And1: 0

Re: Washington Wizards Board Combat Sports Thread 

Post#21 » by Zerocious » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:27 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#22 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:56 pm

ZonkertheBrainless wrote:You guys are nuts. Watching guys beat the brains out of each other is fun. Jesus Christ.

+1

Having beaten guys in the past, and having had my butt kicked, fighting for real is great, too.
Bye bye Beal.
ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst

Post#23 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:52 am

Gotta love the guy with the big "CONDOM DEPOT" advert on his shorts...
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.
Zerocious
Sixth Man

Post#24 » by Zerocious » Tue Dec 1, 2009 3:36 am

my brother is a limodriver and drove randy couture around for a few hours
Zerocious
Sixth Man

Post#25 » by Zerocious » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:44 pm

Zerocious
Sixth Man

Post#26 » by Zerocious » Fri Dec 4, 2009 12:37 am

do what ever you can to not miss this UFC 107 fight night. It's nearly as huge as UFC 100 was!

BJ Penn vs Sanchez

Frank Mir vs Sheik Kongo

Kenny Florian vs Clay Guida

john Fitch vs Mike Pierce

link >>>this is going to be good
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#27 » by Ed Wood » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:16 am

Alright ya'll I know it's been a little while and I know you've been missing it and I know you need it bad so I'm'a give it to you. It's the CST coming back at you, I'm gonna take you back like spinal tap. I am just about the most unreliable poster on the boards but this one was too sweet not to come back for another taste, and coming up this Saturday is a pretty big deal ya'll so there's no better time to talk a little bit about that sweet science that also let's you hug another man tight.

Scheduled for this upcoming Saturday is UFC 116, headlined by a fight between the current interim Heavyweight Champion, Shane Carwin, and the plain ol' Heavyweight Champion, Brock Lesnar. Even if this weren't a really interesting fight on paper it would appeal to an awful lot of fans because Everybody Likes Heavyweights for whatever reason and these two are about as heavy as weight will allow.

But it's not just an opportunity to watch a couple of huge dudes with no shirts on, it's also a genuinely interesting matchup that I really do not feel I can confidently predict the outcome to. Both guys have shown really dominant components of their game, Carwin knocks everybody out and Lesnar takes them down and then knocks them out, and neither has been put in a situation where they've had to deal with what the other guy can potentially bring to the table.

I'd tentatively pick Lesnar because with dominant wrestling it's possible to dictate the terms of the fight and Carwin is probably not much of a danger fighting off of his back but while Lesnar has a top pedigree both as a fake wrestler with the WWE and as a real wrestler as a collegiate national champion at Minnesota (fun fact he actually lost in the national championship in 1999 to current Patriots lineman Stephen Neal, who did not play football in college) but Carwin was also a successful collegiate wrestler, albeit at the Division II level, and Lesnar is also coming off of a long layoff and a serious illness.

Also on this card is an opportunity to watch pretty boy Judo expert Yoshihiro Akiyama get hilariously ko'ed by zombie impersonator Chris Leben and the man with the creepiest looking body in the world, George Sotiropouos, hopefully have a great grappling heavy contest with less weird looking but also probably less effective grappler Kurt Pellegrino. Elsewhere on the card include Chris Lytle will probably not pull off another kneebar against Matt Brown and the man who beat Kimbo Slice, (for the first time officially) Seth Petruzelli, will match up against a man who seems very fond of submissions but who I don't know anything about.

Let's get it on people.
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#28 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:51 am

Rafael122 wrote:UFC is coming to Fairfax, VA in January. January 11 is the tentative date. I'm interested in going to this show. Nick Diaz is scheduled to fight, as is Gray Maynard.

About time! I can almost guarantee if the card has any merit whatsoever I'll be there with some buds of mine
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#29 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:55 am

ZonkertheBrainless wrote:But in MMA I've seen at least three knockouts by a kick to the head because you have to guard against the takedown, you can't lean back the way they can in kickboxing so a kick to the head is devastating when executed properly.

Speaking of being taken out by a kick, this takes the cake. I think I touched cotton when I saw that happen live.
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80776525/
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#30 » by Hoopalotta » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:04 am

Damn, is that AMC Gremlin a sharp ride or what?

Racing stripes on a cherry hatchback? Who's gonna top that?
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,184

Post#31 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

NbdyBeatsTheWiz wrote:
ZonkertheBrainless wrote:But in MMA I've seen at least three knockouts by a kick to the head because you have to guard against the takedown, you can't lean back the way they can in kickboxing so a kick to the head is devastating when executed properly.

Speaking of being taken out by a kick, this takes the cake. I think I touched cotton when I saw that happen live.
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80776525/

Same thing that happened to Cro cop, the guy was expecting a kick to the midsection and he went high instead. Probably had been mercilessly pummeling him in the kidneys for three rounds and then bam!

