you all add to that list?

I think Carter has been pretty good this season. I would love to see him and Orakpo at the ends next year.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1406 » by LyricalRico » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:25 pm

verbal8 wrote:I think Carter has been pretty good this season. I would love to see him and Orakpo at the ends next year.

:nod:

Makes us thin at LB but you can pick up stop-gap LBs as easily as you can pick up stop gap RBs so I'm not all that worried in the short term. Let's fix the O-line this upcoming offseason and then get the LBs in 2011.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager

Post#1407 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:51 am

Gosh. I just noticed that we really suck.
In Rizzo we trust
verbal8
General Manager

Post#1408 » by verbal8 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:07 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Gosh. I just noticed that we really suck.

At least the end(of the season) is near.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Post#1409 » by W. Unseld » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:07 pm

This is what happens to a team when the steady hand of Vinny Cerrato is suddenly removed.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1410 » by LyricalRico » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:29 pm

W. Unseld wrote:This is what happens to a team when the steady hand of Vinny Cerrato is suddenly removed.

A bit tongue-in-cheeck I assume.

Really, this is what happens when you make an organizational change that clearly makes your unqualified head coach a lame duck. Zorn doesn't have anybody's respect in that locker room and Allen isn't getting his hands dirty yet. They should have gotten rid of Cerrato/Zorn as a package deal and just let Jerry Gray finish the season. That may have at least gotten the guys to be competitive.
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#1411 » by WizStorm » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:01 pm

LyricalRico wrote:A bit tongue-in-cheeck I assume.

Really, this is what happens when you make an organizational change that clearly makes your unqualified head coach a lame duck. Zorn doesn't have anybody's respect in that locker room and Allen isn't getting his hands dirty yet. They should have gotten rid of Cerrato/Zorn as a package deal and just let Jerry Gray finish the season. That may have at least gotten the guys to be competitive.
Definitely agree there. A bit of a no win situation, especially when your trying to jump the gun and begin courting other coaches before the season ends. Really, anybody in that situation would have been a lame duck. And when you have plenty of subpar talent AND they're unmotivated, you the get exactly the crap you see on TV (or if your smart, not see on TV). It really stings though just letting your rivals for the past 2 weeks walk all over you for playoff contention. Only good thing was giving the Giants a false sense of accomplishment and making them think they're better than they really are before facing the Panthers.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager

Post#1412 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:34 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
W. Unseld wrote:This is what happens to a team when the steady hand of Vinny Cerrato is suddenly removed.

A bit tongue-in-cheeck I assume.

I'm fine with the decision to keep Zorn on... at the time of Allen's hiring, he was actually starting to apprear to be a long shot contender to take the team. Despite his obvious inadequacies, he is a really solid citizen. He has been treated like garbage by this organization and, hopefully, his consistent path on the high road when 99% of the people in the world would have vented, will help land him a suitable job elsewhere. The guy could be an excellent college coach, methinks.
In Rizzo we trust
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#1413 » by pancakes3 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:30 am

tied with rams with fewest pro bowlers. stephen jackson for them. orakpo for us...

this is what happens when you trade away 1st rounders and stockpile 2nd rounders in the NFL.
Bullets -> Wizards
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#1414 » by Rafael122 » Mon Jan 4, 2010 2:16 am

Rumor has it Shanahan is bringing in his son as Offensive Coordinator and Mike Zimmer as Defensive Coordinator. Both of their contracts run out with their respective teams.

We're picking 4th by the way. Remember the name Russell Okung.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#1415 » by mohammed10 » Mon Jan 4, 2010 2:35 am

Rafael122 wrote:Rumor has it Shanahan is bringing in his son as Offensive Coordinator and Mike Zimmer as Defensive Coordinator. Both of their contracts run out with their respective teams.

Good stuff, Raf. We are tied with KC @ 4-12 records. Do we win (or lose, depending on your perspective) the tie-breaker with them? SOS, I believe).

RUmor hazzit that Shanny (if he is going to be named coach) wants a franchise QB to groom. Supposedly, he wants Sam Bradford.

Thoughts?
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager

Post#1416 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Jan 4, 2010 3:25 am

mohammed10 wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:Rumor has it Shanahan is bringing in his son as Offensive Coordinator and Mike Zimmer as Defensive Coordinator. Both of their contracts run out with their respective teams.

Good stuff, Raf. We are tied with KC @ 4-12 records. Do we win (or lose, depending on your perspective) the tie-breaker with them? SOS, I believe).

RUmor hazzit that Shanny (if he is going to be named coach) wants a franchise QB to groom. Supposedly, he wants Sam Bradford.

Thoughts?
Guy's got all the intangibles (the anti campbell). Tough to bet your franchises future on a guy with such injury questions though
In Rizzo we trust
wermolwermol777
Rookie
And1: 15

Post#1417 » by wermolwermol777 » Mon Jan 4, 2010 12:47 pm

I still want Campbell to stay. I believe he would be a whole lot better behind a line that could guarantee him just a little more time.
That said - I wouldn't mind a competition for the starting job at QB be it with a young drafted QB or whoever else.

