Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

jolbin
Pro Prospect
And1: 196

Jan Vesely 

Post#1 » by jolbin » Sun Mar 7, 2010 12:43 pm

He will be a steal of this draft, imo..
He is a young 19 yo SF/PF, with Joe Alexander like athletic abilities and a good post game.. He can also hit a jumper from long range.. I am sure a team like Spurs will draft him and jump start in a new era..
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Re: Jan Vesely 

Post#2 » by princeofpalace » Sun Mar 7, 2010 3:56 pm

I havent seen Vesely play but Joe Alexander is not a name you want to reference if talking about draft steals IMO
jolbin
Pro Prospect

Post#3 » by jolbin » Sun Mar 7, 2010 5:54 pm

Lol:)
I just said he is just as athletic as Joe, but he has an actual game :)
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,551

Post#4 » by BarbaGrizz » Tue Mar 9, 2010 5:57 am

A Bargnani with better defense?
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
Gilles
Rookie
And1: 70

Post#5 » by Gilles » Tue Mar 9, 2010 8:53 am

BarbaGrizz wrote:A Bargnani with better defense?

Vesely is not that long and he's not the shot-blocker or shooter Andrea is but he rebounds and plays inside better. More physical player. I think in terms of style Motiejunas is closer to Bargnani although i must admit Andrea is slowly making improvements in his areas of weakness.
brassviews
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Post#6 » by brassviews » Tue Mar 9, 2010 4:08 pm

BarbaGrizz wrote:A Bargnani with better defense?

Vesely isn't soft.

Anyways, I'm not quite sure Vesely will be coming to NBA next season if he's drafted. The same goes for Motiejunas.
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Post#7 » by Jazzfan12 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:52 pm

http://www.europeanprospects.com/1990-b ... an-vesely/

Interesting stuff. I didn't know he shot 48% from three.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,070

Post#8 » by sisibilio » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:42 pm

One thing is for sure, the guy can jump out of the gym.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv94UTAmagE
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#9 » by blkout » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:20 pm

princeofpalace wrote:I havent seen Vesely play but Joe Alexander is not a name you want to reference if talking about draft steals IMO

:lol: was thinking the same thing. Most of us at the Bucks board want Vesely.
JustMagic
Senior
And1: 24

Post#10 » by JustMagic » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:42 pm

sisibilio wrote:One thing is for sure, the guy can jump out of the gym.

After watching him up close in that same game vs Tel-Aviv, I can say he's potencially top5 pick.
A legit 6-10+ with great speed, lateral quickness and developing skill. He just needs more confidence.

I don't like the Yi Jianlian comparison on nbadraft.net.
jolbin
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by jolbin » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:20 pm

JustMagic wrote:

After watching him up close in that same game vs Tel-Aviv, I can say he's potencially top5 pick.
A legit 6-10+ with great speed, lateral quickness and developing skill. He just needs more confidence.

That is what i have been saying all the time..
He is much better than Motiejunas imo..
Alyosha12
Analyst
And1: 178

Post#12 » by Alyosha12 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:35 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rWbVlh3LXs

Vesely IMO is a franchise calibre player he reminds me somewhat of Soutdemire as far as his jumping ability and explosives goes, he is not as strong as him ofcourse but still...

Any team that will take a gamble on him, will end up the winner of the draft, especially if they leave him in Partizan for 1 more year under Dule Vujošević to iron out some kinks in his 1on1 game and he will be awesome.

He is nowhere near comparable to Bargnini or Galinari or Motiejunas he is a totally different beast.
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Post#13 » by Jazzfan12 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:48 pm

I like Vesely, but his rebounding numbers are just horrible. I mean, 3.5 rebounds a game? For a player who will probably have to play power forward, those are just awful numbers.
brassviews
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by brassviews » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:49 pm

Alyosha - Somewhere between Stoudemire and Josh Smith but a lot tougher. I just hope Vesely doesn't end up in a bad situation with a bad coach like Golden State.

Jazzfan12 wrote:I like Vesely, but his rebounding numbers are just horrible. I mean, 3.5 rebounds a game? For a player who will probably have to play power forward, those are just awful numbers.

Obtaining rebounds in Euroleague is a lot of tougher than obtaining rebounds in the NBA. 3.5 is not great but it's not bad.
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#15 » by ponder276 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:03 pm

Alyosha12 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rWbVlh3LXs

Vesely IMO is a franchise calibre player he reminds me somewhat of Soutdemire as far as his jumping ability and explosives goes, he is not as strong as him ofcourse but still...

Any team that will take a gamble on him, will end up the winner of the draft, especially if they leave him in Partizan for 1 more year under Dule Vujošević to iron out some kinks in his 1on1 game and he will be awesome.

He is nowhere near comparable to Bargnini or Galinari or Motiejunas he is a totally different beast.

