ImageImageImageImageImage

2010 Draft Chat!

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

I_Love_NYK
RealGM
And1: 122

Re: 2010 Draft Chat! 

Post#21 » by I_Love_NYK » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:20 am

Jonathan Goff did not do a good job and he also did not do a bad job at MLB over Pierce. I just don't see him as a starter material, either they see something in Gerris Wilkerson as a MLB or Goff may be that good. LBs drafted 4th round and above usually just become special teams. I don't know how low of a pick the Raiders want for Kirk Morrison, but he will definitely not be in a Raider uniform next year.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#22 » by blueNorange » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:08 am

krustytheclown wrote:2 bad picks while not addressing our need for a god damn line backer or another defensive back :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: he better pray spikes is there at our next pick

giants did address their needs

they couldn't get to the qb - check with JPP(who along with tuck, osi, kiwi, and sintim will be thrown at to pressure the qb)

they couldn't stop the run - check with jones and joseph

think about it, with a pure NT which is highly conveted in the NFL because they don't grow on trees giants can do some 3-4 formations but when they run the 3-4 they'll move cofield to his natural DT slot and pair tuck with joseph which means nobody will run on their side because tuck is great against the run and joseph is 330 pounds of fat

jones is 220 who can play in the box and is a great run supporter which johnson is not ... do you remember the times witten would still run while drag thomas with him??

also don't forget that fewell LOVES playing 3 safeties on passing downs.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
bishnykfan
Knicks Forum Game Commish
And1: 13,599

Post#23 » by bishnykfan » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:14 am

I like all three picks by themselves, but taken together they don't seem like they much make sense. It was obvious we needed a LB at some point and to not take one in the first three picks is a headscratcher. Joseph looks like he maybe able to play in a rotation with Alford, Canty, Coefield, and Bernard. And JPP can play third downs right away IMO with Tuck, Kiwi, and Osi. I am wondering if the plan is to move Kiwi back to OLB? I like JPP and Joseph, but how many DL do you need?

I would also like to add another OL in the draft tomorrow. Bruce Campbell would be someone I would love if he ever fell in round four. Especially considering it doesn't seem like Reese will draft a LB this year that will make an impact.
All-Time Draft

PG- Oscar Robertson/Bob Cousy
SG- Earl Monroe/James Harden/Dana Barros
SF- Billy Cunningham/Michael Finley/Chet Walker
PF- Elvin Hayes/Dolph Schayes/Tom Chambers/Danny Manning
C- Walt Bellamy/Neil Johnston/Darryl Dawkins
bishnykfan

Post#24 » by bishnykfan » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:19 am

blueNorange wrote:
krustytheclown wrote:2 bad picks while not addressing our need for a god damn line backer or another defensive back :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: he better pray spikes is there at our next pick

giants did address their needs

they couldn't get to the qb - check with JPP(who along with tuck, osi, kiwi, and sintim will be thrown at to pressure the qb)

they couldn't stop the run - check with jones and joseph

think about it, with a pure NT which is highly conveted in the NFL because they don't grow on trees giants can do some 3-4 formations but when they run the 3-4 they'll move cofield to his natural DT slot and pair tuck with joseph which means nobody will run on their side because tuck is great against the run and joseph is 330 pounds of fat

jones is 220 who can play in the box and is a great run supporter which johnson is not ... do you remember the times witten would still run while drag thomas with him??

also don't forget that fewell LOVES playing 3 safeties on passing downs.

I don't see the Giants playing any 3-4. Unless Kiwi moves back to LB they just have much better players along the DL. No reason to take a lineman off the field for a LB. The one thing I will say (and I said it last year and was very wrong), is if healthy, the Giants pass rush should be scary. Passing down... Osi and JPP on the ends, Tuck and Kiwi at tackle, with Sintim coming off the edge! If Ross is healthy and Webster rebounds, the Giants maybe able to overcome the weakness they will have at LB.
All-Time Draft

blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#25 » by blueNorange » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:15 am

this is why i don't think the giants aren't getting a MLB because we'll be seeing a lot of this on passing downs

tuck - joseph - cofield/canty/kiwi - osi

boley

webster - thomas - phillips - rolle - grant/jones - ross
LOL Y U MAD THO?
I_Love_NYK
RealGM

Post#26 » by I_Love_NYK » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:22 pm

