ImageImageImageImageImage

Giants Hire Perry Fewell for DC

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

hobojoe2131
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Giants Hire Perry Fewell for DC 

Post#1 » by hobojoe2131 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:42 pm

Ex Bills DC. He runs a tampa 2 which I dont think is a fit at all with our personnel but we'll see if he adapts his system. He supposedly is a great motivator and his secondary always makes plays.
^ MP creation
I_Love_NYK
RealGM
And1: 122

Re: Giants Hire Perry Fewell for DC 

Post#2 » by I_Love_NYK » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:04 pm

I want the def coordinator to get back to what the Giants do best and that is get at the QB, something that was non-existant last year. Sheridan's dumbass making his D-Linemen drop into coverage right when the ball snaps, I can see why Osi walked out on him. And zone coverages gotta stop, Corey Webster was confused all year, he is a press coverage guy.

Buffalo has had some pretty solid defenses under him they just could not score the ball. Any other way the Defense can't get any worse then it was under Sheridan.

They have the speed at Defensive Linemen for a Tampa 2, but definitely not at linebacker position. Maybe Boley and Sintim are the only line backers with above average speed, they will probably draft a linebacker with the 1st rounder.
hobojoe2131
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#3 » by hobojoe2131 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:43 pm

Well Boley and Sintim are going to be starting next year and they are replacing Pierce in MLB. We also have the line to make the cover 2 work. If KP comes back fully healthy we will only need one safety, and this is a safety heavy draft.

imo, offseason needs:

MLB: Draft (Rolando McClain, Brandon Spikes) FA (D'Quell Jackson, Kirk Morrison)
Safety: a ton in the draft including Berry, Taylor Mays, Earl Thomas, Nate Allen and Nick Collins from GB who will be a fa.
O Line: Probably filled through the draft
DT: Robbins, Rocky and maybe Cofield will be gone. We could stand to draft a DT in the first few rounds. Brian Price comes to mind.
^ MP creation
I_Love_NYK
RealGM

Post#4 » by I_Love_NYK » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:53 am

I think they will make an attempt to keep Barry Cofield, he is still young. Chris Canty I will give him one year, he got a huge contract. Rocky Bernard I don't know what happened but he got a 4 year deal also.

Fred Robbins is definitely done, his knee is not the same after surgery and he is the oldest out of the bunch, he was great at stopping the run when healthy.

I think they should address LB first in the draft.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,884

Post#5 » by blueNorange » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:34 am

i like it, sure he's not a blitz happy guy but he's known for the secondary work. besides when you have passrushers like tuck, osi, kiwi, a healthy alford, and canty they'll get pressure on the qb. i wonder with him if the giants will draft safety earl thomas.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
I_Love_NYK
RealGM

Post#6 » by I_Love_NYK » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:23 pm

After week 2 Justin Tuck basically played the season with one shoulder. Osi Uemyiora say what you want, but he still led the team in sacks, and now that the season is over I can see why Sheridan and Osi did not see eye to eye. A healthy Kenny Phillips will help a whole-lot as he proved already before he got hurt, he can cover the deep ball. Chris Canty also was hurt most of the year, I still believe he can be what we expect him to be, the guy is huge at 6'7.

The Defensiveline struggled to get to the QB, but they had no time to work because the secondary was leaving receivers open within 2-3 seconds already.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,495

Post#7 » by cgf » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:54 am

Just wondering but have you guys actually seen him at work? Buffalo ran a lot of single high blitz heavy stuff last year. Sure the cover-2 was there as well, but Fewell mixes things up a lot and what I love is that he adjust extremely well to his personnel.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
I_Love_NYK
RealGM

Post#8 » by I_Love_NYK » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:19 pm

One thing for sure is Fewell let's his corners do man coverage, Sheridan switched to Zone coverage and we all know what happened there. I know a die-hard Bills fan who said if Fewell had the talent they would have done more damage. Any other way last year the safeties were horrible, James Butler was no stud but he is alot better than what we had. A healthy Kenny Phillips with Antrel Rolle should take care of the deep ball coverage.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,495

Post#9 » by cgf » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:43 am

I_Love_NYK wrote:One thing for sure is Fewell let's his corners do man coverage, Sheridan switched to Zone coverage and we all know what happened there. I know a die-hard Bills fan who said if Fewell had the talent they would have done more damage. Any other way last year the safeties were horrible, James Butler was no stud but he is alot better than what we had. A healthy Kenny Phillips with Antrel Rolle should take care of the deep ball coverage.

Yeah, Fewell may have cut his teeth under a Tampa-2 coach, but he does something I love in a co-ordinator, he adjusts to his personnel extremely well that also helps him endear himself to his players since he doesn't make them do things that they can't and they know that.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Return to New York Giants