JustMagic wrote:

LOL at this guy being a franchise player or top 5 pick. He's very athletic for a Euro prospect, but his athleticism is not exceptional by NBA standards. He's very skinny, and may or may not bulk up. He's a horrendous rebounder. As a PF he would get pushed around in the post and grab far to few boards, as a SF his handle and general perimeter game is not up to par. He has a decent jumper. I think he's a 1st round pick with some upside, and he'll probably be a solid role player, but if you watch this guy play and think "franchise player" then you need your head examined. I saw a full game of his vs. Olympiacos a few months ago, I think it was a pretty standard game for him (scored 11 points I think? According to draft express he averages around 8 ppg in both domestic and euroleague play), and I did not think he looked like a potential franchise player at all, much more like a nice hustle/energy/defense athletic tweener with a decent j. He might sneak into the lottery, but no way is he going anywhere close to top 5.
brassviews
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by brassviews » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:18 pm

^^^ Just admit that you only watch a few games (maybe less) of Euroleague this season.
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#17 » by ponder276 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:23 pm

brassviews wrote:^^^ Just admit that you only watch a few games (maybe less) of Euroleague this season.

100% true, but franchise talents/top 5 picks (in a good draft like this one) should jump out at you as tremendously skilled/talented, Vesely did not do that for me at all.
JustMagic
Senior
And1: 24

Post#18 » by JustMagic » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:29 pm

Jazzfan12 wrote:I like Vesely, but his rebounding numbers are just horrible. I mean, 3.5 rebounds a game? For a player who will probably have to play power forward, those are just awful numbers.

Well, from what i've seen: on the defensive end he's always guarding outside- shooting-guards or 2-3 type of players (like Anderson or Eidson of Maccabi) or even point-guards. On offense he's also plays alot far from the basket. It explains his low rebound numbers.

Anyway, he looks completely like a SF, and that's in euro-ball, so I don't see him ever being a PF in the NBA.

ponder276 wrote:
brassviews wrote:^^^ Just admit that you only watch a few games (maybe less) of Euroleague this season.

100% true, but franchise talents/top 5 picks (in a good draft like this one) should jump out at you as tremendously skilled/talented, Vesely did not do that for me at all.

Well, I never said he's a franchise player, and saying top 5 pick doesn't implay it.
I meant that in some draft situation he could end up being a top 5 pick. There are some drafts where you don't expect the 2nd pick to be a franchise player.
He's definitely got the potential to be an allstar caliber player.
Alyosha12
Analyst
And1: 178

Post#19 » by Alyosha12 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:32 pm

ponder276 wrote:
Alyosha12 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rWbVlh3LXs

JustMagic wrote:

LOL at this guy being a franchise player or top 5 pick. He's very athletic for a Euro prospect, but his athleticism is not exceptional by NBA standards. He's very skinny, and may or may not bulk up. He's a horrendous rebounder. As a PF he would get pushed around in the post and grab far to few boards, as a SF his handle and general perimeter game is not up to par. He has a decent jumper. I think he's a 1st round pick with some upside, and he'll probably be a solid role player, but if you watch this guy play and think "franchise player" then you need your head examined. I saw a full game of his vs. Olympiacos a few months ago, I think it was a pretty standard game for him (scored 11 points I think? According to draft express he averages around 8 ppg in both domestic and euroleague play), and I did not think he looked like a potential franchise player at all, much more like a nice hustle/energy/defense athletic tweener with a decent j. He might sneak into the lottery, but no way is he going anywhere close to top 5.

Yeah one game sure makes you an expert. I watched DeMarcus Cousins play 1 game and he absolutely sucked to high heaven but the difference is that i'm realistic enough to know that 1 games is hardly a sample size.
This is Vesely's first Euroleague season and first Adriatic league season. His rebounding numbers are misleading because he plays with Maric at C who is a tremendous rebounder and Veselys job is to box out. Partizan is known for having really strict rules who rebounds and who boxes out. In the 5 games that Maric missed due to injured Vsely grabbed 8rpg which is something like 11 or 12 rebounds in the NBA. Also lets not forget that Vesely only plays 23mpg.
I really like the Josh Smith and Amare mix comparison someone made i think its perfect.
You can believe me if you like, but i have been right when i said that M.Gasol would be a 15 10 player, Scola would be a great starter, that Bargnini will not be anywhere near Dirks level or a franchise player TO thought he would be, that Gallinari would be better then Bargs but still not a franchise, that Dragic in his first year would average 8 and 5, sure i was wrong by half a year, but he was in Porter's dog house, i said Ilyasova would do good in his first year but would be a straky scorer, that Yi would only be an average player, i said Scola would be an excellent starter calibre player etc. I was only surprised by Casspi but tbh i didn't watch enough of his games and i thought Fernandez would do better, but i think he is not in an ideal situation.

Only time will tell i just wish in a few years you will remember this thread lol.

EDIT TO ADD: may be i went a bit overboard with the franchise thing but he will definitely be an allstar
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#20 » by NetsForce » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:15 am

Vesley is not a lot tougher than Smith or Stoudemire o_O... It's not even close actually... Truth be told athletically he doesn't compare to either one of them either...

He is an intriguing prospect in that he's a foreign player capable of playing above the rim but let's not get carried away here...

Return to NBA Draft