I think Sintim will have a breakout 2010, and I can see Fewell using Phillips, Rolle and Grant on passing downs. They drafted Chad Jones just incase Phillips is not fully recovered. Michael Johnson will just be special teams he was horrible in 2009. Corey Webster, I guess it was the fact that there was no pass rush and he really isn't as good as I thought? Or he is just not the type of guy who is good to play Zone Coverage. He was solid in 2007 and 2008 all over receivers. I think Bernard will be cut, he was absolutely useless, I still see potential in Canty.
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#27 » by mjhp911 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:27 pm

Finally! The fourth round pick, #115 overall, is inside linebacker Phillip Dillard from Nebraska...
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by mjhp911 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:44 pm

The fifth round pick is in, #147 overall, Mitch Petrus, OG, Arkansas.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#29 » by nykgeneralmanager » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:21 pm

I really really like the first 3 picks. Three guys that can be long-term fixtures on this defense. People will be mad that they don't directly fill our need of a MLB, but if we are able to build our D-line back to 2007 form and now our secondary looks like one of the best in the league (on paper, health and progress withstanding), our hole at LB doesn't seem nearly as dramatic. The offense is loaded with young talent at skill positions, and now the defense seems to be rebuilt. We are essentially adding Rolle, Phillips, JPP, Joseph, Jones, and Dillard to the defense next season. Not to mention a healthy Tuck and hopefully a mentally stable Osi. If Fewell is for real then we might just see a very good bounce back season by the D.
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by mjhp911 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:52 pm

Sixth round pick, #184 overall, Adrian Tracy, LB, William and Mary... Seventh round pick, #221 overall, Matt Dodge, P, East Carolina. Wha, a punter?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#31 » by blueNorange » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:20 pm

^ i've heard feagles may retire in the next coming week

also i've heard great things dillard, high motor guy. so it's goff vs dillard vs wilkinson for the MLB ... wilkinson has the edge because he's the fastest guy, he just has to stay healthy. i gave up on him but i was a huge fan and loved his upside when the giants got him.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
I_Love_NYK
RealGM

Post#32 » by I_Love_NYK » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:50 pm

I had big hopes for Wilkerson in 2008, he filled in well on that Playoff game against the Bucs in 2007 when Kawika Mitchell went down. The Giants last good OLB was Kawika Mitchell, Boley still too early to say if its a good or bad pickup he was hurt last year. I think Clint Sintim will be a stud, I like his speed off the line. I trust Jerry Reese when it comes to draft picks.

2007 - Aaron Ross, solid player was hurt in 2009 but he gets the job done.
2007 - Ahmad Bradshaw a 7th round steal, he has great cuts and can start for other teams.
2007 - Kevin Boss another 7th round steal, great hands and has become a better blocker.
2008 - Kenny Phillips had a good rookie season, and started 2009 well before the injury. I am pretty sure he will have a full recovery in 2010 and he will have a good year. Safeties from the U, Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Brandon Meriweather.
2009 - Hakeem Nicks - got hurt in 2009 and had a slow start but the 2nd half of the season he definitely showed he is #1 receiver material.
2009 - William Beatty - He will be in the starting rotation by end of next season.

The Giants won it in 2007 with a Dominant D-Line and that's what Coughlin wants to go back to. Keep in mind Reggie Torbor was in that starting lineup and where is he now. But I would rather have him than Danny Clark. Who knows maybe there is something in Dillard that he do not know about.
bishnykfan

Post#33 » by bishnykfan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:14 pm

I agree with most everything you said other then Boss (he was a fifth round steal, not seventh.

Reeses drafts:

20 Aaron Ross
51 Steve Smith
81 Jay Alford
116 Zak DeOssie
153 Kevin Boss
189 Adam Koets
224 Michael Johnson
250 Ahmad Bradshaw

31 Kenny Phillips
63 Terrell Thomas
95 Mario Manningham
123 Brian Kehl
165 Johnathan Goff
198 Andre Woodson
199 Robert Henderson

29 Hakeem Nicks
45 Clint Sintim
60 William Beatty
85 Ramses Barden
100 Travis Beckum
129 Andre Brown
151 Rhett Bomar
200 DeAndre Wright
238 Stoney Woodson

Three years, 24 picks. So many good players, Reese has earned the benefit of the doubt.
All-Time Draft

blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#34 » by blueNorange » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:19 pm

