2009 Offseseason

Moderator: Rafael122

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,774

2009 Offseseason 

Post#1 » by Rafael122 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:25 pm

The Orioles will have lots of money to spend this offseason, if they spend it. I believe they have something like $34 million committed to the payroll so there's room for increase in that area.

The team is set now and for the foreseeable future at Catcher, 2nd base, and the outfield positions.

Izturis is our shortstop for at least another year. We have a glaring hole at first and third base.
Orioles are rumored to be interested in Dan Uggla, Pedro Feliz, and Garrett Atkins.

Pitching, I think the bullpen is fine. Koji will be moved to the pen. It's the starters. Brad Bergesen, Chris Tillman, and Jeremy Guthrie are our starters. You figure Brian Matusz is in that rotation as well. It's not far fetched to say that if the Orioles can get a John Lackey, with this offense, the team could compete for a wildcard spot.

I'm also interested in Chone Figgins. Put him and Roberts at the top of the lineup, and that offense would be even more lethal.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Re: 2009 Offseseason 

Post#2 » by WizStorm » Wed Dec 9, 2009 11:27 pm

1st Trade of the off-season completed:
Kevin Millwood + 3mill cash for Chris Ray

So the O's get a veteran innings eater in Kevin Millwood and his 1 year $12 million price tag. The 3 million will bring that down to a 9 million deal and give up a once promising closer in Chris Ray whose a big question mark recovering from his injury.

I like the deal. I think we need a bit more bullpen help along with filling needs at 1st/3rd.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#3 » by Rafael122 » Wed Dec 9, 2009 11:38 pm

I think their thinking is...if they can get innings eaters, we wouldn't have to rely on the pen so much.

Also read they are interested in Bedard, who when healthy, has filthy stuff. That's not a bad rotation 1-2-3 actually.

Heard Pedro Feliz seems to be the target at third but for 1 year.
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by WizStorm » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:27 am

Added a 3b in Garrett Atkins (1 year deal)
Added a closer/bullpen in Mike Gonzalez (lost 2nd round pick) (2 year deal)

About the only big need on the shopping list is at 1B (preferrably a big bat). Of course, more immediate pitching help wouldn't hurt either.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by Rafael122 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:14 pm

I read on Fox Sports that they have entered the Holliday race. If they can get him, that means Reimold would move to first, and Scott would be traded. But then again, we wouldn't have a DH.
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by WizStorm » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:43 pm

If Holliday was acquired, I wouldn't rule out a trade for a 1B using our OF surplus and young pitching. Marakakis, Jones, Holliday, Reimold, Pie and Scott (and can even throw in Wiggington) would be a huge logjam at OF/DH, even if we moved one of them to 1B full-time.

I am wondering if the Holliday rumors could be connected with the Adrian Gonzalez trade rumors. The Padres are looking for a starting CF and young pitching, a surplus of which the O's possess.
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by WizStorm » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:51 pm

Welcome back Miggy! Hope he can learn 3rd base in short order.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by Rafael122 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:52 am

Don't know if I like the move. He's not going to be batting cleanup because he's basically lost all his power, so will he bat in the 2 hole or what? And for $6 million? I mean wow...Ben Sheets wants $10 million per year. Yeah, he hasn't pitched in almost 2 years, but I would take a risk like that and see if it pays off.

Our problem isn't offense. In fact, I think we have way too many options now. It's pitching. Millwood and Guthrie is a fine 1-2 tandem. But we don't have a 3, 4, or 5. I mean, we have pitchers who can fill those spots but we have no way of knowing how well they are going to do b/c of minimal MLB experience.

Return to Baltimore Orioles