What I wouldn't want though is for us to go all out on getting a QB and ignore or not put enough into patching up our Offensive Line as a result. I know it has been said many a time in various places, but seriously how long would Bradford survive behind this line? A game? Two? Anything longer must be considered a miracle of sorts.

I am a bit torn on the RB situation - Obviously Ganther isn't as good as the average starting RB in the league - nor do I think Betts is, but with a vastly improved O-Line could a committee of them or really anyone else of similar skill level be enough to give us a year?

I think our receivers are fine - Thomas came around in the 2nd half of the season, Kelly has been decent enough and Moss while perhaps not as good as he once was is still at least a 2/3 receiver. Add Mitchell with another offseason to the mix and I think that this is the least of our worries on the offensive side.

I am very interested to see what will happen regarding our Tight End situation - Coolley is a Prow Bowler and Davis has at least shown flashes of being able to be of similar skill level if not even better. Will we build our offense around having both of them? Will we trade one or even just have one sit most of the time?

I think our Defense is overrated. I don't think they're bad and obviously they've had a fair share of injuries as well, but when there is so much blame put on Campbell for not being able to finish games off - I really can't recall our defense doing that great in the same regard either.
They are better than our offense no doubt.

So very glad for Orakpo for getting the Pro Bowl nod already in his rookie year, but damn do I feel sad for Fletcher - yet again. We have Carter and Haynesworth and I am very excited about seeing Jarmon again next season.

I hope some of the future will become much clearer in already a few hours/days - and I really can't wait for the next season to start again.
wermolwermol777
Rookie
And1: 15

Post#1418 » by wermolwermol777 » Mon Jan 4, 2010 12:59 pm

And it is also official now - Washington Redskins Executive Vice President/General Manager Bruce Allen announced early Monday that Jim Zorn has been dismissed.
verbal8
General Manager

Post#1419 » by verbal8 » Mon Jan 4, 2010 1:15 pm

wermolwermol777 wrote:And it is also official now - Washington Redskins Executive Vice President/General Manager Bruce Allen announced early Monday that Jim Zorn has been dismissed.

Big shock there j/k :)
verbal8
General Manager

Post#1420 » by verbal8 » Mon Jan 4, 2010 1:51 pm

wermolwermol777 wrote:I still want Campbell to stay. I believe he would be a whole lot better behind a line that could guarantee him just a little more time.
That said - I wouldn't mind a competition for the starting job at QB be it with a young drafted QB or whoever else.

I was telling my wife last night the Redskins should have tried to get Volek to back-up Campbell. I think they need a very solid vet back-up(who is not collecting social security like Collins), who can step in if Campbell is not playing well.

wermolwermol777 wrote:What I wouldn't want though is for us to go all out on getting a QB and ignore or not put enough into patching up our Offensive Line as a result. I know it has been said many a time in various places, but seriously how long would Bradford survive behind this line? A game? Two? Anything longer must be considered a miracle of sorts.

The O-Line should absolutely be the number one priority. I think a combination of adding young vets and using draft picks is necessary. I think they should still bring in some undrafted guys too.

wermolwermol777 wrote:I am a bit torn on the RB situation - Obviously Ganther isn't as good as the average starting RB in the league - nor do I think Betts is, but with a vastly improved O-Line could a committee of them or really anyone else of similar skill level be enough to give us a year?

I think for next season the Skins should go with Betts/Mason/Ganther and possibly Cartwright. I think Portis days as an star feature RB are over. He might have a couple of seasons as a change of pace guy for a good team, but he does not make sense for a team that should be rebuilding next year.

wermolwermol777 wrote:I think our receivers are fine - Thomas came around in the 2nd half of the season, Kelly has been decent enough and Moss while perhaps not as good as he once was is still at least a 2/3 receiver. Add Mitchell with another offseason to the mix and I think that this is the least of our worries on the offensive side.

I think Randel-El needs to go. A vet possession receiver would be nice, but if Cooley and Davis stay they can fill that role.

wermolwermol777 wrote:I am very interested to see what will happen regarding our Tight End situation - Coolley is a Prow Bowler and Davis has at least shown flashes of being able to be of similar skill level if not even better. Will we build our offense around having both of them? Will we trade one or even just have one sit most of the time?

After how to improve the O-Line that is the biggest question mark this off-season. I like both players and if the coach can use both, that would be my ideal situation. However I would like to see one of them moved for other assets rather than riding the pine.

wermolwermol777 wrote:I think our Defense is overrated. I don't think they're bad and obviously they've had a fair share of injuries as well, but when there is so much blame put on Campbell for not being able to finish games off - I really can't recall our defense doing that great in the same regard either.
They are better than our offense no doubt.

I think the D-Line is a strength. A new coordinator could use Haynesworth to cause more havoc. The LB needs more depth. Orakpo should probably be DE, so the Skins need one new starter. Also an "understudy" for Fletcher would be a very smart move. I think the secondary is a weakness. I don't think Hall is worth the money he is paid. I think Landry gambles too much. I have never been overly impressed with Carlos Rogers.

Return to Washington Football Team