20 Aaron Ross = mediocre, solid nickel although i prefer bruce johnson
51 Steve Smith = stud
81 Jay Alford = question mark and has potential but with linval johnson he'll be a special teamer again
116 Zak DeOssie = pro bowl special teamer
153 Kevin Boss = top tight end in the nfl. not involved in the offense but does damage when thrown. excellent blocking skills
189 Adam Koets = dud, he's been a project all this time. cut ties, giants got petrus to hope for now
224 Michael Johnson = i was a sucker for him but he's too small and weak to be a safety, he's gonna be cut
250 Ahmad Bradshaw = people overrate him a lot, he's a good change of pace guy but doesn't have elite break away speed

31 Kenny Phillips = could be a stud but with his injury ... let's just say chad jones is a great draft pick
63 Terrell Thomas = physical #2 who while isn't fast and doesn't tackle well, he's still a good starter
95 Mario Manningham = steal, he takes bad routes and has bad hands but he has tremendous talent.
123 Brian Kehl = eh, special teamer
165 Johnathan Goff = strong guy and will probably be a starter but don't have high hopes. wait and see with him, 30/70 he's a keeper
198 Andre Woodson = lol
199 Robert Henderson = he's working at arby's

29 Hakeem Nicks = S-T-U-D
45 Clint Sintim = great pass rusher but is really better suited in a 3-4 scheme
60 William Beatty = starting tackle this year, has great potential but must keep focus
85 Ramses Barden = project but has high upside at 6'6" and 230
100 Travis Beckum = got injured and was behind everyone else ala manningham. he'll be a big weapon this year in the backfield ala ward
129 Andre Brown = it's a shame his career is over, achilles injury to a running back is like a pitcher coming back from elbow and shoulder surgery.
151 Rhett Bomar = quick release, teams will always trade for a qb for that glimmer of hope
200 DeAndre Wright = who??
238 Stoney Woodson = who??

so far reese has drafted:

3 studs(nicks, smith, and phillips*)
1 real good player(boss)
4 good players(manningham, bradshaw, deossie, and thomas)
3 players who are a question mark but could be good(beatty, sintim, beckum, and brown*)
4 average players(ross, goff, kehl, and alford)
1 project(barden)
1 player noone cares about(bomar)
6 busts(woodson, wright, woodson, henderson, koets, and johnson)
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by mjhp911 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:39 pm

Adalius Thomas released... worth a look-see?
I_Love_NYK
RealGM

Post#36 » by I_Love_NYK » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:42 pm

It will be interesting to see what will happen with the receivers, will Ramses Barden be ready and if not why not use him strictly on the red zone. You don't need to run the best routes when your 6'6 230 pounds with good leaping ability, especially with his hand size.

Mario Manningham dropped like 3 would be touchdowns last year, but he can get in the backfield.

Domenik Hixon - I gave up on him, he should just be a returner.

Sinorice Moss - Why did they bring him back?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#37 » by blueNorange » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:32 pm

mjhp911 wrote:Adalius Thomas released... worth a look-see?

no thanks, i already made my mind up of the potential awesomeness of tuck and joseph playing together because nobody is gonna run on their side and since joseph is a strong guy he can create holes for tuck to get the qb.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
I_Love_NYK
RealGM

Post#38 » by I_Love_NYK » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:13 am

Chris Canty better show up this season, he was hurt last year. The guy is huge and should be able to cause problems for opposing offensive lines. Do they keep Barry Coefiled?

I believe Rocky Bernard will be cut.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,740

Post#39 » by cgf » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:36 pm

So I haven't posted in here for a while and figured I'd put down my draft grade for our beloved Giants.

1. JPP, DE
Kid won't have a big impact as a rookie but has a practically limitless ceiling, has a high motor and landed in the perfect situation for him. He'll get to sit and work with some great coaches and get advice from a great group of ends. I probably would've taken Dan Williams at this point but I can't gripe about JPP with the questions about Kiwi's future with the team after this season, contract's up, and Osi's ability to fully recover and become the player he used to be. Worst case senario we can tag Kiwi and trade him or bring back the 4 aces pressure package. Plus JPP is a massive project but a great prospect, the kid's dumb as a rock but that's OK at DE, he's got massive potential and the kid works hard, that's one thing his tape proves beyond a doubt he brought it on every down at USF.
B+

2. Linval Joseph, DT
A simply massive man with great athleticism for his size. Competition is a question and he's still raw, but he does a good job penetrating and also has a nice motor. DT was our biggest need by far and Joseph could dramatically improve our redzone D as a rookie in the rotation. I think he's another prospect who could be a perennial probowler at his peak although it might take a little while for him to get there. I like and if we do end up signing Big John Henderson I like it even more. Kid's like a slightly shorter but more explosive Big John so he could learn a lot of Henderson does join the giants and become re-motivated.
A-

3. Chad Jones, SS
Another project player Jones has phenominal potential at SS and could end up starting with Rolle if Kenny's knee condition derails his career. Either way we haven't had legit quality S depth for as long as I've been a fan and now we have what could be a 3 starting caliber safeties which makes us even more versatile on D as we could play Jones and Kenny as our traditional safeties while Rolle is given the green light to freelance and make plays.
B

4. Phillip Dillard, LB
LB was a weird position, only Boley was guaranteed to be a starter, Goff looked better than expected when he took over for AP behind a horrendous DT rotation so while he was upgradeable no LB taken in the third round or later was going to supplant him as a rookie. At SLB I think the team gives Sintim his shot before making another investment into the position. For all of the questions about his cover ability he plays the run very well and can really get after the passer with good athleticism to improve in coverage. Dillard looks like a backup at WLB and MLB with his nice bulk and speed. I would've taken Chaney, but Dillard will be a good solid guy.
C+

5. Michael Petrus, OG
Our OL suffered greatly because we got old at some key spots, namely LG, C and RT, at RT McKenzie had gotten banged up but Beatty stepped in well and Guy Whimper has stepped in before. Fortunately Beatty should be taking over at LT letting Diehl slide inside to LG or over to RT, either way way we still needed a project on the inside to develop at C or at Guard to potentially let Snee move to C. I like Petrus' athleticism as he seems like the type of interior lineman we like, he'll pull well and seems like he's got that toughness we demand even if he doesn't have the lower body strength yet.
B

6. Adrian Tracy, SLB
A good athlete and relentless edge rusher, Tracy will be groomed to be Sintim's backup at SLB. Haven't seen much of the kid but what I have was impressive, hope he works out and becomes a quality backup.
C

7. Matt Dodge, P
Jeff Feagles is 44 years old and the NFL's current oldest player. He's been a fantastically accurate punter who really excels at pining teams inside of their 20, but last year Feagles lack of leg strength reared its head and grabbing Dodge and his booming leg to get schooled by Feagles as he takes over the punting duties addressed a pretty pressing need. Edit: Feagles has since retired making Dodge our Punter this was a need and hopefully Jeff can stick around to give the kid some pointers.
B

Overall - B+
We grabbed a lot of raw talent but it comes with good work ethic, this class won't pay off right away but in 3 years could be looked back at as one of the very best from this draft.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,740

Post#40 » by cgf » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:46 pm

I_Love_NYK wrote:I think Sintim will have a breakout 2010, and I can see Fewell using Phillips, Rolle and Grant on passing downs. They drafted Chad Jones just incase Phillips is not fully recovered. Michael Johnson will just be special teams he was horrible in 2009. Corey Webster, I guess it was the fact that there was no pass rush and he really isn't as good as I thought? Or he is just not the type of guy who is good to play Zone Coverage. He was solid in 2007 and 2008 all over receivers. I think Bernard will be cut, he was absolutely useless, I still see potential in Canty.

Corey is a purely man corner, the guy just can't play zone, but in straight man he's one of the best in the league.

Everyone here's talking about our linebackers but I'd like to point out that with how **** our DL was last year, especially inside, it didn't matter who our linebackers where. I firmly believe that Goff can be every bit as good as AP has been since he got fat and if we improved our DT play, which I think we did, that's perfectly fine. Clearly the team is going to give Sintim his shot at SLB this year and I like that move, the kid's a great run stuffer and get rush the passer, his coverage is weak but on passing downs he'll be off the field or rushing the passer. Our biggest problem last year was our run D as it was just pathetic, that led to a lot of pathetic redzone D, that should be resolved now.

With the additions of Rolle, Grant, Jones and JPP our pass D should be fixed as well, Safety is no longer a position entirely dependent on Kenny Phillips and his arthritic knee and at DE we have solved the position long term. Last year Tuck hurt his shoulder early, Kiwi was still too weak and Osi wasn't the same guy he was before his injury. Who knows which of those issues will be fixed this year, having a guy who can give us another situational pass rusher this year and a starter in a year or two is a great pick because Osi just may never be the same, Kiwi may struggle to keep his weight up and not be re-signed next year and Tuck may just keep getting hurt. We had a lot of talent at DE already, but with how important that position is it doesn't mean we didn't have questions there as well.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Return to New York Giants