Brock got his butt kicked a few times -- can't defend against jujitsu. I guess I missed the bout where he got the heavy weight championship, last time I saw him some no-name got him with an arm bar.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#32 » by barelyawake » Thu Jul 1, 2010 7:32 pm

I'm not an MMA fanatic by any means, though I used to watch it quite a bit when it first came out. My favorite moment (and perhaps the reason I became addicted for a year or so) involved Royce -- whom I had never heard of at the time. Royce was on the ground, flat on his back, and his opponent was repeatedly slamming fists into his face. Then, the announcer said something that seemed utterly ridiculous at the time, "Royce has him exactly where he wants him." I chuckled thinking, "So, flat on his back being pummeled in the face is a power position?" Not five seconds later, Royce grabbed the dude's hand and twisted it until he tapped out. One of the coolest things I've ever seen.
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#33 » by likwitdesi » Thu Jul 1, 2010 8:01 pm

I'm not a big fan of this weekend's card. Lesnar vs Carwin should be good but all the other fights look pretty bad, especially with Wanderlei Silva, who I was hoping to see for the first time, pull out.

I actually enjoyed last week's Strikeforce card. History was made as Fedor was upset and suffered his first real loss in his career. I also had a ton of fun watching Cung Le fight. He seems too old at this point to hit the big time in MMA, but I hope to continue watching him over the next few years.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#34 » by fishercob » Thu Jul 1, 2010 8:08 pm

The extent of my knowledge and interest in combat sports:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3FQCZrFS94[/youtube]
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
RealGM

Post#35 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Jul 5, 2010 5:20 pm

Figures that just when I get sick of forking over 50 bucks a PPV, UFC delivers with a good card. I didn't view UFC 116 but it was a good one. Fights were so good that Dana White thought he was having a heart attack. So drained at the end he couldn't attend the afterparty. Dude had to go home and take a nap.

I saw MSNBC's highlights of Carwin/Lesnar. Carwin gassed but had Brock in a world of hurt. Lesnar really won some fans not only holding on, but regrouping to score a takedown and to slap an arm triangle on Carwin. I KNOW there will be a rematch.

Hawaii-boy (seen him around) Chris Leben won, too. He's one of my favorite fighters.

Man, just when I don't pay for a UFC event it delivers.
Bye bye Beal.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#36 » by Rafael122 » Mon Jul 5, 2010 5:27 pm

UFC 116 was top to bottom, one of the best cards they had ever put on. Lesnar is a man beast. The fact that he's incoporating submissions now will make him unstoppable.

I don't know if there will be a re-match. Maybe down the line, but Lesnar has to fight Cain Velasquez, and if he gets by Cain, he's gotta fight Junior Dos Santos.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#37 » by Rafael122 » Sun Aug 8, 2010 1:52 pm

You guys need to watch Silva vs. Sonnen. Amazing fight.
RealGM

Post#38 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Aug 8, 2010 3:09 pm

Raffy, I had THE BEST TIME watching the fight! O.M.G.

I found a family-friendly restaurant and watched UFC 117 with my 8 and 10 year old boys. Doing that beat the heck out of ponying up the money watching UFC at home. Paying $45/50 bucks every 3 or 4 weeks for UFC on PPV is getting ridiculous. My kids got in the restaurant free, too. I only paid a $10 cover and had a great time with folks at my table.

THE FIGHTS ROCKED ALL NIGHT LONG, BUT THE SONNEN FIGHT WAS INCREDIBLE!

How on earth did that happen?
Bye bye Beal.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#39 » by Rafael122 » Sun Aug 8, 2010 4:24 pm

I dunno man, I'm just glad Silva fought b/c his last 3 fights have been brutally bad.
RealGM

Post#40 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:02 pm

I'm already hyped for Toney vs Couture, coming up in a couple Saturdays.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewr ... mma-262709

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBlDK-w8QZk[/youtube]

Seems only fair to me that if a boxer fights an MMA fighter in the Octagon, abiding by UFC rules; then there should also be a subsequent fight that features the same MMA fighter stepping into the boxing ring to face the boxer.

Honestly, this could be springboard to major events.

Oscar De La Hoya could try MMA (and get killed) against an MMA Legend like Royce Gracie. After that, he can knock out Royce. Fans could decide who's the greater warrior via texts.

All the football players that want to do MMA should get a shot. MMA guys like Shane Carwin (or a lesser name, not in his prime) can try out for teams. I know former Redskin Micheal Westbrook (the guy that beatdown Stephen Davis) is a BJJ black belt. Hershel Walker is supposedly darned good in MMA to just be picking it up.

The Toney fight can go down as a freak show, or it could be a springboard if Couture boxes him.

Hearing about this fight reminded me about Kimbo Slice being a street fighter who simply stood up and banged--no gloves and very few rules, outside of it being a standup match. I would like to see some of the guys in MMA who beat Kimbo in their world fight him in his.

This cross-challenge warrior thing has a lot of potential. (This is another of my ideas I wish I made money off of--I get these before they happen for real).
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards