[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Hail To The Redskins

Moderator: LyricalRico

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Hail To The Redskins 

Post#1441 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 5, 2010 7:33 pm

Gilbert0Arenas wrote:We have Anthony Aldridge on the practice squad who apparently is a huge Shanahan favorite. Shanahan called him the fastest player he's ever seen and apparently he was tearing it up for the Broncos in practice and was going to be a primary back there before he had season ending injuries. I think he's going to be in the mix next year as a RB by committee player.

This is good news. Alridge looked great when I saw him, but he was injured for 2 of the preseason games, and he fumbled a kickoff, so they got short-sighted with him. I'm still confused as to what they saw in Mason that made them want him over Alridge. So Alridge fumbles kickoffs... here's an idea - don't use him as a kickoff returner. Use him as a RB. He put up huge numbers in college, and he was the fastest guy on the team in preseason. He's not durable enough to carry 25 times a game, but so what? Most good teams use 2 or 3 RBs. We can, too.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#1442 » by Wizards2Lottery » Tue Jan 5, 2010 9:40 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Gilbert0Arenas wrote:We have Anthony Aldridge on the practice squad who apparently is a huge Shanahan favorite. Shanahan called him the fastest player he's ever seen and apparently he was tearing it up for the Broncos in practice and was going to be a primary back there before he had season ending injuries. I think he's going to be in the mix next year as a RB by committee player.

This is good news. Alridge looked great when I saw him, but he was injured for 2 of the preseason games, and he fumbled a kickoff, so they got short-sighted with him. I'm still confused as to what they saw in Mason that made them want him over Alridge. So Alridge fumbles kickoffs... here's an idea - don't use him as a kickoff returner. Use him as a RB. He put up huge numbers in college, and he was the fastest guy on the team in preseason. He's not durable enough to carry 25 times a game, but so what? Most good teams use 2 or 3 RBs. We can, too.

Yup and to be honest with you, I really liked what I saw from Ganther as well. Ganther isn't a big dude but he's hard to take down and he can pick up tough yardage. I heard people on ESPN 980 saying that we need to draft a RB. In the zone blocking scheme, RB is the most useless need. One of the reasons why I'm happy that Shanahan is being named the coach. His teams have always been able to plug in low round draft picks into certain positions without losing much.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#1443 » by TheSecretWeapon » Tue Jan 5, 2010 9:45 pm

RBs can be found. It's the easiest skill position to fill with someone competent -- IF you have the offensive line.

The easiest positions to fill with someone competent are FB and TE. Which is one of the reasons the Sellers extension this season made me so cranky. Another reason was giving a multi-year extension to a guy who was 34, which means the team is far more likely to see his production fall into the abyss than to see him play well for another 4 seasons. Yet another was giving a multi-year deal to a pretty average FB. It'd be one thing if Sellers was All-World at his position, but while he's not bad, that's not the same as "good."
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1444 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 5, 2010 10:03 pm

I concur with both GOA and the Weapon. The blocking is more important to the running game than the RB. I also liked Ganther as a hungry runner with a forward lean and good vision who would be fine as part of the RB by committee. I'd even be fine with Cartwright as the 3rd down back - he can catch. It'd also be nice to acquire a FB who can occasionally run the ball. Sellers has serious issues on how to hold the ball in short yardage situations and appeared to lose a step this year.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#1445 » by Wizards2Lottery » Tue Jan 5, 2010 10:13 pm

Sellers is garbage and won't be retained by Shanahan. A guy to keep an eye on is Peyton Hillis. In his rookie season he filled in at TE, FB and RB for Shanahan. He's a FA this year and the Broncos will probably not keep him. I think he replaces Sellers this year.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1446 » by LyricalRico » Tue Jan 5, 2010 11:28 pm

Gilbert0Arenas wrote:Sellers is garbage and won't be retained by Shanahan. A guy to keep an eye on is Peyton Hillis. In his rookie season he filled in at TE, FB and RB for Shanahan. He's a FA this year and the Broncos will probably not keep him. I think he replaces Sellers this year.

:nod:
wermolwermol777
Rookie
And1: 15

Post#1447 » by wermolwermol777 » Wed Jan 6, 2010 1:12 am

Some drama while we all wait for the official HC announcement

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redski ... ortis.html

I find it difficult to not take Campbells side on the argument. As a matter of fact I am even somewhat glad to see him this upset about it.

One of them is gone at the very least - and I sure hope its Portis
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#1448 » by Wizards2Lottery » Wed Jan 6, 2010 1:25 am

Campbell has no room to say anything. He has sucked even with a healthy cast. He is nothing but an average QB in the league. I can't wait to see who Shanahan drafts to be his new guy. Thank god the Campbell era is finished.
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#1449 » by WizStorm » Wed Jan 6, 2010 1:27 am

wermolwermol777 wrote:Some drama while we all wait for the official HC announcement

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redski ... ortis.html

I find it difficult to not take Campbells side on the argument. As a matter of fact I am even somewhat glad to see him this upset about it.

One of them is gone at the very least - and I sure hope its Portis
I'd say they are both correct in their criticisms of each other. Campbell just comes out ahead in this cat fight because the Portis self love act has grown very tiresome. BOTH need to go.
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 369

Post#1450 » by Silvie Lysandra » Wed Jan 6, 2010 2:34 am

3600 yards, 20 TDs, 15 INTs, 7.1 ypa with some of the worst offensive talent and coaching in football, and a defense that regressed heavily from last year. What the hell do you want from him?
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#1451 » by Wizards2Lottery » Wed Jan 6, 2010 2:45 am

Chaos Revenant wrote:3600 yards, 20 TDs, 15 INTs, 7.1 ypa with some of the worst offensive talent and coaching in football, and a defense that regressed heavily from last year. What the hell do you want from him?

Wins and not garbage time stat padding. He's sucked when he has had talent around him so your talent argument doesn't stand well.
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#1452 » by WizStorm » Wed Jan 6, 2010 2:47 am

Chaos Revenant wrote:3600 yards, 20 TDs, 15 INTs, 7.1 ypa with some of the worst offensive talent and coaching in football, and a defense that regressed heavily from last year. What the hell do you want from him?
I dunno ... I'll start with better decision making and more wins.

I have been an ardent JC apologist over the years, but my eyes have been opened. He's exactly like Kwame ... all the physical tools in the world but simply doesn't have the mental capacity and drive to be anything other than a perennial disappointment. He'll wow you ever now and then to keep the fans in his corner, but will always come up short when it matters.
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#1453 » by yungal07 » Wed Jan 6, 2010 2:55 am

Gilbert0Arenas wrote:Campbell has no room to say anything. He has sucked even with a healthy cast. He is nothing but an average QB in the league. I can't wait to see who Shanahan drafts to be his new guy. Thank god the Campbell era is finished.

You better not thank god just yet, buddy.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#1454 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Wed Jan 6, 2010 4:00 am

Let's hope they both land on their feet... In Dallas. I've seen enough of both of them.
In Rizzo we trust
lupin
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#1455 » by lupin » Wed Jan 6, 2010 12:20 pm

I didn't know about the extra years or unamortized cap money; however, they could renegotiate/cut and re-sign (Portis might have interest in rehabilitating his image/career). Not only was he a good RB, he was also one of the best BLOCKING RBs in the league. I don't think that should go unmentioned, and now it won't.

Btw, I won't shed a tear either way, I'm just not a fan of dogpiles.
------------------------------
New RealGM :: New Coke :: is the suck.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#1456 » by verbal8 » Wed Jan 6, 2010 1:03 pm

WizStorm wrote:

I have been an ardent JC apologist over the years, but my eyes have been opened. He's exactly like Kwame ... all the physical tools in the world but simply doesn't have the mental capacity and drive to be anything other than a perennial disappointment. He'll wow you ever now and then to keep the fans in his corner, but will always come up short when it matters.

Campbell's numbers have always seemed better than his production in key situations.

Unless a great QB is available I think Campbell should be QB for another year or two. I think adding a vet back-up who is a legitimate challenge to Campbell to start and can step in is the key for the near term.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1457 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 6, 2010 1:07 pm

WizStorm wrote:

Yup. He has improved, but he still makes far too many mistakes. But more than that, he NEVER comes through in the clutch. He's the worst 2 minute drill QB I've ever seen, and once the Skins get behind, they're always finished with him. He never leads them to come from behind victories. He just doesn't seem to have a sense of urgency or the ability to rally the team - that you expect in a QB.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1458 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jan 6, 2010 1:11 pm

^ Agreed. Campbell isn't going to win any games for you with his play. You have to have a great defense and a solid running game so you can get the lead early and let Campbell just hold it for you.

A team like Carolina might be a good fit for him if they part ways with Delhomme.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1459 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jan 6, 2010 2:53 pm

Jay Glazer says Shanahan wiill have full control. Here's the video:

http://msn.foxsports.com/video/NFL?vid= ... 3c8b6f8ebc
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#1460 » by Rafael122 » Wed Jan 6, 2010 3:02 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Jay Glazer says Shanahan wiill have full control. Here's the video:

http://msn.foxsports.com/video/NFL?vid= ... 3c8b6f8ebc

My reply is here: viewforum.php?f=182 where it should be. :) Shameless plug for the Skins board that nobody goes to, despite the fact that a lot of people post in this thread. BE MORE ACTIVE!
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.

Return to Washington Football Team